• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Unclebenny

Oct 28, 2017
Have you started stockpiling for Brexit?

Trade experts and our own government agree that, even if we sign a trade deal with the EU, there will be chaos at the borders.

Brexit: Queues of up to 7,000 lorries and two-day border delays likely, leaked Gove letter warns

Queues of up to 7,000 lorries will snake through Kent when the completion of Brexit brings border chaos, a leaked government document warns.
Exporters face two-day delays to reach France, with 70 per cent of trucks not ready for new checks to cross the Channel – including up to half on the busiest Dover-to-Calais route and in the Eurotunnel.

We have built a modest stockpile in my house but it is only a couple of bags, just buying extra bits when we can. For me, worst case scenarios is we have a bunch of food we will eat in the future already bought.

Even though we have taken really moderate measures, I still sometimes feel like a doomsday prepper or something. Like I'm totally over reacting. However, the logic is there that we could see the shelves go bare and there is very recent precedent of that happening with only a small change in consumer habits.

I don't think we will end up with no deal, even this government is not that stupid (please feel free to throw this back in my face if it turns out they are) and all signs are that we are moving in the right direction, even if the deal will basically just be a placeholder. However, I don't see how we get out of this without some problems in our national logistics. There's only really a couple of entry points into the country and this was all considered a rolling disaster before Covid.

So, are any of you building up a pile of food?

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Unlikely. I'll be pissed if there isn't toiletroll but I can't think what else will go missing except idiots buying too much bread, flour and pasta.

Koukalaka

Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
I've been gradually filling my cupboard with long-life/non-perishable stuff over the last month or so, but I haven't done much other than that.

softfocus

Oct 30, 2017
Sorry OP, are we talking about the same government that has made every possible fuck up since the beginning of the year? The only thing you can rely on this government on, is fucking up so they will do a no deal to try and get some nice words from their friends who have even turned on them.

rabathehutch

Nov 1, 2017
Please don't stockpile. Being able to purchase excess food and other household items for use in the future is a privilege many families don't have. All it does is empty shelves so that people surviving week-on-week with very limited income have nothing to buy. If everyone who could afford to just bought "extra bits" it would hugely impact supply (as we saw in March) and leave families who are already in an incredible perilous position going without essentials.

Sir Hound

Oct 28, 2017
I moved since the vote but if I still lived there I probably wouldn't be stockpiling, no. Especially with corona and seeing the effects of stockpiling then, it isn't going to help anyone.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
If I was currently in the UK, there's absolutely no way I wouldn't have built up slowly over this year at least a month's supply of long lasting goods like pasta.

However, I don't think it's a good idea to actually rush out and buy a months long life food in one go either.

OP
OP
Unclebenny

Unclebenny

Oct 28, 2017
Please don't stockpile. Being able to purchase excess food and other household items for use in the future is a privilege many families don't have. All it does is empty shelves so that people surviving week-on-week with very limited income have nothing to buy. If everyone who could afford to just bought "extra bits" it would hugely impact supply (as we saw in March) and leave families who are already in an incredible perilous position going without essentials.

Let me make it clear- I have not bought stupid amounts of food. Over the last few months we have bought some extra bits each time we go for our weekly shop and built up that way.

Also, I don't expect this to be a similar situation to the last time we had bare shelves. That was created by extra purchases. The Brexit border issues is the inability of produce to get into the country. The end result is the same but the causes are very different.

I am in no way, right now, taking away from anyone else, the shop shelves are plentiful. If they weren't then I wouldn't be buying extra.

I am not advocating everyone running out and buying a room full of shopping. Only interested to hear how others are viewing the upcoming nonsense.

Headman Rum

Oct 28, 2017
I'm prepared - I have about 40 tins of fine san marzano tinned tomatoes that I've buying over the last 12 months or so. I also have some nice Ortiz tinned tuna and nice pasta.

No extra toilet roll though :-(

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Folks hoarded for the pandemic when they didn't need to and I'm sure they'll hoard again for the day we leave Europe even though they won't need to.

