• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

gerg

Oct 25, 2017
The EU does not have to be reasonable. They are the bigger economy here and able to set the terms to benefit the single market. They can be as selfish as they want to be. Just like any larger, richer economy/country sets the terms for poorer countries.

In an effect, this is true, because the EU will be affected much less from Brexit than the UK. But it still has to judge whether the damage it will face due to a no-deal is less or more than the potential damage it will face from the ratchet clause that columnist is suggesting (or any other variant thereof).

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
Good insight on the Guardian blog just now:

In his column in the Times (paywall) this morning James Forsyth suggests that a solution is possible to the level playing field dispute in the UK-EU trade talks. He writes:

Forsyth also suggests that the dispute over fisheries could be solved - essentially by paying off the EU fishing fleets likely to lose out most.

My colleague Daniel Boffey thinks Forsyth is referring to an option acceptable to the EU.

The fishing thing is hilarious. Imagine if we just end up subsidizing foreign fishing fleets for the foreseeable future.

If we had put even a portion of that money into our tiny fishing fleet decades ago. We might have avoided all this.
The problem of having to negotiate with an impartial broker to get tariffs up is that it only works if you assume its gonna rarely happen. However, the UK has openly talked about separating standards as soon as possible and delay the tariffs penalty as much as possible.

So again, another problem of the UK talking to themselves about how much they will fuck the EU deal and how they are gonna lie to the EU and get a deal only to do whatever the fuck they want later on in the UK media, as if the EU doesnt follow that.
You show yourself to be an untrustworthy negotiator, you get the constraints of an untrustworthy negotiator.

UK should haver spent less time playing to their local crowd throwing shit to the EU and more time actually thinking what that would mean in their negotiation positions.

The EU does not have to be reasonable. They are the bigger economy here and able to set the terms to benefit the single market. They can be as selfish as they want to be. Just like any larger, richer economy/country sets the terms for poorer countries.
In an effect, this is true, because the EU will be affected much less from Brexit than the UK. But it still has to judge whether the damage it will face due to a no-deal is less or more than the potential damage it will face from the ratchet clause that columnist is suggesting (or any other variant thereof).
The problem is not about EU being selfish right now, the problem is that EU has lost any possible trust on the UK not going back on any possible deal as soon as humanly possible, so they want to be able to hit back as soon as the UK steps out, not have to wait 3-4 years for a punch back.

Unclebenny

Oct 28, 2017
Isn't the problem that the UK is trying to turn it into an argument of equals 1v1, but it's really 27v1, so the arbitration and UK insistence that the ECJ cannot be involved just doesn't work.

I think it is probably fair for us to ask that the EU can't just implement tariffs on us whenever it wants. The reason this isn't as simple as the Canada deal is we are closer and more intertwined nations. That works both ways.

I have no idea who controls that arbitration, if it's the European courts that would enrage the Daily Mail reader types. Of course, that shouldn't matter but Brexit is built on the outrage of people with no insight into how Europe or any international co-operation works.

gerg

Oct 25, 2017
The problem is not about EU being selfish right now, the problem is that EU has lost any possible trust on the UK not going back on any possible deal as soon as humanly possible, so they want to be able to hit back as soon as the UK steps out, not have to wait 3-4 years for a punch back.

Sorry, I didn't mean to invoke a concept of "selfishness" in my post.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
I think it is probably fair for us to ask that the EU can't just implement tariffs on us whenever it wants. The reason this isn't as simple as the Canada deal is we are closer and more intertwined nations. That works both ways.

I have no idea who controls that arbitration, if it's the European courts that would enrage the Daily Mail reader types. Of course, that shouldn't matter but Brexit is built on the outrage of people with no insight into how Europe or any international co-operation works.
I would say it would be fair if the UK hadnt said repeatedly they would just do whatever they want after signing the deal and would do whatever thing possible to not face consequences (or delay them as much as possible). So the EU needs to be able to do something without a big delay.

Sorry, I didn't mean to invoke a concept of "selfishness" in my post.
No problem, I just wanted to point out that EU is so harsh on the ratchet because UK has shown utter contempt on negotiating in good faith, which doesnt leave a ton of room in the kind of negotiations that require both parties to be negotiating in good faith.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
I don't doubt he is calling Merkel now to say Van der Leyen is blocking a deal.

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
Did they work out an alternative to Euratom for radioactive stuff? That was always discussed as a big concern when no deal was first announced as a possibility (given the short half-life of many materials).

Ravensmash

Oct 25, 2017
PM has just said this (via Guardian Liveblog):

"We are always hopeful, and as you know the negotiations are continuing and we've got our teams still out there in Brussels.
And if there is a big offer, a big change in what they are saying, then I must say that I've yet to see it.

Unfortunately at the moment, as you know, there are two key things where we just can't seem to make progress and that's this kind of ratchet clause they've got in to keep the UK locked in to whatever they want to do in terms of legislation, which obviously doesn't work.
And then there is the whole issue of fish where we've got to be able to take back control of our waters. So there is a way to go - we're hopeful that progress can be made.

But I've got to tell that from where I stand now, here in Blyth, it is looking very, very likely that we will have to go for a solution that I think would be wonderful for the UK, and we'd be able to do exactly what we want from January 1 - it obviously would be different from what we'd set out to achieve but I have no doubt this country can get ready and, as I say, come out on World Trade terms."

I've also discovered that seeing him play dress up every day makes me irrationally angry.

DeltaRed

Apr 27, 2018
it is looking very, very likely that we will have to go for a solution that I think would be wonderful for the UK, and we'd be able to do exactly what we want from January 1
Which is why we've spent 4 years negotiating and planning for that not to happen

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
So, no deal then as planned without actual planning for the people who aren't rich.

