• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Silver-Streak

Oct 25, 2017
That sounds much less like Brexit is on pause, and much more like "Brexit Deal" Is on pause. It sounds much more like No-deal Brexit is full steam ahead.

Edit: Title has since been updated.

Last edited:

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
Still reads like Frost doesn't know how to convince Boris of how serious things are.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
Pretty sure EU said this weekend was "we gotta start prepping for no deal and negotiating inbetween deals for planes and shit so they dont collapse in January". So either Johnson and Von der Leyen get an agreement of sorts, or we into hard Brexit.

Jokerman

May 16, 2020
There is no way Johnson doesn't make a deal. He will back peddle and capitulate just like he has all year.

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
This isn't encouraging for anyone, but it's probably best to wait until tomorrow to see how that plays out. There's been a growing feeling among European political journalists for a while now that the UK side (particularly Johnson) would need some kind of last-minute performative intervention to allow Johnson to look tough, then look like he's single-handedly rescued a deal. I'm far from convinced that's what will happen tomorrow, but it is at least possible.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
Pretty sure EU said this weekend was "we gotta start prepping for no deal and negotiating inbetween deals for planes and shit so they dont collapse in January". So either Johnson and Von der Leyen get an agreement of sorts, or we into hard Brexit.
Of course. We have reached the stage where it is becoming much more unlikely that all parliaments manage to ratify this. I mean, it is 26 countries + 3 parliaments in Belgium that have to ratify the deal before the 31st.

Raggie

Oct 16, 2018
Watching Brexit be like:

USiE.gif

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
Of course. We have reached the stage where it is becoming much more unlikely that all parliaments manage to ratify this. I mean, it is 26 countries + 3 parliaments in Belgium that have to ratify the deal before the 31st.
Any deal can potentially be applied provisionally from the 31st without formal ratification, based on agreement from the Council, with approval of the European Parliament to follow later (with other national and regional parliaments also ratifying later, if the agreement is determined to be a mixed agreement). This would buy a little time - not much, because approval would still be a legal necessity, but enough to heavily mitigate any worry about time for ratification.

ryodi

#TeamThierry
Oct 27, 2017
UK is not ready for no deal, it's not even ready with a deal.

The deal on offer is barely better than No Deal and we aren't prepared at all. France have already done test runs in their new customs structures while the UK has just built some lorry parks. The majority of the population is in for a nasty surprise on January 1st when all the new changes kick in.

25th Baam

Jan 9, 2018
I wonder what concept of oven-ready deal johnson meant...
Btw what is the view of all this mess from the british media? Usual gov propaganda or they are showing a semblance of teeth?

IpKaiFung

Oct 27, 2017
Wales
The deal on offer is barely better than No Deal and we aren't prepared at all. France have already done test runs in their new customs structures while the UK has just built some lorry parks. The majority of the population is in for a nasty surprise on January 1st when all the new changes kick in.
Yes, what took a few hours at Dover (trucks driving off the ferry) will now take days.

The UK has customs infrastructure is designed to handle 50% of the goods flowing into the UK. The other 50% just flowed through, due to the free movement of goods as part of EU membership.

Even with the removal of tariffs, which is the aim of this deal, the administrative nightmare facing the UK on 1 January will cause untold turmoil.

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder what concept of oven-ready deal johnson meant...
Johnson's "oven-ready" deal was the withdrawal agreement. He simplified that into an election slogan to appeal to people who just wanted Brexit done, while neglecting to mention that there was an entirely separate set of negotiations needed to determine the future relationship (that's the process that may be nearing an end now).

25th Baam

Jan 9, 2018
Johnson's "oven-ready" deal was the withdrawal agreement. He simplified that into an election slogan to appeal to people who just wanted Brexit done, while neglecting to mention that there was an entirely separate set of negotiations needed to determine the future relationship (that's the process that may be nearing an end now).
Yea I know, that's why I said that his concept of over-ready was ridiculous at best and disingenuous at worse. Plus he already shitted all over the deal with the internal markets bill anyway, so more like a oven-ready pile of steaming shit lol

Xiofire

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
How many steps into the cooking instructions are we? This is a very complicated ready meal.

Jokerman

May 16, 2020
Well that's sad, even if expected. I think this is going to enter history as one of the biggest shots in the foot ever, not even Trump as president got to this level of complete madness. Guess Labor really fucked up with Corbyn huh?

The electorate has fucked up at every stage, starting with not electing Ed Miliband.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
"The EU will blink any day now" says every bellend.

I know it's never going to happen but if we finally know 'no deal' is the outcome can we have referendum on accepting it or staying even though we left already :(

Oct 31, 2017
The fact that the end of this shitty, shitty year is just the beginning of the next nightmare is... something. I don't know if I will ever be able to forgive the people who voted for this.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
It really is insane to me that the entire Trump Presidency came and went while Brexit negotiations were still going on.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The UK should just be honest, we want a free trade deal the same as before but not following any rules or regulations and we also want to be a tax haven, if not no deal is cool because we have bet against the UK doing well and going to make a fortune with disaster capitalism as well as selling assets and bleeding tax payers dry paying ourselves. Why are the EU being so mean!

25th Baam

Jan 9, 2018
The electorate has fucked up at every stage, starting with not electing Ed Miliband.
I think this is something that must be studied because it's just a series of bad decisions, running way before the incredibly stupid Cameron's brexit referendum (non-binding btw! which is just another incredible thing about this whole thing).

In a way this is the political equivalent of Chernobyl.

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK
what happens when there is no deal?

Trading rules fall back to WTO terms, tariffs get applied to goods crossing the border, UK driving licenses are no longer valid in the EU, data protection laws get more complicated if you're sending data from the EU to UK, air transport between the UK and EU gets disrupted (worst case you can't fly there anymore), the Eurotunnel becomes an area of legal uncertainty, UK police lose many of the tools they rely on for tackling crime, and ultimately UK GDP decreases by 8% over the next decade (or rather, we don't grow by 8%)

All this is ignoring the political impact. If it's 'lets agree to disagree and come back in January', then maybe relations can improve. If, however, the Government starts seriously pushing through legislation that breaks the Withdrawal Agreement and acts upon that, then we're in for a world of hurt.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
Trading rules fall back to WTO terms, tariffs get applied to goods crossing the border, UK driving licenses are no longer valid in the EU, data protection laws get more complicated if you're sending data from the EU to UK, air transport between the UK and EU gets disrupted (worst case you can't fly there anymore), the Eurotunnel becomes an area of legal uncertainty, UK police lose many of the tools they rely on for tackling crime, and ultimately UK GDP decreases by 8% over the next decade (or rather, we don't grow by 8%)

All this is ignoring the political impact. If it's 'lets agree to disagree and come back in January', then maybe relations can improve. If, however, the Government starts seriously pushing through legislation that breaks the Withdrawal Agreement and acts upon that, then we're in for a world of hurt.
sounds horrific.

Mr Coopz

Jul 21, 2019
The pain and suffering from this fallout next year along with with the growing economic crisis, god fucking help the poor and most vulnerable.

Herb Alpert

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Paris, France
Lol
"we're almost there", "an agreement is in sight", "we're on the brink of"
And then, "significant divergences"

Business as usual