People are just greedy like that.

Guppeth

Oct 25, 2017
Sheffield, UK
There won't be a toilet roll shortage. It's manufactured within the UK and it grows on trees. Twats might panic buy some, but only because they're twats.

There will be problems with all imported products, and that's a lot of stuff.

If 2020 was a normal year and Brexit was the only shitshow in town, I'd have built a small stockpile of non-perishable goods. But with COVID, and the panic buying earlier in the year, I've tried to only buy things I need right now.

I've been doing the shopping for my parents, and the thing I'm dreading most is the fucking whining when I can't buy them any bananas.

Phantom

Writer at Jeux.ca
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Canada
Folks hoarded for the pandemic when they didn't need to and I'm sure they'll hoard again for the day we leave Europe even though they won't need to.

People are just greedy like that.
I feel like this is different. If groceries end up 50,100 or even 150% higher, there's going to be real chaos right before shit hits the fans. Think pandemic and crank it to 11. I wouldn't want to live in the UK because it's going to be nasty.

Vashetti

Oct 27, 2017
Let me make it clear- I have not bought stupid amounts of food. Over the last few months we have bought some extra bits each time we go for our weekly shop and built up that way.

Also, I don't expect this to be a similar situation to the last time we had bare shelves. That was created by extra purchases. The Brexit border issues is the inability of produce to get into the country. The end result is the same but the causes are very different.

I am in no way, right now, taking away from anyone else, the shop shelves are plentiful. If they weren't then I wouldn't be buying extra.

I am not advocating everyone running out and buying a room full of shopping. Only interested to hear how others are viewing the upcoming nonsense.
The dissonance in this post is astounding.

8bit

Oct 27, 2017
There won't be a toilet roll shortage. It's manufactured within the UK and it grows on trees. Twats might panic buy some, but only because they're twats.

There will be problems with all imported products, and that's a lot of stuff.

If 2020 was a normal year and Brexit was the only shitshow in town, I'd have built a small stockpile of non-perishable goods. But with COVID, and the panic buying earlier in the year, I've tried to only buy things I need right now.

I've been doing the shopping for my parents, and the thing I'm dreading most is the fucking whining when I can't buy them any bananas.
One of those Inside the Factory shows suggested the UK didn't have quite the right kind of trees for the process, so you might want to start figuring out how to use the three seashells.

PinkSpider

Oct 27, 2017
I won't be stockpiling, I will probably be doing a monthly shop each month instead of my daily shops though. Might be eating a bit more food from the (admittedly awesome) Middle Eastern stores too which are largely cheaper than supermarkets.

TheGummyBear

Jan 6, 2018
United Kingdom
I haven't hoarded yet, as I've been balancing my finances, but I do intend to stockpile non-perishables and extra supplies after my next payday.

I don't intend to become some kind of prepper, or be one of those assholes who stocks up on way more toilet paper than they could possibly ever need. But deal or no deal, the first few months of transition out of the single market are going to be extremely messy. It's best to be prepared for the worst, especially with the spectre of covid still hanging over us all. I'm not sure how well food supplies will manage if we have to go into lockdown/remain in lockdown during the break up.

Humidex

Oct 27, 2017
I wouldn't say stockpiling massively, but have bought a couple of extra things like olive oil just to tide over January/Feb.

Gawge

Oct 27, 2017
Even though we have taken really moderate measures, I still sometimes feel like a doomsday prepper or something. Like I'm totally over reacting. However, the logic is there that we could see the shelves go bare and there is very recent precedent of that happening with only a small change in consumer habits.

???

People stockpiling would be really bad, so... I have started stockpiling, are you?

