• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
Doesn't Canada have a deal with the EU exactly like that though? Or have I been brainwashed by the far right.
Canada deal still has some tariffs in some goods, and there is the thing of Canada being located one giant ocean away instead of next door. It is harder to transfer industry and companies from Europe to Canada than from Germany to England.

Dave.

Oct 27, 2017
Looks like Ken was right, Boris is still doing exactly this:

(Bonus lol IDS in the background too! 🤮 )

Unclebenny

Oct 28, 2017
I would say it would be fair if the UK hadnt said repeatedly they would just do whatever they want after signing the deal and would do whatever thing possible to not face consequences (or delay them as much as possible). So the EU needs to be able to do something without a big delay.

Yes, certainly I agree, I was making a kind of contextless comment. It is very rare these days that I think a British request for anything is sensible and fair.

I struggle to divine if the Brexiteers in charge of the country are genuinely that stupid or if this is just a way of ensuring they stay popular with their base and damn the consequences to any one else.

Both a reprehensible and equally baffling ways of living your life.

Rosur

Oct 28, 2017
Thatcher was their darling and they knifed her the second she was an electoral liability. They'll do the same to Boris when no deal has a significant effect on people's lives, but keep him in as long as he can absorb the damage.

As Humidex says, the personal PR campaign Sunak's been running all year has been effective for him, and the truth is a minority background PM is incredibly useful to them to pitch to the 'racism is over' crowd.

Yep whatever Boris does here he'll be gone after brexit or if there is a deal due to tory infighting either way.

OP
OP
Xando

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
Sterling is tanking deeper with every statement that comes out of this government

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
Canada deal still has some tariffs in some goods, and there is the thing of Canada being located one giant ocean away instead of next door. It is harder to transfer industry and companies from Europe to Canada than from Germany to England.

Canada is an ocean away and therefore not able to undercut the EU in any meaningful way. Same with Japan
Thanks, actually Ros Atkins just now did a fantastic piece specifically on this subject on the BBC News.

Ravensmash

Oct 25, 2017

Thread worth reading.

Yep, some view No Deal as an opportunity.

Edit: Let's see what they respond with:

nature boy

Oct 25, 2017
Good insight on the Guardian blog just now:

In his column in the Times (paywall) this morning James Forsyth suggests that a solution is possible to the level playing field dispute in the UK-EU trade talks. He writes:

The same problem can be seen in the biggest sticking point in the talks, the so-called ratchet clause. This is meant to address what happens if the EU tightens its regulations in one area and the UK does not follow suit. The EU wants the right to unilaterally impose tariffs in these circumstances.

There would be no obligation to show that Britain's different standards were distorting trade. The EU would simply be able to act. But Britain would not be able to hit back. The text proposed by the EU would block us from responding to measures that they thought were unfair or disproportionate with their tariffs.

It is not sustainable to have a system where Brussels can act as judge and jury and then unilaterally disarm the UK to prevent it from taking countermeasures. There is, however, a potential solution to this problem. The EU could still have the right to respond if it increased regulations and Britain didn't follow.

It would, though, not be able to do this automatically. Rather, it would have to go to arbitration and show that the different standards were having a material effect. This would deal with the EU's medium-term concern about Britain trying to undercut it while maintaining zero-tariff, zero-quota access to its market. It would also reassure the British side that it could not be subject to capricious actions by Brussels every time the EU introduced a relatively minor change.

Forsyth also suggests that the dispute over fisheries could be solved - essentially by paying off the EU fishing fleets likely to lose out most.

My colleague Daniel Boffey thinks Forsyth is referring to an option acceptable to the EU.

The fishing thing is hilarious. Imagine if we just end up subsidizing foreign fishing fleets for the foreseeable future.

If we had put even a portion of that money into our tiny fishing fleet decades ago. We might have avoided all this.
Does Forsyth have sources in Brussels?

No? Then he's full of shit.

Isn't he married to BJ's press secretary?

Edit: yes he is.

Unclebenny

Oct 28, 2017
Not just that, but many importers are pulling their trucks out with no plans on bringing them back (due to the shitshow that's about to hit us).

