• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Samiya

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 30, 2019
Wow, my hype for this game has completely cratered. As if 2020 couldn't get any worse, one of the people responsible for one of my all time favorite games is thrown under the bus and replaced by someone known for streamlining and finishing Ubisoft productions. Mitsoda put his blood, sweat, and tears into this project and even went out of his comfort zone to do PR for the game, despite how challenging it is for him.

And even if this game turns out good, the way that Mitsoda has literally worked his ass off the last 5 years to bring this game to fans and then thrown under the bus makes me not even want to support Paradox. This mishandling has really left a bad taste in my mouth. Absolutely horrific news :'(

Dec 4, 2017
Paradox are infamous for milking the everloving shit out of their franchises. I refuse to buy Paradox games until it's crystal clear they have stopped development on them, so I could buy the complete collection.
Anyone willing to bet that they didn't feel confident that Mitsoda would accept their demands for cutting up the game into DLC content?

Samiya

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 30, 2019
As Funky Papa pointed out, the fact that they have open positions for senior positions this late in development and this close to release next year is extremely worrying.

zmtsNTU.jpg

Hiring a senior systems designer this late in the production is a really bad sign and shows how much they are likely to change with the game's original game design.

Bebpo

Feb 4, 2018
Trying to stay optimistic. Given the delay, maybe the game was finished but needed more time to polish and the publisher wanted to cut costs during the delay period and reducing paying salary to the staff who they didn't feel were necessary for the polishing period? Then again, why would they hire a replacement writer. So idk, definitely a weird situation.

nillansan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Denmark
I was so excited about this game, being a massive, massive fan of the first game this absolutely heart breaking. I also loved the fact that they embraced a lot of progressive values, which is rarely seen in the industry.

Funky Papa

Oct 28, 2017
As Funky Papa pointed out, the fact that they have open positions for senior positions this late in development and this close to release next year is extremely worrying.

zmtsNTU.jpg

Hiring a senior systems designer this late in the production is a really bad sign and shows how much they are likely to change with the game's original game design.
And they are a small team, too. I get that people come and go in this industry, but it's not like they have an army of animators to manage. Those are important positions.

BloodRayne

Jul 3, 2020
This is terrible. While the gameplay videos weren't looking good, Brian was the big reason of why I was still interested in the project. Now... what's going to happen?

Altazor

Oct 25, 2017
Chile
They will lose a fuckton of goodwill with this move. There's already talk of petitions and the fan reaction is unanimously negative.
IDK what management galaxy brain thought the best thing to ensure the success of a game that relies heavily on cult following of a 15 year old flawed gem would be to fire the narrative lead of the first game.

"fuck the cult following, we need new customers. They don't care about names, the product must be SHINY!"

In any case, awful fucking news. There's no way to spin this as positive.

Samiya

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 30, 2019
And they are a small team, too. I get that people come and go in this industry, but it's not like they have an army of animators to manage. Those are important positions.

To re-hire these positions a year before planned release is really bad too. Damn, this is just terrible news.

This is terrible. While the gameplay videos weren't looking good, Brian was the big reason of why I was still interested in the project. Now... what's going to happen?

My guess: The guy and his company who has helped editorialize and close productions of major Ubisoft titles will come in and steer the project into an acceptable mainstream product that ticks boxes to obtain a 80+ metacritic rating.

element

Oct 27, 2017
Sad to hear about anyone getting fired and especially people I know personally, but I think fans are overreacting a little here. While not to diminish Brian's contributions, he is a storyteller, and there is TONS more involved with the development of the game than just it's the story. I would assume the story for VTM2 is largely complete and the development is hyper-focused on implementation. Things like balance, hooking up quests, hooking up dialogue trees, setting navmesh, prop placement, NPC behavior, and the list can go on and on. Getting these systems working is not the responsibility of the narrative designer and given Brian's previous games, these underlying systems didn't get the polish they needed.

While I understand that people are upset with the idea that the 'heart of the game is gone', it isn't like they are restarting the game and getting rid of the foundation that Brian and Ka'ai put in place.