Calabi

Oct 26, 2017
We aren't even half prepared for leaving in January, business wise or government wise they aren't prepared at all. It will be a way bigger disaster than queue's of 7000 lorries or whatever, if they do just decide to leave then(which they probably will). If millions of people can't get food then stock piling isn't really going to make much difference, we could also have problems with power and water who knows with this inept government

Oct 27, 2017
Im not stock piling but I am blowing through some savings to make bigger purchases I was going to buy in the next 6-12 months because I can't see how they will be anything less than 15-20% more expensive next year, electronics, home improvements (a lot of parts for UPVC windows come from Holland), hoping to get a kitchen paid for before December as well.

Vashetti

Oct 27, 2017
Do you care to explain that dissonance?
Let me make it clear- I have not bought stupid amounts of food. Over the last few months we have bought some extra bits each time we go for our weekly shop and built up that way. [I have not bought stupid amounts of food.][That was created by extra purchases.]

I am in no way, right now, taking away from anyone else, the shop shelves are plentiful. If they weren't then I wouldn't be buying extra.[I have not bought stupid amounts of food.][That was created by extra purchases.]

???

People stockpiling would be really bad, so... I have started stockpiling, are you?

Deleted member 44129

User requested account closure
Banned
May 29, 2018
We had a stockpile ready for last time we thought Brexit was happening. Then we ended up seeing Brexit delayed. Then we ate some of it during early lockdown. Now we're just eating through it a bit, and restocking to see us through January. I dont expect the situation to be desparate, but there's definitely going to be a month or so where the supermarkets will be crazy busy because of panickers.

OP
OP
Unclebenny

Unclebenny

Oct 28, 2017
???

I have made it quite clear that I am only building up reserves now, when there are no problems in obtaining food from supermarkets. If panic buying later in the year empties shop shelves, it is not connected to me buying extra now.

I have also detailed how these aren't directly comparable events.

The earlier bare shelves were caused by "panic buying" spread across the entire populace. Our supply chain wasn't constructed to cope with this and quickly found itself struggling. I could contribute to that by trying not to overbuy, which I did.

The problem with Brexit is that imported produce wouldn't be able to get into the country at the rate it currently does. So even if no one changes their buying habits, we could still see empty shelves. Nothing I do now is going to affect availability of food post Brexit, that is entirely a problem in the very genetic make up of Brexit.

I merely used that example to point out that we can quite quickly find our shop shelves bare, even though many people dismiss it as a possibility.

I'm sorry if I didn't make that clear.

Vashetti

Oct 27, 2017
I have made it quite clear that I am only building up reserves now, when there are no problems in obtaining food from supermarkets. If panic buying later in the year empties shop shelves, it is not connected to me buying extra now.

I have also detailed how these aren't directly comparable events.

The earlier bare shelves were caused by "panic buying" spread across the entire populace. Our supply chain wasn't constructed to cope with this and quickly found itself struggling. I could contribute to that by trying not to overbuy, which I did.

The problem with Brexit is that imported produce wouldn't be able to get into the country at the rate it currently does. So even if no one changes their buying habits, we could still see empty shelves. Nothing I do now is going to affect availability of food post Brexit, that is entirely a problem in the very genetic make up of Brexit.

I merely used that example to point out that we can quite quickly find our shop shelves bare, even though many people dismiss it as a possibility.

I'm sorry if I didn't make that clear.
You are buying more than you need, thereby denying somebody else of something they may need. You don't realise it, but you are actually panic buying. This is the mindset of every panic buyer -- "oh I'll just get a few bits extra, it won't affect things if it's just me" -- and that's where the shortages come in when everybody is doing it.

Dervius

Oct 28, 2017
UK
If literally none of us stockpiled, any nehative effect would be largely mitigated because we could continue to use only what we need and supply would be more likely to keep up.

It's the self-perpetuating nature of stockpiling / panic buying that's the issue. People panic buy, media reports it, people go out and panic buy in turn. People just need to calm the fuck down.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
If literally none of us stockpiled, any nehative effect would be largely mitigated because we could continue to use only what we need and supply would be more likely to keep up.

It's the self-perpetuating nature of stockpiling / panic buying that's the issue. People panic buy, media reports it, people go out and panic buy in turn. People just need to calm the fuck down.

Uh, not necessarily. That was true in the pandemic panic buying earlier in the year because supply lines were fine.

Supply lines very much likely going to be rather far from "fine" soon, if the UK government doesn't do another of its famous u turns and actually arrange something with the EU, where >1/4 of the UKs food supply currently comes from.

Oct 25, 2017
Hull, England
I am going to slowly buy a few essentials that will last a month or so over the next few weeks, mainly long life items like tinned food and pasta and flour and noodles and get a few large packs of toilet rolls, and stock up on some extra cleaning products.

To be honest I usually stock up before Christmas anyway the only difference being that I will get a little bit more than usual, I certainly will not go overboard I just like to stock up before Christmas to avoid repeat trips to the shops if possible.

OP
OP
Unclebenny

Unclebenny

Oct 28, 2017
You are buying more than you need, thereby denying somebody else of something they may need. You don't realise it, but you are actually panic buying. This is the mindset of every panic buyer -- "oh I'll just get a few bits extra, it won't affect things if it's just me" -- and that's where the shortages come in when everybody is doing it.

Again, I am not denying anyone of anything they need because right now, there is more than enough. All the shop shelves are full. It can't be panic buying if I'm the only one doing it. If it becomes obvious that panic buying is setting in, then I will, of course, restrict myself to our basic needs.

What I am preparing for is problems at the border, which is nothing to do with my buying habits. the whole point of this thread was that I felt like an outlier for taking these actions. I am not trying to encourage anyone else to do anything or sneer at how anyone is preparing or not for Brexit.

A lot of people assume it will just be fine (it might be but very possibly not). Of course, this is the fault of those in power, who get where they are making a bunch of crazy promises that can never be fulfilled.

Dervius

Oct 28, 2017
UK
Uh, not necessarily. That was true in the pandemic panic buying earlier in the year because supply lines were fine.

Supply lines very much likely going to be rather far from "fine" soon, if the UK government doesn't do another of its famous u turns and actually arrange something with the EU, where >1/4 of the UKs food supply currently comes from.

I understand the difference, but the fact remains that if people didn't stockpile in fear of a potential supply issue then any actual shortages would be felt far less, because it gives the existing supply more of an opportunity to get to more people.

The fear mongering makes people buy at an increased rate, beyond what they ened with an uptick in food wastage as a result. If everyone was just senible about it we'd all benefit.

Oct 27, 2020
Even if I wanted to stockpile, I don't have the room for it. I have a tiny kitchen and my flat doesn't have much storage space.

Jimbobsmells

Nov 17, 2017
its worth buying a few month worth of essentials and non perishables (in my case stuff like toothpaste, paracetamol, shampoo, and to a lesser extent dried food, tinned goods). Worst case scenario happens - you're covered while companies adjust to the new normal. If nothing comes of it, then at least you have saved some money long term because these things are only going to get more expensive post Brexit transition period.

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
I actually bought a standalone freezer for this. I've got a fairly strict / specific diet and I didn't want to be messing around with potential shortages.

MLH

Oct 26, 2017
I can't believe this is happening. A completely preventable disaster unfolding right in front of us.
People voted for this. Sold lies by profiteering brexiteer, were warned about it by expects, but have continued to hand the reigns to utter incompetent clowns.

I can't afford to stockpile. It's annoying seeing the panic buying again with this latest lockdown as when I do need to buy some basics the shelves are empty. I can't cope anymore and don't feel like this country cares anymore. I'm already pretty low and this is reaching tipping point...

OP
OP
Unclebenny

Unclebenny

Oct 28, 2017
I can't believe this is happening. A completely preventable disaster unfolding right in front of us.
People voted for this. Sold lies by profiteering brexiteer, were warned about it by expects, but have continued to hand the reigns to utter incompetent clowns.

I can't afford to stockpile. It's annoying seeing the panic buying again with this latest lockdown as when I do need to buy some basics the shelves are empty. I can't cope anymore and don't feel like this country cares anymore. I'm already pretty low and this is reaching tipping point...

