• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lagamorph

Wrong About Chicken
Oct 26, 2017
How does a three line whip apply to abstentions? If Labour MPs want to support the deal could they potentially abstain and thus make it require fewer votes to pass whilst avoiding consequences from the whips office?

Geoff

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'd put more store in what Mac D says that what comes from JC/Milne

So that's good.

I don't like the numbers and the noises off though.

Has anyone pinned any of these cunts down yet? Any interviews with Kinnick or Nandy or Smeath or Jarvis?

If they've all gone to the mattresses that's obviously NOT a good sign

Deleted member 31104

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
I think it'll go through tomorrow but via Letwins amendment to require the extension and give time for proper scrutiny.

Gives Labour MP's an out.

Remember if it goes through, it's only the first stage, the bill will be far more problematic with a small majority, because it'll go line by line through the deal turning it into legalese and there will be stuff that various groups who are holding their nose will struggle with.

Requesting the extension and giving time for that process is both sensible and reduces the chances it'll ultimately go through. Also gives time for proper impact assessments as well.

It also stops the ERG getting around the Benn Act by agreeing the 'deal' then voting down the legislation.

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
If labour mp's support this they can kiss their support goodbye. Pro Brexiteers will go to Boris and remainers will feel so pissed off they either won't vote or switch parties.

OP
OP
Uzzy

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK
I think it'll go through tomorrow but via Letwins amendment to require the extension and give time for proper scrutiny.

Remember if it goes through, it's only the first stage, the bill will be far more problematic with a small majority, because it'll go line by line through the deal turning it into legalese and there will be stuff that various groups who are holding their nose will struggle with.

Requesting the extension and giving time for that process is both sensible and reduces the chances it'll ultimately go through. Also gives time for proper impact assessments as well.

It also stops the ERG getting around the Benn Act by agreeing the 'deal' then voting down the legislation.

Now that's a good amendment.

Acorn

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
How does a three line whip apply to abstentions? If Labour MPs want to support the deal could they potentially abstain and thus make it require fewer votes to pass whilst avoiding consequences from the whips office?
Still breaking the whip. There's no technical way out when it's ultimately at the discretion of the whip.

Blue Lou

Oct 26, 2017
I've just seen one of those Facebook posts.

WHY IS NOBODY TALKING ABOUT THE LISBON TREATY, THE TREATY THAT WILL BE FULLY IMPLEMENTED IN 2020...🤷‍♂️
"What will actually happen if we stay in the EU" is a question no remainer will ever answer but here it is warts and all.
1: The UK along with all existing members of the EU LOSE their abstention veto in 2020 as laid down in the Lisbon Treaty when the system changes to that of majority acceptance with NO abstentions or veto's being allowed.
2: All member nations will become states of the new federal nation of the EU by 2022 as clearly laid out in the Lisbon treaty with NO exceptions or veto's.
3: ALL member states MUST adopt the Euro by 2022 and any new member state must do so within 2 years of joining the EU as laid down in the Lisbon treaty.
4: The London stock exchange will move to Frankfurt in 2020 and be integrated into the EU stock exchange resulting in a loss of 200,000 plus jobs in the UK because of the relocation. (This has already been pre-agreed and is only on a holding pattern due to the Brexit negotiations, which if Brexit does happen, the move is fully cancelled - but if not and the UK remains a member it's full steam ahead for the move.)
5: The EU Parliament and ECJ become supreme over all legislative bodies of the UK.
6: The UK will adopt 100% of whatever the EU Parliament and ECJ lays down without any means of abstention or veto, negating the need for the UK to have the Lords or even the Commons as we know it today.
7: The UK will NOT be able to make its own trade deals.
8: The UK will NOT be able to set its own trade tariffs.
9 The UK will NOT be able to set its own trade quotas.
10: The UK loses control of its fishing rights
11: The UK loses control of its oil and gas rights
12: The UK loses control of its borders and enters the Schengen region by 2022 - as clearly laid down in the Lisbon treaty
13: The UK loses control of its planning legislation
14: The UK loses control of its armed forces including its nuclear deterrent
15: The UK loses full control of its taxation policy
16: The UK loses the ability to create its own laws and to implement them
17: The UK loses its standing in the Commonwealths
18: The UK loses control of any provinces or affiliated nations e.g.: Falklands, Cayman Islands, Gibraltar etc
19: The UK loses control of its judicial system
20: The UK loses control of its international policy
21: The UK loses full control of its national policy
22: The UK loses its right to call itself a nation in its own right.
23: The UK loses control of its space exploration program
24: The UK loses control of its Aviation and Sea lane jurisdiction
25: The UK loses its rebate in 2020 as laid down in the Lisbon treaty
26: The UK's contribution to the EU is set to increase by an average of 1.2bn pa and by 2.3bn pa by 2020...
This is the future that the youths of today THINK WE stole from them?
They should be on their knees thanking us for saving them from being turned into Orwellian automatons!

