• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

loco

Jan 6, 2021
I'm hoping some new major details come in the next day or two. If he's hiding there's a good chance he's in communication with someone or staying at a friend's place.

Onebadlion

Oct 27, 2017
User banned (1 week): Hostility against another member, ignoring moderation instructions
Well it makes a lot more sense of why there are so many shitty people in the world with all these enablers in here.

Jesus Christ. I can't believe how quickly people say they would cover their kids murdering another innocent person. Some of you are messed up beyond hope.

Easy to say from behind your keyboard. I didn't say what I would or wouldn't do. Until you're in that position yourself getting on your high horse in here means nothing. So kindly fuck off with your shitty people accusation. It's all hot air.

FTF

Oct 28, 2017
New York
So the story from the parents is that he left in a car to go hiking on Tuesday. On Wednesday they went to the park and found his car and decided to drive it back to their place, then wait until Friday and file a missing person report.

They're either the worst parents ever or fully invested in covering for him.

Yes

OP
OP
rjinaz

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
Sadly, I think things are going to continue on in this fashion until the police declare it a criminal investigation.
I was just reading about Suzanne Morphew. It took a year to bring any charges against Barry Morphew, in large part because there is no body. Ultimately they just went with a "probable cause" charge, but even the judge admits that it's the weakest standard of proof and it's 50/50 whether a jury convicts.
www.denverpost.com

Case against Barry Morphew charged in wife’s death advances

A judge ruled Friday there is enough evidence for the case to proceed against a southern Colorado man who was charged with first-degree murder nearly a year after his wife disappeared on Mother&#82…

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
So the story from the parents is that he left in a car to go hiking on Tuesday. On Wednesday they went to the park and found his car and decided to drive it back to their place, then wait until Friday and file a missing person report.

Don't think I've ever seen a whole family go to jail

echoshifting

very salt heavy
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The Negative Zone
I was just reading about Suzanne Morphew. It took a year to bring any charges against Barry Morphew, in large part because there is no body. Ultimately they just went with a "probable cause" charge, but even the judge admits that it's the weakest standard of proof and it's 50/50 whether a jury convicts.
www.denverpost.com

Case against Barry Morphew charged in wife’s death advances

A judge ruled Friday there is enough evidence for the case to proceed against a southern Colorado man who was charged with first-degree murder nearly a year after his wife disappeared on Mother&#82…

There was a case in my city with a 7-year old boy (Kyron Horman) who vanished. It has always seemed obvious that his stepmother was involved in his disappearance (in fact both of his biological parents have practically publicly accused her, and the father was married to her at the time). But they've never found a body and there have never been any charges, for her or anyone else. A couple years after he disappeared the mom tried to bring civil charges against the stepmom, and the investigators convinced her to drop it because they said it would interfere with the criminal case. Now it's been eleven years and nothing. I guess it's often hard to get anywhere without a body. Always felt terrible for those people.

Sorry for the derail, I still think about that case all the time.

nilbog

Oct 25, 2017

Why do I feel like they planted the car at the Carlton Reserve to throw LE off? Because everything they've done so far has been to protect their son.

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
I can already see Keith Morrison narrate the hell of this story

dateline-mystery.gif

Oct 27, 2017
There was a case in my city with a 7-year old boy (Kyron Horman) who vanished. It has always seemed obvious that his stepmother was involved in his disappearance (in fact both of his biological parents have practically publicly accused her, and the father was married to her at the time). But they've never found a body and there have never been any charges, for her or anyone else. A couple years after he disappeared the mom tried to bring civil charges against the stepmom, and the investigators convinced her to drop it because they said it would interfere with the criminal case. Now it's been eleven years and nothing. I guess it's often hard to get anywhere without a body. Always felt terrible for those people.

I remember that, happened in Oregon. Here in Washington we had the Susan Powell case where it's very obvious her husband murdered her and hid the body (this happened in Utah, but he's from here and moved back), and her body has never been found. He was never charged. Then he murdered his two young sons and committed suicide a few years later.

