• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hellshy

Nov 5, 2017
I mean I think a lot of families would do that. But not all of them, and not the majority I think.

Its most likely the other way around. Out of all the cases I have heard about, I can only think of one family who turned on a child, and that was Casey Anthony's parents. Makes a lot sense though being that the victim was their grand draughter.

People want to feel like they would do the right thing but I can honestly say I don't know what I would do if the incident has already occurred.

Biske

Nov 11, 2017
Protecting your kids is one thing, but protecting your kid when it involves making sure someone else may never know what happened to their kid?? That's some heinous shit that "parental instincts" doesn't cover.

Dudes been gone since Tuesday and the parents told the police about it on Friday? As she is missing and her parents have no fucking idea?

They can fuck right off.

LycanXIII

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I wonder if the van was at the parking lot where he was dropped off at.

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
This is truly disgusting if you even remotely think about what you're saying. Thank God for the ignore button.

Half the comments in this thread look like this to me: "You are ignoring content by this member. Show ignored content" lol...

I hope the mods don't lock the thread topic again though, this is a place for discourse after all. Just dole out temp bans for people who go too far.

Deleted member 17184

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Let's say he fled to another country and is found. Can they extradite him? I'm not from the US, so I'm not sure.

DoubleTake

Oct 25, 2017
I can take the dogpile, I'm just being honest. I'm not turning in any child I might have unless they are an active danger to the community like the unabomber. I may be disgusted with them, I may tell them I never want to see them again but I'm not calling the police.
This is one of the shittiest takes i've ever seen on this site.

Your kid kills someone and admits it to you. Unbeknownst to you he is actually a serial murderer. Because you just say "I dont want to ever see you again" but never report his crime he disappears to go on and kill more people. Good job, parent.

Drakeon

Oct 25, 2017
Let's say he fled to another country and is found. Can they extradite him? I'm not from the US, so I'm not sure.
I doubt he's in another country. But to answer your question, it depends on the country. If he's caught in Mexico, sure they would. If he's caught in Cuba, no,.

Oct 28, 2017
They sound like parents.

If you look back a few pages then you'd know I made a thread months ago on this topic and over half of the people in the thread agreed they would not turn in a family member. Hell, in about 14 states you can't even prosecute parents for harboring their children who are fugitives and more states that reduce liability if they do. Even the law recognizes that parents aren't expected to turn in their children.

I can take the dogpile, I'm just being honest. I'm not turning in any child I might have unless they are an active danger to the community like the unabomber. I may be disgusted with them, I may tell them I never want to see them again but I'm not calling the police.

How is protecting your child from the consequences of their actions being a good parent?

In a completely different situation, if my hypothetical child had a convincing argument that they were innocent and being framed for a crime that isn't murder... ok, maybe I wouldn't turn them in. (and even then, how would running away help?) But a case like this, where his gf is missing or dead, and her family is suffering because he won't even tell them where to look for her? No way

A few years back, police where questioning everybody who lived on a street I used to live on to try and solve a murder case. That letter ended up with my parents because I had moved away, so I got a really shocked message from my Dad asking what was going on. If my reaction would've been to go into hiding and refuse to speak to the police... I hope he would have called them

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
People in here admitting they'd cover for their son if he came home from a trip without his girlfriend and there were clear signs he murdered her or admitted as much.

Like, what the fuck.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
Half the comments in this thread look like this to me: "You are ignoring content by this member. Show ignored content" lol...

I hope the mods don't lock the thread topic again though, this is a place for discourse after all. Just dole out temp bans for people who go too far.
Basically this, I know it's more work but try to preserve the thread as I would imagine more to the story will be happening soon enough.

Br3wnor

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
A lot of people without kids in here, damn. Whether or not YOU would protect your kid isn't really the point, the truth is a whole lot of parents would protect their kid in this situation

Biske

Nov 11, 2017
A lot of people without kids in here, damn. Whether or not YOU would protect your kid isn't really the point, the truth is a whole lot of parents would protect their kid in this situation
Maybe help someone find out if their kid has been murdered or where they are before you protect your piece of shit kid

Hell get the info tell the girls parents and then commit crimes with your kid go nuts,but as a parent.. Fucking value that and help another parent and human being.

