• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Shingi_70

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Well deserved. I'm still only half way though but when the string quartet version of thank me next plays in the first episode you knew it was gonna be fire.

Delphine

Fen'Harel Enansal
Administrator
Mar 30, 2018
France
I mean I knew the show was a hit, and I personally enjoyed it enough, but still I'm surprised at the high numbers it's pulling. Congratz to them!

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
I don't know anyone that watches this IRL. Didn't know it was that big.

Kaversmed

Oct 27, 2017
Denmark
I feel like Netflix says about every new show they put out. Wasn't Queen's Gambit their new record holder before Lupin and now Bridgerton?

cDNA

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like Netflix says about every new show they put out. Wasn't Queen's Gambit their new record holder before Lupin and now Bridgerton?
No, biggest for 28 days was still the The Witcher.
The Witcher 76 million.
Lupin 70 million * Expected the 28 days period have not finished.
Queen gambit 62 Million

Nightwing123

Oct 27, 2017
Congrats to everyone that worked on the show. Every woman and gay guy I know has watched it. I enjoyed the show a lot for what it was a fantasy romance with a lot of drama, any issues I have can be fixed in a season 2.

Twstr709

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah it's pretty massive but I don't know how much rewatches are counted. I know several that are on their third viewing, one being my wife.

Seesaw15

Oct 27, 2017
Delicious. Probably won't watch season 2 because it not focused on Regé-Jean Page's character but me and my friends had a blast with season 1.
e0dd581e4530801479ae26fe4edeae8116-c----.rhorizontal.w700.jpg

Wubby

Oct 27, 2017
Japan!
Heh. I watched it as I like dramas that take place in a historical setting. Was decent and binged it all the way through. Could see the identity of the gossip columnist coming a mile away though.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
More than Stranger Things? Huh. Wild. I've never even heard of this.

sfedai0

Oct 27, 2017
Oh damn Shonda was behind this? I was wondering what happened to her after her big deal? What else has she made?

ThereAre4Lights

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I want to like Shonda shows, they seem like fun and have good queer representation, but I can't get into them. HTGAWM seems like semi-decent web-browsing background TV, that's about it.

Piggus

Oct 27, 2017
Oregon
Doesn't surprise me at all given the huge popularity of regency romance books, and the show seems really faithful to the genre (but way less graphic lol). Liked it a lot more than I expected to and my wife had me get the audiobook for her. >_<

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Wife and some LGBTQIA+ friends have mentioned this, didn't know there was diversity here but I wonder if the writing is as good as the rep. Will watch at some point if I'm dragged into it haha.

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
I feel like these kind of statements from Netflix have lost all meaning. Every few months there's a new "biggest Netflix show of all time". I mean, Stranger Things S3, The Witcher, Tiger King and Queen's Gambit all were the biggest shows on Netflix ever.

Bridgerton's record means nothing, it will be toppled in three months by the next show Netflix wants to push.

sfedai0

Oct 27, 2017
Damn, I guess this shows the reach that Netflix has. A show that isnt full on action/thriller and is aimed at a specific demographic still draws record amount of viewers,

Hrodulf

Oct 25, 2017
82 millions of households watched >2min during initial 28 days.
This will never not be the dumbest way of tracking how popular their stuff is. I don't have any interest in this show, but there are things I've watched on Netflix for just a single episode or less than that and it's kind of absurd that is considered a "view" in that case.

henhowc

Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Why are people surprised a show is breaking records during the pandemic? Netflix gained a ton of new subscribers this quarter and passed the 200 million mark.

I guess its like when I say "I don't know anyone that plays Battle Royale or F2P games" heh

The show is good fun btw.

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
Not surprised. Downton Abbey/The Crown (i.e. the 'upper' classes) + good looking people having sex was always going to be a big hit. It was all the women in my office talked about for a few weeks. Factor in the ever-increasing subsciption base and people basically shut in their homes at the minute and it was a pretty safe bet to do big numbers.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like "Horny Downton Abbey" is an easy sell.

"Pride and Prejudice with black folks and Billie Eilish String Quartet covers"

Honestly, my gf and i loved it. Ironically, the two "main characters' " arc was the most annoying, because the premise is just so super duper dumb.

The duke had an incredibly abusive father and when his father was on his death bed, he swore to him that he would take the family name and his legacy to the grave by never fathering children. Now, of course, he falls in love with young Miss Bridgerton and it's the "I don't love you ... okay i do ... but i can't give you a family ... okay when i said can't i mean't don't wanna ... why are you mad at me ... okay i love you more than i hate my daddy ... ok let's make a baby

I found the other characters much more interesting / charming, especially raspy voiced Eloise!
eloise-bridgerton-home-1607632220.jpg

This will never not be the dumbest way of tracking how popular their stuff is. I don't have any interest in this show, but there are things I've watched on Netflix for just a single episode or less than that and it's kind of absurd that is considered a "view" in that case.

But it's rather safe to assume that Bridgerton doesn't have an exceedingly larger proportion of folks who drop it after 10 minutes (or an episode) than any other show.
So it's likely still the most watched. Albeit not by 82 Million households.

Meanwhile, one might wonder if by household they mean "Netflix accounts" ... because my account alone has watched the show 3 times (me and my gf; my mom; a buddy of mine; who all share the same Netflix credentials)

Last edited: