• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

How often are you likely to lose a save file ?

• Highly likely

Votes: 7 10.6%
  • Slightly likely

Votes: 4 6.1%
  • Not likely

Votes: 37 56.1%
  • I prefer to backup to the cloud

Votes: 18 27.3%

• Total voters
Oct 25, 2017
Yesterday I found my Switch screen was turned on despite being in docked mode with an error and asking me to press and hold Power button for 12 seconds to force a reboot. None of the instructions available on Nintendo's website had worked like pulling out the charging adapter for a few hours, so I called Nintendo today and because I don't have warranty left I need to print a specific repair service letter, and ship it to them before they will call and ship a package to me so I can return the defected console for repairs. It's a hassle but besides the point.

I actually wouldn't mind to just buy a new switch instead of repairing my current but then we're back to save files. My animal crossing save can't be backed up and I don't want to lose 230 hours invested into that. Is my only alternative to repair the device to continue playing AC? I don't think I have it installed on the micro SD card.

Instant Vintage

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
I just went through this with my kid's Switch.

Sadly all of your information is done for, even with repairing. There is a small chance that they would be able to save your information, but I wouldn't bet on that.

The AC save is tied to the console and not the account, so even if you could transfer it over, it wouldn't matter as it would be on a different console, something that fans have been upset about even before the release of AC.

I wish you luck in whatever you choose to do.

Wereroku

Oct 27, 2017
Animal crossing had no way to backup the save. Also the last time I sent my switch in I lost everything.

LQX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ugh, still cant believe Nintendo got away with not providing proper saves for Animal Crossing considering people are investing hundreds of hours. It would be gut wrenching to lose a save file after spending so much hours on a game.

Mutedpenguin

Dec 5, 2017
I had the same error message..in exactly the same way...and it was with Animal Crossing. I just rebooted as stated and it worked fine for me.
You shouldn't lose any data when you do a reboot like that. Did you actually try and do what they told you?

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA
Ugh, still cant believe Nintendo got away with not providing proper saves for Animal Crossing considering people are investing hundreds of hours. It would be gut wrenching to lose a save file after spending so much hours on a game.
They never got away. They were criticized for not providing cloud save since a few weeks before launch of Animal Crossing, and that never died.

OP
OP
Oct 25, 2017
Just wondering, what happends if you reboot the system? Do you get the same error message?
The system don't do anything. I find it weird how it was powered on with an error screen, I remember the system felt really warm too when I picked it up, I think the moment I touched the power button the device died and no matter how long I hold the power button it still wouldn't boot. Having tried to unplug the AC adapter from the wall and let it rest a few hours before plugging it back and on to the switch has not worked.

Deleted member 14313

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Is the save thing unique to AC, or are all Switch saves tied to console/account?
Unique to AC. Most games allow paid cloud saves with Nintendo Switch Online. A few exeptions don't (e.g. Pokémon, Splatoon) but even those allow you to transfer saves between consoles manually. Animal Crossing doesn't even allow that.

The normal system is already bad because it doesn't allow any free backups whatsoever (only transfers), unlike Sony's free local storage backups and Xbox's free cloud saves but Animal Crossing takes that a step further by not allowing paid cloud saves or transfers.

Last edited:

Lagamorph

Wrong About Chicken
Oct 26, 2017
Is the save thing unique to AC, or are all Switch saves tied to console/account?
The no backups is something applicable to a few games like Animal Crossing, Pokemon Sword/Shield and Splatoon 2.

Most other games allow you to make a backup of your save in the Cloud (Provided you have a Nintendo Switch Online subscription) but certain games explicitly/purposefully block that feature from functioning. The official explanation is to prevent cheating, which is nonsense as Splatoon 2 is utterly full of cheaters anyway.

minimalism

Jan 9, 2018
Pokémon and AC don't use Ninty's cloud saving option. They are tied to the console they're played on, but I think pokemon can be transferred to a new Switch.

Nintendo did say they were working on some sort of save transfer solution for this year though, so there's that.

Deleted member 14313

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Pokémon and AC don't use Ninty's cloud saving option. They are tied to the console they're played on, but I think pokemon can be transferred to a new Switch.

Nintendo did say they were working on some sort of save transfer solution for this year though, so there's that.
Pokémon (and Splatoon) isn't tied to console. While you can't backup saves you can transfer them. AC is the only game that doesn't allow transfers in addition to cloud saves (though as you say, Nintendo say they are working on a second transfer system solely for AC).

Oct 27, 2017
I hope the guy who was so hung up on cloud saves being used to "cheat" at animal crossing has seen the huge amount of hacking and black market for villagers that has happened despite his backward views.

Menchi

Oct 28, 2017
UK
Unique to AC. Most games allow paid cloud saves with Nintendo Switch Online. A few exeptions don't (e.g. Pokémon, Splatoon) but even those allow you to transfer saves between consoles manually. Animal Crossing doesn't even allow that.

The normal system is already bad because it doesn't allow any free backups whatsoever (only transfers), unlike Sony's free local storage backups and Xbox's free cloud saves but Animal Crossing takes that a step further by not allowing paid cloud saves or transfers.
The no backups is something applicable to a few games like Animal Crossing, Pokemon Sword/Shield and Splatoon 2.

