• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Who is the greatest of their era?

• Bret Hart

Votes: 521 70.7%
  • Shawn Michaels

Votes: 216 29.3%

• Total voters
Jan 27, 2019
Fuck off
Undoubtedly these are the best of their era, both are incredible wrestlers. They are both in the top 10 of the all time greats in wrestling history.

For me it's Bret, he made everything he did look real which was only backed by his training in the legendary dungeon, he worked safe but he knew exactly how far to go to make you buy in to his offence 100%, his psychology was impeccable, when Bret works a specfic body part in a match their was always a clear reason for it.

Also his final run in WWF had some if the best promo work of his careeer, even though he was in a weird position if being heel in the US but stilll a beloved babyface everywhere else.

Brets matches with Curt Hennig we're always a joy to watch, he also went the extra mile in carrying British Bulldog to the match of his life, and the legendary WM13 submission match and double turn made Austin in to a huge star.

I also have love for Shawn Michaels, he could gave a great match with anyome and amazing his 2002 to 2011 is actually better than his original mid-90's peak. But he was a massive primadonna, who politicked his way through the top ranks and was by most accounts a major asshole. He also collaborated with the infamous Montreal Screwjob, and refused to put Bret over.

Though thankfully he did chill out during his years away and came back a much better person for it.

In conclusion I love both, but it's always going to be Bret for me.

Last edited:

ClassAndFear

Oct 30, 2017
It's Bret, and I think it's legit hard to argue otherwise. Not just the quality of in-ring work, but the quality of their humanity.

natjjohn

Oct 25, 2017
HBK would seem to be the obvious answer, but looking like I'm in the minority early on. Really surprised as expected an HBK route. Just far more entertaining to me in and out of the ring.

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
Bret Hart best wrestler.
Shawn Michaels best sports entertainer.

This.

They are two performers that are one if not the best at what they do, but they're two different branches of the business. That's why they worked so well together despite hating each other (and why they hated each other).

I always liked Shawn more as a performer, but Bret is a much better human beign. And Bret is a better overall wrestler. So Bret inches out, despite having been an HBK mark for lots of years.

Dec 2, 2020
No one in history could match Shawn on his day in terms of in ring work but Bret was always a personal favourite. I especially liked his anti America run.

Oct 27, 2017
Look, I will happily tell you that Bret is the best ever. But if you're asking who my favourite of the two is.... then I'll go with HBK.

I want to say Bret. I know Bret is the right answer. But it's HBK and has been since I was a kid.

stn

Oct 28, 2017
Bret. Was always a huge fan - especially he became a heel in 'Murica. He was instrumental in creating the Attitude Era, which was some of the most entertaining and best wrasslin' ever.

Burly

Oct 25, 2017
Bret stinks, and is one of the most uncharasmatic and boring "top" wrestlers ever.

So by default Shawn wins.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
I feel like HBK's best work came in the 00's so it's hard to compare. During the 90's though Brett > Shawn

Bakercat

Oct 27, 2017
'merica
I love shawn's gimmick in the 90's, but him being such a massive prick in shoot really makes me hate him as a person. I feel like I could still sit down and have a fun chat with Bret and learn alot, even if he is having a moan about everything.

AMAGON

Prominent Member
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
The older I get, the more I appreciate Bret as I wasn't too big of a fan his back in the day. Didn't care for Michaels personally.

ClassAndFear

Oct 30, 2017
In Bret's autobiography he talks about the many times he cheated on his wife while on the road.
Oh, he's done bad stuff as well. I think it really comes down to: do I believe you would save me from wreckage if my death meant you would get somehow ahead. And Bret would, but Shawn would let me die and then publicly pray for my soul afterwards.

Flex1212

Jul 12, 2019
I was always a big Brett hart and the Heart Foundation fan. Shawn Michaels while I respected just didn't do much for me for whatever reason.

JohnsonUT

Oct 27, 2017
The signature D-X slogan originated on the October 6, 1997 episode of Raw Is War, with Shawn Michaels stating, "I've got two words for 'The Hitman' Bret Hart: suck it!", before doing a one-armed crotch-chop (while holding the microphone with his other hand). Later in the episode, both Michaels and Triple H (separately) proceeded to the ring for the Bret Hart-Triple H match, each of them directing the slogan and crotch-chops at fans seated along the entry ramp.

It's Shawn Michaels for his persona, charisma, and showmanship.