This is the whole reason they are dragging brexit out. So we can get to 2020 then we have no choice OTHER THAN COMPLETE & TOTAL ACCEPTANCE......

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
That Letwin amendment is smart and necessary. Given the ERG have already poisoned this Deal in previous amendments that block a border between NI and the UK. Without it they could pass the deal, avoiding the Benn act, then point out the deal is illegal and try to get it thrown out before the leave date hits getting them the No Deal they crave.

Principate

Oct 31, 2017

I don't think they'll support this either if they don't support the original bill. It's not a meaningful out as they'll still get hammered at the next election due having this go through.

It's probably end off worse for them if this deal is quietly killed rather than sensationally.

Tygre

Oct 25, 2017
Chesire, UK

This is a quite exceptionally clever amendment, so much so it has me feeling a lot more confident than I was last night.

I can see this passing quite comfortably, forcing the Benn Act extension clause to activate.

Johnson probably shouldn't have pissed off so many former lawyers over the years.

Guppeth

Oct 25, 2017
Sheffield, UK
Had an email from the guy replacing Kevin Barron in Rother Valley at the next GE. Here's what he thinks of Brexit.
Luke Farley said:
It goes without saying that Brexit is the biggest issue of the day. The 2016 referendum has divided people up and down the country, but Rother Valley voted by a firm 67% to leave. I am a democrat above anything, and I firmly believe that the voice of people here must be respected and heeded. However,we cannot stand for the Tory approach of turning Britain into a Singapore-style tax haven for the super-rich, that ignores our communities and forces people further into hopelessness.
God I hate living on Gammon Prime.

Unclebenny

Oct 28, 2017
Aka it's happening but we don't want to accept how bad it might be, and if it is, it'll be too late, aka, think positively, the Tory mantra.

The entire Brexit campaign was run on the back of deflection of the realities of Brexit. It's actually fun little nostalgic trip back to the land of Roses and Brexit. Everything will be fine, anything negative can be overcome with British gumption. The rest of th world will be falling at our dainty feet.

Fuck these people and their purile noise.

Deleted member 31104

Banned
Nov 5, 2017
I don't think they'll support this either if they don't support the original bill. It's not a meaningful out as they'll still get hammered at the next election due having this go through.

It's probably end off worse for them if this deal is quietly killed rather than sensationally.

But here's the rub, they'll vote on this before the original. The original won't stand if this amendment is accepted. This removes two problems for Labour MP/Tory Wets the possibility that the ERG will vote for approval against legislation and for Labour leave MP's it allows them to say they'll vote for the deal but need more information.

Given the names on the motion, if the opposition parties support it it'll go through.

killer_clank

Oct 25, 2017
Why?

There's no way the ERG, en bloc, will "betray" the DUP

You think? They're literally doing it before your eyes. A few of the 90s Eurosceptics will be more Unionist than the likes of Baker and Francois and might huff and puff a bit more but I'd genuinely be surprised if there were more than one or 2 holdouts, and I think even that is a stretch

Guppeth

Oct 25, 2017
Sheffield, UK
Same, RedSparrows. Its getting harder to wake up not feeling incredibly depressed every day. Can't believe what a shitshow David Cameron has caused and the rest have taken and doubled-down on. At least an estimated 100,000 people have died due to the effects of Tory austerity, and that's before we've left the EU, which has decent basic Human Rights to protect the masses.

If you want to feel even worse, check out www.MyEu.co.uk; You can a postcode in and out tells you what nearby services and projects has been funded with EU money.
Small correction: it's myeu.uk. Thanks for the link though, it's interesting. Loads of projects around here in Gammonville.

Deleted member 34788

Banned
Nov 29, 2017
I'm a bit more skeptical of this, to be honest.

Nothing wrong with that. There is a hc cabal of no dealers crazies the erg that almost out the party anyway and into the arms if the bxp, plus those who are unionists, and hardcore ones at that. Them voting the deal down isn't out of the question at all. They'll wont lose the seats or the whip, so they have that cover. Plus having the likes of the dup having tour back as a Tory mo is no bad thing.

All the models I've seen so far have all of the 28 erg lot voting for the deal....which is something. Even a handful not doing that kills the deal. Add the moves labour are already making to cut down the rebel numbers and the deal wont pass.

It will be very interesting to see what noises labour make. The last three times they locked shit down, stayed quiet and focused on keeping a lid on things. If it shakes out the same way, till the vite tomorrow. It's an encouraging sign.

dean_rcg

Oct 27, 2017
Ignoring how bad the deal is for workers rights etc any Labour MP who votes for it is committing us to 5-10 years minimum of Bojo in charge so i hope they think twice.

danowat

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The entire Brexit campaign was run on the back of deflection of the realities of Brexit. It's actually fun little nostalgic trip back to the land of Roses and Brexit. Everything will be fine, anything negative can be overcome with British gumption. The rest of th world will be falling at our dainty feet.