0ptimusPayne

Oct 27, 2017
Depends on the country. At the end of the day you cant just hop on a commercial plane and disappear. There is a massive electronic footprint when air traveling especially internationally. Your passports/state ID/ boarding passes with your name and flight information all over them All are Verified with TSA and the airliner you fly with. Obvisouly it becomes a different story once you land where you land, but the FBI would know where you ended up at and having to go through customs wherever you end up. My guess he's doing the same thing that he good at, Going off grid on US soil.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
People were going to great lengths to give this guy the benefit of the doubt before. Too much shit didn't add up, sad it had to come to this but once they find him they better deny him bail after locking his ass up until trial

I would protect my kid in this situation by making sure he gets the best plea deal he can possibly get, hopefully in one of the nicer prisons nearby so I can visit

FTF

Oct 28, 2017
New York
Not to keep harping on this, but those without kids saying "of course turn your kid in it's the right thing to do I'd call the police in a min!", etc, etc. are correct in that it's the morally right thing to do but are not understanding that many parents just wouldn't be able to turn their own child in even if they know they should. Posters aren't arguing that protecting ones child no matter what is the right thing to do, just that it could happen because they wouldn't be able to do that to their child.

Also, if that pic of him with a shaved head and barefoot by the house is real, then the parents are in on it and helping.

OP
OP
rjinaz

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
I think this is a bad take. You're both assuming that people in here against protecting your own kid from murder, are both childless or unable to know what they would do if they did have kids.

I would get a lawyer, and I would inform him to follow the lawyer's advice 100%. But that would be the end of my involvement. I would not let him stay at my house and continue to cover for him. I would also implore him that if he killed this woman, to tell the lawyer and work on a strategy with them where he can come clean.

He's 23. He's not a child.

You are correct though. There are a lot of selfish people in the world, and even on era that will protect themselves and their own above all else, even murder or simply just talking to the police to aid in finding a loved one. I think that's been made pretty clear between this thread and the last one.

Edit: I edited my post a bit because I said I wanted to keep this thread focused on the news, and I do. The last thread is, what it is.

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020

If you actually read the comment that started this, the guy was explicitly saying we shouldn't blame the parents if they are potentially covering up a murder and that no parent should do that.

Not that that matters, since the sentiment is still shit. It doesn't matter who would do it. I don't care if a lot of people would do that. A lot of people voted for Donald Trump. A lot of people also huff paint. Like what does it remotely matter what a lot of people do. When you're saying you'd protect your kid if they did anything outside being an active fucking terrorist, that is some straight up scary shit. I'll blame the parents for that, I'll blame the shit out of them

Warhawk4Ever

Banned
Jun 23, 2021
They sound like parents.

If you look back a few pages then you'd know I made a thread months ago on this topic and over half of the people in the thread agreed they would not turn in a family member. Hell, in about 14 states you can't even prosecute parents for harboring their children who are fugitives and more states that reduce liability if they do. Even the law recognizes that parents aren't expected to turn in their children.

As a parent of a 13 year old daughter and another on the way, this is a SHIT take. If my daughter possibly committed a MURDER or abandoned her fiance who is now missing and is now on the run while I knew where she was, you best believe I am turning her in.

The fact that you are justifying and defending the actions of parents, actions that very well could contribute to the death of their future daughter in law is horrid. Seriously, horrid.

Oh, come on. I'm happy for you that you've got this perfectly planned out and are immune to any other considerations, but the bad take here is you presuming that parents won't act like parents most of the time. Most reasonable legal systems don't even have the expectation of parents to be able to turn their children in, because in the end of the day, that's just human behavior. A child being a sociopath doesn't turn their family into one, in most cases they're also victims of circumstance.

Whether most legal systems do or don't require parents turning in their kids doesn't really matter whether you should be justifying said actions.

Seriously, the fact that so many here would hide out their children even if their kids have committed violent acts is a horrifying reality check. Jesus.

Oct 27, 2017
Ah, the you can't comment on parenting unless you're a parent cliche. A lot of parents might protect their kid in this situation (and I think most would draw the line at helping them to get away with potentially murdering their girlfriend), but that doesn't mean it's morally right or defensible.

Nola

Oct 29, 2017
If he was a nigga he already be on the third appeal of his death sentence
And if that person's fiancé were also of color, we wouldn't even be hearing about such a story on the national news.

Not to say this isn't a tragedy, or downplay the situation or emotional turmoil for everyone involved, but our country really only blows up over stories that's headlines can be written as "innocent looking young white woman/child goes missing"

And while there is some privilege at work for the guy, there is little doubt in my mind that more resources will ultimately be spent on her behalf thanks to this nation's palpable missing white woman syndrome that will force a prioritization of her case…. Meanwhile, 10 years in and little has been done toward resolving Athena Curry's disappearance and I will be more likely to win the Powerball tonight than ever see a situation where all three major cable networks, like is happening with this case, make their top headline the crisis of unsolved and unprosecuted sexual assault, rape, and kidnapping that is occurring to native woman across reservations in this country, at an alarmingly high rate, and overwhelmingly driven by non-native assailants.