OP
OP
rjinaz

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix

Sad story. Kind of mad the cops told her not to sue.

We learned with Casey Anthony though, sometimes even a body isn't enough to get these people.

mightynine

Oct 25, 2017
I would hope the stuff the parents pulled (if they are even remotely telling the truth) would lead to obstruction charges.

Bessy67

Oct 29, 2017
Don't think I've ever seen a whole family go to jail
If they all tell the same story and stick to it then they're fine. Hell, even if there are inconsistencies between their stories without a body they can't really charge anyone with anything.
If he fancies himself an outdoorsman he's probably doing a bad cover version of survivalism as we speak. Probably sitting hunched over in a creek shitting out parasites
He's been gone since Tuesday. He could be literally anywhere in the world, I doubt he's going to choose to rough it when he could just get a wig and a fake ID and get on a plane.

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017
If they all tell the same story and stick to it then they're fine. Hell, even if there are inconsistencies between their stories without a body they can't really charge anyone with anything.

He's been gone since Tuesday. He could be literally anywhere in the world, I doubt he's going to choose to rough it when he could just get a wig and a fake ID and get on a plane.
Can't they track that? It's not like the 99s with fake ids I thought

Beer Monkey

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
1) Getting parents convicted as accessories = good luck with that.
2) If he killed her the body will be found. Amateurs suck at effectively disposing of corpses. Live people who wander off and get themselves killed (like the German tourist family in Death Valley) are far, far more effective at leaving their bodies in hard to find locations.

just get a wig and a fake ID and get on a plane.

This isn't television.

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017
1) Getting parents convicted as accessories = good luck with that.
2) If he killed her the body will be found. Amateurs suck at effectively disposing of corpses. Live people who wander off and get themselves killed (like the German tourist family in Death Valley) are far, far more effective at leaving their bodies in hard to find locations.

This isn't television.
What if he killed her by letting her get lost

Juryvicious

Oct 28, 2017
IMO the hike is just a ruse. Someone else picked him up from there and drove him away, and the parents waited to report him "missing" and pointed out the hiking spot to buy more time by getting the police to conduct a gigantic wild goose chase.

100% this is how it went down. On top of not returning the calls and texts of the parents who's girl is missing for weeks, these motherfuckers have been obstructing day 1.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
100% this is how it went down. On top of not returning the calls and texts of the parents who's girl is missing for weeks, these motherfuckers have been obstructing day 1.
But can they even be charged with obstruction in regards to all these delay tactics they're using before this is declared a criminal investigation?

Oct 25, 2017
A lot of terrible takes in this thread.

If you're defending the parents just stop. Them "helping" him should have stopped at telling him to lawyer up. Everything they've done since then has been fucked up.

The best thing they can do to keep their son safe is to tell everything they know. if they know anything.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
A lot of terrible takes in this thread.

If you're defending the parents just stop. Them "helping" him should have stopped at telling him to lawyer up. Everything they've done since then has been fucked up.

The best thing they can do to keep their son safe is to tell everything they know. if they know anything.
They last saw him with a hiking back pack and didn't bother to tell him "hey maybe you shouldn't go out"

Oct 25, 2017
If he fucks off for some years and a body is never found he can just go back like nothing when it's no longer in the news

Beer Monkey

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I may have discounted the possibility that Brian will turn out to be a criminal mastermind who committed the perfect crime. /s

Badgerst

Oct 27, 2017

hmm, maybe. At this point LE has plenty they not saying; for example, with the FBI in now, there is almost certainly electronic surveillance bring done on every level of his family/people close to him. Any way he tries to reach out will be flagged.
If he is still alive, I give it 72 hours max before he "turns up".

Also this pos killed her.

Bessy67

Oct 29, 2017
Man I hope they catch them in a lie. If nothing else, maybe the city can sue them to cover charges of the search.
I doubt it. I'm sure police will corroborate that story, if this place is anything like the state parks by me then you have to drive past a building with an attendant when getting in to the parking lot. There's probably video or pictures of him entering the park, but he could have easily been driven out by someone else or walked out and gotten picked up.