I think you are reading into it far too much. Given the interruption in work due to COVID and that likely all work will be remote through the rest of the year, do you really want to hire a junior-level person in any position? You can't on-site train them. You can't afford the delay in ramping someone up on your internal processes who might have limited or zero experience in a game this size. So given all that best to hire someone that you know can step in and start contributing immediately.

Additionally, you really need to separate Brian's work (story and dialogue) from implementation. Senior System Designer is a position focused on combat, something Brian's role really didn't focus on and Content Design is likely hooking up quests, again not something Brian's role focused on outside of these are the stories for the quests.

The rest of the positions are pretty normal openings. Most studios are always looking for programmers, cinematics animator is honestly something you would bring on later in a project as you need most of the production work done and audio is ALWAYS last.

So nothing really to read into here specifically on the roles that they have open.

Hardsuit Suit is NOT small with around 120 people.

Last edited:

Samiya

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 30, 2019
Sad to hear about anyone getting fired and especially people I know personally, but I think fans are overreacting a little here. While not to diminish Brian's contributions, he is a storyteller, and there is TONS more involved with the development of the game than just it's the story. I would assume the story for VTM2 is largely complete and the development is hyper-focused on implementation. Things like balance, hooking up quests, hooking up dialogue trees, setting navmesh, prop placement, NPC behavior, and the list can go on and on. Getting these systems working is not the responsibility of the narrative designer and given Brian's previous games, these underlying systems didn't get the polish they needed.

While I understand that people are upset with the idea that the 'heart of the game is gone', it isn't like they are restarting the game and getting rid of the foundation that Brian and Ka'ai put in place.

I am sorry, but this is kind of offensive to read given Mitsoda's own statement and the amount of tremendous work he has put into it. He literally says how disappointed and hurt he is by the sudden firing after having worked for 5 years. You coming in and saying that his role is somehow not needed any longer because he's the narrative designer unfortunately comes across as incredibly dismissive of a person's importance to the overall project and the blood, sweat, and tears he has put into realizing the game.

Getting a 'closer' with experience in Ubisoft AAA experiences most definitely means that the game will be retooled into something else - see also the Discord statement on creative differences as one of the reasons why Mitsoda and Cluney were fired.

I think you are reading into it far too much. Given the interruption in work due to COVID and that likely all work will be remote through the rest of the year, do you really want to hire a junior-level person in any position? You can't on-site train them. You can't afford the delay in ramping someone up on your internal processes who might have limited or zero experience in a game this size. So given all that best to hire someone that you know can step in and start contributing immediately.

Additionally, you really need to separate Brian's work (story and dialogue) from implementation. Senior System Designer is a position focused on combat, something Brian's role really didn't focus on and Content Design is likely hooking up quests, again not something Brian's role focused on outside of these are the stories for the quests.

The rest of the positions are pretty normal openings. Most studios are always looking for programmers, cinematics animator is honestly something you would bring on later in a project as you need most of the production work done and audio is ALWAYS last.

So nothing really to read into here specifically on the roles that they have open.

Me listing the positions has nothing to do with Mitsoda's role but the general nature of the project. In game development, you simply do not hire senior positions this late in development with under a year to release. Especially not a systems designer, something that is almost never pinned down at the end of a project. It is precisely the fact that a senior systems designs is hired this late. These are warning signs.

Funky Papa

Oct 28, 2017
Hardsuit Suit is NOT small with around 120 people.
I stand corrected.

The size of the effects/art team is even more shocking then. But I guess that explains some of the stuff we've seen.

Some of those positions have been open for quite a while, though. I remember talking about it in the OT well before the pandemic.

In any case, communications regarding the state of the game have been so utterly poor (if not broken) it's hard not to try to fill the blanks.

I just hope Mitsoda's work remains unmolested.

Last edited:

Soundchaser

Oct 25, 2017

This doesn't make sense, considering that Paradox's stated reason for the firings is "creative differences" and also the fact that Brian himself is surprised by this turn of events.

Samiya

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 30, 2019
I just hope Mitsoda's work remains unmolested.

Since you seem like you're a big Bloodlines fan also, won't you find it hard to enjoy the game given the way Mitsoda described his experience and disappointment? Even if his work is good and remains in the final product, I will still have a difficult time enjoying something that is part of a mistreatment of the creative workers who are ultimately responsible for this existing. I'm only curious, because it is something I'm struggling with.

