• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

gilko79

Oct 27, 2017
Ivalice
Brie is great. You can tell she genuinely enjoys these games. She was super excited for Animal Crossing to come out because it would allow her to play with her sister during quarantine.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Is female derogatory? I am lost. Should I have said actress instead?

Adjectives are dehumanizing when used as nouns; you are basically reducing the identity of a person to one quality, one that typically "others" them compared to the "normal", e.g.: "The blacks", "the jews", "the gays", "the transgenders", etc. It's always preferable to use "gay people", "black people", etc.; you are acknowledging they have something in common, but that something is not all they are.

In the case of "female" it's doubly egregious because we already have a word for "female person", so you can't even claim to use it for brevity (yes, that word is "woman").

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
I hope she doesn't get much hate in the comments, that was a fun watch. When she started nerding about her Switch it was hilarious lol

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
She's resilient to the absolute bullshit hatred she gets (yes, here too, I see you idiots) and I really admire her for that.

Akelisrain

Oct 30, 2017
Bel Air MD
Adjectives are dehumanizing when used as nouns; you are basically reducing the identity of a person to one quality, one that typically "others" them compared to the "normal", e.g.: "The blacks", "the jews", "the gays", "the transgenders", etc. It's always preferable to use "gay people", "black people", etc.; you are acknowledging they have something in common, but that something is not all they are.

In the case of "female" it's doubly egregious because we already have a word for "female person", so you can't even claim to use it for brevity (yes, that word is "woman").
Alright, understood. I apologize.

Oct 25, 2017
This whole oh my gosh a celebrity likes a thing I like thing is sad and weird, like yeah dawg it's fucking playing video games it's a real common activity.

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Alright, understood. I apologize.

It's OK, you made a honest mistake. People can be a bit harsh sometimes and I'm guilty of having jumped on the bandwagon too. We're so used to seeing it used with full knowledge of the implications that we jump the gun on people who honestly don't know about it.

Don't let it get to you. The important thing is that you learned something very useful today. :)

Saifu

Oct 27, 2017
User banned (1 week): sexist joke
So when is she going to be an E-girl and start her Twitch career too?

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
This whole oh my gosh a celebrity likes a thing I like thing is sad and weird, like yeah dawg it's fucking playing video games it's a real common activity.

I find it far sadder that people believe we don't know, keep projecting this weird idea that the thread isn't about "oh my god guys this is literally unbelievable", and feel the need to smugly tell us (over and over) how over it they are.

We like Brie Larson. We like videogames. We like knowing what she's into. It's really not that fucking complicated, chief.

Oct 25, 2017
User banned (1 week): trolling over multiple posts, driving thread derail
I find it far sadder that people believe we don't know, keep projecting this weird idea that the thread isn't about "oh my god guys this is literally unbelievable", and feel the need to smugly tell us (over and over) how over it they are.

We like Brie Larson. We like videogames. We like knowing what she's into. It's really not that fucking complicated, chief.
I mean if you can't feel comfortable with one of your chosen hobbies without external validation from celebrities I think that's pretty sad, chief. And that's what's happening here.

entrydenied

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
She's resilient to the absolute bullshit hatred she gets (yes, here too, I see you idiots) and I really admire her for that.

And she either didn't know about it or was pulling a Mariah Carey I Don't Know Her

Captain Marvel's Brie Larson Reveals She Wasn't Actually Aware Of Her Haters

When Captain Marvel was initially released in theaters, fans were divided about the movie, ...

Brie Larson replied, "They did? Oh. I didn't even know," suggesting that she was never aware of such criticisms prior to the movie's release.

"I don't have time for it, you know?" Larson says. She adds, "the things that I have extra time to really look at are like: Am I eating healthy food? Am I drinking water? Am I meditating? Have I called my mom today?"

Jadow

Oct 27, 2017
Why do people feel the absolute need to post in a thread they have no interest to begin with?

Hope she gets a warm welcome in Youtube, she seems like such a nice gal

B4mv

Nov 2, 2017
Seeing the overall mood in this thread compared to the Jack Black thread is actually pretty disgusting.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
That made more sense in your head didn't it? You can make another attempt if you want.

Made perfect sense to me. Should we break it down for you?

I mean if you can't feel comfortable with one of your chosen hobbies without external validation from celebrities I think that's pretty sad, Chief.

I find something here very sad all right.

stop-projecting-t-shirt.jpg

Oct 27, 2017
I'm side-eyeing everyone being cynical or dismissive in here cause Brie larson is like the most hated actress among people who use the word SJW.

Anyway, Brie's awesome, games are awesome and fun lowkey youtube content is awesome. So I'm pretty excited to watch her YouTube channel.

laikalot

May 30, 2020
I mean... One glance at the comments should say enough

They were decent when it first went up and now are full of the worst people. So many people short circuit of the thought of her simply existing and really need to let everyone know about how mad it makes them feel.

Ah, everyone's favorite banned from Magic the Gathering loser made a video about her joining youtube. I presume they're mostly brigading from that.

Last edited:

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Is it projecting? Or was it just a statement about what I think of this type of celebrity worship that you felt the need to respond to some impotent bluster, that you're now trying to distance yourself from?

"Is it projecting? Or is is [flat earther-level theorycrafted projecting]". Please go on, I'm busting my fucking ass over here. :D

Also, am I missing something or did you just call your own post "impotent bluster"?

VirtuaModel

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Brie Larson is super cool and does a lot of good with her platform. I look forward to following her YouTube channel.

Dullahan

Always bets on black
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Her video is the most wholesome thing I've seen in a long time. I love this woman.