• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Koukalaka

Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
Labour in the 2000s can absolutely go die in a fire though.

Absolutely, but similar to Labour, I don't think the Liberal Democrats should suffer eternal damnation for their prior leadership's shitty choices.

And I say this as someone that hasn't voted LD since 2010 and likely never will again (in Scotland at least).

*Splinter

Oct 25, 2017
Absolutely, but similar to Labour, I don't think the Liberal Democrats should suffer eternal damnation for their prior leadership's shitty choices.

And I say this as someone that hasn't voted LD since 2010 and likely never will again (in Scotland at least).
Their current leader was a minister in that coalition government, while Labour is being run by an entirely different wing of the party. It's not the same thing at all.

JonnyDBrit

God and Anime
Oct 25, 2017

Much vetted, very pro-EU. Christ TINGE are the fucking worst.

Where the hell has he even gotten that statistic? The closest thing I find to a mention is from 2014 and has the number at 52% - worse, that's merely convictions (a pool of a few hundred), where the overwhelming majority of theft reported to the British Transport Police (in the thousands) goes without a suspect.

But oh, those eastern europeans are so scary, you could totally believe it!

SMD

Oct 28, 2017

I can't say I've seen anything from them over the last few years to remotely suggest they've changed. Remember when they said they wouldn't form a coalition with Labour but refused to rule out the same with Theresa May?

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Seems to me like CUK are just doing what the Brexit/UKIP party are doing, trying to line their pockets and getting easy gigs with one issue that people are furious about.

Lib Dems are easily summed up with Nick Clegg, something sweeter comes along, Lib what? They just coast along, rubbing shoulders with nice middle class upper class bubbles, things are okay in this fairytale land, yeah totally for these good things because it doesn't matter much in their areas, true colours always show. Push comes to shove if anything of consequence was ever on the cards, people would vote Tory but because life is okay in certain places, they'll be a bit liberal and nice because either way it won't reach them so vote Lib Dems sometimes because the rest are shit, my bins, social disorder, pot holes.

FSP

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
London, United Kingdom
I can't say I've seen anything from them over the last few years to remotely suggest they've changed. Remember when they said they wouldn't form a coalition with Labour but refused to rule out the same with Theresa May?

LD policy is no coalition government with either May/the Tories (due to Brexit) or Corbyn/Labour (due to Corbyn/the general chaos of his leadership).

New leader later this year too, plus some good gains in the local elections and hopefully more MEPs.

Overall a good time to be an LD. Only thing that sucks is possible near-misses at the Euro elections due to Change being a spoiler vote...

SMD

Oct 28, 2017
LD policy is no coalition government with either May/the Tories (due to Brexit) or Corbyn/Labour (due to Corbyn/the general chaos of his leadership).

New leader later this year too, plus some good gains in the local elections and hopefully more MEPs.

Overall a good time to be an LD. Only thing that sucks is possible near-misses at the Euro elections due to Change being a spoiler vote...

bahahahahahaha

Corky

Alt account
Banned
Dec 5, 2018

I admire your optimism/delusions

Tango Scene

Banned
Dec 31, 2017
User Banned (permanent): Rationalizing xenophobic rhetoric; account still in junior phase
Where the hell has he even gotten that statistic? The closest thing I find to a mention is from 2014 and has the number at 52% - worse, that's merely convictions (a pool of a few hundred), where the overwhelming majority of theft reported to the British Transport Police (in the thousands) goes without a suspect.

But oh, those eastern europeans are so scary, you could totally believe it!
We certainly need to be careful when looking at crimes and ethnicity, but if your source is correct; 52% of convictions from one ethnic group relative to the population is surely something that can't be casually dismissed? How does that help anyone or combat the rise of extremism?

Spaghetti

Dec 2, 2017

Wonder if the independent vetting cost the ChUKas as much as their logo did. I mean they probably had both done on Fiverr anyway.

JonnyDBrit

God and Anime
Oct 25, 2017
We certainly need to be careful when looking at crimes and ethnicity, but if your source is correct; 52% of convictions from one ethnic group relative to the population is surely something that can't be casually dismissed? How does that help anyone or combat the rise of extremism?

Because A) The 'source' in question is the Daily Mail, so pinch of salt anyway and B) As I lay out, that's a conclusion with a whole bunch of caveats to it that makes it questionable as to what extent it accurately reflects the overall issue of theft on the London Underground. If anything, you could interpret it this way: That Romanians are the least likely people to successfully evade the police.

