• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
Apologies for this being ~2 months old, but I didn't see a thread and this deserves more noise.

X62OX5LY6JAJ5NUJHVSZPQFWUM.jpg

On March 13, Breonna Taylor was murdered in her home by three officers from the Louisville Metro Police Dept.

The woman, 26-year-old Breonna Taylor, was a certified EMT working at two local hospitals.

Sgt. Jon Mattingly and detectives Brent Hankinson and Myles Cosgrove initiated a no-knock raid at Taylor's home in the middle of the night. They chose not to wear body cameras, and neighbors report that they did not announce themselves as police. They simply battered down the front door with a battering ram.

Police have said there is no body camera footage of the shooting because the officers involved were members of the department's Criminal Interdiction division, who do not wear body cameras.

A woman who lives next door said she woke up to the sound of gunshots and Walker yelling for help, according to an affidavit filed in court records. The woman said she never heard police announce themselves.

"All she heard was a ram (breaking through the door) and gunfire," the unidentified neighbor said.

Taylor's SO, Kenneth Walker, woke to the sound of three men breaking through their front door, so he opened fire, hitting Mattingly in the leg. The three officers then returned fire, unleashing 22 rounds into the apartment. Eight of those shots hit Taylor, killing her. At that point, the police finally announced themselves and Walker came out. He was arrested for attempted murder of a police officer.

Defense attorney Rob Eggert said police burst in Taylor's home without announcing their presence and fired at least 22 times, with bullets going into neighboring apartments, and "it was incredible that Mrs. Taylor was the only one killed."

"Had Breonna Taylor been killed by anyone except police, the person or persons responsible for her death would have been charged with a homicide," Eggert said in a court document, also alleging Walker is a "victim of police misconduct."

Eggert acknowledges that Walker fired a shot, hitting Sgt. Mattingly in the leg, but claims Walker did not know he was shooting at police, according to a motion filed in court.

Police then returned fire, killing Taylor, Eggert wrote.

Oh, one other thing. The raid was at the wrong address. Police were looking for someone else (who had already been picked up earlier in the day) at a different address. Neither Taylor or Walker had done anything illegal, nor were they suspected of doing anything illegal.

An attorney representing the family, Sam Aguiar, said police were actually looking for someone else and other officers had picked the suspect up at his home in a separate raid shortly before the shooting.

Walker's initial bail was set at $250,000, but was reduced to home confinement by a judge. The president of the local Fraternal Order of Police chapter flipped out, demanding that a man who was merely defending his own home, be locked up immediately. The LMPD Police Chief was also not happy.

The move prompted outrage from the police union.

"Not only is he a threat to the men and women of law enforcement, but he also poses a significant danger to the community we protect!" River City FOP president Ryan Nichols wrote in a Facebook Post Friday. "Home incarceration was not designed for the most violent offenders!" "I call on the public to condemn the actions of Judge Olu Stevens."

In an email, Chief Steve Conrad said he could not talk about the "incident that resulted in Ms. Taylor's death" because there is a pending Public Integrity investigation.

But he also criticized the release of Walker:

"I certainly understand the need to make sure we are releasing those people who don't pose a risk to our community from the jail, especially as we face the outbreak of COVID-19. However, it's hard for me to see how a man accused of shooting a police officer falls into that low-risk category and I am very frustrated by Mr. Walker's release to home incarceration.

Finally, is it any surprise that the LMPD would close ranks around their officers? After all, it does display the "thin blue line" version of the US flag on its official social media page which represents protecting officers above all else, even the law.

Source:
www.wdrb.com

Attorneys claim LMPD officers killed 26-year-old EMT in 'botched' police raid

"Had Breonna Taylor been killed by anyone except police, the person or persons responsible for her death would have been charged with a homicide," defense attorney Rob Eggert said in

Additional sources:
www.wave3.com

Coroner identifies woman shot and killed in officer-involved shooting

The Jefferson County Coroner’s Office revealed the identity Sunday evening of the woman shot and killed inside a home on Springfield Drive in the middle of an officer-involved shooting.
www.theroot.com

Black Woman Shot to Death by Cops, Cops Outraged That Second Suspect Was Released From Jail

On March 13 in Louisville, Ky., 26-year-old Breonna Taylor was shot to death in what appeared to be a botched police raid as officers from the Louisville Metro Police Department attempted to execute a search warrant at the home of a suspected drug dealer.