I actually deal with some of this in a tangential way.

There's multiple things going on with freight at the moment:

1. There is a global problem with shipping. There aren't enough containers, those big metal shipping containers that are used to transport millions of different things around the world. This is COVID related. As China opened up before everyone else and their economy boomed, along with a lot of other Asian countries global shipping has been pointed towards them. Normally containers are sent with products one way and delivered to a country before being refilled with products to be returned to another country. Makes the sailings far more efficient. However, global exporting took a nosedive since a lot of manufacturing had to shut up shop. Now China is importing a lot, it was the only really active economy for a while, and not exporting very much. Altogether this means that there are a lot of containers stranded in Asia. Shipping companies don't want to ship them back empty as there is zero value.
  2. As a side effect freight prices go up but also shipping lines don't want/aren't able to run ships to countries with less trade. The hauliers just don't have enough containers in many ports. That means delays for countries further down the pecking order. Also delays at ports as ships end up waiting for spare containers to come in.
  3. Specifically in Britain, lots of importers are stocking up on good/produce/raw material to cope with whatever Brexit brings. This makes the ports far busier than normal, including the smaller ones that often see a lot less action.
  4. This is also taking up our limited warehousing space, as loads more companies are looking to stock material. Those that can't get storage space are facing the prospect of their purchases being stranded in the port, adding to delays, as really ports aren't meant to store much, everything is supposed to keep on the move.
  5. All this combined means there are loads of delays at ports and with the movement of goods in general.
  6. As Brexit looms, some freight companies are just going to full on avoid coming here, they've already said this, it's not an educated guess. A medium sized haulage firm will end up losing money if their trucks get stuck in a queue at Calais or Dover and they probably can't avoid that. Potentially this could help ease some congestion but we just don't know until it happens.
  7. How each company copes will be entirely dependent on their circumstance. I know many are as prepared as they can be but they also don't know what they are preparing for. They are basically putting aside as much as they can, keep in mind some of them didn't have any storage space to begin with. Others just haven't done anything because they have no clear idea what they can do.
In summary, worldwide shipping is a mess because of COVID and UK shipping is a mess because of Brexit and COVID combined. Trying to cope with both at once could be a complete disaster.

There is real potential for lots of small companies to be sunk by this, if they can't get hold of the material they need. Not to mention we could be facing real delays in the provision of food. Panic buying would only increase this and I can't see how panic buying doesn't happen if we start getting bare shelves again.

anamika

May 18, 2018
*pretends to be shocked*

Actually this matches with what was discussed on the BBC. The British side feel that Barnier is the obstacle. Apparently, while Barnier was in isolation, an aide took over and basically conceded a lot of ground and the Brits were overjoyed. Then Barnier came back and over ruled all that and that's when we heard of the EU suddenly hardening their stance and all that - the Brits want to go back to the deal agreed with Barnier's aide.

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
I actually deal with some of this in a tangential way.

There's multiple things going on with freight at the moment:

1. There is a global problem with shipping. There aren't enough containers, those big metal shipping containers that are used to transport millions of different things around the world. This is COVID related. As China opened up before everyone else and their economy boomed, along with a lot of other Asian countries global shipping has been pointed towards them. Normally containers are sent with products one way and delivered to a country before being refilled with products to be returned to another country. Makes the sailings far more efficient. However, global exporting took a nosedive since a lot of manufacturing had to shut up shop. Now China is importing a lot, it was the only really active economy for a while, and not exporting very much. Altogether this means that there are a lot of containers stranded in Asia. Shipping companies don't want to ship them back empty as there is zero value.
  2. As a side effect freight prices go up but also shipping lines don't want/aren't able to run ships to countries with less trade. The hauliers just don't have enough containers in many ports. That means delays for countries further down the pecking order. Also delays at ports as ships end up waiting for spare containers to come in.
  3. Specifically in Britain, lots of importers are stocking up on good/produce/raw material to cope with whatever Brexit brings. This makes the ports far busier than normal, including the smaller ones that often see a lot less action.
  4. This is also taking up our limited warehousing space, as loads more companies are looking to stock material. Those that can't get storage space are facing the prospect of their purchases being stranded in the port, adding to delays, as really ports aren't meant to store much, everything is supposed to keep on the move.
  5. All this combined means there are loads of delays at ports and with the movement of goods in general.
  6. As Brexit looms, some freight companies are just going to full on avoid coming here, they've already said this, it's not an educated guess. A medium sized haulage firm will end up losing money if their trucks get stuck in a queue at Calais or Dover and they probably can't avoid that. Potentially this could help ease some congestion but we just don't know until it happens.
  7. How each company copes will be entirely dependent on their circumstance. I know many are as prepared as they can be but they also don't know what they are preparing for. They are basically putting aside as much as they can, keep in mind some of them didn't have any storage space to begin with. Others just haven't done anything because they have no clear idea what they can do.
In summary, worldwide shipping is a mess because of COVID and UK shipping is a mess because of Brexit and COVID combined. Trying to cope with both at once could be a complete disaster.

