• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Who is the greatest of their era?

• Bret Hart

Votes: 521 70.7%
  • Shawn Michaels

Votes: 216 29.3%

• Total voters

Temp_User

Oct 30, 2017
Bret then and still now. Shawn Hickenbottom did kinda close the gap a bit with his later work. Man i wish Bret never got that injury.

Lunchbox-

Nov 2, 2017
bEast Coast
HBK is the total package from the in ring to the mic that was the top guy for 3 decades even when he wasn't billed as the top guy

bret was just a one dimensional baby face that couldn't evolve when his character was getting stale. he was even a mark of himself who didn't want to turn heel. Also was so unprofessional that he refused to drop the title when he essentially gave his 2 weeks notice. like wtf do you expect? vince is gonna let you walk out as the champion and walk into WCW with his belt just cause you don't like shawn? what kind of child are you?

Vince was right, Bret screwed Bret.
Champion of the mega marks

Last edited:

hom3land

Oct 27, 2017
Shawn Michaels. But The Rockers were my favorite tag team back in the day so bit biased.

kris.

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
5pa780i3r3851.jpg

Bret. It's always been Bret.

Feb 7, 2022
Both have incredible bodies of work. I went with Bret because his style had a much more grounded approach that resonates with me more. It's probably why I'm so big on Danielson and Punk these days.

But I'm always up for Shawn playing pinball for someone, even if it's a bit too cartoony at times. WrestleMania 12 aside, they had great chemistry together too. The Montreal match was such a great, heated hateful brawl before the finish ruined it.

Carnby

Oct 25, 2017
Brett has his match against Austin at WM13.

But Shawn had his Hell in a Cell match against Taker.

Both incredible matches.

DyByHands

Jul 16, 2018
Uhh, Bret the hitman hart always. shawn was a great entertainer for sure. But he always bothered me with the ric flair style over selling of moves. And the sweet chin music is lame. We dont need the rev up lol. To where as brets sharpshooter is great.

KillingJoke

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
HBK is the total package from the in ring to the mic that was the top guy for 3 decades even when he wasn't billed as the top guy

bret was just a one dimensional baby face that couldn't evolve when his character was getting stale. he was even a mark of himself who didn't want to turn heel. Also was so unprofessional that he refused to drop the title when he essentially gave his 2 weeks notice. like wtf do you expect? vince is gonna let you walk out as the champion and walk into WCW with his belt just cause you don't like shawn? what kind of child are you?

Vince was right, Bret screwed Bret.
Champion of the mega marks

Hard disagree. The Hart Foundation was the hottest heel group. This is also when Brets mic skills developed big time. Easily the top heel in 97 imo.

And he had legit beef with Shawn. Bret had creative control in his contract so it doesn't mean jack shit what Vince wanted. Vince literally could have picked anyone to drop the belt to and Bret would have done the job.

With that said, this is Jordan/Lebron comparison.

Bret is my Jordan. The GOAT in the 90's. HBK has the longer lengthy career. One of the GOAT but the GOAT.

Beef Supreme

Oct 25, 2017
Depends. Shawn was a better entertainer and Bret was the better worker. I know I remember many more matches that Shawn was in than Bret. Not because Bret didn't put on better matches, but because Shawn just sold his that much better.

Strax

Oct 28, 2017
I always go back to Shawn couldn't do what Bret did but Bret could do what Shawn did.

Nov 2, 2017
shawn couldn't do what? be loyal? or atleast be professional enough to drop the belt before leaving?

I don't think you want to bring up being "professional enough to drop the belt before leaving" when, in the 90s, Shawn sure couldn't be professional enough to drop the belt before leaving on multiple occasions. Enough so that that was literally part of the HBK/Hart onscreen feud.

