• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Jokerman

May 16, 2020
How big a wallet ya carrying to fit a passport in there?

Ha it takes up the space intended for notes, which I always seem to be short of because of this clusterfuck of a country. It is actually a travel wallet and I just haven't taken it out since my last trip.

Thanks for the feedback guys. It of course makes perfect sense not to have a passport, given how freely you can move between countries out there in the EU. Quite similar to the USA in that regard, and I believe they also have a comparatively small number of people with passports.

Achire

Oct 27, 2017
I always carry my passport with me just in case someone from the home office goes "papers, please" on me.

TheDoctor

Oct 27, 2017
Passport was not needed for EU citizen to come to the UK, the regular ID card was sufficient. It made quick and short-planned travel easy. Now with passport, it will make "spontaneous" tourism much less attractive, and thus, UK tourism less attractive.
This will have a negative effect on the travel and hospitality industry.

It's not just a day trip to Canterbury or Christmas shopping in London that will become less attractive, school trips to Britain are pretty much done:

But when you consider that many Europeans only have ID cards, with which they can freely travel around Europe, the requirement to have a passport to enter the UK will have a potentially significant and stultifying effect on EU-UK cultural exchanges. This is particularly true of school children who come to the UK in large groups from Europe for annual trips, often (until now, at least) using ID cards.
For non-EU nationals — an Afghan girl, say, living in Germany or France — who would normally need a visa to go to the UK the EU also created a "List of Travellers" scheme to enable non-EU children to travel with their group without a visa. That's been stopped by the Home Office too.

In practice, and particularly because schools in Germany and France have a policy of "all go or none go" for school trips, this is likely to mean far fewer school trips. If you're a school in Europe and you have kids that don't have passports, perhaps from disadvantaged backgrounds, or non-EU kids who need visas, it's a lot easier post-Brexit to go to Florence, Vienna, Madrid or Berlin than London, Canterbury, Oxford or Stratford-up-Avon.

School trips to Britain put at risk by EU passport rule change | Financial Times

Cultural exchange programmes in jeopardy as the Home Office phases out ID cards

Irminsul

Oct 25, 2017
This will have a negative effect on the travel and hospitality industry.

It's not just a day trip to Canterbury or Christmas shopping in London that will become less attractive, school trips to Britain are pretty much done:
Yeah, I took a school trip to Cornwall and it was really nice. As every German needs to have an ID card anyway, there weren't any problems with that. Good luck requiring every pupil to have a passport for this.

gerg

Oct 25, 2017
IIRC the UK is quite unusual within Europe for not requiring any form of compulsory ID, right?

I have both a passport and a driving license. I never carry my passport unless I'm going on holiday, and only ever regularly carry my driving license to pick up parcels (if ID is needed).

Irminsul

Oct 25, 2017
IIRC the UK is quite unusual within Europe for not requiring any form of compulsory ID, right?
Austria also doesn't have compulsory ID cards, but they still exist if you want one (and in contrast to Germany, for example, driving licenses are generally accepted as ID). I think the UK is really unusual for not having that at least as an option.

OP
OP
Xando

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
I have a passport due to work travel but i reckon this is gonna be a major turnoff for some of my friends which often travel for an extended weekend.

London (especially pre christmas) is pretty popular in my circles. I wonder if that is gonna change.

Jokerman

May 16, 2020
I'm glad it's not just me that saw that. Holy shit. lol
It might be because I don't ever carry my wallet in my pocket. It always sits in my bag, which I realise kind of defeats the point of having one, but hey, I'm obtuse.

It is one of these Bellroy's for anyone else wondering. It is pretty much exactly the same dimensions as a passport, so not huge.

bellroy.com

Travel Wallet: Leather RFID Passport Holder, Cover & Sleeve | Bellroy

The Travel Wallet enables you to keep all of your important documents in one place with two note sections, a tailored passport pouch, card slots and even a pen.

myth

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jul 15, 2021
Huh, I've always assumed compulsory ID cards were a standard throughout the whole EU, guess not

Blackpuppy

Oct 28, 2017
Oh man, I hadn't ever thought of school trips. That's really going to be messy. I used to organize/participate in school trips to the UK with a school I used to work at in France, and I can tell you that there is a whole industry around these visits.