Oct 25, 2017
Paradox claiming "creative" differences that Brian appears to be unaware of makes it seem like Hardsuit senior leadership must have thrown Brian and Ka'ai under the bus. There's definitely some bullshit going on.

Braag

Nov 7, 2017
How odd. The first game's flaws didn't lay in it's world or narrative but the gameplay, bugs and overall jank so it's weird that they want to fire the guy who actually nailed the good parts of the first game.
I kinda have a bad feeling for this game even though I hope they manage to turn it all into something good.

Patsy

Jun 7, 2019
Germany
I really, really hope this isn't because of the narrative turning "too progressive" for Hardsuit & Paradox. I remember how happy they were at the reveal when they talked about the narrative being more progressive & for example fixing some of the ableism irt the Malkavians & staying true to the original in that it will definitely take political stances. Man, I really hope it's not because of something like that. :(

Funky Papa

Oct 28, 2017
Since you seem like you're a big Bloodlines fan also, won't you find it hard to enjoy the game given the way Mitsoda described his experience and disappointment? Even if his work is good and remains in the final product, I will still have a difficult time enjoying something that is part of a mistreatment of the creative workers who are ultimately responsible for this existing. I'm only curious, because it is something I'm struggling with.
It dampens my enthusiasm quite a bit. Most of all because I'd be fine if they just told "look, we are far behind schedule and something needs to be done", but the whole thing about creative differences really reeks of Vampire V5 shenanigans and Paradox suddenly waking up to something they didn't like at all.

Again, filling the blanks here. Hopefully we'll get more details.

I really, really hope this isn't because of the narrative turning "too progressive" for Hardsuit & Paradox. I remember how happy they were at the reveal when they talked about the narrative being more progressive & for example fixing some of the ableism irt the Malkavians & staying true to the original in that it will definitely take political stances. Man, I really hope it's not because of something like that. :(
Doubt it. Some particular parts of the recent PnP material are so comically woke the lack of self-awareness hurts. Almost as if they were trying to compensate for the V5 beta snafu.

Last edited:

element

Oct 27, 2017
I am sorry, but this is kind of offensive to read given Mitsoda's own statement and the amount of tremendous work he has put into it. He literally says how disappointed and hurt he is by the sudden firing after having worked for 5 years. You coming in and saying that his role is somehow not needed any longer because he's the narrative designer unfortunately comes across as incredibly dismissive of a person's importance to the overall project and the blood, sweat, and tears he has put into realizing the game.
I know very well how long they have been working on it. I see this as someone writing a book and the publisher bringing in an editor to polish it. If anything to say that the game success is 100% on Brian's shoulders is incredibly dismissive of the other 120+ people on the team working on it.

Getting a 'closer' with experience in Ubisoft AAA experiences most definitely means that the game will be retooled into something else - see also the Discord statement on creative differences as one of the reasons why Mitsoda and Cluney were fired.
polish and thrown away are two totally separate things. I highly doubt that the guy that they brought in is going to start re-writing things and making radical changes. Do you really think HSL or PDX wants to throw away four years of work and start over?

Me listing the positions has nothing to do with Mitsoda's role but the general nature of the project. In game development, you simply do not hire senior positions this late in development with under a year to release. Especially not a systems designer, something that is almost never pinned down at the end of a project. It is precisely the fact that a senior systems designs is hired this late. These are warning signs.
As someone who has worked in games for 20 years, you are ALWAYS looking for senior people. You make it sound like they don't have designers already and just figured it out that they need the position. Well a quick look shows they have three system designers and tons of level designers. Again, if you read my previous post and the impact of COVID interrupting the development of the game, it makes sense to hire a more senior position as they can step into the role without much training. There is nothing wrong with a team seeing that they need someone to take the ball and run with it over spending a couple of months getting someone up to speed.

Last edited:

Samiya

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 30, 2019
I know very well how long they have been working on it. I see this as someone writing a book and the publisher bringing in an editor to polish it. If anything to say that the game success is 100% on Brian's shoulders is incredibly dismissive of the other 120+ people on the team working on it.

