• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Who is the greatest of their era?

• Bret Hart

Votes: 521 70.7%
  • Shawn Michaels

Votes: 216 29.3%

• Total voters

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
That was not the plan. In the original plan, Bret wasn't going to show up in WCW for another month after that match, more than enough time for Bret to drop the title to literally anyone other than Shawn on the way out the door, or even to drop the belt to Shawn but not in Montreal.

Bret only showed up in WCW the next night because of the Screwjob.

I get why Bret didn't want to drop the title, but ultimately you do what the promoter asks of you, especially if you are on the way out. Shawn beating Bret for the title in Canada was necessary. Like yeah it sucks but do the job. If not shenanigans occur.

Lunchbox-

Nov 2, 2017
bEast Coast
That was not the plan. In the original plan, Bret wasn't going to show up in WCW for another month after that match, more than enough time for Bret to drop the title to literally anyone other than Shawn on the way out the door, or even to drop the belt to Shawn but not in Montreal.

easy to say that when your company is not on the line

if you're leaving you drop the title and put over the next guy, that has been rule forever, doesnt matter what your personal problems are. fact that you can't follow a basic locker room/industry code like that but expect your previous employer to "trust" you to do the right thing and drop the title later is so gullible. you put the title on shawn to give him heat then move on to wcw to do whatever you want, that's being professional

in a business environment where you're joining a competitor then saying -

"oh not to shawn"
"oh not in montreal"
"oh not today, not now"

that's called being a mark, get real

Feb 7, 2022

Bret showed up in WCW in December, as was always planned. There was no intention to pull a Medusa on Bret's part. Vince was(is?) a paranoid nutcase who was perfectly fine going back on his word because the ends justify the means, in his head. The success of the company after Montreal was the worst thing to happen, in hindsight, because it justified his shitty hypocritical business practices and proved that he "had" to screw Bret in order to save his business. Which is bullshit. 25 years later and we still have Vince marks running around defending him in general.

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
easy to say that when your company is not on the line

if you're leaving you drop the title and put over the next guy, that has been rule forever, doesnt matter what your personal problems are. fact that you can't follow a basic locker room/industry code like that but expect your previous employer to "trust" you to do the right thing and drop the title later is so gullible. you put the title on shawn to give him heat then move on to wcw to do whatever you want, that's being professional

in a business environment where you're joining a competitor then saying -

"oh not to shawn"
"oh not in montreal"
"oh not today, not now"

that's called being a mark, get real
lol you have no clue what your talking about and it shows.

Bret showed up in WCW in December, as was always planned. There was no intention to pull a Medusa on Bret's part. Vince was(is?) a paranoid nutcase who was perfectly fine going back on his word because the ends justify the means, in his head. The success of the company after Montreal was the worst thing to happen, in hindsight, because it justified his shitty hypocritical business practices and proved that he "had" to screw Bret in order to save his business. Which is bullshit. 25 years later and we still have Vince marks running around defending him in general.
Exactly

Nov 2, 2017
I get why Bret didn't want to drop the title, but ultimately you do what the promoter asks of you, especially if you are on the way out. Shawn beating Bret for the title in Canada was necessary. Like yeah it sucks but do the job. If not shenanigans occur.

Bret had a creative control clause in his contract, one he did not use often at all, and as a reminder, Bret's contract wasn't expiring. He wasn't leaving because he'd found a better deal. He signed a new multi-year contract with Vince the year before, 5 years I think it was, and the entire reason he was leaving the company was because Vince wanted to back out of that contract.

When you're leaving on those circumstances, you get to call the shots on the way out the door, especially when you're backed with a contract that guarantees you that right.

JaseMath

Oct 27, 2017
Denver, CO
Bret Hart is a legend who cared more about the sport than himself.

Still, Bret Hart vs. Shawn Michaels Iron Man is still my favorite match ever

Last edited:

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
Bret had a creative control clause in his contract, one he did not use often at all, and as a reminder, Bret's contract wasn't expiring. He wasn't leaving because he'd found a better deal. He signed a new multi-year contract with Vince the year before, 5 years I think it was, and the entire reason he was leaving the company was because Vince wanted to back out of that contract.

When you're leaving on those circumstances, you get to call the shots on the way out the door, especially when you're backed with a contract that guarantees you that right.

Isn't "creative control" generally bullshit though? Ive heard a lot of wrestlers comment on how that is always sort of bullshit put in the contracts that is hard to really enforce either way.

LegendofTrey

Oct 27, 2017
Man. I was just having this Convo with a buddy the other day.