For example, there is a whole network of 'host families' who are paid to keep students. They usually have a spare bedroom with bunkbeds and are responsible for feeding them breakfast and dinner and a packed lunch. They've just lost a big source of their income with Brexit. Ouch.

gerg

Oct 25, 2017
Huh, I've always assumed compulsory ID cards were a standard throughout the whole EU, guess not

As always, there's a variety of different rules, but it would appear that about half require national identity cards, and then a good deal more require some form of ID (and then places like France and Italy have different laws about being required to be able to prove your identity): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_identity_cards_in_the_European_Economic_Area

I'm quite surprised to see that Portugal requires ID cards for all citizens aged six or over!

Koukalaka

Oct 28, 2017
Scotland

New Labour pushed for a national ID card scheme back in the 00's, but it faced huge opposition both internally and with opposition parties and was scrapped. IMO it might have helped with catching cases where people were in a precarious legal state (see the folks deported as part of the Windrush scandal) and given them a defined status - but that's pure speculation on my part.

Ironically the Tories are now arguing for voter ID by pointing at countries with compulsory ID... which they massively opposed as a breach of individual liberty years ago.

karnage10

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
As always, there's a variety of different rules, but it would appear that about half require national identity cards, and then a good deal more require some form of ID (and then places like France and Italy have different laws about being required to be able to prove your identity): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_identity_cards_in_the_European_Economic_Area

I'm quite surprised to see that Portugal requires ID cards for all citizens aged six or over!
Do note that in Portugal babies get their ID card made in hospital when they are born. So theoretically every Portuguese should have an ID card.

The idea behind this is to allow services to be more efecient. By creating an ID card you get a tax number, SS number and health care number. This means that whenever you need to work, social support or Healthcare you have all the requirements to get them

Kanhir

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Ireland doesnt have ID requirements either.
We have passport cards though, which essentially results in the same effect in that it's an ID card which is the only thing I bring around with me.

I do have a passport book, but I've only ever used it to get through automated passport gates when the queue for the counter is too long. It's never once been required except when travelling outside the EU, UK or Schengen.

AceStrimmer

Feb 12, 2021
Reminds me of the status me and most of my family are in.

I only have a passport since my ex was of German blood but my folks have neither that nor a driving licence.

How are we meant to get ID for stuff like the covid passport lol

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
Ireland doesnt have ID requirements either.
Same here in Austria, though only for citizens. You don't need to carry ID, and you don't need to get an ID card or passport. Realistically, I assume everyone does have a passport, as people like to travel, but there's no legal requirement to get one. For ID checks, you can also use things like a driver's license.
EU citizens need some form of id. Though I don't think it's checked at border crossing, due to Schengen.

plagiarize

It's not a loop. It's a spiral.
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
I got to use my UK passport at the automated gates for the first time last month and it was pleasantly painless. I usually queue up with my wife for a person since she has a US passport, but the automated gates were taking those too, which I think was new since our last trip in early 2018. It'll be interesting to see if things are different in December when I'm next in the country given the EU changes.

empyrean2k

Oct 27, 2017
Hope he goes bankrupt (but the chain is saved by someone who isn't a complete tit and everyone kept employed )

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
When you are bottom of the barrel, you can't go any lower so suck it Tim.

Doubt he will go out of business but I imagine there is some business rates etc. that will bite hard in some places if the punters start dwindling but unlikely. He will just have to make less money and have less pubs.

Deleted member 9305

Oct 26, 2017
German driving licences issued before 1999 include entitlement to drive a small to medium-sized truck of up to 7.5 tonnes

The government has asked thousands of Germans residing in the UK to drive lorries to assist with the HGV shortage, even if they have never driven one before.

One 41-year-old German man, who received two copies of the letter at his London home on Friday morning, one addressed to him and another for his wife, told The Independent.

"We were quite surprised", he said. "I'm sure pay and conditions for HGV drivers have improved, but ultimately I have decided to carry on in my role at an investment bank. My wife has never driven anything larger than a Volvo, so she is also intending to decline the exciting opportunity."