You're solely thinking about the end product, I'm talking about the way that the actual people responsible for this game are getting mistreated by their company. You should probably read Mitsoda's letter again if you think it's just about bringing an editor in to polish it. Obviously he feels incredibly disrespected and exploited after 5 years of hard work.

As someone who has worked in games for 20 years, you are ALWAYS looking for senior people. You make it sound like they don't have designers already and just figured it out that they need the position. Well a quick look shows they have three system designers and tons of level designers. Again, if you read my previous post and the impact of COVID interrupting the development of the game, it makes sense to hire a more senior position as they can step into the role without much training. There is nothing wrong with a team seeing that they need someone to take the ball and run with it over spending a couple of months getting someone up to speed.

My own experience in game dev and my read of the situation is that the re-tooling of the project either meant firing a bunch of people who then need to be replaced and/or required a change in game design (see the "creative differences" thing you still haven't acknowledged) that meant hiring senior positions to crank it out in a year. It's still a warning sign.

Sibylus

Oct 25, 2017
So, setting aside troubling portents for the game... at first blush this entire thing is unseemly.

Corporate fixer flack swoops in with all the right buzzwords and sales on the resume to soothe panicked executives, takes the job of a long-term dev who was passionate about the project, and his predecessor and predecessor's close friend (equally long-term and passionate) is unceremoniously taken off the project and fired in a horrific pandemic. Does he have a friend waiting in the wings to be parachuted into Mitsoda's job, or does this hustle pocket him that money and prestige too?

Yeah, never seen this one before!

I hope Brian and Kai'ai land on their feet, and that it's in a place that values them and their dedication beyond lip service.

dude

Oct 25, 2017
Tel Aviv
I have to admit I didn't know the Mitsoda love is that strong. I'll have to admit his zombie game, whatever it was called, cooled me on him by a lot.
Anyway, hope we learn what happened. I'll still be looking forward to V:tM, but this for sure feels weird to be happening this late in development.

Samiya

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 30, 2019
I have to admit I didn't know the Mitsoda love is that strong. I'll have to admit his zombie game, whatever it was called, cooled me on him by a lot.
Anyway, hope we learn what happened. I'll still be looking forward to V:tM, but this for sure feels weird to be happening this late in development.

he's a very genuine and soft guy. I appreciated Eurogamer's interview with him (before VTMB2 was even announced). where he's super nice and honest about the development:

www.eurogamer.net

Reanimated: The story of Vampire: The Masquerade Bloodlines

Every Sunday we dust off an article in our archive that you might have missed at the time or we think you'll enjoy agai…

Nov 29, 2019
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Been thinking about this all day, and decided to cancel my pre order of the Blood Moon edition. I fear for what will happen with the game and with Brian's work, what will change or get cut, I fear the original vision won't be there anymore. Also, the fact that even though he has problems with PR work (anxiety and etc), Paradox made him the "face" of Bloodlines 2 development only to cut him in this manner... It's dirty and infuriating.

element

Oct 27, 2017
You're solely thinking about the end product, I'm talking about the way that the actual people responsible for this game are getting mistreated by their company. You should probably read Mitsoda's letter again if you think it's just about bringing an editor in to polish it. Obviously he feels incredibly disrespected and exploited after 5 years of hard work.
I read it. I can understand the frustration, but I think there is more to the story that we don't know about.

Again, I know HSL very well and know lots of people other than Ka'ai and Brian who contributed to the game for 5+ years.

My own experience in game dev and my read of the situation is that the re-tooling of the project either meant firing a bunch of people who then need to be replaced and/or required a change in game design (see the "creative differences" thing you still haven't acknowledged) that meant hiring senior positions to crank it out in a year. It's still a warning sign.
Who is using the word 'retooling' and 'creative differences' other than fans? Given that they were fired, not let go, means there is some more to the story here.

As for the idea of creative differences, I honestly could see conflict gameplay vs story. PDX doesn't want another 'broken gem' on their hands with VTM2. Combat needs to be fun. Missions/Quests need to be rewarding. The sound needs to be compelling. And the story needs to be engaging. It needs to be console friendly as the game will be on various platforms. In today's market and the cost of development, the game can't be successful on the story alone. So if there were conflicts in pushing narrative over gameplay, I can see PDX and HSL reviewing where the debate is coming from.