Unrivaled

Banned
Oct 13, 2020
I think most parents would want to protect their kids as a first instinct. However, if they suspect something bad happened at the very least they should be sympathetic to another parent and return phone calls.

The fact they won't even answer her parents calls tells me a lot. I would not be surprised if they had a flight out of the country scheduled. They seem guilty of trying to help him get away with murder. They must know something.

OP
OP
rjinaz

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
I think most parents would want to protect their kids as a first instinct. However, if they suspect something bad happened at the very least they should be sympathetic to another parent and return phone calls.

The fact they won't even answer her parents calls tells me a lot. I would not be surprised if they had a flight out of the country scheduled. They seem guilty of trying to help him get away with murder. They must know something.
I think as a first instinct you do want to protect you kids sure, but protecting them can be done without helping them cover for a murder. Getting him a lawyer was actually them protecting him. Everything else they have done at this point goes well beyond that, it is covering for him. They had the missing woman's vehicle/home at their house until the police took it for crying outloud.

LeBigMac

Oct 26, 2017
User threadbanned: hostility

Never seen anyone on Era straight up admit they're an irredeemable piece of shit before. Jesus Christ

bawjaws

Oct 28, 2017

Sounds like you need to up your ignore game so that posts from ignored users don't show up at all. Cleans things right up.

sfedai0

Oct 27, 2017
Whew, if there was any doubt there are psychopaths with no moral compass whatsoever in Era, this thread should put it to rest.

Sunster

The Fallen
Oct 5, 2018
why? so you can go to prison too on some "blood is thicker than water" bs?

Deleted member 70788

Jun 2, 2020
I totally agree. It's easy to come on here and say you would do the right thing and turn him in, but if I ever found myself in that position I can't really say how I'd respond because those parental instincts are strong.
Well it makes a lot more sense of why there are so many shitty people in the world with all these enablers in here.

Jesus Christ. I can't believe how quickly people say they would cover their kids murdering another innocent person. Some of you are messed up beyond hope.

May 14, 2021
Dude shaved his head and is walking around in the woods barefoot.
I mean, his head was shaved for the entirety of their trip together.

As for parents protecting their kids, even Chris Watts dad allowed himself to be used by police to get an admission of guilt out of his own son. But then again at the sentencing hearing where his crimes were read aloud in front of the parents of the woman he murdered, his mom stands up, takes the mic and says she forgives him.

Deleted member 70788

Jun 2, 2020
And a lot of people would easily swap places with Bezos or whatever for a lot less despite the ethics they espouse. So? People are shitty and thus, it's ok to be shitty? Nah.

Oct 30, 2017
Look on the bright side. He doesn't have kids atm. So at least he hasn't had the opportunity to cover for a murder.
Lol this site has some straight up weirdos.
I mean it's a bunch of kids on an Internet forum with bad social skills and inflated opinions of their intelligence. Comes with the territory. They have no idea what they're talking about.

Chumunga64

Jun 22, 2018
They sound like parents.

full offense intended

you and everyone who agrees with you are fucking nut jobs

Dec 2, 2017
They sound like parents.

Dogpile? Acting like your a victim when you state you would cover up for a murderer or fuck knows what? That's quite a take.

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
This whole story is already tragic.
The family of the guy basically saying fuck all to protect their son, who is now "missing" (on the run).

It's terrible. My heart goes out to the Petito family. I hope they find their daughter, even if it looks like at this point she may no longer be alive.

Also, I'm on the last episode of the Podcast Your Own Backyard (incredible) and without spoiling anything, I see some similarities with this case and it's just heartbreaking in both.

Hope they find this boyfriend fucker so they can find out what happened to Gabby.

rsfour

Oct 26, 2017
Hmm, my kid might've done something heinous, and is a person of interest. I better hide them in a different state or country. Better make sure I give them a bunch of money and a few days head start before notifying the police.

Deleted member 70788

Jun 2, 2020
Hmm, my kid might've done something heinous, and is a person of interest. I better hide them in a different state or country. Better make sure I give them a bunch of money and a few days head start before notifying the police.
Sound like a great parent according to half this thread!

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
Sounds like you need to up your ignore game so that posts from ignored users don't show up at all. Cleans things right up.

Oh shit, I had no idea that setting even existed.

edit: hmm, although it makes reading threads a bit weird as now everyone in this thread is acting outraged at a non-existent user lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.