For me, Shawn Michaels is my favorite wrestler of all time. Hands down. As a kid I loved HBK and HATED Bret Hart. I didn't get into wrestling big until Shawn was in DX and Bret was in the Hart Foundation. So, I hated the guy hating on my country, as I was told to.

Fast forward, I've gone back and watched most of Brets career and while I can say he's one of, if not the best to ever do it, Shawn is still my favorite, because to me he's more entertaining.

I respect Bret Hart, his career was incredible, ended too soon and the amount of personal tragedy he has endured in his life is heartbreaking. But Shawn's the GOAT to me. Easily.

Lunchbox-

Nov 2, 2017
bEast Coast
lol you have no clue what your talking about and it shows.
when you own a business and a disgruntled employee on a 2 weeks notice wants to make managerial decisions on the future of the business…. make sure to hand him all your keys in your bret hart pink tinted marky mark world

in the real world, you do what your job tells you to do until you leave

data west

Oct 25, 2017
Bret got better matches out of Shawn's best friends than Shawn did

Bret also protected and elevated the god damn Rock and Stone Cold Steve Austin.

Shawn tried to destroy others to bring himself up. Bret realized elevating others could elevate himself.

Nov 2, 2017
when you own a business and a disgruntled employee on a 2 weeks notice wants to make managerial decisions on the future of the business…. make sure to hand him all your keys in your bret hart pink tinted marky mark world

in the real world, you do what your job tells you to do until you leave

Because that's what happened, Bret Hart just up and gave two weeks notice out of nowhere, and not Vince McMahon was such a mess that he went to his world champion and was like "I need you to let me out of this 5 year contract I just signed with you last year".

Tawney Bomb

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
When I was a kid, Shawn Michael was my favorites and I really enjoyed his return run up through retirement. Now, the fact that he's a shithead definitely changes my opinion and I now lean more towards Bret Hart.

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile

okay-okay-how-you-know.gif

Zeliard

Jun 21, 2019
Keeping in mind I've barely watched wrestling since WCW died but was all in on the Attitude/NWO era as well as like circa 1994-1995 stuff. Memories are fleeting. We are old.

Pluses for Shawn Michaels:

1) That damn music, the entire playboy attitude. The gimmick just worked regardless of what you think about it
2) Much more of a high flyer, more versatile as far as the types of matches he'd take, and much more at least in my memory willing to take crazy bumps
3) Sweet Chin Music is the greatest and most versatile finisher ever

Pluses for Bret Hart:

1) More entertaining on the mic. Loved how he often just seemed so pissed off at everyone. Best catchphrase in the business.
2) The entire black and pink look, the shades, the entrance. There's no more iconic wrestler look outside of red and yellow Hulk Hogan.
3) Much more engaging technical wrestler on the ground (than almost anyone save for like Dean Malenko, at least to me), and Sharpshooter was superb back when he could squat down enough to make it look like it really hurt

I go with Bret because I liked him a bit more overall (he almost made me like Canada) and there are a billion stories about Michaels being a total asshole backstage that bring him down a couple notches for me. But HBK was dope as hell too during that time.

Knight613

Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
I can recall basically all of Bret's top moments whereas I only remember some of Shawn's.

Bret's entire WWF run felt like one continuous naturally evolving story.

N7_Kovalski

Oct 28, 2017
Bret is the GOAT Pro Wrestler. Shawn is the GOAT Sports Entertainer. Depends on what you value more. I lean more towards Bret.

Sanjuro

Oct 25, 2017
Massachusetts
Because that's what happened, Bret Hart just up and gave two weeks notice out of nowhere, and not Vince McMahon was such a mess that he went to his world champion and was like "I need you to let me out of this 5 year contract I just signed with you last year".
I believe it was a 20 year contract and Bret was still unhappy with the overall payouts. He also wasn't happy with the future of his character in the company.

Vince offered to still honor the contract after Hart met with WCW, but it was ultimately the creative future leading Bret to move.

Duncan

Oct 25, 2017
So Bret's before my time, and I watched Shawn's best work (2002-2007?) as I was growing up. Shawn was absolutely a tremendous performer and a generational talent within WWE. I watched all of that on real-time and enjoyed the good shit that he did.

Then the WWE Network dropped, and straight up got obsessed with Bret and Sean Waltman. X-Pac was the best worker out of the entire Attitude Era! The matches he's had age the best out of everyone.

Anyway, Bret's better.

Knight613

Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
I believe it was a 20 year contract and Bret was still unhappy with the overall payouts. He also wasn't happy with the future of his character in the company.