The more fundamental point is a candidate for the upcoming elections is wilfully exaggerating and distorting data and its potential implications in order to use stir up potential support through fearmongering. Which I mean, business as usual, but still. Then again, as someone of Polish descent, I'm in something of a biased position on this shit to begin with.

Tygre

Oct 25, 2017
Chesire, UK
For a party founded due to their deeply held and sincere opposition to antisemitism, CUK sure are fielding a lot of bigots as MEP candidates:

Flammable D

Oct 30, 2017
For a party founded due to their deeply held and sincere opposition to antisemitism, CUK sure are fielding a lot of bigots as MEP candidates:

i was going to post PretendsToBeShocked.gif, but even I'm actually shocked they've managed to so thoroughly fuck this, and I've been dunking on them in this thread since before Day 0

Spaghetti

Dec 2, 2017
On the plus side, the ChUKas have united the political spectrum over the opinion they're crap and filled with chancers.

FSP

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
London, United Kingdom
I admire your optimism/delusions

It's straight up the truth, IDK what to tell you. Excellent local politics election map for the LDs this year and a leadership election which guarantees at least some coverage is coming over the summer.

Compare that to Change who get exactly one shot to be relevant and will predictably fail miserably given their lack of a stable platform.

OP
OP
Uzzy

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK
So there's talk about May bringing the withdrawal agreement bill to the Commons soon in hopes of getting that passed before the European Parliamentary elections. Which is madness in many ways!

OP
OP
Uzzy

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK
At least the Remain parties are focusing on the important matters, pulling each other down. Nothing more important to do. No one else to worry about beating.

a53.jpg

The shitshow cometh.

Blent

Oct 26, 2017
East Midlands, England, UK
But then, thinking about it, even if the Remain parties and their supporters weren't at each others' throats and attacking each other, Farage and the BP would still be surging.

It just is really frustrating for those who are supposed to be representing the sensible side of this Brexit shambles determined to detract with petty bullshit

Tango Scene

Banned
Dec 31, 2017
Because A) The 'source' in question is the Daily Mail, so pinch of salt anyway and B) As I lay out, that's a conclusion with a whole bunch of caveats to it that makes it questionable as to what extent it accurately reflects the overall issue of theft on the London Underground. If anything, you could interpret it this way: That Romanians are the least likely people to successfully evade the police.

The more fundamental point is a candidate for the upcoming elections is wilfully exaggerating and distorting data and its potential implications in order to use stir up potential support through fearmongering. Which I mean, business as usual, but still. Then again, as someone of Polish descent, I'm in something of a biased position on this shit to begin with.
That you read about this in the Daily Mail is irrelevant, the key point is what source were the Daily Mail using, and is there a success rate for evading of the police based on ethnicity?

I wasn't born in this country, but if there is statistical evidence that people from my community were disproportionately doing something good or bad, I'd want to know about it. I find it highly disconcerting the premise that ignoring issues is somehow going to placate extremist elements. If anything it provides more fuel and increases the toxicity and disillusionment.

Deleted member 18857

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What is the point of voting for parties whose entire program is Brexit / not Brexit for the European Elections ? The fate of Brexit is not going to be decided at the European parliament. If anything, all it does is again using the EU as a courtroom to play internal politics on the grand stage, while ignoring everything about the actual role and mission of the European parliament and the EU itself. Some remainers think the world revolves around Glorious England. They are as bad as Brexiteers.

RedSparrows

Prophet of Regret
Feb 22, 2019
What is the point of voting for parties whose entire program is Brexit / not Brexit for the European Elections ? The fate of Brexit is not going to be decided at the European parliament. If anything, all it does is again using the EU as a courtroom to play internal politics on the grand stage, while ignoring everything about the actual role and mission of the European parliament and the EU itself. Some remainers think the world revolves around Glorious England. They are as bad as Brexiteers.

Plus ca change, eh.

Ravensmash

Oct 25, 2017
Hey, Beth Rigby is now Sky News political editor.

Does that mean Faisal is finally at the BBC?

I know he was due to go there, but felt like he had to stay at Sky for a while due to Brexit being an utter mess.

CampFreddie

A King's Landing
Oct 25, 2017
I read Chuka's article about why he doesn't want a remain alliance. It's complete bullshit, and his main argumetn is an appeal that if they formed an Alliance party for the EU elections, then it "would look a bit odd" if they split up again for the GE.
This is the same party that literally changed it's name just for the EU elections.