There is real potential for lots of small companies to be sunk by this, if they can't get hold of the material they need. Not to mention we could be facing real delays in the provision of food. Panic buying would only increase this and I can't see how panic buying doesn't happen if we start getting bare shelves again.
Good info. Cheers.

Calabi

Oct 26, 2017
He doesn't care, it's so obvious. He knows it's going to be bad, that's obvious too. I think Boris is looking forward to retiring soon.

The fact that he is running around like this in a panic shows that he want's a deal. He probably knows a no deal won't go very well for him, least of all the country.

Pixieking

Oct 25, 2017
Question: Is an accelerationist-esque outcome possible in the near future? That is, with 4 years til the next general election, is it conceivable for everything to go so comprehensively to shit that Labour or the Greens can campaign on re-entering the EU? I know the EU have said they don't want the UK to even consider rejoining in the capacity that we were before, so that would obviously mean a campaign based on a Federalist Europe and membership of the Euro with full FoM. But! I can absolutely see traditional Labour voters/working class being gutted by all of this - food price rises, car manufacturing leaving, general manufacturing plummeting - which could change perceptions in the short term.

DeltaRed

Apr 27, 2018
Boris wants it to look like he tried his best and the EU was just too stubborn. And that is exactly how the papers will report it.

anamika

May 18, 2018
Yeah and i suspect no deal will worsen their negotiating position and they will eventually agree to the deal the EU is offering after a month of chaos.

The fact that they are really trashing the offered deal now makes it that much harder for them to eventually agree. Boris basically saying that no Prime Minister would accept the offered terms - what's he going to do after a month and he is still the PM and has to accept the offer?

FliX

Master of the Reality Stone
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
Question: Is an accelerationist-esque outcome possible in the near future? That is, with 4 years til the next general election, is it conceivable for everything to go so comprehensively to shit that Labour or the Greens can campaign on re-entering the EU? I know the EU have said they don't want the UK to even consider rejoining in the capacity that we were before, so that would obviously mean a campaign based on a Federalist Europe and membership of the Euro with full FoM. But! I can absolutely see traditional Labour voters/working class being gutted by all of this - food price rises, car manufacturing leaving, general manufacturing plummeting - which could change perceptions in the short term.
Honestly I cannot see it happening within the next two decades.

MrMysterio

Oct 25, 2017
Accelerationism is what former friends of mine told me was why they voted for Brexit despite being "left".

I mean, yes, there's hope things are so bad they will get better sooner rather than later, but the whole Brexit thing ending up with a Tory majority and a no-deal is indicating that things just get worse and worse.

nature boy

Oct 25, 2017
No, your best bet is a Norway type relationship until trust is rebuilt to even think about rejoining. It's going to take decades.

OP
OP
Xando

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
The fact that they are really trashing the offered deal now makes it that much harder for them to eventually agree. Boris basically saying that no Prime Minister would accept the offered terms - what's he going to do after a month and he is still the PM and has to accept the offer?
I mean it will go as with the WA.

They all trashed that then boris got a few words exchanged and was celebrated as a hero even though it was a shitty deal for the UK

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
The fact that he is running around like this in a panic shows that he want's a deal. He probably knows a no deal won't go very well for him, least of all the country.
I think this is true to the extent that we're prepared to be generous with our definition of "wants".

