• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
This will be another "We voted Yes on the deal but didn't actually read it" situation where Tories come out in a few months going "Oh we had no idea about X and Y in this deal!" just like the WA.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Michael Gove said once upon a time, just agree to whatever, we will change it later so yeah.

Geeker

May 11, 2019
Gove is such a slimy politician. The very worst political caricature manifested in living flesh

OP
OP
Xando

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
This will be another "We voted Yes on the deal but didn't actually read it" situation where Tories come out in a few months going "Oh we had no idea about X and Y in this deal!" just like the WA.
The WA was 50 pages and they didn't read it. This is easily gonna be 1000 pages so i doubt anyone of them will read it within the remaining 3 weeks

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
The WA was 50 pages and they didn't read it. This is easily gonna be 1000 pages so i doubt anyone of them will read it within the remaining 3 weeks
Definitely not. They'll read the bits that they know will piss off their voters most though, then vote for it anyway and pretend they didn't read those bits..

MrMysterio

Oct 25, 2017
Really didn't think they'd go for a last-minute deal. Was 100% certain they are crashing deliberately. Biden's election might have made a last-minute deal more likely, I guess.
Really hoping people can push through the grueling austerity to come in the UK. Jesus.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
Really didn't think they'd go for a last-minute deal. Was 100% certain they are crashing deliberately. Biden's election might have made a last-minute deal more likely, I guess.
Really hoping people can push through the grueling austerity to come in the UK. Jesus.

Grateful right now for Biden pushing on Ireland. God only knows if Trump won

Koukalaka

Oct 28, 2017
Scotland

I was always about 50/50 on there being a deal - I certainly thought that if there was a deal it would be at the last minute like this. I'm not saying this process is definitely going ahead, mind you - it might still collapse...

Ushojax

Oct 30, 2017
They will make a deal and Boris will yield on everything. His downbeat statements are just meant to provide cover for his inevitable last minute cave-in and allows the papers to make him look like a masterful negotiator who triumphed over the bullying EU (by giving them everything they wanted but no need to mention that). He's pulled this stunt before and it's the only move he knows.

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
Really didn't think they'd go for a last-minute deal. Was 100% certain they are crashing deliberately.
It might still fail.

They have been going for a deal though - if they wanted a deliberate no-deal they could just have dropped out of the talks and waited. The general response to that point for the past while has been "they want to blame the EU" but they could have started the blame process at any point and the bulk of the UK media would have been fully behind them. They might not have expected to be signing a deal and they might not even have been fully sure they wanted a deal, but there was some kind of will there to at least make an effort to get a deal (probably based on the knowledge that a deal was necessary at some stage in the future anyway).

Grateful right now for Biden pushing on Ireland. God only knows if Trump won
If Trump had won the US House would have blocked a UK-US trade deal if the GFA was breached by the UK, so I guess the main differentiating factor would be how long it would take Johnson and his idiot cabinet to realise that. If they're realised it quickly enough, that might have pushed them to make a deal with the EU just as much as Biden's win did in real life. I would not have been surprised, though, if they'd spent years negotiating a trade deal with the US only to be shocked when it was shot down in the House in 2023 or something.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I don't know how he BS his way through accepting a level playing field and other EU rules and oversight or from the other side, how they would accept divergence etc. with free trade. That's why I'm still 50/50 on a deal happening.

I suppose it could all end up as some holding pattern deal where the UK could theoretically do things differently than the EU in 5-10 years but never does but then leads to why these cretins wanted Brexit to happen anyway so they may still torpedo the deal to get no deal.

Unclebenny

Oct 28, 2017
I don't know how he BS his way through accepting a level playing field and other EU rules and oversight or from the other side, how they would accept divergence etc. with free trade. That's why I'm still 50/50 on a deal happening.

I suppose it could all end up as some holding pattern deal where the UK could theoretically do things differently than the EU in 5-10 years but never does but then leads to why these cretins wanted Brexit to happen anyway so they may still torpedo the deal to get no deal.

Got to keep in mind that Brexit means nothing and everything at the same time.

Although there was never any actual single workable exit policy attached to Brexit, most of those campaigning for it implied that we would leave with a deal, some suggesting that it would be a better deal than the one we had as part of the EU.

No deal was always, if we have to we will do but we won't have to because everyone loves us so much. Yet the slide to it being a viable option has been forced by the small faction of Tory MPs, all the other Tory MPs having no spine and the wider party membership.

Ravensmash

Oct 25, 2017
Well that burst of positivity didn't last very long, even by the usual standards of the Brexit news cycle.

lol

:(

Veliladon

Oct 27, 2017
How frustrating it must be for the professional EU negotiators to have to try and negotiate with these chucklefucks every day.

OP
OP
Xando

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
Car industry, farmers and financials might be fucked but atleast there will be enough fish

slider

Nov 10, 2020
I wanna know more about the business case for Hambach.

No prizes for working it out yourselves. I want them to say it.

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
They might as well just start pushing the people of Bridgend / Port Talbot into the sea. They're going to be utterly fucked by Brexit.

slider

Nov 10, 2020
Supply chain, just on time delivery and such I imagine.

It's all the stuff that was predicted. Not that anyone responsible is reading this but I want the people who made empty promises and misdirected to acknowledge things like this. Fat chance, I know.

I think I need to be a bit clearer when I post. :-(

Edit: Thanks kharma45, jelly and Xando though!

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017

I wonder what input he thinks NI would have had in that same set of laws if they'd been made in Westminster. There was a brief moment in time where the DUP could just about imagine that they held the balance of power in parliament, but that's gone now and it's probably not happening again any time soon. NI would be subject to laws made without NI input regardless of Brexit. (Of course, the difference is that Wilson is actually fine with NI being subject to laws made without NI input as long as those laws are made in Westminster by a right-wing UK government).

"Not a mini embassy"

Its just a permanent place where the EU officials can work and fix stuff in a permanent basis
I think they've missed an opportunity here. The UK side, to save face, should be pushing this as an embassy. An embassy is a normal thing for one sovereign entity to place inside the territory of another, for administrative and diplomatic purposes, not to interfere in day-to-day government-run operations there. If this space in NI had been labelled an embassy, that should give an impression of something totally normal within the area of inter-state relationships. Especially so if it's a mini-embassy. That sounds even friendlier and less threatening. Mini-embassy, probably they only have like a receptionist and a coffee machine and a few leaflets and they close early on Fridays.

Really this space is not going to be an embassy. It will house EU officials who will be monitoring and inspecting the trade border between GB and NI, and reporting their findings back to Brussels for the EU to decide whether it needs to intervene. That's absolutely not a normal part of inter-state relationships. By saying that this isn't an embassy, the UK make that more obvious.

Veliladon

Oct 27, 2017
Really this space is not going to be an embassy. It will house EU officials who will be monitoring and inspecting the trade border between GB and NI, and reporting their findings back to Brussels for the EU to decide whether it needs to intervene. That's absolutely not a normal part of inter-state relationships. By saying that this isn't an embassy, the UK make that more obvious.

It's not normal because the EU can't trust the UK to police what's going between NI and GB under the withdrawal agreement. I half expect the Tories to shrug their shoulders and let Irish Sea smuggling go rampant just to fuck with the EU.