The bold part, cracked me up XD

www.independent.co.uk

Government asks German residents to drive lorries even if they never have before

Exclusive: German driving licences issued before 1999 include entitlement to drive a small to medium-sized truck of up to 7.5 tonnes

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
Too bad Farage divorced, his German ex-wife could have taken one for the team and gone lorry driving.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
Tories - this time in person of David Frost - have threathened to activate Article 16 again.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Tories - this time in person of David Frost - have threatened to activate Article 16 again.

It doesn't really matter until he does which he probably won't because the EU will be open to not having a disaster but doesn't actually have to do anything other than not being the bad guy and I guess Boris is desperate for the EU to lose it and throw the book at the UK. The Tories are kicking the can further and further because they can't solve it and know it's a mess if they do it so it's a never ending cirus of UK "Fuck you, cake" EU "No, how can we help".

I genuinely think the next UK election will be about Brexit again and Tories will still promise unicorns and simple slogans if we stead fast against the EU while Labour turn into pretzels trying to say what unicorn they would do without cosying up to the EU again but fall right into the media, tory trap of talking about the single market, freedom movement because that's the only logical outcome to solving it. Going to be a mess, however if somehow people have changed their tune enough about Brexit by then and think they've been had by Leave then pigs will be flying.

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
The EU are going to present their proposals for NI in about a weeks time so it's either empty posturing or they will do it as a distraction and row it back claiming a victory if the EU offers something.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The EU are going to present their proposals for NI in about a weeks time so it's either empty posturing or they will do it as a distraction and row it back claiming a victory if the EU offers something.

God, that's honestly so pathetically sad if true but sounds so plausible. What a shit game.

Warszawa

Sep 30, 2018
This interviews a good listen, aside from Bridgen's disgusting breathing sounds.
Budgen keeps repeating a high wage economy as though the labour market and jobs can be fixed by supply side economics of scale. If theres more jobs than people everybody will be employed! Its dogshit since we dont value certain service sector jobs like refuse collection and nursing, nobody will work those jobs in the numbers we need especially in some glib individualist society when Unions are nigh worthless and we keep legislating to destroy labours bargaining rights.

A high wage economy is dog whistle for 'corporatist serfdom' a smaller group of ultra rich people and property owners served by people on the edge of poverty stuck in service industry jobs.

Like a William Gibson novel Technopunk hell-hole.

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
I'm sure we'll all be happy to pay the costs involved in this workers utopia. Now, I just need to look up the meaning of the word "inflation"...

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
I'm sure we'll all be happy to pay the costs involved in this workers utopia. Now, I just need to look up the meaning of the word "inflation"...

On of the few things that could be a positive outcome of Brexit is going to be a major fuck up because again they haven't planned for it, because that's accepting Brexit might create problems. There's too many vacancies in too many sectors of the economy to just react day to day like they have the last few weeks.

Dis

Oct 27, 2017

The replies treating it as if each member state sent one person as tribue like it's hunger games are cracking me up.......it's honestly astounding seeing the weird belief of British exceptionalism being so strong that they thought this would fix the issues they caused and then seeing that stupid misguided idea that we are somehow better than the EU hit the brick wall that is reality for so many of the idiots.

One shit show to the next has been the tories methods for decades now but this new shit show they jumped into may take the cake. It'll be hard to beat brexit fuckery in the future but I'm sure they'll give it a good old British try. Fucking morons.

Unclebenny

Oct 28, 2017
On of the few things that could be a positive outcome of Brexit is going to be a major fuck up because again they haven't planned for it, because that's accepting Brexit might create problems. There's too many vacancies in too many sectors of the economy to just react day to day like they have the last few weeks.

There's numerous reports that the Tories are quite happy for the take up to be low because it plays into their "immigration isn't the solution" narrative.

That's part of the reason they offered such stupid visa conditions, they knew it would result in limited take up.

Honestly, any read on the situation results in a terrible view on the current government. Either:

1. They are genuinely incompetent and have just landed themselves in a totally predicted situation they have done no prep for.
  2. They are quite happy for the everyday lives of huge swathes of the population to be disrupted to maintain their polling numbers.
  3. Any combo of the above.