Infuriating how all the common sense arguments about soft Brexit being pointless, hard Brexit being a disaster were true and still true 4 years on. Fuck Brexit. We knew pretty much bloody everything ages ago and yet give me cake. Blood boiling.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

/Titanic music

raw

eonden

Oct 25, 2017

UK has to learn that now that they are outside of the EU you dont negotiate with other countries, you negotiate with the block. It was already sad when May was trying to get some nations inside the EU to break protocol and support her in negotiating a deal. Now its just sadder because no country will even give them the time of the day after all the major fuckups the Brits have done in the last 3 years, completely destroying most of their soft power inside the EU.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
He doesn't care, it's so obvious. He knows it's going to be bad, that's obvious too. I think Boris is looking forward to retiring soon.

RedSonja

Oct 29, 2017
Do we really think it's going to be no deal? I know this sounds stupid, but could it be a game of chicken, or who will swerve first?

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
Do we really think it's going to be no deal? I know this sounds stupid, but could it be a game of chicken, or who will swerve first?
EU already looks like it gave up on a deal and they have put some clear lines in the sand they will not cross. It is all in UK to concede which they havent made any move towards in this week.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

I don't see anyone but the UK blinking if they somehow don't want no deal. EU has more to lose if they cave and less impact, possibly temporary if they don't, UK might come back to the table after experiencing the shit show for months.

I'll say this, the fact the EU are setting their lines clearly again and the UK is saying this stuff a few days before Sunday makes me think the UK is either desperate or rolling out the narrative for the public to swallow no deal.

DeltaRed

Apr 27, 2018
Even in a No Deal it can't be a forever thing. You're not going to be without a trade deal with your biggest next door neighbour from now on, something will eventually bring them back to the table.

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
I do now. I didn't couple of days ago, but it's clear from the slightly frightened looking ministers on various TV shows since then that they've been told it's likely too.

OP
OP
Xando

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
Even in a No Deal it can't be a forever thing. You're not going to be without a trade deal with your biggest next door neighbour from now on, something will eventually bring them back to the table.
Yeah and i suspect no deal will worsen their negotiating position and they will eventually agree to the deal the EU is offering after a month of chaos.

RedSonja

Oct 29, 2017
Thank you for your thoughts. It's just so fucked up, I have trouble believing it's actually going to happen in the new year. Just wow.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm sure Boris' conduct over the last year will be tactically leaked and deployed, Tories get their scapegoat for the chaos and they'll send the next totally moderate British values mug in to 'Get an even better deal' that's all concessions, when it starts hitting their diners pockets. But disaster capitalists they are they'll probably revel in it and just use a new PM as political clickbait.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm sure Boris' conduct over the last year will be tactically leaked and deployed, Tories get their scapegoat for the chaos and they'll send the next totally moderate British values mug in to 'Get an even better deal' that's all concessions, when it starts hitting their diners pockets. But disaster capitalists they are they'll probably revel in it and just use a new PM as political clickbait.
Their scapegoat is COVID.

Ravensmash

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I'm pretty much convinced this is it now.

He also strikes me as the kind of politician who'd do a runner than face the consequences, so hopefully he at least pisses off.

ss1

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder how long Toyota, Nissan, and others will stay in the UK in the event of a no deal. I give it maximum a year or so before they will start announcing their departure.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It's kinda daft how any trade deal we do in the future will just be the same, accept the rules, standards, regulations between nations or we don't have a deal just on an individual smaller scale. Also, since the EU is so prominent in the world, those standards etc. will be pretty much what the EU accepts. It's so ludicrous. I'm convinced Boris etc. thought they could get cake but if not, they get richer anyway, regardless of the consequences so no big deal to them.

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
Yeah, I'm pretty much convinced this is it now.

He also strikes me as the kind of politician who'd do a runner than face the consequences, so hopefully he at least pisses off.

yeah, 6-months to a year the conservative establishment and media will do everything to say Brexit is a success and all problems are virus related etc. Boris does his victory lap, sails away and someone else comes in to try and clear the mess up when it can no longer be ignored.

I wonder how long Toyota, Nissan, and others will stay in the UK in the event of a no deal. I give it maximum a year or so before they will start announcing their departure.

Whatever fits in with their roadmap and production capabilities.

Oct 25, 2017
Sunak's waiting in the wings. No less despicable compared to Johnson but presents himself better.
They won't (publicly) pin it on Johnson, because they voted for Johnson.

Thatcher was their darling and they knifed her the second she was an electoral liability. They'll do the same to Boris when no deal has a significant effect on people's lives, but keep him in as long as he can absorb the damage.

As Humidex says, the personal PR campaign Sunak's been running all year has been effective for him, and the truth is a minority background PM is incredibly useful to them to pitch to the 'racism is over' crowd.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The fear I've got is the line, we have to make hard choices and difficult decisions which is how they destroy the NHS further, reduce rights etc. Shit hits the fan is a green light to mould the UK into what they want and people will be more accepting because things will be bad and possibly desperate. They are waiting for this moment.

Oct 31, 2017
The fear I've got is the line, we have to make hard choices and difficult decisions which is how they destroy the NHS further, reduce rights etc. Shit hits the fan is a green light to mould the UK into what they want and people will be more accepting because things will be bad and possibly desperate. They are waiting for this moment.

It's a revolutionary far right movement. They believe they can smash the state and rebuild it in any way they want. It's the shock doctrine on a national level.

FliX

Master of the Reality Stone
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
England prevails.