• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Phife Dawg

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if that might make the European Parliament more inclined to want to have the deal agreed and applied provisionally. If they can vote on it next year they will have some time to see how the UK applies the Northern Ireland protocol of the withdrawal agreement as well as the provisions of the trade agreement. That'd give the European Parliament some measure of post-hoc leverage that it otherwise wouldn't have.
Interesting thought, you are right, could very well be. Gave parliament leverage in the Canada deal but also puts lots of political pressure on them. But seeing no progress right now maybe we will get a sudden no deal after all.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
So Boris heading over to Brussels, cyclical me thinks Boris wants the I went and got the deal strong look or I went and told them no deal to their face, rule Britannia. Basically he wants the headlines and history book note.

SilentPanda

Nov 6, 2017
Earth
EU, UK leaders say conditions to seal Brexit trade deal 'not there'

EU chief Ursula von der Leyen and British Prime Minister Boris Johnson said in a joint statement on Monday that sealing a new trade deal was impossible now "due to remaining differences on critical issues".

www.reuters.com

EU, UK leaders say conditions to seal Brexit trade deal 'not there'

EU chief Ursula von der Leyen and British Prime Minister Boris Johnson said in a joint statement on Monday that sealing a new trade deal was impossible now "due to remaining differences on critical issues".

plagiarize

Eating crackers
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining

Dwebble

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I still think Johnson's angling for a deal, actually- he's flying out to Brussels himself over the next day or two to have face-to-face negotiations with von der Leyen over the summaries, which is the exact thing he'd do if he were looking to capitulate and proclaim himself a great negotiator for sealing the deal. If he didn't want one, he could stay home and let the clock run down.

It's certainly not a done deal (I'd give maybe a 30% chance of a deal being struck now), but I can see the playbook.

Veliladon

Oct 27, 2017
Boris going in with the classic "give us everything we want or we send the British army back into NI" negotiating tactic I guess.

plagiarize

Eating crackers
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
I still think Johnson's angling for a deal, actually- he's flying out to Brussels himself over the next day or two to have face-to-face negotiations with von der Leyen over the summaries, which is the exact thing he'd do if he were looking to capitulate and proclaim himself a great negotiator for sealing the deal. If he didn't want one, he could stay home and let the clock run down.

It's certainly not a done deal (I'd give maybe a 30% chance of a deal being struck now), but I can see the playbook.
He doesn't want the blame, if you ask me. So he's not going to hide and let the clock run down.

Dwebble

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
He doesn't want the blame, if you ask me. So he's not going to hide and let the clock run down.
He was absolutely never going to get the blame- it would have been the fault of the traitorous foreigns no matter what Johnson did over the next few days.

It very much seems to me that he's re-running the playbook he used for the withdrawal agreement last year. We'll see if it works.

nampad

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The EU commission still has not learned that they are just wasting their time on this?
They should deal with more pressing things that might actually turn put to something.

1.21Gigawatts

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Munich
The extent of UK-incompetence has to be deliberate. They're(Johnson and his enablers) going to crash and sell out the UK for parts.

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
The EU commission still has not learned that they are just wasting their time on this?
They should deal with more pressing things that might actually turn put to something.
Eventually the UK will want a deal. Since every day after December 31st without a deal will cause damage to both the EU and the UK, the sooner that deal can be put in place, the better. The more progress that can be made here, the further that eventual deal will be towards completion whenever the UK gets around to crying out for it, and the sooner it can be put in place.

That'll be continue to be the logic of the EU for the remainder of 2020.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Isn't this kinda worthless since the Lords won't allow it.

I honestly flip between what Boris actually wants or cares about. I think he probably does want a deal, albeit cakey as possible but doesn't care if he can't get one. The worrying thing is the sheer delusion of the many MPs or is it just a bluff for the time being to see if the EU move, I don't know. A deal seems so unlikely because both positions are so incompatible. Brexit is stupid.

Jokerman

May 16, 2020
Huh, well shit. So they basically said to the world we don't respect international law, wanna do a trade deal, pinky promise!

They've promised to remove a clause that allows them to ignore previous agreements if an agreement is struck. You literally cannot make this stuff up now.

