• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

InkyVulture

Oct 26, 2017
Didn't have this on my 2020 bingo card...

Hope this means he'll be putting things out on his own YT channel then.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Sucks for Polygon, only reason I was subbed to their YouTube channel. Guess I'll catch him on his personal one.

Issen

Nov 12, 2017
The only reason I watch Polygon anything. I'll be checking him out whatever he does next.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
My favorite person to watch videos of, probably of all time. Can't wait to see what's in store for him next. Collaboration with Kyle Bosman, my second favorite? :)

The Shape

Nov 7, 2017
Brazil
I discovered his videos recently and felt like he was really hit or miss. Also most of Polygon YouTube channel is just him, so this will be weird for them for a while. Best of luck to him.

Jo-awn

Oct 25, 2017
New York, NY
I think BDG is going to blow up even more if anything since he's a very magnetic personality. With the creative freedom to spread his wings, the dude is going to get further than what he did under Polygon. Foregoing the 100K+ cushy Polygon salary to go indie is going to pay off. More than half of the people watching the Polygon charity stream was for BDG alone.

Jo-awn

Oct 25, 2017
New York, NY
Also, I have a feeling MinnMaxx will probably interview him as they've done with so many personalities who left for greener pastures in the past i.e. Abby Russel and Dan Ryckert to name a few. The exit interview will be interesting.

LawfulEnder

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Hiring BDG right around the time when the McElroys were leaving was a huge pickup for Polygon. Nobody could fill the big McElroy shaped hole but BDG gave them something entirely different and just as great.

I'm looking forward to seeing what BDG does next but I'll miss seeing him so consistently working with the rest of the Polygon video team, particularly Pat.

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Big loss for Polygon as he was the only reason I was subscribed.

Now I have my fingers crossed for a BDG Collab with Kyle Bosman and Ian Hink since BDG is their secret love child. Those 3 together could make some insane stuff.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
If you can develop a nice internet fanbase, it just makes more sense to do a Patreon. You don't need millions of people and can still make an upper middle class income.

Tim Rogers, formerly of Kotaku, is making 12k per month on Patreon alone. I know that's revenue, not salary, but a one person, low overhead biz, and that's a nice living, without worrying about media layoffs.

Not everyone can do this, but BDG has the audience to do it.

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
He'll definitely do absolutely fine on his own. I am curious how big his audience will be. His personal videos are quirky, unique, and funny, but it does feel like the common grounding factor of video games helped make his humor more palatable to the mainstream. I guess we'll see! He's good people.

ToddBonzalez

The Pyramids? That's nothing compared to RDR2
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think BDG is going to blow up even more if anything since he's a very magnetic personality. With the creative freedom to spread his wings, the dude is going to get further than what he did under Polygon. Foregoing the 100K+ cushy Polygon salary to go indie is going to pay off. More than half of the people watching the Polygon charity stream was for BDG alone.
I have a feeling Polygon isn't paying $100k to video producers.

Sybil

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Aw man, this sucks for Polygon bc BDG (and the McElroy brothers) were the only creators on there in which I honestly get the humor. Look forward to his new stuff, wish him the best

Fabtacular

Jul 11, 2019
This is like when Tim Rodgers left Kotaku.

Both of them were too niche for their publications. BDG will similarly do well with his Patreon.

Dwebble

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Unraveled is so good, but BDG outgrew Polygon years ago- the man's going to be an absolute star, and he's got the audience to make a Patreon a slam-dunk for him.

Xiofire

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
2020 just keeps rolling to the very end huh?

Loved his work at Polygon, hope he does more in the future.

BDG and Tim Rogers are the peak of video game videos.

Deleted member 11976

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Really loved his videos! Wishing him all the best in whatever zany, warm milk-fueled adventures he goes on next.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
What a shame. BDG is an absolute treasure.

It's really disheartening to see many of the "young promising talent" / interesting voices quit their respective outlets (BDG, Abby Russel, etc.) when one kinda assumed they'd be the one shaping the sites in the future.

Sande

Oct 25, 2017
Onto bigger and better things.

I always found his personal channel much better than Unraveled, and i'm sure anything he moves on to will be too.

Brazil

Actual Brazilian
Oct 24, 2017
SĂŁo Paulo, Brazil
What a shame. BDG is an absolute treasure.

It's really disheartening to see many of the "young promising talent" / interesting voices quit their respective outlets (BDG, Abby Russel, etc.) when one kinda assumed they'd be the one shaping the sites in the future.
True creatives will... create their own things, and not merely reshape someone else's.

justjim89

Nov 16, 2017
I definitely look forward to more weird absurdist horror shorts from him. The Be Your Own Boss and Jorts videos are really something.

Nessus

Oct 28, 2017
First Monster Factory, now this :/

One of the funniest things I've seen in quite some time:

Chibs

Nov 5, 2017
Belgium
Of course this happens the last week of this damn year...

Wish him all the best of course, but I'll sure miss his content.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
True creatives will... create their own things, and not merely reshape someone else's.
Perfectly understandable, and i absolutely applaud them for that. If a talent outgrows their current outlet, of course they should head off to a place where they can further their career.

Still, it makes it more and more obvious that many places that produce great content and find and elevate talent probably have an expiration date. Which is a true shame. Say what you will about Polygon's editorial stuff, but their video output is fantastic.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
This sucks for Polygon (and for me as a Polygon fan!) but sounds exciting for Brian.

Nov 16, 2017
Winnipeg
Is it just me or are a load of personalities ditching games journalism lately? With Brian gone, I can't even think of a specific outlet outside of Giant Bomb maybe that has a specific personality that draws me to their channel or site anymore...