It's like the remain parties are living in complete denial. The MEPs positions are utterly pointless because they'll be out of a job 4 months later unless Brexit is stopped.

The point is to get MEPs who at least believe that the EUP should exist, rather than MEPs who simply want to wreck it. As well as a proxy for showing general support towards remaining in the EU and avoiding a catastrophe for all members (though mostly for the UK).
That said, the LibDems, SNP and Greens have clear positions on EU policies as well as being pro-EU. Fuck knows what ChUK think, which is another reason they should just fuck off. But I'd know that by voting for an alliance, I'd get people that support a mix of center-left and pro-environment policies - which will do for me.
I don't agree with the Greens, but I'd take an MEP who has different positions on environmental policy over an MEP that just wants to obstruct and destroy the parliament.

Anyway, that ship has sailed. We'll be getting a mainly Brexit set of MEPs, with a hodge-podge of minor pro-EU parties (and a big chunk of MEPs who think "nobody mention Brexit in case it harms our chances in the national election") despite support for remain being significantly higher than leave.

Spaghetti

Dec 2, 2017
There's no way I'm going to post all examples, but the ChUKas' Euro Elections candidate list has been decimated online. There's going to be a lot of pressure on more of them to step down today.

Some very easily searchable stuff too, but the more obscure deep-dives reveal just how bad of a job was done vetting these people.

Blent

Oct 26, 2017
East Midlands, England, UK
On one hand, you could look at the tearing down of TINGE and their candidates as over-zealous and cynical, as if Labour/Lib Dem/Green/SNP/LD/etc activists are afraid about the CHUKAs taking votes away from them.

But on the other hand, being as fair as I possibly can, they really haven't offered anything of substance yet to back up their entire ethos as the 'changing politics for the better' party. Other than 'stop Brexit with a people's vote' (which is pretty agreeable), they don't seem to be offering anything policy wise that separates them from the same old tired, centrist stuff. And voting for confidence in the May government? Dumbfounding.

And as much as Umunna wants to subvert political conventions by claiming that their crap, uninspiring name and branding shouldn't matter and that focusing on superficial stuff like that is not what they're about, it doesn't change the fact that having a quality name and branding actually fucking matters in the real world.

I genuinely respect and admire people for taking an active role by getting involved in politics and standing up for what they believe in, which TINGE seem to be doing to some extent. But I truly do struggle to see what they are actually offering that is worth buying into yet other than stopping Brexit. Which they sure aren't going to do with a handful of MPs or MEPs.

Tygre

Oct 25, 2017
Chesire, UK
There's no way I'm going to post all examples, but the ChUKas' Euro Elections candidate list has been decimated online. There's going to be a lot of pressure on more of them to step down today.

Some very easily searchable stuff too, but the more obscure deep-dives reveal just how bad of a job was done vetting these people.

Yep, it's a hilarious disaster.

Tzarscream

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
On one hand, you could look at the tearing down of TINGE and their candidates as over-zealous and cynical, as if Labour/Lib Dem/Green/SNP/LD/etc activists are afraid about the CHUKAs taking votes away from them.

But on the other hand, being as fair as I possibly can, they really haven't offered anything of substance yet to back up their entire ethos as the 'changing politics for the better' party. Other than 'stop Brexit with a people's vote' (which is pretty agreeable), they don't seem to be offering anything policy wise that separates them from the same old tired, centrist stuff. And voting for confidence in the May government? Dumbfounding.

And as much as Umunna wants to subvert political conventions by claiming that their crap, uninspiring name and branding shouldn't matter and that focusing on superficial stuff like that is not what they're about, it doesn't change the fact that having a quality name and branding actually fucking matters in the real world.

I genuinely respect and admire people for taking an active role by getting involved in politics and standing up for what they believe in, which TINGE seem to be doing to some extent. But I truly do struggle to see what they are actually offering that is worth buying into yet other than stopping Brexit. Which they sure aren't going to do with a handful of MPs or MEPs.
They are a party that has recognise that Brexit has split opinions across party lines and this has exposed a massive failing in the us vs them nature of British politics.

They're suggesting we need a new system for a new era, and I agree with them.

They're not perfect and I keep the ex-tories at a currently admirable (Soubry has been very good in pushing remain) but generally sceptical (Soubry also thinks the coalition government did good word) arms length.

But you listen to some MPs across parties Lisa Nandy, Tom Tugdenhat, Nick Boles, etc and you can see there's a desire now to focus more on collaboration and compromise rather than the tribal politics of yore.

For reference:

Status
Not open for further replies.