• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
No 10 has said rules allowing EU nationals to live and work freely in the UK will end in the event of a no-deal Brexit at the end of October.

Theresa May's government had considered extending freedom of movement to 2021 or allowing EU citizens to stay in the UK for three months before having to apply for a longer stay.

However both those options have now been dropped, in favour of a new approach which will be set out later.

About 3m EU citizens live in the UK.

Freedom of movement allows EU citizens to live and work in other European Union countries.

Asked about the issue, Prime Minister Boris Johnson said the UK would not "become remotely hostile to immigration or immigrants".

He added that "immigration into the UK will be democratically controlled."

A Downing Street spokeswoman reiterated the government's desire for an Australian-style points-based system.

She also added that "tougher criminality rules" for those coming to the UK will be introduced.

TheGummyBear

Jan 6, 2018
United Kingdom
So Boneheaded Boris promised to guarantee the rights of every EU citizen living in the UK, but he's ending freedom of movement without saying how those EU citizens will have their rights protected?

And he wants to claim he's not being hostile to immigrants at the same time?

God I hope the anti-no deal coalition can get its act together and eject this nob from leadership, pronto.

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Asked about the issue, Prime Minister Boris Johnson said the UK would not "become remotely hostile to immigration or immigrants".

Nah, we're just going to kick them out and not let them back. Unless, of course, they're more qualified than their British peers so that we can still say foreigners are stealing British jobs.

Loxley

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017

dtztLnp.png

Geoff

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Not really a huge surprise. That's what no deal is. A sudden and massive change to the relationship between the two entities and a clusterfuck on a hundred different levels.

Psittacus

Oct 27, 2017
They can puff their chest out and threaten to leave with no deal all they want. The EU isn't going to budge.

Aug 16, 2019
UK
There is only one sentence there that really shakes me and it is

A Downing Street spokeswoman reiterated the government's desire for an Australian-style points-based system

I can't think of anything worse. If this happens I am really going to consider moving away from here.

I had so many friends in Australia as immigrants ... The stories are horrible

Oct 27, 2017
London
How do we, as the next generation, seriously fight against this and get free movement back? One would hope when an opposition party takes over one day they are more open to negotiating these rights back, young people especially will be utterly fucked by this, unable to study, live and work in EU countries as seamlessly as it is now.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
So if I want to move to an English speaking country where my German is worth a cent it's Ireland for me, isn't it.

Zeroneo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Funny thing is that this still won't stop all the brown people that they were scared about

MajorBritten

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
How do we, as the next generation, seriously fight against this and get free movement back? One would hope when an opposition party takes over one day they are more open to negotiating these rights back, young people especially will be utterly fucked by this, unable to study, live and work in EU countries as seamlessly as it is now.

Thats a bit hyperbolic, people will still be able to do all of those things, EU countries are not going to suddenly refuse UK nationals from staying in their countries and vice versa with the UK and EU nationals. The only real change is that you'll have to fill out a bit of paperwork and have proof that you have no criminal background. It wont be as seamless as it is now but its not going to dramatically change how people travel/move abroad.

The Emperor

Oct 25, 2017
The end of an era unfortunately.

Wonder if visa free travel for holidays will be available for EU in UK and vice versa

Geoff

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Thats a bit hyperbolic, people will still be able to do all of those things, EU countries are not going to suddenly refuse UK nationals from staying in their countries and vice versa with the UK and EU nationals. The only real change is that you'll have to fill out a bit of paperwork and have proof that you have no criminal background. It wont be as seamless as it is now but its not going to dramatically change how people travel/move abroad.

Er...yes it will. Going on holiday will be no problem but if you think you can just swan into the EU after the 31st and start applying for jobs (or vice versa) you'll have another think coming. It'll be like trying to work in Australia or the US. Possible if you have the right skills or your employer sorts something out for you but otherwise, forget it.

danowat

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It wont be as seamless as it is now but its not going to dramatically change how people travel/move abroad.

Being old enough to remember travelling before the borderless Europe, it's a fairly dramatic change.

I've woken up in the morning and decided to pop over the France or Belgium on a whim because I could, or pop over to a factory on the continent for work at short notice, depending on the visa process, you won't be able to do that anymore.

FliX

Master of the Reality Stone
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
Er...yes it will. Going on holiday will be no problem but if you think you can just swan into the EU after the 31st and start applying for jobs (or vice versa) you'll have another think coming. It'll be like trying to work in Australia or the US. Possible if you have the right skills or your employer sorts something out for you but otherwise, forget it.
Add to that the work visa process takes a long time and costs a lot of money.

Koukalaka

Oct 28, 2017
Scotland

This is incredibly poorly informed - I've met other folks with the same incorrect notion that things won't change much.

Lishi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Nope, travelling and staying are very different.

You will need work visa to stay most likely and those require certain skills, are limited in numbers etc.

Oct 27, 2017
London

And with a large pool of EU citizen workers who is going to hire you in the EU. And most people can speak English anyway in EU countries so speaking English isn't a benefit like it is in Japan or something. For example going on holiday in Singapore is incredibly easy, I can just book my flight and go over there if I feel like it but working there is subject to an extremely strict visa process with employer sponsorship, background checks, etc. Travel =/= wanting to stay long term in the country.