Log into Facebook to start sharing and connecting with your friends, family, and people you know.

LMPD (@LMPD) | Twitter

The latest Tweets from LMPD (@LMPD). Official Twitter of Louisville Metro Police Dept. Account not monitored 24/7. Call 911 for emergency or 502-574-7111 for non-emergency. CRIME TIPS? 574-LMPD. Louisville, Kentucky

Last edited:

Mollymauk

Oct 27, 2017
Strangers break into you home and you return fire: not self-defense
Chasing down a person of color and murdering them: self-defense

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017
"Not only is he a threat to the men and women of law enforcement, but he also poses a significant danger to the community we protect!" River City FOP president Ryan Nichols wrote in a Facebook Post Friday. "Home incarceration was not designed for the most violent offenders!" "I call on the public to condemn the actions of Judge Olu Stevens."

So these assholes "protect" the community by initiating no-knock raids at the wrong address and killing innocent people? Incredible. "Most violent offenders"? Fucking trash institution.

NutterB

Oct 27, 2017
Will we ever get a leader willing to abolish the current racist police system and actually reform it, I certainly hope so.

captive

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
wait a minute.

so the police union is outraged that the person who shot at police, when he didnt know they were police, is on home confinement. And they're not outraged at themselves because they killed an upstanding citizen in a no knock raid when the person they were looking for didn't live at that address AND were already picked up earlier in the day?

what in the flying fuck.

DavidDesu

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Glasgow, Scotland
Being a white cop in America is basically a licence to commit murder (of non whites). The whole "own a gun to protect yourself" only applies if white also, if black it's a further excuse for whites to kill you. It truly is disgusting. God knows where the country will end up.

lostconst

Oct 27, 2017
Wonder if all the 2nd amendment defenders would like to speak up about someone using a gun to protect their families and government corruption, and being killed for it. Here you go, a perfect case. Oh what's that, none of them want to acknowledge it?

OP
OP
Syriel

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
wait a minute.

so the police union is outraged that the person who shot at police, when he didnt know they were police, is on home confinement. And they're not outraged at themselves because they killed an upstanding citizen in a no knock raid when the person they were looking for didn't live at that address AND were already picked up earlier in the day?

what in the flying fuck.

You have accurately described the situation. Forgot the "we don't wear body cameras" bit in your summary though.

From the union PoV, you can't complain about police tactics if there is no video record! galaxybrain.gif

bwahhhhh

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
A home invasion is like THE #1 REASON gun advocates argue they need guns. This guy legitimately went through that, they killed his girlfriend, and now he's being punished.

of course the home invaders were cops, and the victims black, so none of that "home invasion" stuff applies

Raiden

Nov 6, 2017
The fact that I some random EU guy far away my first thing that came to mind was 'I bet the victims are black people' and to see it confirmed... Man.. when will this violence stop?

asmith906

Oct 27, 2017
I remember when the police broke into the wrong person's house and threw a flashbang grenade into an infant's crib.

EdibleKnife

Oct 29, 2017
wait a minute.

what in the flying fuck.
The only people they want to protect and serve is themselves. All citizens (particularly black and brown ones) are "the enemy" no matter the circumstances.

And here's another example as to why "good cops" rhetoric is bs. It shouldn't be on the citizenry to point out how heinous this is. There should already be a contingent of "good cops" pushing back against this and who should be livid at this sloppy police work that resulted in a fatality of the people they supposedly took an oath to protect. "Good" police should be calling for the badges of the fools who blundered this much but across the nation we get silence and instead it's the people in the community, those who could just as easily be in this situation where they end up dead due to the ineptitude of law enforcement, who are the loudest voices calling for simple justice and wanting the institution to be accountable and act in a way that actually matches the power police are given in society rather than playing cops and robbers on the level of kindergartners and getting angry at the victims who deal with the fallout.