As for the warning signs. Sure any game delayed is a warning sign. But would you rather have them not hire anyone at all because of budget limitations or hire a junior person to help who honestly will take months to ramp up and likely cause more problems in the process? Again, you are looking at this in a vacuum 'oh shit they are looking for a system designer! how can they be looking for that now! the game must be a mess.', when it is likely closer to 'hey, we have a lot of work to do get this game done and polished, so we decided to open up some senior positions to help us make it to the finish line.'

While I'm sad for Brian and Ka'ai, I also disappointed in the reaction from the fans towards the other 100+ people who have worked on the game for 5 years as well as if their blood, sweat and tears are worthless compared to Brian and Ka'ai. I can understand going from excited to spectical, but throwing the baby out with the bathwater because two out of likely 200 working on it is a disappointing reaction.

Samiya

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 30, 2019
Given the fact that there is a global pandemic going on and the economy is in the shitter, it feels even scummier that they fired two people in the midst of this major societal crisis. Especially in a country where your healthcare is reliant on your employment.

Gabbo

Oct 25, 2017
We don't have any real examples of mistreatment though, other than these two people being let go from the project under murky circumstance?

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017
While I'm sad for Brian and Ka'ai, I also disappointed in the reaction from the fans towards the other 100+ people who have worked on the game for 5 years as well as if their blood, sweat and tears are worthless compared to Brian and Ka'ai. I can understand going from excited to spectical, but throwing the baby out with the bathwater because two out of likely 200 working on it is a disappointing reaction.

While there is truth to this, because games are not made by individuals but instead a collective, you must understand and appreciate the gravity of losing two extremely senior leads of a project and what that historically implicates within a project's production. There is no way to normalise this; losing your creative director alone is a huge deal. It is uncommon and in an overwhelming majority of cases indicative of a project that is failing. The entire purpose of replacing your creative director is to position new talent in a role that by virtue of title will oversee major elements of the production pipeline and ensure the project is completed to the publisher's standard.

And I know you know that, but the issue his is that firing Mitsoda is also a huge red flag, as while he was also in a position of creative authority he was not the creative director. He was the narrative lead, and most projects will not lose a narrative lead unless the their position in leadership for that role is compromising the workflow or scope of the project. As Brian said, he is under no belief that the narrative team was involved in discussions that lead to the recent delay. But Paradox removing him from the project implies that Brian's contribution was hindering the project and they'd be better off without him.

Naturally that's what most people are now very concerned about. Not that Hardsuit Labs isn't filled with extremely creative and talented people working hard to see this through, but the inherently bad news that two very senior, directorial, leadership positions have now been opened at the expense of two staff members that were, up until this point, integral to seeing the project and vision through. Not restructuring of their roles, not bringing in consultation, not even dismissing or negotiating the loss of a creative director or whatever, but terminating the contracts of both your Creative Director and Narrative Lead.

This simply does not happen to this extreme in a standard production unless both parties are directly at fault for what is essential a disastrous project in dire need of either a total overhaul or new leadership in multiple areas, essentially a project so broken that the publisher has no confidence it'll ship in a desirable state or within budget unless major leads in multiple departments are replaced, or the publisher has intention to make major changes to the project that were rejected by the creative leads and the only way to see these changes implemented is to remove them from the project.

I don't think it's fair people dismiss the enormous amount of work put in by others. Cara Ellison is still there and in a major role, too, if we want to single out talented individuals in a position of a leadership. But the entire situation is still worrying due to the inherently volatile nature of the decisions and their timing. People have run this circus too many times where games lose creative leads and the project appears to change direction or ends up underwhelming. And while neither Paradox nor Mitsoda nor anyone else needs to give people the full story, fans are naturally going to be unsettled when Mitsoda's namesake holds so much sway. He was narrative lead on the original and shaped much of the tone, cast, and stories that fans grew to love. He was integral in forming the pitch and premise for this sequel. He's been working on this in some capacity for five years. And, as he noted, despite reluctance to take on PR duties was ultimately willing to do so as Paradox knew full well his namesake was important to sell this title.