Brinbe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terana
having been that rabid 11-year-old canadian wrasslin fan in 97 automatically dictates that it be bret. it's a mark-ass answer, but ain't no other way.

markiness aside, i appreciate that shawn was a phenomenal wrassler and not exactly a perfect human being. but same with bret in other ways. maybe that matters? everyone is different in that regard.

they were/are two legends put squarely on their ability to perform in the ring, be mega-stars in their own right, and clearly influencing an entire generation of wrasslers (for better or worse is up to you lol). They are deserving of all the praise in that respect.

and vince is lucky as fuck to have had both of them help bridge that gap from hogan to rock/austin

that he doubled down on being a mark for hosses despite these 'smaller guys' totally saving his ass is really quite something if you think about it.

Last edited:

BasilZero

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Omni
I don't know either background history or their real life personas and don't really care about that aspect it but entertainment wise my vote goes to HBK

Lunchbox-

Nov 2, 2017
bEast Coast
I don't think you want to bring up being "professional enough to drop the belt before leaving" when, in the 90s, Shawn sure couldn't be professional enough to drop the belt before leaving on multiple occasions. Enough so that that was literally part of the HBK/Hart onscreen feud.
shawn wasn't trying to take the belt to another company. If Bret was taking a break then that would've been different, they would've just vacated the title on raw and move on

but how can you expect vince to let your champion pin your next top guy clean then walk into wcw? vince is an asshole but he did what he had to do

El Toporo

Oct 25, 2017
There's only one who's the the best there is, the best there was and the best there ever will be and it ain't Shawn Michaels.

Couleurs

Oct 25, 2017
Denver, CO
Both are in my top 3 favorites (in no particular order, Austin/HBK/Bret). IMO Bret's psychology was better, but HBK was better in every other way. Bret was pretty damn cool though.

Last edited:

AfterZero

Oct 27, 2017
Bret. I wish I could say it was close, but it really isn't for me.

Bret Hart's in-ring work was just pristine and he carried the post-Hogan WWF on his back in ways that I don't think HBK ever did... or could, for that matter.

No question HBK was more 'entertaining,' but I think there were a few years where he got a little too lost in the sauce, as it were. His ego spilled out of the locker room and into the ring/booking in some pretty disappointing ways, and I think it worked against him in a lot of feuds and matches throughout a large chunk of his career.

kidtamagotchi

Oct 27, 2017
shawn wasn't trying to take the belt to another company. If Bret was taking a break then that would've been different, they would've just vacated the title on raw and move on

but how can you expect vince to let your champion pin your next top guy clean then walk into wcw? vince is an asshole but he did what he had to do

Bret Hart was not trying to take the WWF title to WCW. Bret did not want to lose to Shawn Michaels in Montreal after Shawn said that he wouldn't do the favor for Bret. Bret was willing to lose the title to anyone BUT Shawn at Montreal. Bret even said he was willing to lose the title the next night on Raw. Vince McMahon had his hard-on for Shawn, so the screw job happened.

Anyways, Bret Hart is the best there is, the best there was, and the best there ever will be. Everything made sense with him.

(Plus Shawn Michaels' idiotic overselling always took me out of his matches)

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Bret was a really good technical wrestler but the industry is so much more than that. Shawn had the technical skill the charisma and the insane adaptability to be the best.

The fact that he came back from a near career ending injury in 2002 hadn't been in the ring for years and then proceeded to have a better run in the twilight of his career than in his early days is insane.

Nov 2, 2017

That was not the plan. In the original plan, Bret wasn't going to show up in WCW for another month after that match, more than enough time for Bret to drop the title to literally anyone other than Shawn on the way out the door, or even to drop the belt to Shawn but not in Montreal.

Bret only showed up in WCW the next night because of the Screwjob.

Lothar

Oct 25, 2017
Shawn easy

Shawn's promo in Montreal

Match quality, they were very close but I'd still take Shawn. But with entertaining promos and character, it's not close

Vilam

Oct 27, 2017
Never really cared for either if I'm being honest. Shawn's over the hill goofy rocker persona always came across as exceedingly lame. On the other hand, Bret's stick up the ass super serious attitude sucked the fun out of anything he was ever involved in. End of the day... I guess Bret was the more tolerable of the two?