• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
If I ever amass enough money. I want to burn down a plantation house to the ground. Maybe even have a party for it.

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
How long before these weddings feature "Jumping the Broom"?

"So, like, I read that slaves couldn't get married because they weren't seen as human so they did this jumping broom thing and I thought that's exactly what happened with me and Brad because his friends like totally hated me because they thought I was snobby when we first met and got mad when he threw up on my shoes after I gave him my number. But the next day he apologized and we all hung out again and they loved me so its like totally a story of adversity and like, overcoming stuff. So yeah. But I wonder, if it was a slavery thing maybe we should make it really authentic and like, totally hire some black actors to be slaves"

Gaia Lanzer

Oct 25, 2017
Some whites just can't help being racist.

What the fuck is wrong with some white people and their "Gone with the Wind" fantasies?

Last edited:

Snowy

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
Sorry, but wanting to get married at a plantation is fucked up, unless it's one of the ones John Brown visited.

Akira86

Oct 25, 2017
Should we have burned down the concentration camps too? I'd rather these monuments to human stupidity exist than be scrubbed from history.
except people aren't making money off of concentration camps as destination spots and wedding venues. Their history isn't obscured, and when it is, at least the law gets involved to correct the fuck out of the idiots that try.

julian

Oct 27, 2017
I get the comparison to getting married to a concentration camp, and no it's not hyperbolic or offensive to make. Pretty fitting honestly. But let's be real. Concentration camps are ugly. If they were half as scenic as plantations, dumb mother fuckers would be getting married in them too.

Oct 27, 2017
Should we have burned down the concentration camps too? I'd rather these monuments to human stupidity exist than be scrubbed from history.
The families that enslaved people are making money by pretending the south was some romantic idea. So yes. Burn them. Should have given all the land to the former slaves and imprisoned the traitors.

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017

concentration camps remain standing as a testament to the horrors mankind is capable of with the intention of preventing those horrors from being repeated*, and while some plantations are maintained for the same reasons, many are literally advertised as party and wedding venues

*it should be noted that humanity has fucking failed step one

Typhon

Oct 25, 2017
except people aren't making money off of concentration camps as destination spots and wedding venues. Their history isn't obscured, and when it is, at least the law gets involved to correct the fuck out of the idiots that try.

So nationalize them and make them historical museums/monuments

Akira86

Oct 25, 2017
So nationalize them and make them historical museums/monuments
in America?
me?

i mean seriously, you say it like it's so simple.
so take the private property of a citizen, turn it into a monument to slavery, a thing the majority either want to forget or obscure or completely re-write.
to teach the true history of...? In...again, America?

ironically the old families would probably burn them down themselves then.

Last edited:

crimsonECHIDNA

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
in America?
me?

i mean seriously, you say it like it's so simple.
so take the private property of a citizen, turn it into a monument to slavery, a thing the majority either want to forget or obscure or completely re-write.
to teach the true history of...? In...again, America?

ironically the old families would probably burn them down themselves then.

Seriously, it was only just in the past couple of years that the nation collectively as a whole went "Huh, maybe we shouldn't hang the Confederate flag at our Government buildings."

Mitch

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (Permanent): Derogatory language and trolling over concerns of racism; prior bans for inflammatory behavior
have ryan reynolds and blake lively spoken about it
Fucking disgusting, didn't know he was such a piece of shit
ryan reynolds? of course he's a pie....oh never mind. keep personal biases in check...do not reveal the ghost...

but seriously have you ever seen his movies? Green Lantern? that Jazz Movie?
wow FUCKING CANCELLED how could he FUCK EVERYTHING POSITIVE HE'S EVER DONE REEEE

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
wow FUCKING CANCELLED how could he FUCK EVERYTHING POSITIVE HE'S EVER DONE REEEE

you actually don't have to defend multimillionaires in the entertainment industry when people point out that they got married at a plantation, where actual human beings were tortured, and murdered, and kept as property, you weirdo

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
"everything positive he's ever done" lmao he's an actor that makes minimum seven figures per movie and gets stuntmen killed not a first responder

Akira86

Oct 25, 2017
Why would anyone want to get married in a plantation that's just creepy and gross.
imaging that your creepy and gross is someone else's comforting and beautiful.

"these huge houses and gigantic plots of land that whiteness built. look at what my skin color hath created."

i can only imagine the validation must feel something like returning to Africa for a black person.

NervousXtian

Oct 27, 2017
Why would anyone want to get married in a plantation that's just creepy and gross.

Because the place has beautiful areas that are great for large events. I think preserving the history of the place, but still using the land isn't as bad as people here are making it seem. I mean is any land that used to house slaves off limits? Just larger plantations?

The articles quotes some stupid dumbass people for sure, but honestly I think a lot of folks getting married are just looking for a picturesque place that's setup for these kinds of things.

Oct 27, 2017
Because the place has beautiful areas that are great for large events. I think preserving the history of the place, but still using the land isn't as bad as people here are making it seem. I mean is any land that used to house slaves off limits? Just larger plantations?

The articles quotes some stupid dumbass people for sure, but honestly I think a lot of folks getting married are just looking for a picturesque place that's setup for these kinds of things.
All that 'beauty' had a cost of real human lives. It is that bad.

SoH

Oct 25, 2017

Poo-tee-weet.

xbhaskarx

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NorCal
Any relation to Jesse Helms?
The criticism against plantation weddings, Helms said, largely comes from social media and people who don't live in the South.

