• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Goskarrr

Oct 27, 2017
It is still potentially anybody's game in the event of a second referendum, honestly. Can't ignore the encouraging trends that Remain support is growing, or at the very least that the question needs to be asked again, but the country is still pretty split. My personal worry is that the People's Vote crew think a re-run of 2016 will solve everything, or that gambling everything by putting No Deal on the ballot will scare people enough to vote Remain or at least abstain.

The media remains awful, the divides are still wide open, and there's a feeling like politics didn't even exist for some people until 2016. The Brexiters are just simply a slicker operation too. They fold under scrutiny, but they're very good at selling a simple and easy message. In another referendum it would be very worrying if the Remain side run a weak campaign.

There's no "stop Brexit" button. No single action will fix any of this, if it can even be fixed in the first place. A deal has to be agreed upon before a second referendum/confirmatory vote can happen IMO, because it's back to fucking square one if Leave were to win again with literally no plan.
Thanks for the answer
That sounds unsustainable and damaging, guess I was being too hopeful. What are the chances for a new general election? I assume a hard(er) brexit if the Tories stay in power?

Deleted member 34788

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 29, 2017
I don't expect a coalition between libs and lab, but I do think they'll hammer out a arrangement very similar to what the cons and DUP have.

Labour will likely eke out just enough seats to become the biggest party and I expect an enormous lib dem surge.

Brexit is the sticking point for a coalition, and even if lab goes full bore remain, the lib Dems will cite policy for problems to do with a coalition going ahead.

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
I don't expect a coalition between libs and lab, but I do think they'll hammer out a arrangement very similar to what the cons and DUP have.

Labour will likely eke out just enough seats to become the biggest party and I expect an enormous lib dem surge.

Brexit is the sticking point for a coalition, and even if lab goes full bore remain, the lib Dems will cite policy for problems to do with a coalition going ahead.

Corbyn is i imagine a real problem for a lot of Libdem's, probably harder to stomach than the persona that Cameron put on.
Unlike the DUP money thing, i think they would be happy with a few of their policies and an EU deal of some sort but keeping a healthy distance.

Garfield

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 31, 2018
Rory Stewart on radio 5...

I like his honesty. But alas he is fucked as is being too honest, basically saying no chance of any other deal...

And guess what he just got pinned down for.....lying on air....she just said how can you be PM when you lied so easily, no one can believe what you say...

He is apologising over and over

Also now saying how he has been told he can not win the election unless he promises 'no deal' all the data and polling and internal polling confirms that..

He accepts bookies have him as a non winner, but he is polling top with the public , so he could win an election... however he accepts he can not get by MPs. He currently only has 5 mps backing him....he is doing a Teresa May and saying he needs the public to put pressure on MPs for him to get through

Last edited:

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Boris says if they don't deliver Brexit by October it's the end of the Tory party. Priorities.

I wonder if Farage told Trump to rollback on the NHS talk, coincidence that they met last night.

Oct 27, 2017
Boris says if they don't deliver Brexit by October it's the end of the Tory party. Priorities.

I wonder if Farage told Trump to rollback on the NHS talk, coincidence that they met last night.

Don't fall into the trap of thinking Farage has even the slightest bit of say over anything Trump says or does, he was photographed going into meet Trump exactly to give you that impression. He's nothing to Trump just like the rest of us.

Wonder if Boris really has the balls to throw up a border in Ireland (ultimately the biggest hurdle to someone implementing no deal)...would be the hardest sell for anyone north of Kent.

Number45

Oct 25, 2017
Wonder if Boris really has the balls to throw up a border in Ireland (ultimately the biggest hurdle to someone implementing no deal)...would be the hardest sell for anyone north of Kent.
As soon as he's in the flight path (i.e. directly being targeted as a result of trying to do this) I see him caving instantly. He seems like he'll say whatever he feels will garner some kind of support, but up to this point he's never actually had to deal directly with the repercussions.

OP
OP
Uzzy

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK

I like his honesty. But alas he is fucked as is being too honest, basically saying no chance of any other deal...

And guess what he just got pinned down for.....lying on air....she just said how can you be PM when you lied so easily, no one can believe what you say...

Also now saying how he has been told he can not win the election unless he promises 'no deal' all the data and polling and internal polling confirms that..

He accepts bookies have him as a non winner, but he is polling top with the public , so he could win an election... however he accepts he can not get by MPs. He currently only has 5 mps backing him....he is doing a Teresa May and saying he needs the public to put pressure on MPs for him to get through

'How can you be PM when you lie so easily?'

I mean it's a worthy question, but Boris will be PM and Trump is President and no one seems too bothered about their constant lies.

Tango Scene

Banned
Dec 31, 2017
Got to say not a lot of black people like Femi, it mainly seems to be white people that follow him and think his shit is good.
Irrelevant of what someone says (and I've never heard of Femi until the last few pages) there is no place in society for gutter comments like the above.

It will be so funny if the LibDems win on remaining and prevent a Labour government and then vote for leaving the EU with the Tories. Maybe this time the message will stick with voters. Or maybe we just need the 1 trillionth new party in the center.
Imagine if Labour win, we'll end up illegally invading another country resulting in god knows how many deaths and go onto cause another great financial crisis. Rolls eyes…

The reality is that if you're against Brexit, Labour aren't a viable home at this present moment, if anything being associated with Labour makes you an enabler of Brexit.

Rodelero

Oct 27, 2017

What did he lie about?

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
Chuka-Bloke, checking out!

All aboard the clown car!

OrDR3b8.png

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
The mistake is admitting you lied, just change the subject and the media will move on.
Do a full Boris.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
As soon as he's in the flight path (i.e. directly being targeted as a result of trying to do this) I see him caving instantly. He seems like he'll say whatever he feels will garner some kind of support, but up to this point he's never actually had to deal directly with the repercussions.

I think Boris will do whatever, spend stupid amounts of money, he gets rich, his mates too, calls a GE, may lose, walks away a richer twat who played people for fools, consultants, government contracts to push his Brexit nonsense will cost a fortune, there will be investigations, Labour may get into power, attempt a clean up and make a complete hash of it, Tories come back, people have forgot already, more shit. Boris is spending public money, paying private conpanies, he will walk away once he has pushed it over the line expecting his cut much like the rest of scum pushing Brexit.

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
'How can you be PM when you lie so easily?'

I mean it's a worthy question, but Boris will be PM and Trump is President and no one seems too bothered about their constant lies.
The fact that Boris isn't hounded at every opportunity because of the sheer amount of lies etc that he has told shows how inept this country and our media are.

Rodelero

Oct 27, 2017
The fact that Boris isn't hounded at every opportunity because of the sheer amount of lies etc that he has told shows how inept this country and our media are.

The BBC in particular seem to really struggle with telling people what they don't want to hear. Hearing a politician getting roasted for something they made up and admit to making up is something everyone enjoys. However, calling out Boris' lies requires telling people that things they believed and still believe are untrue, and that enrages a good chunk of the audience.

Calabi

Oct 26, 2017

Its such irony, if they do it they are way deader than if they don't. They will destroy the country and their party. They cant see beyond the immediate, like with everything these days it seems, no one can see beyond the immediate week. It would be genius if there wasn't so much collateral.

I don't see any way out of it now though. I fully expect a no deal, the future prime minister will push for a no deal and their will be a no confidence vote, which will fail as the conservatives will rally around their leader out of fear of an election and that will be the end of the United Kingdom.

OP
OP
Uzzy

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK

Apparently Trump met with not just Farage last night, but also IDS and Owen Patterson, big proponents of the 'alternative arrangements' bullshit to solve the Irish Border Issue. Clearly the 'good minds' he was thinking of here.

Deleted member 835

User requested account deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Irrelevant of what someone says (and I've never heard of Femi until the last few pages) there is no place in society for gutter comments like the above.

Imagine if Labour win, we'll end up illegally invading another country resulting in god knows how many deaths and go onto cause another great financial crisis. Rolls eyes…

The reality is that if you're against Brexit, Labour aren't a viable home at this present moment, if anything being associated with Labour makes you an enabler of Brexit.
Gutter comment? Aha. Come back on your main account when trying to troll.

repeater

Oct 27, 2017

Is it in the power of the speaker alone to prevent this outcome? Suppose (what is currently a counterfactual, right?) there was a majority in the house for proroguing Parliament -- would there be anything the speaker could plausibly do to stop that? (Though I guess the scenario is moot because the only realistic way there would be a majority for proroguing parliament would be if there was a majority for a No-deal Brexit, in which case there would be no need to prorogue parliament to ensure No Deal.)