Deleted member 70788

Jun 2, 2020
Easy to say from behind your keyboard. I didn't say what I would or wouldn't do. Until you're in that position yourself getting on your high horse in here means nothing. So kindly fuck off with your shitty people accusation. It's all hot air.
I don't think this post even dignifies a response. We're seriously calling people keyboard warriors and telling them to fuck off now?

Over me saying I wouldn't defend a murderer kid?

Last edited:
OP
OP
rjinaz

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
Me either. And if it weren't for the van, I'd doubt he ever actually returned home. Has he actually been seen anywhere since Sept 1?

Nope. I don't think we can say for certain he was there on September 1st. I believe a neighbor said the van was there on September 1st. But, we don't know who dropped it off for sure.

OP
OP
rjinaz

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
Update from Grand Tenton National Park Facebook
Update from the FBI (twitter.com/FBIDenver):
"Investigative activity at Spread Creek Dispersed Camping Area pertaining to the disappearance of Gabrielle "Gabby" Petito.
The FBI Denver Field Office and its Wyoming Resident Agencies, in coordination with the National Park Service, U.S. Forest Service, the Teton County Sheriff's Office, and the Jackson Police Department, have been conducting ground surveys at the Spread Creek Dispersed Camping Area in the Bridger-Teton National Forest on the east boundary of Grand Teton National Park. This area is closed to the public and will remain closed until the surveys are complete.
The FBI seeks assistance from anyone who utilized the Spread Creek Dispersed Camping Area between the dates of August 27-30, 2021 who may have had contact with Gabby or her boyfriend, or who may have seen their vehicle. If you were in the area and saw Gabby and/or her boyfriend or their vehicle, please provide that information to the FBI through these tiplines: tips.fbi.gov, 1-800-CALL-FBI, or 303-629-7171. Photos and videos may be uploaded via the FBI's digital media tipline dedicated to this case: fbi.gov/petito.
Gabby and her boyfriend were traveling in a white 2012 Ford Transit van with a variety of stickers on the back with Florida plate QFTG03. The FBI has a Missing Person poster that includes photos of Gabby and her van available for review or download here: https://www.fbi.gov/wanted/kidnap/gabrielle-gabby-petito.
While we cannot comment further as to the specifics of this investigation, we will provide updates and request additional assistance from the public when appropriate to do so."

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
I would like to think the circumstances of this case would make it comparatively easier to get a no-body conviction than in some other ones. He's clearly the last person to see her alive (unless he starts talking to the cops) and seems to be actively running from the police. Usually the killers come up with a lie about where the victim is that the cops have to disprove.

I remember that, happened in Oregon. Here in Washington we had the Susan Powell case where it's very obvious her husband murdered her and hid the body (this happened in Utah, but he's from here and moved back), and her body has never been found. He was never charged. Then he murdered his two young sons and committed suicide a few years later.

I vaguely remember in the 'Cold' podcast that the cops were finally getting close to an arrest when the murder/suicide happened. There was some trigger for it, but I don't remember what it was.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
I would like to think the circumstances of this case would make it comparatively easier to get a no-body conviction than in some other ones. He's clearly the last person to see her alive (unless he starts talking to the cops) and seems to be actively running from the police. Usually the killers come up with a lie about where the victim is that the cops have to disprove.
I have a sneaking suspicion he knew the walls were closing in around him. He wasn't going to say a word, so he ran in hopes that he could get away before they settled on arresting him. That, or he took his life.

OP
OP
rjinaz

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix

I vaguely remember in the 'Cold' podcast that the cops were finally getting close to an arrest when the murder/suicide happened. There was some trigger for it, but I don't remember what it was.
That's why his actions are so weird to me. Because it seems like if they try something like "probable cause", his actions are going to play a big part in what the jury decides and so far all of his actions just scream guilt. I don't feel his lawyer has done him any favors.

Looks like they have narrowed down her last known location to the Spread Creek area, possibly from cell pings.
I added a threadmark.
I hope that's the case, that they are narrowing her location down, well, for the parent's sake anyway.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.