"Because of the world we live in now, it's all about race and everyone wants to put everyone in a different category," she said. "I think it's a shame because everyone's so accepting, and social media is dividing people because people get so offended by everything."
No one was putting other people in a "different category" on southern slave plantations until people on social media who are not even from The South started doing so....

EdibleKnife

Oct 29, 2017

You could spend every day of your life finding beautiful and picturesque locations perfect for celebration all over the world and never run out of places while completely avoiding places intrinsically tied to wide scale oppression, slaughter and rape. They aren't forced to choose plantations for their festivities let alone defend them and attempt to minimize their impact.

Deleted member 11976

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just another example of folks feeling entitled to something because they want a Kodak moment. Don't bring the ugly to them and make them face the history because they'd have to feel uncomfortable for a few minutes and you know they can't handle that.

NervousXtian

Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (1 Month): Dismissing Concerns of Racism Over Multiple Posts
You could spend every day of your life finding beautiful and picturesque locations perfect for celebration all over the world and never run out of places while completely avoiding places intrinsically tied to wide scale oppression, slaughter and rape. They aren't forced to choose plantations for their festivities let alone defend them and attempt to minimize their impact.

I'll be honest, that's not easy to do anywhere. America was stolen from the indigenous people who were here, they were raped, oppressed and slaughtered en masse all over this country. This country, everywhere you look was built from taking advantage of oppressed people. This story wants us to get outraged by some stupid quotes of moronic people. That's the point of these stories. In the grand scheme of things, does it matter if people get married there? Does stopping the weddings there make one split of difference in helping minorities in our country? This is just distraction. We gotta be better than this.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
I remember going to an old slave plantation on a long field trip as a kid (Virginia). Really nice place. The guides seemed respectful when they explained the history and slavery. That said I wouldn't want to get married there "because of history". That's fucking weird, but middle class whites never fail to impress me with how deaf they are to racism sometimes.

jchap

Oct 27, 2017
When I was looking for houses in Virginia, one had a landmark called a slave ditch as the boundary of the property. Turns out it was ditches the land owners had the slaves dig then fill in in the winter to keep them in shape. Couldn't buy that house. That is some bad juju.

Mortemis

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
These scum couldn't even enjoy their racist joke of a wedding destInation quietly, they really had to come and show their ass.

This shit ain't defendable, full stop.

Heri

Oct 28, 2017
"I have always wanted a plantation wedding," Helms, who is white, told BuzzFeed News. "I've always dreamed of getting married at Boone Hall, just because of the location and the history. Everything about Boone Hall is beautiful."

What the fuck...

The criticism against plantation weddings, Helms said, largely comes from social media and people who don't live in the South.

Gee i wonder why.

"Because of the world we live in now, it's all about race and everyone wants to put everyone in a different category," she said. "I think it's a shame because everyone's so accepting, and social media is dividing people because people get so offended by everything."

Oh, so you chose to celebrate your wedding in a place like that, specifically because of its history (which is horrifying) and you say it's not about race ... yeah no, you're a racist and full of shit.

Keuja

Oct 27, 2017
Well, I guess the racists needs a place of death and suffering to celebrate their unholy union.

Nola

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I'll be honest, that's not easy to do anywhere. America was stolen from the indigenous people who were here, they were raped, oppressed and slaughtered en masse all over this country. This country, everywhere you look was built from taking advantage of oppressed people. This story wants us to get outraged by some stupid quotes of moronic people. That's the point of these stories. In the grand scheme of things, does it matter if people get married there? Does stopping the weddings there make one split of difference in helping minorities in our country? This is just distraction. We gotta be better than this.
As a transfer from the north to the south I will slightly disagree in that I do think articles like this are designed to elicit outrage for profit, but my faulting is that it doesn't really help evoke the larger issue deeply plaguing white culture in the south and that is the whitewashing of the antebellum south impressed upon people at an early age. Often through things like plantations.

Where the dark history is ever present but ignored and whitewashed simultaneously. To the point I have many otherwise "woke" White friends that took a minute to even realize the inherent issue with the culture of romanticizing plantations everywhere. Some even initially took the position of "well this is different than romanticizing Goebbels mansion"...until they realized it wasn't. I genuinely think a number of people, minus those that clearly demonstrate they know better, are so brainwashed that they don't mentally connect the history with the "history." Or if they do think everyone has just moved on and accepted their repurposed understanding of the properties.

Most white people grow up with family outings or school trips to plantations, dinners or social gatherings held there, and they are objectively beautiful properties and buildings(because of the blood money and long line of people wanting to maintain them, often for bad reasons, especially early on). The tours mostly all treat the slaves as an after thought to the central focus of the luxurious but less advanced lives of the owners. At a young age the properties are fed to people in a way that elicits positive association and very little in a person's upbringing will expose them to anything as impactful in terms of contextualizing the darker realities. And I think it is ongoing cradle to grave cultural indoctrination like that that leads to these sorts of objectively ignorant and offensive practices being continued and that not breaking the cycle will continue to have negative social and economic effects on minorities. As it serves as a mental wall to accepting the harsh realities and thus a willingness to address their legacies.

Nov 1, 2017
Countering every aspect of America that continues to promote white supremacy is important yes.

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017

This isnt an excuse at all there are alot of places like that are are not drench in blood and suffering.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
Imagine getting married in a place where black people were literally enslaved, and having the audacity and white privilege to say something like "well since these days since things are all about race...". Like how tone deaf and stupid can you be? Jesus I can only hope these morons are sterile.