And now here we are being told that Bloodlines 2 has been delayed again, the creative director has been fired, and the narrative lead who lead the original, pitched this project, and has been a centrepiece of marketing has also been fired. Either both of them screwed the pooch and the production was a mess because of their leadership, and Paradox is making a necessary call to see the game finished. Or Paradox was clashing with their leadership and vision and wants something else out of the title.

Soundchaser

Oct 25, 2017

Darmik

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I'm definitely concerned how this game is going to turn out now. I hope it works out well but I'm not optimistic. It's just more and more worrying news as time goes on. What a bummer.

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
Not looking forward to the game anymore really. They brought on a director from Ubisoft, add in Parsdox MTX shenanigans and I have 0 remaining faith on the title.

Oh well, I guess we will see, hopefully I am proven wrong.

Deleted member 9857

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The post about "creative differences" doesn't mention Outstar specifically: https://www.resetera.com/threads/br...-seem-to-have-been-fired.270897/post-42938880

oh I know, my point was just that it wasn't Outstar that said that since Claven specifically named her

I wish we could have gotten her honest take on it but since she works for World of Darkness now that's unlikely to happen, she was one of the ones that got me really hyped for V:TMB:2 with her videos back when she was just posting as a fan

Princess Bubblegum

I'll be the one who puts you in the ground.
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
A Cavern Shaped Like Home
This is worrisome.
With that, we are excited to announce that Alexandre Mandryka has come aboard as Creative Consultant, filling the Creative Director role for Bloodlines 2, and will help us in the final stages of development.
www.mobygames.com

Alexandre Mandryka - MobyGames

Alexandre Mandryka is a game designer, creative director and design director with experience on a wide variety of game genres on PC and consoles, centered in the core gaming market. After starting his career in France, he worked at Ubisoft Montreal for...
Seems they brought in someone that they think will help make the game have more accessible/appealing to a mainstream audience.

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017
I wouldn't read tooooooo much into Mandryka's hiring. There may be context due to his rapport, but it could also be a case of correlation is not causation, and his industry experience in senior leadership positions on AAA productions is inherently valuable from a consultation perspective irrespective of what those titles were. Naturally if you're going to hire consultation to come in and take over leadership roles you want someone who is most competent at their job, more than anything. Similar to how people get confused when certain directors in film continue to get work despite criticism of their film, or when directors are changed midway through production to someone who doesn't seem like the right fit; in most cases it's because that new director has a proven track record in getting work out the door. Michael Bay keeps getting work because he can handle a Hollywood budget and make bank, which itself is talent.

The real juice is why Mandryka is replacing Mitsoda and Cluney. Emergency hire at the tail end of production to right a ship that the latter two had sailed into rocks and Paradox saw getting further delays and a ballooning budget? Or hired to replace creatie leads and change the trajectory of a project that was otherwise on track?

Princess Bubblegum

I'll be the one who puts you in the ground.
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
A Cavern Shaped Like Home
I wouldn't read tooooooo much into Mandryka's hiring. There may be context due to his rapport, but it could also be a case of correlation is not causation, and his industry experience in senior leadership positions on AAA productions is inherently valuable from a consultation perspective irrespective of what those titles were. Naturally if you're going to hire consultation to come in and take over leadership roles you want someone who is most competent at their job, more than anything. Similar to how people get confused when certain directors in film continue to get work despite criticism of their film, or when directors are changed midway through production to someone who doesn't seem like the right fit; in most cases it's because that new director has a proven track record in getting work out the door. Michael Bay keeps getting work because he can handle a Hollywood budget and make bank, which itself is talent.

The real juice is why Mandryka is replacing Mitsoda and Cluney. Emergency hire at the tail end of production to right a ship that the latter two had sailed into rocks and Paradox saw getting further delays and a ballooning budget? Or hired to replace creatie leads and change the trajectory of a project that was otherwise on track?
I definitely understand it can be the case that they needed someone ASAP with experience in leading an open-world AAA project to completion.

You're right that why Mitsoda and Cluney were fired is more pertinent at the moment, as well as the current state of the project.