OP
OP
Uzzy

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK
Proroguing Parliament is done by the Queen, on the advice of the Privy Council, which is made up of senior politicians, including the PM and the Speaker. While lots of politicians are members, meetings usually only include a few Government Ministers, and they're the ones who decide on things. Also, when I say 'advice of the Privy Council', I mean that the executive decides on something and has the Queen do it.

It usually isn't an issue and is just a formality as you close down Parliament to start a new session of Parliament, but closing it down to avoid Parliament having a say on an issue would be a serious crisis and put the executive on a collision course with the legislature, dragging the Queen into the middle of it. It's a real endgame scenario for the British Constitution.

Last edited:

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London

I have been enjoying the hubris of Boris about simply pissing off a couple of weeks after he takes over, i didn't think about the civil service being all over the place as well. Also that article mentions the pre chrimbo strain on warehouses and transportation etc, what happened to all the fridges and warehouses the government booked for march?

repeater

Oct 27, 2017
It usually isn't an issue and is just a formality as you close down Parliament to start a new session of Parliament, but closing it down to avoid Parliament having a say on an issue would be a serious crisis and put the executive on a collision course with the legislature, dragging the Queen into the middle of it. It's a real endgame scenario for the British Constitution.
Thanks for the explanation. Yeah, it seems like an awfully anti-democratic way to try to respect the will of the demos. :p

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
No 10 says May will only resign when she is confident her successor can command confidence of Commons

She's having some fun before she goes.

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
Strongest and stablest I've ever seen her, that's for sure!

There's so much potential for chaos that i want to see.
So Boris wins the tory leadership, is she going to lock herself inside while Boris asks if it's ok to be PM?
I don't remember a PM hanging on while the other one proves they can control parliament first.

Deleted member 862

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So she's going to just hang around until September to avoid the embarrassment of the next PM losing an immediate no confidence vote and then they have to sort Brexit out in a month?

Oct 25, 2017
No 10 says May will only resign when she is confident her successor can command confidence of Commons

She's having some fun before she goes.

There has been some dumb saving the Tory party from splitting shit pulled, but this has to be the dumbest.

This just ensures instead of Tory MPs resigning the whip if they hated Boris that much, May would call for an election before it came to that. Saving their arses from responsibility once again...

Oct 27, 2017
No idea why theres any point in delaying the confidence vote, we already know there's zero movement in parliament for Brexit and Brexit is the only policy area anyone cares about.

If the new Tory leader doesn't have a unicorn solution that fools every Tory MP when they are voting then they should just call a general election the second the vote is concluded. Then they'd at least look like they know what they're trying to do. Delaying it till September will just make them look as useless as May.

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
No idea why theres any point in delaying the confidence vote, we already know there's zero movement in parliament for Brexit and Brexit is the only policy area anyone cares about.

If the new Tory leader doesn't have a unicorn solution that fools every Tory MP when they are voting then they should just call a general election the second the vote is concluded. Then they'd at least look like they know what they're trying to do. Delaying it till September will just make them look as useless as May.

That's why i find it funny, May is managing to stay in Downing St but is getting nothing done, what's the point of hanging around for more of the same madness with a new leader. it has to be the weakest version of having the confidence of the house in modern history. I definitely do not want a Christmas general election, so the tories just need to get on with it now and quickly.

Deleted member 34788

Banned
Nov 29, 2017
There has been some dumb saving the Tory party from splitting shit pulled, but this has to be the dumbest.

This just ensures instead of Tory MPs resigning the whip if they hated Boris that much, May would call for an election before it came to that. Saving their arses from responsibility once again...

Tory party is split in all but name now. The ERG antics have slid the party firmly in that direction, Mays constant pathetic pandering to the right of her party has made the split inevitable.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Lol

They are talking about sending MPs on holiday early to avoid the confidence vote and May situation.

https://www.theguardian.com/politic...-leader-could-avoid-immediate-confidence-vote

I don't know which stupid outcome i want more, May here until September which then gives Boris only a couple of weeks to destroy the country or brexit, or immediate vote of confidence carnage.

prorogue parliament, go on holiday where there is lots of sand to stick your head in. Will of the people!

Deleted member 14649

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Isn't it a brexity area, i don't think so unless the Libdem's take it, then he's gonna face a mutiny.

I live close by. It is a two-horse race between Labour and Brexit. I have to admit, TBP have played a bit of a blinder by splitting the vote between Labour and the Lib Dems by promoting them as their main rivals in all their social media posts. It is going to work for them. It should be a safe Labour seat but they are going to lose.

Status
Not open for further replies.