• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London

It's ok. We don't need any courgettes.

you have laugh at the typical make do and mend replies(even well meaning ones) why don't you do this, why don't you do that.
It's fucking back breaking work and there aren't herds of brits on hand with an insatiable craving for courgettes of all things.

RedSparrows

Prophet of Regret
Feb 22, 2019
Fantastic.

If only the rest of his days could be filled with people slapping him in the face with such hard truth. And the same for Johnson, Gove, Mogg, the lot of the fuckers.

I can't lie, I'd pay good money to watch the whole lot of them get eviscerated like this.

Even better if they had the right to reply and every word could be dissected for the utter mendacious toss that they would be.

Calabi

Oct 26, 2017
I can't lie, I'd pay good money to watch the whole lot of them get eviscerated like this.

Even better if they had the right to reply and every word could be dissected for the utter mendacious toss that they would be.

They don't care, though, you can see he's probably smirking to himself, he knows she's right, he's got his exit plan, he'll get well payed after fucking up the country.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

It's ok. We don't need any courgettes.

Ah, but when I was a kid, we picked fruit etc. people are just lazy.

Yeah, back braking work nowhere near were you live, average to poor wages and less if you commute or pay for accommodation. Why would they......but back in the day!

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
They don't care, though, you can see he's probably smirking to himself, he knows she's right, he's got his exit plan, he'll get well payed after fucking up the country.

Yeah, you can see it in his face. Doesn't care and nothing will make his life worse, paid and lordship in due time.

ronpontelle

Oct 27, 2017
I've been back in the UK for a few weeks, and I know covid is making things funky, but lack of stock in the supermarkets is noticeable.

It wasn't like this in France, and I spoke to my wife back in France and she said shit's normal there.

I really want some lamb steaks, I've been to two Sainsbury's, one Waitrose and one co-op and they're all out. Sliced Gherkins were the same! And just generally not many on the shelves, even when there is stock...

Wanted some plain t-shirts from H&M - hardly any in large, was the same in Next too.

ss1

Oct 27, 2017
I noticed this today:

Still, would it be enough to attract overseas truck drivers back to the UK?

Calabi

Oct 26, 2017
How is it going to help though? 😕 The problem isn't a short term problem its a long term problem.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Via the Guardian

The government expects to pay a Brexit divorce bill of £37.3bn, a total that falls short of the EU's recent estimate.

In a statement to parliament today, the chief secretary to the Treasury, Steve Barclay, said the Brexit financial settlement was estimated at £37.3bn, within the government's previous forecast range of £35-39bn.

The European commission, however, expects the final bill to be almost £41bn, based on an estimate of €47.5bn published in its annual accounts last week.

Officials insist there is no dispute, as the UK withdrawal agreement agreed in October 2019 by both sides specifies a method for calculating the bill, rather than an amount.

Hey look at that money down the toilet and rejoining things we shouldn't have left.

The government's estimate was contained in an annual Treasury report on EU finances, which stated that £12bn has been spent across government departments since 2016 in preparing for Brexit, including no-deal planning and upgrading borders.

It also confirmed that the UK intends to opt back into EU programmes on research (Horizon), earth observation satellites (Copernicus), energy (Euratom research & training and Fusion for Energy). The UK will make a "proportionate contribution" to these programmes the government said, without revealing how much.

ss1

Oct 27, 2017

More issues with crops rotting in the fields. Assuming if the government doesn't relent then the long run is most UK farmers stopping production of fruit and vegetables.

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
Why not just pay better.
I've read stories of them trying it, but it still not working (it's really, really shit work)... but also, the short answer is that eventually the business isn't going to be competitive, and will fail.

People like to talk a good game about paying more for British / quality etc, but the reality is often different.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I think the problem with getting people to work in these places, it's a shit job, enough people don't live locally and even if they travelled, it eats into their average wage by staying in accommodation or travel expenses and some people have other responsibilities, they can't go pick fruit and veg far from home all the time, it's just not a viable job for most people. You could argue some teens or young adults could do it for a bit over the holidays but they either have another job or other responsibilities or don't fancy living in a caravan while earning an average income that could be had more locally. It's not that people are inherently lazy though there is some lazy fucks but it just doesn't fit most people were they live.