Vince offered to still honor the contract after Hart met with WCW, but it was ultimately the creative future leading Bret to move.
Actually Vince told Bret that he couldn't pay him his 20 year contract.

fhqwhgads

Oct 28, 2017
Immense respect for Bret for simply still being able to go on despite all the shit that happened to him in the span of a couple of years. To go through everything that happened to him and not give up on life outright is commendable. It's why I give him slack about the whole "oh all he does is complain he's so bitter" stuff, if I went through everything that Bret did, I'd be as bitter as him too.

data west

Oct 25, 2017
I was watching a Bret promo from when he first came back. Austin had been taking cheap shots at Hart the whole time, never attacking him face to face. Never on an even playing field. A John Cena promo would have called him a 'coward' and probably buried him from being from WCW and squashed him in a singles match

The best part of that promo, Bret comes out and says, 'I can't call myself the best until I beat the guy in the back who I think is the best. Steve Austin.' And even though Bret gets the best of Austin and Austin does come off as afraid of Bret in a fair fight, it doesn't matter because a veteran Bret Hart came out and called him the best.

Brinbe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terana
it's a real fucking shame that all the stuff with vince/shawn/kliq now clouds just how big of a fucking babyface star the dude was. that he was able to ably straddle that line and be an effective face/heel at the same time is a credit to him. i wish we could just acknowledge just how fucking good he was at just being the ace. he carried that damn company through the early-mid 90s.

people really don't give him the credit he deserves. because he was guy that drew the crowd, he was a fucking international star. but he was reliable in that he could truly work with anyone and build anyone up. your big mans, your technicians, your brawlers, your highflyers, faces/heels, whatever. he could work with anyone. and maybe that's the difference because i don't know if shawn was ever great at building anyone up but himself or his buddies.

bret made a lot of guys. he made shawn.

www.youtube.com

WWF/WWE Bret HitMan Hart - Entrance (RARE) !

WWF Superstars of Wrestling, later shortened to WWF Superstars, is a professional wrestling television program that was produced by the World Wrestling Feder...

it's a real shame that goldberg fucked his career because it must kill someone that loves the art so much to not be able to really participate in it, plus all the other health issues he's faced over the past few decades.

bret def deserves his flowers, haters be damned.

Last edited:

MG310

Oct 25, 2017
Bret could have a great, well thought out match with anyone

Shawn could have a great Shawn Michaels match around anyone.

Zach

Oct 25, 2017
I was watching a Bret promo from when he first came back. Austin had been taking cheap shots at Hart the whole time, never attacking him face to face. Never on an even playing field. A John Cena promo would have called him a 'coward' and probably buried him from being from WCW and squashed him in a singles match

The best part of that promo, Bret comes out and says, 'I can't call myself the best until I beat the guy in the back who I think is the best. Steve Austin.' And even though Bret gets the best of Austin and Austin does come off as afraid of Bret in a fair fight, it doesn't matter because a veteran Bret Hart came out and called him the best.
Dato, you're nothing but a dirty stinkin' hyena.

xoxo

Zach

Oct 25, 2017
P.S. Shawn Michaels is an all-time bad promo. Him with over-enthusiastic Vince McMahon... god, just kill me. Insufferable misery, fans.

Striker

Oct 25, 2017
There's a reason why The Rock always speaks so highly of Bret when given the chance.
And why The Rock never had a proper angle with Shawn.

He's a piece of shit and used the born again shtick so people think he's changed.

Bret has always told the truth. About Warrior, and I was a huge Warrior fan in the early 90s as a 7 year old, but he was right. About Triple H. About Goldberg. He admitted Shawn was a great wrestler, but knows his business side of things was always beneficial to himself, be it sandbagging or losing his smile. Knew enough to say, yeah Hogan as a performer was not good in the WWF, but his look and how Vince marketed him drew, and guys like Shawn and himself didn't as much. Had some beef with Flair and his bullshit which no one seems to do, unless it's Scott Steiner. He's another one who's right even though most of his promos look at as comedy.

PspLikeANut

Free
May 20, 2018
Bret. He took The Rock under his wing and protected from The Kliq assholes. The rest is history.

Last edited:

Chemo

Oct 28, 2017
I'm an HBK guy but Bret's the better man for sure. If it makes anyone feel better, I wish I could vote for Bret, I just can't.

MR2

Apr 14, 2022
HBK for me. I was a fan of the Rockers and the Marty Jannety betrayal rocked young me. It took awhile to forgive the man but eventually I did and cheered him on to win the Championship.

Stalker

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
HBK is the more charismatic but he used to be a bell end
Bret is dull, way more skilled and had the better gear.