SilentPanda

Nov 6, 2017
Earth
Brexit: Boris Johnson warns securing deal is 'looking very, very difficult'

Boris Johnson has warned that securing a deal at an imminent Brexit summit in Brussels will be "very difficult" but backed "the power of sweet reason to get this thing over the line".

The prime minister, who agreed during a phone call on Monday to meet the European commission president, Ursula von der Leyen, in the Belgian capital, said he wanted an agreement.

Asked if he would try to do a deal right up until the wire, Johnson told reporters: "Yeah, of course. We're always hopeful but you know there may come a moment when we have to acknowledge that it's time to draw stumps and that's just the way it is."

The prime minister insisted he would be willing to leave the transition period without a deal. He said: "We will prosper mightily under any version and if we have to go for an Australian solution then that's fine too." Australia and the EU do not have a free trade deal and there are tariffs on goods, including 48% on lamb and 84% on beef.

In a joint statement on Monday, the two leaders agreed in the coming days they would hold a make-or-break meeting. Sources on both sides pointed to Wednesday or Thursday morning as the most likely times.

Beaune repeated France's threat to veto the deal if it failed to protect French fishermen's rights to operate in British seas and offered the UK the opportunity to undercut EU standards.

www.theguardian.com

Brexit: Boris Johnson warns securing deal is 'looking very, very difficult'

PM says he wants an agreement but people need to be ready for changes on 1 January

FliX

Master of the Reality Stone
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
Let's just make this the official OT4.0 for now.
I added links to the previous OT's to the OP.

Open to better title suggestions

SilentPanda

Nov 6, 2017
Earth
EU says it is willing to continue talks with UK into 2021 in event of no deal
The EU is willing to carry on further talks with the UK in 2021 even if there is no deal before the end of the post-Brexit transition on 31 December, the European commission said this morning.
Daniel Ferrie, a commission spokesman, said the mandate given to officials by the 27 member states and the European parliament would permit further talks. He said:
If that deal is not in place on January 1, then we have a no-deal situation. That does not exclude that negotiations can continue – from our side – and it does not exclude that we can continue on the basis of the mandate that is given to us.
www.theguardian.com

Brexit: Johnson says trade deal looking 'very difficult'; EU willing to continue talks into 2021 in event of no deal – live

Latest updates: prime minister says there are issues where ‘we’re a long way apart still’ from agreement
[

Ravensmash

Oct 25, 2017
EU says it is willing to continue talks with UK into 2021 in event of no deal

www.theguardian.com

Brexit: Johnson says trade deal looking 'very difficult'; EU willing to continue talks into 2021 in event of no deal – live

Latest updates: prime minister says there are issues where ‘we’re a long way apart still’ from agreement
[

PM's spokesman has rebuffed that:
"We have been clear that the future relationship needs to be concluded by the end of the year, and negotiation won't continue into next year. That has been our position throughout."
Which just sounds like silly bluster because if there is no deal/no future relationship concluded, then it's still going to need to be talked about and agreed at some point in the future.

Unless they envisage a future where we literally do not deal with Europe whatsoever.

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
Which just sounds like silly bluster because if there is no deal/no future relationship concluded, then it's still going to need to be talked about and agreed at some point in the future.

Unless they envisage a future where we literally do not deal with Europe whatsoever.
They really are a bunch of fucking clowns. It's all show, always.

WhovianGamer

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I can understand why the French are holding firm, but the rate they are going they'll lose all access as there won't be a deal.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
I can understand why the French are holding firm, but the rate they are going they'll lose all access as there won't be a deal.
I can understand why the Brits are holding firm, but the rate they are going they'll lose all access as there won't be a deal.

Macron is probably playing bad cop again. He won't nuke the whole thing though, if there is genuine interest on the UK side for a realistic deal.
Fishing was never THE problem (it was a small problem, but nothing too big), it is more the level playing field and that UK nuked any trust EU would have on them by passing a law that basically makes a previous agreement they made void whenever UK wants. That means that EU would want to add extra conditions to ensure EU can punish UK asap when they try and break / diverge, while UK wants to be able to fuck off and not have any punishment for years.