Have you got empty shelves? Whereabouts are you based?

I saw some lighter shelves a month or so ago and Morissons brought item limits back in but everything has reverted to normal near me.

Symphony

Oct 27, 2017
I actually bought a standalone freezer for this. I've got a fairly strict / specific diet and I didn't want to be messing around with potential shortages.
Same, we've stockpiled essential food and also bought an extra standalone freezer. Why? Because of people in the house having multiple severe allergies and being quite limited in what they can have. The current pandemic has already made it hard as hell to get certain "free from" food (with some lines even being fully discontinued) so running the risk with the stupid circus of Brexit about to start is not a smart idea. When I say stockpiled I mean like, enough to last for 1-2 months if shelves are utterly empty nationwide, not "buy 100 packs of toilet rolls" level. None of it is perishable either, everything will get used.

MLH

Oct 26, 2017
Have you got empty shelves? Whereabouts are you based?

I saw some lighter shelves a month or so ago and Morissons brought item limits back in but everything has reverted to normal near me.

Sunday was the last time I went out. Which was the day after the Government's announcement for lockdown in England. I'm in the North West. Just anecdotal, the only shop I went into was packed and shelves looked empty (I suppose it could just be because it was Sunday and the shops didn't expect the influx of shoppers), only needed a few basics but felt pressured to get toilet roll too. It's frustrating, trying to social distance, trying to get by but still felt pressured to get a little extra due to other panic buyers.
Things might be alright. Hoping businesses might be more 'prepared' for this and the public don't feel the effects.
Just very frustrated and hopeless that this shouldn't be happening and I I'm completely at the mercy of these clowns in government that are making life hell.

Kyougar

Cute Animal Whisperer
Nov 3, 2017
I understand the difference, but the fact remains that if people didn't stockpile in fear of a potential supply issue then any actual shortages would be felt far less, because it gives the existing supply more of an opportunity to get to more people.

The fear mongering makes people buy at an increased rate, beyond what they ened with an uptick in food wastage as a result. If everyone was just senible about it we'd all benefit.

Any scenario where there is even a slight supply issue after brexit would snowball into a massive one because people would see that there are supply issues.
So people, beware of other people saying everything will be fine. they already have hoarded or want to hoard more and don't want any competition.

the first supply issues with the pandemic happened because "just-in-time" couldn't keep up with the increased demand. You now have to add 2 to xx days to "just-in-time" and that results in supply issues even if no-one hoards anything!

myojinsoga

Oct 29, 2017
I'm in the now-fortunate position that my partner's default setting is 'panic buy' ... So we're never far from a legendary stockpile of the kinds of things people get in a tizz over. As such this conversation is beneath me and I'll see myself out.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
I am still working through my march covid TP supply

OP
OP
Unclebenny

Unclebenny

Oct 28, 2017
Sunday was the last time I went out. Which was the day after the Government's announcement for lockdown in England. I'm in the North West. Just anecdotal, the only shop I went into was packed and shelves looked empty (I suppose it could just be because it was Sunday and the shops didn't expect the influx of shoppers), only needed a few basics but felt pressured to get toilet roll too. It's frustrating, trying to social distance, trying to get by but still felt pressured to get a little extra due to other panic buyers.
Things might be alright. Hoping businesses might be more 'prepared' for this and the public don't feel the effects.
Just very frustrated and hopeless that this shouldn't be happening and I I'm completely at the mercy of these clowns in government that are making life hell.

Thanks for the reply. I know exactly how you feel. Being at the mercy of such a talentless bunch of goons is particularly goading.

I'm in Yorkshire and my parents are in the north west

They've.not had.any problems but they do live in a small village. I've also had no issues, so hopefully its just a blip.

Ikuu

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I feel like this is different. If groceries end up 50,100 or even 150% higher, there's going to be real chaos right before shit hits the fans. Think pandemic and crank it to 11. I wouldn't want to live in the UK because it's going to be nasty.

What makes you think prices are going to double?