The Emperor

Oct 25, 2017
Nope, travelling and staying are very different.

You will need work visa to stay most likely and those require certain skills, are limited in numbers etc.
Hopefully not too much or the NHS is going to have even worse staffing issues.

How important EU staff is to the NHS (and people from out of EU) is not to be understated. But with the EU staff (especially nurses) it has been so easy for them to fill the posts I worry this new system is going to make it harder. We already have a shortage of nurses/doctors as it is.

Geoff

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

How important EU staff is to the NHS (and people from out of EU) is not to be understated. But with the EU staff (especially nurses) it has been so easy for them to fill the posts I worry this new system is going to make it harder. We already have a shortage of nurses/doctors as it is.

The NHS is going to have even worse staffing issues. There is no question about it.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
If I get thrown out of Germany because of the fuckwits running the UK, which hopefully won't be the case because they're guaranteeing UK citizen rights for a period, I'll be so incredibly angry.

I still maintain my fuck everyone who voted for brexit position.

Lishi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

That is easy to fix, if your politician want it. for example they can make special queue and allowance for medical professional.

British worker and pensioner trying to move abroad will have harder time.

Lishi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If I get thrown out of Germany because of the fuckwits running the UK, which hopefully won't be the case because they're guaranteeing UK citizen rights for a period, I'll be so incredibly angry.

I still maintain my fuck everyone who voted for brexit position.

I think Germany will very likely give a working visa for everyone can demostrate they are currently working in Germany. Not the same as it need to be renewed but you should be ok.

No luck for those still staying in Britain.

MajorBritten

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Add to that the work visa process takes a long time and costs a lot of money.

Depends on how the embassy's have it set up, when I got my working holiday visa to New Zealand I got it the same day as I applied, Japan took a week and the one for canada took 10 days. Im sure there will be working holiday schemes that will allow people to work for a year or two without sponsorship and then after that you'd get a work visa through the company that you'd already be working for. Its more of a hassle but at least all countries will have more control over who they can let in, having a point based system isnt necessary a bad thing.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I'm sure you'll be fine, Boris said so.

I'm sure I'll be fine eventually because of being highly qualified and young enough that I'll definitely meet any visa requirements, and it looks like they're lenient enough on the German side that I'll be able to sort it out while living there when I get there (the position starting is cutting it far closer to the deadline than I'd like...).

But if there's anyone who can fuck this up for me on a personal level, I'm sure Boris will find that way.

Even if it does all work out for me though, I'll never stop being angry that so many others are having their rights stripped away (as well as everything else that will likely happen as a result of this mess) to protect the conservative parties ass and appeal to a bunch of people who either are willfully ignorant of what this all entails, or worse are being deliberately malevolent in their foolishness.

Last edited:

Deleted member 5129

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ugh, I have plans to go to London early November to visit someone - flights booked etc. And I'm really scared of Brexit. It'll be chaos at the airports for weeks and weeks considering it probably wont be as easy to travel anymore... Will I need a visa? Who knows. >_>

The Emperor

Oct 25, 2017
Ugh, I have plans to go to London early November to visit someone - flights booked etc. And I'm really scared of Brexit. It'll be chaos at the airports for weeks and weeks considering it probably wont be as easy to travel anymore... Will I need a visa? Who knows. >_>
If it's no deal your plane might not even be licensed to land in the UK

amanset

Oct 28, 2017
I think Germany will very likely give a working visa for everyone can demostrate they are currently working in Germany. Not the same as it need to be renewed but you should be ok.

No luck for those still staying in Britain.

People don't want "should be OK". It is a fucking scary position to be in.

And visas can have all sorts of issues. What if you get made redundant at around renewal time, especially if we have another financial crisis (which is looking quite possible)? Relying on a visa is a fucking long way from what we have right now. I know people that have had to leave the country because of issues with work visas. Sometimes it isn't even your fault, it could be that your company doesn't feel the correct paperwork, doesn't pay the right taxes or whatever. And you are shit out of luck.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Would I be right in thinking EU countries don't have the systems in place to adhere to new UK rules if they wanted to work in the UK because there was no need before Brexit so unless you get to an embassy or similar you are screwed.

Even the criminal sharing system, we are leaving that but doing something new on our end but sort of still using their stuff.

As for the Australian point system, rest of the world immigration is already a cluster fuck in the UK which they don't touch with a barge pole and they'll somehow nail this in 2 months? Come the fuck on.

It's a joke, cost, complication, red tape. Brexit is a con, a dangerous one.

I will laugh if they do a freedom of movement deal with India for a trade deal though, all old Brexiters might all have heart attacks.

Deleted member 44129

Banned
May 29, 2018
Every single retired old fucker that has retired to Spain and still voted Brexit should be deported back to the UK so they can enjoy the country tanking with the rest of us.

Brexit is a sabotage brought upon us by fascists, racists, enemy states, and businesses that want to exploit us while we're down.