Most other games allow you to make a backup of your save in the Cloud (Provided you have a Nintendo Switch Online subscription) but certain games explicitly/purposefully block that feature from functioning. The official explanation is to prevent cheating, which is nonsense as Splatoon 2 is utterly full of cheaters anyway.

Oh okay then, so a bit of a mixed bag. Thanks for the info all!

minimalism

Jan 9, 2018
Pokémon (and Splatoon) isn't tied to console. While you can't backup saves you can transfer them. AC is the only game that doesn't allow transfers in addition to cloud saves (though as you say, Nintendo say they are working on a second transfer system solely for AC).
Yeah that's how I thought it worked. I learned about that first hand when I got my Switch stolen and lost my SwSh save. Never restarted it since I didn't want to play another 40 hours of it.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
That's weird. This just happened to ours the other night for the first time ever. Wife was playing Clubhouse Games and the error popped. Tried resetting it, tried full power down, etc. Error would continue appearing. Slight panic set in.

What worked is I completely shut it down, removed and reinserted the SD card, and powered it back on. Haven't had any issues since (knock on wood)

Deleted member 18161

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Still in development, hampered/delayed by COVID-19.

Probably the July 3rd datamined info will give some hints on when the service will begin launching.

Okay thanks. Why would cloud saves for it be different to other Switch cloud saves? Wouldn't it just be the same thing.

I assumed they didn't want people using cloud saves due to possible hacking / cheating.

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Okay thanks. Why would cloud saves for it be different to other Switch cloud saves? Wouldn't it just be the same thing.

I assumed they didn't want people using cloud saves due to possible hacking / cheating.
Which is dumb because the system is wide open and hacked switches can transfer the save all day

Mutedpenguin

Dec 5, 2017
Thanks for the suggestion. I've tried this but I think my console is completely dead. The screen has not been able to power on since the error screen
Probably a very silly question (given that you have mentioned the power button several times), but you are holding down the power button on the top of the Switch itself as opposed to just the home button on the joy-con? I so rarely use the power button to power the device on/off(due to just waking the Switch by pressing the home button) that I almost forgot there was an actual power button when I had to reset mine.

test_account

Oct 25, 2017
The system don't do anything. I find it weird how it was powered on with an error screen, I remember the system felt really warm too when I picked it up, I think the moment I touched the power button the device died and no matter how long I hold the power button it still wouldn't boot. Having tried to unplug the AC adapter from the wall and let it rest a few hours before plugging it back and on to the switch has not worked.
Understood. Thats a pity :\ The only thing i can think of trying in that case is to open the Switch and unplug the battery, holding down the power button for like a minute or so, then reconnect the battery again. The same thing happened to my parents' laptop (suddently it wouldnt turn on), and the solution was the take out the battery and reconnect it.

EDIT: Or have you tried to hold down both the power button and the volume bottons (or one of them) at the same time? Then the Switch should boot into a recovery mode. I'm not sure if this will help though, but its worth a try.

Woylie

May 9, 2018
Yikes, Nintendo really needs to get on with the cloud save backup for ACNH. I've already put 300 hours into my island, and I'm basically living in fear that this is going to happen and just erase everything, after hearing several horror stories.

Diving is great and all, but please just add the save backups already.

Pancakes R Us

Oct 27, 2017
I wish you good luck in getting it sorted, OP. Sending it in to Nintendo will probably mean you lose everything, unfortunately.

I understand Nintendo is working on a cloud solution for later in the year, but really that shit is inexcusable. It should've been an option at launch. I've personally sunk I. Maybe more than 150 hours into the game. I'd be gutted if I lost it my save.

Please fix your shit up, Nintendo.

Roo

Oct 25, 2017
What's Nintendo's reason for no AC cloud save files?
Cheating is the first thing that comes to mind.
I personally don't know what kind of shenanigans people could pull by abusing the cloud saving system since you can already cheat by time traveling and there have been a couple of truly severe game exploits that completely broke the in-game currency.

Not the best solution but it'd be cool if we could save to the cloud even if they restricted how many times we can get access to it (say; once every week or two) or something like that.
it is still bullshit but infinitely better than not having any kind of back up at all.

hanmik

Editor/Writer at Popaco.dk
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Try holding down volume up and down at the same time .. with the buttons still pressed, press and hold the power button.. after a while you will be in recovery mode.
Select Restore Factory Settings Without Deleting Save Data ..

This works on most switch consoles..

OP
OP
Oct 25, 2017
Understood. Thats a pity :\ The only thing i can think of trying in that case is to open the Switch and unplug the battery, holding down the power button for like a minute or so, then reconnect the battery again. The same thing happened to my parents' laptop (suddently it wouldnt turn on), and the solution was the take out the battery and reconnect it.

EDIT: Or have you tried to hold down both the power button and the volume bottons (or one of them) at the same time? Then the Switch should boot into a recovery mode. I'm not sure if this will help though, but its worth a try.
Try holding down volume up and down at the same time .. with the buttons still pressed, press and hold the power button.. after a while you will be in recovery mode.
Select Restore Factory Settings Without Deleting Save Data ..

This works on most switch consoles..
Thanks for the suggestions. None of this worked as my Switch refuses to turn on. I've tried using my sisters AC adapter to charge to see if it's something wrong with my current but a few hours later it's still dead.

EDIT: haven't tried to open the switch and take out the battery