• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Planet

Oct 25, 2017
brexit_helpmegpjun.jpg

Napalm_Frank

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Finland
It's funny, but stomach turning at the same time. Populism is frightening on the whole. It's never been a positive force in history afaik.

Ehh, that is highly debateable. Depends on what you consider populism tho, it is mostly used to describe right wing parties these days it seems. I'd imagine most of the big strides in workers' rights in history sprung from a populist platform.

I'd say someone like Sanders is easily the most populist presidential candidate out of the big democrats and I'd consider him a positive force. Obviously he represents a very different approach to what Trump's populism is.

edit: and to be more on topic, Corbyn definitely didn't run a campaing devoid of populism.

Last edited:

Minky

Verified
Oct 27, 2017
UK
He and his toadies are a fucking disgrace. I despise the lot of them and wish so many horrible things upon them. I feel so mortified that they're somehow our representatives on the world stage; so much so that I'm almost glad we're leaving. Better that we just fuck off and wallow in our own shit, fading into complete irrelevance on our own pathetic little rock instead of continuing to be the obnoxious entitled cunts striding around ruining everything. We don't deserve a seat at the table.

You may not like him, but he has been the most effective politician in recent times, and he is not even an MP, he singlehanded took down Cameron and forced a referendum and won Boris the election, he also told the EU many years ago we will be leaving and he was derided as a fool

well look who is laughing now

name any other politician who has been as effective as him

hahaha shut up

Last edited:

Palette Swap

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
You may not like him, but he has been the most effective politician in recent times, and he is not even an MP, he singlehanded took down Cameron and forced a referendum and won Boris the election, he also told the EU many years ago we will be leaving and he was derided as a fool

well look who is laughing now

name any other politician who has been as effective as him
What an odd way to put it, choosing "you may not like him" to obliquely say you're supporting a racist cunt.

klonere

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Why do you support a far-right charlatan who literally sang Hitler-youth songs as a schoolboy?

1018316866.jpg

yeah sure whatever big fan, we might get a united ireland out of him rousing a mostly pliant population who wish to re-enact the Empire all over again and be even more racist, huge fan honestly.

Deleted member 16516

User requested account closure
Oct 27, 2017
The rest of the MEPs singing Auld Lang Syne in response to the Brexit Party's actions really emphasises just how pathetic and lacking in class these Brexiteers are:

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
I'd like to think the penny will drop that peoples lives will not get ANY better after Brexit a bit quicker than 20 years.
Can't see it. Remain was a shitshow and there is no credible rejoin faction in british politics (well maybe the SNP).

Rejoin ain't happening in the next 10-15 years

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
I'd like to think the penny will drop that peoples lives will not get ANY better after Brexit a bit quicker than 20 years.
A big chunk of the Brexit-supporting UK public have now internalised the idea that they didn't vote for Brexit for financial gain, they voted for it for some nebulous concept of sovereignty and "control". Even if their original expectations were that their financial situation would improve, their expectations have now been managed to the point where they aren't going to be looking for anything to get better.

If anything I think that this will go the other way. Brexit won't result in a single cliff-edge moment for the UK economy. There'll be some individual bad days (which will be written off by Brexit-supporting commentators as definitely not having anything to do with Brexit), but in almost all sectors the effect of Brexit will be a long-term dampening effect. Most things just get a bit worse, but not spectacularly so - it'll be difficult to notice and easy to acclimatise in the medium-term. That lack of impact will be touted by Brexit supporters as being evidence that Brexit was fine. Once some years have passed, there probably will be a growing feeling among the public that Brexit wasn't good, but by then it will have the inertia of being the status quo, making it difficult to convince people to rejoin.

spookyduzt

Drive-In Mutant
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like Brexiters think they're the So Long and Thanks For All the Fish dolphins, when the exact opposite is true.

Acidote

Oct 26, 2017
The best part being I doubt that Britain gets all of its exemptions back if it returns to the EU.
I would angrily shake my fist at the TV 20 years from now if the Union is invited to rejoin 20 years from now with the same exemptions. Of course, whoever supported those exemptions would lose my vote.

Zellia

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
If/when we go crawling back to an EU that has moved on without us, the chances of us retaining the exemptions we had before leaving is zero. We're not going to have the clout to negotiate such favourable terms again.

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
If/when we go crawling back to an EU that has moved on without us, the chances of us retaining the exemptions we had before leaving is zero. We're not going to have the clout to negotiate such favourable terms again.
If the UK manages to keep the Common Travel Area up and running and then rejoins later, the EU might re-offer the UK its Schengen exemption (since forcing the UK into Schengen would mess with the CTA and potentially require Ireland to join Schengen, overriding Ireland's Schengen exemption).

The other exemptions will indeed be out of the picture if the UK ever rejoins.

Wackamole

Oct 27, 2017
He won big-time. Now it's waiting to find out how much the U.K. lost.
I wish the people the best of luck.

Calabi

Oct 26, 2017
A big chunk of the Brexit-supporting UK public have now internalised the idea that they didn't vote for Brexit for financial gain, they voted for it for some nebulous concept of sovereignty and "control". Even if their original expectations were that their financial situation would improve, their expectations have now been managed to the point where they aren't going to be looking for anything to get better.

If anything I think that this will go the other way. Brexit won't result in a single cliff-edge moment for the UK economy. There'll be some individual bad days (which will be written off by Brexit-supporting commentators as definitely not having anything to do with Brexit), but in almost all sectors the effect of Brexit will be a long-term dampening effect. Most things just get a bit worse, but not spectacularly so - it'll be difficult to notice and easy to acclimatise in the medium-term. That lack of impact will be touted by Brexit supporters as being evidence that Brexit was fine. Once some years have passed, there probably will be a growing feeling among the public that Brexit wasn't good, but by then it will have the inertia of being the status quo, making it difficult to convince people to rejoin.

People are retroactively rewriting history. Like my Sister saying she knew exactly what she was voting and glad its all over now. There is no reasoning with these people no matter how bad it gets. I think it will be bad much worse than people think, especially with our incompetent government, there's no scenario where its not to bad. Boris and the government are pushing themselves into their own corner, they are saying they want no deal. Even if they don't go for no deal they somehow turn back from it at the last minute, their will be an extreme amount of damage to this country from a lesser deal.

People will notice it, but they will accept it and even perhaps be happy for it as they've given their incompetent shit cunt government full reign to completely destroy their lives, and their futures.