Boris "wants" a deal in the same way that people "want" to win prizes in a competition. He wants to get something handed to him with minimal effort or engagement on his part - maybe some kind of irrelevantly small initial investment of time or money.

He doesn't "want" a deal the same way that people want to earn, say, a promotion or a qualification or similar. He doesn't want to have to work at it, to have to put in the effort to make it happen and overcome the challenges along the way.

So even to the extent that it's true to say that he wants a deal, it's not all that useful because he's not prepared to turn that want into real action. It might be better to say that he wishes for a deal.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
Actually this matches with what was discussed on the BBC. The British side feel that Barnier is the obstacle. Apparently, while Barnier was in isolation, an aide took over and basically conceded a lot of ground and the Brits were overjoyed. Then Barnier came back and over ruled all that and that's when we heard of the EU suddenly hardening their stance and all that - the Brits want to go back to the deal agreed with Barnier's aide.
But likely that aide was very clear he couldn't make those choices. He just wasn't shooting them down immediately.

anamika

May 18, 2018
But likely that aide was very clear he couldn't make those choices. He just wasn't shooting them down immediately.
Most definitely. Johnson and co. think that they got a deal with the aide ten days ago and then Barnier came back and said no because France and therefore they think can get a good deal without Barnier. The fact that Johnson seriously pushed for this to Von Der Leyen is hilarious.

Koukalaka

Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
Gotta get rid of the Tories first, which will be an uphill battle regardless...

I think it would need to be a combination of time, a government other than a Conservative one dealing with the EU in good faith (which I'm confident the current Labour leadership would), and probably the current generation of Tory leadership no longer being in frontline politics so there's no chance of a repeat.

So yeah, we're talking years. I'd hope Labour would aim for closer alignment gradually over time and we'd have something of a patchwork arrangement like the Swiss which leads to further talks.

Last edited:

Pixieking

Oct 25, 2017
Gotta get rid of the Tories first, which will be an uphill battle regardless...

Always is. :(

If you want to live in the EU your best chance is probably moving to ireland or move to scotland and hope they go independent.

Once Covid restrictions loosen, I can request the last of the evidence I need to apply for Irish Citizenship (just need a couple of documents from the Oxford Register). But that feels like an "I'm all right, Jack" endgame, as it's great for me and my wife, but not particularly useful for my friends/everyone else.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
Most definitely. Johnson and co. think that they got a deal with the aide ten days ago and then Barnier came back and said no because France and therefore they think can get a good deal without Barnier. The fact that Johnson seriously pushed for this to Von Der Leyen is hilarious.
Even the fact that the UK thinks France is the 'strict' one is missing a small detail: France is one of the countries to be hit the hardest in the case of Brexit. It should be one of the easy countries to convince compared to countries like Hungary and Romania that got little to lose, and that have been blamed hard by British politicians. But they are already thinking France is a hardliner...

anamika

May 18, 2018
Nissan Sunderland: 'No plan B' after no-deal Brexit

Car manufacturer Nissan said it has "no plan B" in the event of a no-deal Brexit which would make the firm's Sunderland plant unviable.
Nissan employs about 7,000 people at the factory and has spent £400m preparing to make the new model of Qashqai there in 2021. But the Japanese firm said World Trade Organisation (WTO) tariffs would render its business model unsustainable.

Europe chairman Gianluca de Ficchy told a news conference at the plant in October 2019: "If a no-deal scenario means the sudden application of WTO tariffs, we know in that case our business model won't be sustainable in the future.

"Our industry works with lower margins and if we are in a situation in which tomorrow we have to apply 10% export duties to 70% of our production, the entire business model for Nissan Europe will be in jeopardy."

In several interviews since then, global chief operating officer Ashwani Gupta has maintained that remained the case.
A Nissan source said: "We have been planning the whole time on the basis that there will be a deal. "Look at the money we are putting into the new Qashqai - we are already in trial production for it.

"There's no Plan B."