Personal anecdote: Some of my teammates got in trouble for doing a "suck it" at a pep rally. They sure as heck weren't doing anything related to Bret Hart.

dennett316

Nov 2, 2017
Blackpool, UK
Probably Shawn. Bret is damn good, great technical wrestler, great psychology. He lacks a little bit of the spark that Shawn has, seems a bit more...efficient. Shawn could play funny and serious effortlessly, could display emotion in a way that I think was better than Bret, and I think was the better overall entertainer.

Tigress

Oct 25, 2017
Washington
When I was a wrestling fan I was a big Shawn Michaels fan. But honestly everything I've heard about both SM sounds like he's kinda scummy IRL while Bret Hart seem much more like a true good guy IRL.

jerf

Nov 1, 2017
Shawn doesn't even deserve to be mentioned in the same breath as Brett. Massively overrated and a huge piece of shit to boot.

joe1138

Oct 28, 2017
As a kid, Bret was my guy.

As an adult, Bret is still my guy.

I was able to watch him wrestle Owen during Bret's second run as champion at a house show. Still remember that match fondly. Bret's match with Bulldog at SummerSlam '92 might be my favorite of all time. The build up, the tension, the grandeur of their entrances into the ring at Wembley and the match itself... *chef's kiss*

...and let's not forget Bret vs Austin at WM13.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
Bret is a bitter old piece of shit, so who gives a fuck?

Yeah that happens when your family is tragedy after tragedy and Goldberg carelessly kicks you in the head and you end up having a stroke a few years later

You know who he is not bitter towards? His fans. Met him twice over a decade apart he was incredibly generous with his time both.

HarryDemeanor

Oct 25, 2017
I voted for Bret as he is the best wrestler between the two, but I always loved Shawn as a kid just because of the imitation factor. Doing the flex pose or DX crotch chops made for some entertaining times.

Deleted member 27921

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Only one of these dudes is commonly known as "The best there is, the best there was, and the best there ever will be," so this seems like a no-brainer.

And neon pink & black is just such a good color scheme.

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017
Was always more of an HBK fan than Bret. As much as HBK acted like a primadonna it was always on his sleeve instead of being a behind-the-scenes dickhead that Hart always seemed to be. Technical ring prowess I would go to Hart, for sure, but he had the benefit of his family, which is usually (I say usually for a specific exception to this currently being in WWE) a good way to turn out someone who is incredibly proficient in the ring. And this isn't to say HBK isn't, because he most certainly is. I enjoyed watching HBK for the same reasons I enjoyed Razor and Diesel and The Rock back with the NOD: they were more entertaining characters and put on a better show.

The whole Montreal Screwjob thing is always funny as hell, to me, because people take such sides on it but even after numerous documentaries, specials, interviews and the like we still don't know the whole truth and can only really end up piecing it together based on who said what. HBK and Hart finally burying the hatchet on it (supposedly...) is great. To this day I still think it was a super, duper elaborate work to allow Hart a clean break from WWF (as Vince had suggested he do after all) and make it a match for the All time books, which it most certainly did.

Jacknapes

Oct 26, 2017
Newport, South Wales
Bret, and it's not close. 2 of my favourite matches of all time are Bret vs Bulldog at SummerSlam 92 and Austin vs Bret at Mania 13 (the double face-heel turn). Loved his anti-America stuff before the Montreal incident, does make me think what if Bret didn't go to WCW. Not only would we have still had him wrestle (we'd not have had Goldberg end his career for start). But, he'd probably been around for a few more years until early 2000's before hanging up the boots.

HBK back in the 90's was ego centric. However, he was a good performer in-ring.

BFIB

Oct 25, 2017
Its Bret. Here's an example: When Bret was taking time off after WM12, he was watching Austin's work, and hand picked him as his opponent, and made him arguably the biggest star ever. HBK would have never done that, because all HBK cares about is elevating his own status. Undertaker even sat at Gorilla at WM14 to intimidate HBK to do the right thing and put Austin over.

Bret managed to make incredible matches with Diesel. When HBK and Diesel had their match, HBK sandbagged a lot of the match, and purposely made Diesel's powerbomb look like shit, and they were best friends.

Stone Cold

Oct 27, 2017
Bret, and it's not close. 2 of my favourite matches of all time are Bret vs Bulldog at SummerSlam 92 and Austin vs Bret at Mania 13 (the double face-heel turn). Loved his anti-America stuff before the Montreal incident, does make me think what if Bret didn't go to WCW. Not only would we have still had him wrestle (we'd not have had Goldberg end his career for start). But, he'd probably been around for a few more years until early 2000's before hanging up the boots.

HBK back in the 90's was ego centric. However, he was a good performer in-ring.
His match with Owen was top-notch too