Fuck these people and their purile noise.
John le Carre did a good interview on R4 the other day where he said the same thing, although the way he said it, and the words he used were far more eloquent than anything I could come up with.

Edit : https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p07qznl0

Geoff

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just like they were going to get May's deal over the line etc

Two things have changed since then

1. 20 Labour MPs have formed a 'Labour for a deal' group and said they would vote for the deal if it ever came back to the house and that they regret not doing so before
2. We don't have the ERG 'spartan' buffer we had last time.

Acorn

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
I wonder how long this feeling of the country no longer being recognisable as theirs anymore will stick around.

I've felt like that for awhile but I'm for independence, I'm seeing anti Indy voters etc feeling like this more and more.

Principate

Oct 31, 2017
But here's the rub, they'll vote on this before the original. The original won't stand if this amendment is accepted. This removes two problems for Labour MP/Tory Wets the possibility that the ERG will vote for approval against legislation and for Labour leave MP's it allows them to say they'll vote for the deal but need more information.

Given the names on the motion, if the opposition parties support it it'll go through.
Yeah but it seems Labours main goal is to ensure this deal dies hence the 3 line whip. Your assuming labour would softened their approach to this deal when even attaching a second referendum to it seems unlikely to pass.

It just feels like an unlikely and poor bet, does it really matter if Labour leave MP's play well to their base when if the deal passed at all labour would certainly get decimented. That's the view point labour is going to have on it. Seems more likely a 3 line whip would be attached to it rather a serious consideration.

Labour can't sell the Letwin amendment to anyone. You could sell the referendum but not this. I can only see the Letwin amendment passing if the original was going to pass anyway.

Last edited:

killer_clank

Oct 25, 2017
Two things have changed since then

1. 20 Labour MPs have formed a 'Labour for a deal' group and said they would vote for the deal if it ever came back to the house and that they regret not doing so before
2. We don't have the ERG 'spartan' buffer we had last time.

Exactly, we can't just keep assuming that because they voted down the May deal they'll do the same, heck without the numbers this tight and with all the independents even just the same Labour rebels might be enough.

Momentum is a hell of a thing in politics and this deal has it, even though it's terrible they just want it done

Deleted member 5129

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is there literally any chance the UK is gonna stay in the EU - or is brexit a sure thing and they're just unable to work out the details?

Man, Brexit sucks. My partner lives in the UK and my plan to move over there with him next year is gonna get thoroughly ruined by that shite.

JonnyDBrit

God and Anime
Oct 25, 2017
I know it's only loosely related to the latest revelation, but it astounded me this morning that people are still embellishing our position for the sake of rationalising their fantasies. Hence we apparently leapfrogged Japan to become the third largest economy, according to these sorts

Oct 28, 2017
Is there literally any chance the UK is gonna stay in the EU - or is brexit a sure thing and they're just unable to work out the details?

Man, Brexit sucks. My partner lives in the UK and my plan to move over there with him next year is gonna get thoroughly ruined by that shite.

Nothing is certain at this point. It is still all completely up in the air.

Acorn

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
I'm not familiar with the Lisbon treaty nor what it entails (also weren't new treaties done afterwards? Been a long while since that treaty, our PM from that time has even done some jail time in the meanwhile lmao) but this reads like 100% bullshit.
It is assorted complete bullshit and twisted half truths. Par for the course.

Deleted member 31104

Banned
Nov 5, 2017
I know it's only loosely related to the latest revelation, but it astounded me this morning that people are still embellishing our position for the sake of rationalising their fantasies. Hence we apparently leapfrogged Japan to become the third largest economy, according to these sorts

The gap between Japan (3rd) and the UK in GDP (5th) is greater than the gap between UK and Switzerland (23rd)

There are two giant economies (US and China), one giant trade bloc (EU) which acts like a single economy for the purposes of trade. One medium country in Japan (Germany would be the other if was distinct from the EU) and then a bunch of small countries of varying size.

Acorn

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
The gap between Japan (3rd) and the UK in GDP (5th) is greater than the gap between UK and Switzerland (23rd)

There are two giant economies (US and China), one giant trade bloc (EU) which acts like a single economy for the purposes of trade. One medium country in Japan (Germany would be the other if was distinct from the EU) and then a bunch of small countries of varying size.
Wouldn't be surprised if France starts seriously pulling away once brexit sets in.

Deleted member 31104

Banned
Nov 5, 2017
I'm not familiar with the Lisbon treaty nor what it entails (also weren't new treaties done afterwards? Been a long while since that treaty, our PM from that time has even done some jail time in the meanwhile lmao) but this reads like 100% bullshit.

The Lisbon Treaty came into full force in 2009 there's no subsequent additional provisions. It contains absolutely none of this shit.

Deleted member 862

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I didn't think somebody would be stupid enough to just say it but here you go

pay all the money, annex NI and then shoot yourself in the head

Status
Not open for further replies.