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I have a hard time a big company like Nissan doesn't have a plan to atleast continue work in the short term before other arangements are up and running.

Maybe Funky Papa can chime in.

They shut a plant in Spain barely half a year ago to cut costs. I can guess what they are planning as a result of no deall, but I don't think Sunderland will like it.

OP
OP
Xando

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
They shut a plant in Spain barely half a year ago to cut costs. I can guess what they are planning as a result of no deall, but I don't think Sunderland will like it.
Sure Sunderland is probably dead but before you can kill it you need to have adequate replacement production either in the EU or possibly out of Japan(?).

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
I have a hard time a big company like Nissan doesn't have a plan to atleast continue work in the short term before other arangements are up and running.

Maybe Funky Papa can chime in.
Nissan has been planning on leaving the EU market to their other brands for a while now (as well as globaly). As Link said, they just planned to unilaterally closing the Barcelona plant even if it costed 1B+. With the new trade deal between EU and Japan, Nissan might think t is not worth it to have a plant in UK.

Sure Sunderland is probably dead but before you can kill it you need to have adequate replacement production either in the EU or possibly out of Japan(?).
Nissan is planning to reduce a ton of production in the next years and go forward to a more divided brand approach in each region.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
They have a plan B: stop manufacturing in Europe and supply from Japan. Nissan sales are terrible in Europe.

Unclebenny

Oct 28, 2017

A lot of the British gameplan has been to divide and conquer and it has come nowhere near working.

The EU has been totally united on this. I suppose Macron has been a bit more forthright recently but there have been no attempts by EU states to do side deals or get some advantages over anyone else. That's exactly why they had Barnier in this position, that way, everyone can refer the UK to Barnier and they don't have to engage with Britain on the side.

It shows a fundamental misunderstadning of the EU. No one is sacrificing their place and standing with a block of 26 other countries, which confers numerous benefits, to get some small advantage with an independent UK. Especially a UK government who have proven so untrustworthy and incompetent.

It also highlights exactly how this Tory party thinks politics operates. Out slime those around you and come out on top.

That Boris anecdote above rings totally true. Showing up to the EU and making some lazy xenophobic stereotypes in an attempt to build beneficial relations. The EU. Rolling into the EU, insulting the French and thinking that will get the other countries on side. I suppose we live up to our reputation in Europe at least.

Ravensmash

Oct 25, 2017
Be interesting to see what happens to the public mood when the realities of Brexit start appearing - as opposed to it just being things they've heard about at a distance on TV/in the papers.

As an aside, this made me chuckle (Guardian Liveblog)

The Conservative MP Imran Ahmad Khan has criticised Angela Merkel for refusing to let Boris Johnson lobby her over the UK-EU trade talks. (See 10.57am and 12.37pm.) You can tell Ahmad Khan's a Brexiter, because he's brought up the war ...

Why do these people not realise that we're dealing with a trading bloc and not just individual leaders?

Why do they think we're still living in the shadow of WW2?

FliX

Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
Be interesting to see what happens to the public mood when the realities of Brexit start appearing - as opposed to it just being things they've heard about at a distance on TV/in the papers.
Unless fleet street turns on the Tories and Brexit they will blame everyone else before acknowledging their own part in this calamity.

Unclebenny

Oct 28, 2017

As an aside, this made me chuckle (Guardian Liveblog)

The Conservative MP Imran Ahmad Khan has criticised Angela Merkel for refusing to let Boris Johnson lobby her over the UK-EU trade talks. (See 10.57am and 12.37pm.) You can tell Ahmad Khan's a Brexiter, because he's brought up the war ...

Why do these people not realise that we're dealing with a trading bloc and not just individual leaders?

Why do they think we're still living in the shadow of WW2?

You know these are the type of people who will insist we don't need to talk about slavery because it's in the past but WW2 is still the defining moment of our generation (the one who had no lived experience of it).

FliX

Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
You know these are the type of people who will insist we don't need to talk about slavery because it's in the past but WW2 is still the defining moment of our generation (the one who had no lived experience of it).
I'll have you know that I grew up watching Dad's Army and Allo Allo. It's like I was there. /s