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
Macron is probably playing bad cop again. He won't nuke the whole thing though, if there is genuine interest on the UK side for a realistic deal.
France would be far better off from stealing UK financial services contracts in the event of no deal (loss of passporting for the UK) than they'd ever be from the fisheries aspect in a deal. Hell, they could pay all the fishermen to stay home for 10 years and they'd still be far, far better off.

DarthMasta

Feb 17, 2018

It was easy to see from the very beginning that once Brexit was decided that local politics would apply to any deal, it's not just UK politics that matter, it's politics everywhere in the UE, and maybe it makes sense for Macron to go for a hard Brexit that he can blame on those dastardly British instead of a meh trade deal that can be blamed on him.

It is what it is.

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
I can understand why the Brits are holding firm, but the rate they are going they'll lose all access as there won't be a deal.

Fishing was never THE problem (it was a small problem, but nothing too big), it is more the level playing field and that UK nuked any trust EU would have on them by passing a law that basically makes a previous agreement they made void whenever UK wants. That means that EU would want to add extra conditions to ensure EU can punish UK asap when they try and break / diverge, while UK wants to be able to fuck off and not have any punishment for years.

I don't think we want to get into a workers war with the French over access, the trucks will be backed up to Glasgow.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think we want to get into a workers war with the French over access, the trucks will be backed up to Glasgow.
Dont worry, as a spaniard, we are used to having trucks with our vegetables and fruit thrown out every summer by pissed of french farmers. It becomes a yearly tradition.

Humidex

Oct 27, 2017
Gammons don't eat fresh fruit or veg.

No wonder they don't give a shit about a no-deal.

RedSonja

Oct 29, 2017
PM's spokesman has rebuffed that:

Yep, and it will probably yield an even shitter deal. It's like playing poker, losing you house, your husband/wife divorcing you and then going through rehab only to find you now have hep B and all your friends have disowned you. When committing suicide, you slit your wrists vertically and not horizontally - the one thing that I have learnt from all of this.

OP
OP
Xando

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
The retreat begins. They wouldn't do that if they were going for no deal.

Boris going to brussels tomorrow to get something on fish and fall over on the rest.

Will get hailed by UK media and before ERG noticed they got played he has signed the deal.

Ravensmash

Oct 25, 2017
The retreat begins. They wouldn't do that if they were going for no deal.

Boris going to brussels tomorrow to get something on fish and fall over on the rest.

Will get hailed by UK media and before ERG noticed they got played he has signed the deal.

I was thinking that we're overdue another round of Tory infighting!

Can't wait!

DeltaRed

Apr 27, 2018
Boris is going to stand outside Downing Street when we reach a deal waving a fish and a Union Jack around and the rags will praise him as a hero.

Koukalaka

Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
I was thinking that we're overdue another round of Tory infighting!

Can't wait!

If it goes ahead, it'd be like last time where Boris and elements of the Tory press scream "MISSION ACCOMPLISHED" while the ERG and Farage limply bang on about how it's "not a real Brexit" while nobody cares.

It'll be almost exactly like the "oven-ready deal" from last year.

Oct 27, 2017
AFAIK the deal doesn't have to pass parliament in the UK, right?

It does, and I think pretty much everyone involved wishes it didn't have to!

It'll almost certainly pass, but Johnson could do without the headache from the hardline no-deal types within his party, and Labour could live without the no-win decision of supporting it or abstaining (or even less likely, outright voting against it).

I'm not so sure the right-wing press will be so quick to champion a deal either. Maybe for a day, but I think they're going to turn on Johnson almost immediately for 'selling out the country'.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It does, and I think pretty much everyone involved wishes it didn't have to!

It'll almost certainly pass, but Johnson could do without the headache from the hardline no-deal types within his party, and Labour could live without the no-win decision of supporting it or abstaining (or even less likely, outright voting against it).

I'm not so sure the right-wing press will be so quick to champion a deal either. Maybe for a day, but I think they're going to turn on Johnson almost immediately for 'selling out the country'.
Labour will absolutely abstain, despite preferring any deal. Kind of a "you bought it you, you own it" situation.