Guppeth

Oct 25, 2017
Sheffield, UK
Alright how about this. Whole classes are being kept home because one kid has a positive covid test. Fruit picking is outdoor work with lots of space for social distancing. Children don't expect or deserve proper pay, and they have loads of energy and supple spines.

Covid cases are going through the roof and it's going to disrupt a lot of schools. We can use this to our advantage!

It could be a long-term solution after the pandemic. Instead of sending covid bubbles to work the fields, send classes from schools in deprived areas. Those kids have no chance in life anyway and £3/hour would probably really cheer them up.

Why not get old people and children to pick the vegetables.
I don't agree with using old people though. My 71 year old uncle fought for this country in WWI and II and is in no way responsible for this worker shortage except for that one time he voted for it.

Last edited:

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Is that 12 billion just brexit preparations since 2016? God damn boggles the mind. Don't even want to think what the real cost is if you factor in opportunity cost as well

Don't have the fact on the link but I'm sure people have said we've basically lost more money than we put in the whole 40+ years we were in it already. I would guess after Covid settles and recovery starts we should see were the UK settles compared to pre Brexit and what the consequences are.

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
Ah, today is the day where the "take back control lot" tell other countries why they shouldn't have the same rights and they should just trust us man. Hopefully the US and EU stay united against this nonsense.

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
Last edited:

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
I wasn't expecting anyone to be asked, don't children just do as they are told?
I guess now that the UK is free from the chains of EU and its pesky insistence on so-called "human rights", the UK can embrace its industrial past again and reintroduce child labour.
Gotta admit, didn't think people were so fond of Victorian England that they'd want to go back to its labour laws too.

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
I guess now that the UK is free from the chains of EU and its pesky insistence on so-called "human rights", the UK can embrace its industrial past again and reintroduce child labour.
Gotta admit, didn't think people were so fond of Victorian England that they'd want to go back to its labour laws too.

lol, kinda funny that just after i wrote that, Boris is on about getting 6M EU people in the UK to pick Cornish daffodils(perhaps they don't want to)

British people love a period drama.

Exactly, i don't think anyone asked kids if they wanted to go up chimneys or down mineshafts and it didn't do them any harm.

Last edited:

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It's kinda funny even if the EU agreed to rewrite it, the UK would be like mmmmm cake all over again etc. It's so absurd.

Boris and co are signing shit deals left and right and crying about stuff like this but they won't be lumped with it long term when the chickens come home to roost. Playing for headlines and votes in the short term, nothing more.

Last edited:

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
It's kinda funny even if the EU agreed to rewrite it, the UK would be like mmmmm cake all over again etc. It's so absurd.

Boris an co are signing shit deals left and write and crying about stuff like this but they won't be lumped with it long term when the chickens come home to roost. Playing for headlines and votes in the short term, nothing more.

Aye, it's Brexit unicorn border time again.
Get Brexit undone to face the exact same conundrum all over again.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
He wants to get to the heart of the issue, so kicking Northern Ireland out of the UK.

Unclebenny

Oct 28, 2017
It's pretty obvious that the UK signed the NI protocol to hit their own ridiculous "Get Brexit Done" deadline and win the election. Now they want to actually do the negotiation they should have done 2 years ago.

At some point, the EU has to say "no". Using potential violence in NI as a cudgel is pretty low, even for Brexiteers. Still, the EU can't keep on kowtowing to the UK demands, they're going to draw a line in the sand and I expect this will be it.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I know this is what year is it, but are they really just clueless, know it's unworkable but just can't admit it or won't apply the rules because of the reason of having to follow EU standard rules without having a say or blow up the economy yet they want to be free to do what they want but won't go for it because it blows up the economy and are just doing what, definition of insanity, expecting a different outcome or they want the EU to fuck us right off so the UK can be totally free but blame it on the EU instead of saying fuck off themselves and going mad max and the blame squarely on the UK for that. I feel this goes beyond the NIP because we haven't had the full whammy of trade changes yet.

I honestly don't get it. What's the end game and plan.