Why are no-knock raids even a thing?
The explanation you might get is that it keeps officers safe from being shot at the door or takes away the time a criminal would have to escape. But to me, it's just another part of police militarization and fetishization of violence that seems to be engraved in too many modern police giving them the opportunity to play with their toys without consequence. With no-knocks it's literally shoot first ask questions later.

Deleted member 43

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Walker was, thankfully, NOT charged with Taylor's death as the title says (unless I'm missing something...) He was charged with shooting at the cops, which is still, of course, an absolute joke.

smurfx

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
guess black people can't defend themselves when people break into their homes. what fucking bullshit and you know the gun toting idiots would be outraged if this happened to a white guy.

OP
OP
Syriel

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
Walker was, thankfully, NOT charged with Taylor's death as the title says (unless I'm missing something...) He was charged with shooting at the cops, which is still, of course, an absolute joke.

I thought he was charged with murder and attempted murder, but I could have misread as I couldn't find the original court docs.

HamSandwich

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
guess black people can't defend themselves when people break into their homes. what fucking bullshit and you know the gun toting idiots would be outraged if this happened to a white guy.

Guy would get a hefty GoFundMe and a bend over backwards apology from the police.

Also, wtf is the point of body cams if not everyone is allowed to wear one?

Solarc

Sep 24, 2018
Dominican Republic
Man, it's been a while since a news article made me feel this fucking angry, I had to pause and stop reading for a bit when I read they announced themselves after firing 22 rounds AND it turns out they raided the wrong fucking place... This was such an avoidable outcome yet here we are, just like how it happened with the jogger and many more cases.

RIP to the victim and hope everything turns out well for her SO.

skillzilla81

Self-requested temporary ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm just waiting for a response from all of these good cops people keep telling me exist.

Any day now, I'll hear something, right?

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
I'm just waiting for a response from all of these good cops people keep telling me exist.

Any day now, I'll hear something, right?

It's always someone's uncle's cousin twice removed's dog who is a cop so they have to defend all cops. Imagine spending energy on the internet defending people who get off on raiding, arresting, and killing poor, black and brown people.

The system is working as intended.

Juryvicious

Oct 28, 2017
I really, REALLY hate these stories. What a disgusting, sickening thing to have happened, and the fucking GALL, the outright NERVE of the police and its union, their response is maddening! Just a giant WTF.

GMM

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Obviously the police should be outraged that an innocent man that opened fire on them in self defense in a no-knock raid that killed his SO at a wrong address for a suspect they had already arrested is not currently in jail, won't someone think of the safety of the public!

It's fucking infuriating and nothing will ever change.

TheCthultist

Oct 27, 2017
New York
Wonder if all the 2nd amendment defenders would like to speak up about someone using a gun to protect their families and government corruption, and being killed for it. Here you go, a perfect case. Oh what's that, none of them want to acknowledge it?
Yup, a more perfect example for them could not exist... and yet I doubt any of them will ever even mention it.

vodalus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
CT
Very informative post, OP, thank you.

Pretty disgusting, doesn't seem like that guy is guilty of anything.

EdibleKnife

Oct 29, 2017
Yup, a more perfect example for them could not exist... and yet I doubt any of them will ever even mention it.
I mean the previous perfect example was Philando Castile. He even literally told his killer that he had his gun and wasn't going to use it and it meant nothing in the end and he was shot in front of his daughter and girlfriend. Then there was Atatiana Jefferson who was in her own home with her nephew and had every right to use a gun when officers slunk around the outside of her house (funnily enough another incident where police killed a citizen because they saw it prudent to not announce themselves) yet she was still obliterated due to ineptitude on the side of police. There are several ur-examples of overreach from law enforcement against a citizen safely exercising their gun rights but they've faded from the conversation for everyone including the NRA but save for minorities who advocate for black lives and an end to police brutality.

Last edited: