• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Kwigo

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Oh god I hope that Death Stranding spoiler is true, that would be the worst plot twist ever lmao

Deleted member 60582

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 12, 2019
latest

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
The big twist in death stranding is that[/spoiler] it's actually a prequel to Horizon Zero Dawn. The deliveries we make in the game are materials to build the robots that you fight in HZD.[soiler]

**THIS IS NOT TRUE**

Did Death Stranding just get spoiled for me by botched spoiler brackets ]:

Don't worry, their poor sense of humor did not spoil anything for you and what they said is not true.

XR.

Nov 22, 2018
It's not necessarily breathtaking and I haven't taken any specific shots of them as of yet, but I really appreciate the enormous ships that are just floating in the sky in all the Halo games. I will make sure to take some screens later, but this shot from Halo Reach will have to do right now:

976730_1njk6f.png

Last edited:
OP
OP

Deleted member 17402

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Xenoblade Chronicles takes place in a world where the landmasses are the bodies of 2 continent sized titans that have been frozen in place since they landed fatal blows on one another millennia ago. What you are seeing is the Mechonis, the titan that is home to mechanical based life forms, from the perspective of the knee of the Bionis, home to organic based life forms. The thing overhead the characters is a massive sword that is still in the hand of the Mechonis and embedded in the Bionis, creating a bridge between the two.
Thank you for the explanation. That sounds so cool.

Prof Bathtub

Apr 26, 2018
The Groznyj Grad overlook in MGS3 was impressive at the time. I still think it still works as a calm overview before getting into the thick of the base.
1a2hnjzl1nb21.png

Spacejaws

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
I can't find a proper gif of it but the sort of opening of FFVIII where you are walking through the Garden and it pulls out and shows you this large wierd mechanical structure was always a cool sequence to me that shows the scale of the Garden.

Made one!

Last edited:

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
This particular scene of reach getting glassed is the most memorable skybox in any game till date for me, and it's animated. Still holds up in detail after 10 years despite blowing it up to high resolution. There's also a ton of it in that ship level where you dog fight over the planet.

dEIMwT9.jpg

g9Igzcu.jpg

DarthBuzzard

Banned
Jul 17, 2018
VR basically ruins any of these moments for me now. Nothing on a screen is satisfying or that breathtaking to look at for me. Therefore I'd go with just about all the big vistas in Asgard's Wrath.

I've also seen lots of ported stuff over in VRChat. Breakpoint from Halo Reach, Twilight Town from Kingdom Hearts 3, and all kinds of awesome Xenoblade 2 maps.

Metro Exodus in VR was also the most surreal photorealism moment I've had; everything looks as real as anything a game has done to date. I played it on a screen and was actually underwhelmed by it's graphical prowess; everything is muddy and unclear, whereas things were easy to see in VR.

Last edited:

Cloud-Hidden

Oct 30, 2017
This is THE moment right here. It took my breath away. I had a review copy of the game at the time so it was doubly beautiful and lonely because I really couldn't talk to anyone about it.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
All the stacked and layered architecture in From Software games.
Visual elements that can be directly compared to the size of an average human are often used to show scale.

BOTW opening lacked that contrast as well as looked really held back by its hardware.

Death Stranding does it quite well with its man made structures dotting the massive landscape.

Last edited:

Deleted member 34788

Banned
Nov 29, 2017
DS has so so so many of these, shame it doesn't have a photo mode.
The scale is breaktaking at times and doing what you do in the shadow of a mountain makes for some simply remarkable moments.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
lol.

I was expecting to see Death Stranding get mentioned. I connected someone to the network and this is the first thing I saw when I turned around.

....scared the shit out of me.....

I need to take some screenshots soon..

Last edited:

Son of Sparda

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
The big twist in death stranding is that[/spoiler] it's actually a prequel to Horizon Zero Dawn. The deliveries we make in the game are materials to build the robots that you fight in HZD.[soiler]
This is a 10/10 troll job man, nice touch with the "broken" spoiler tag lmao

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Shit now I feel bad for asking for context. My bad!

Not your fault. Of all of the screenshots of Death Stranding they could have posted, they had to post one with a pretty cool easter egg that I personally would have loved to have been surprised by in the game (I haven't picked it up yet; budget reasons, but was planning to next week on payday!). I'm generally not overly sensitive to spoilers, but I admit that it's nice to go into something blind, and I was doing pretty good at avoiding anything DS related since it's initial announcement trailer. As a huge Horizon Zero Dawn fan, I would have lost my shit seeing that pop up in DS. It's not a big deal, just a little disappointing that I missed out on a fun surprise. Same thing happened with the Mandelorian (another show I purposely tried to go in blind on) thanks to people posting gifs and memes the day after the episode aired, and I hadn't gotten a chance to watch the episode day one. lol. It didn't come close to ruining anything for me, but I imagine people being able to experience those types of moments fresh and unexpected were like, "Holy shit, that's great!"

But yeah, I played about two hours of DS at my friend's house last week, and it's vistas are gorgeous. I'd put DS, Horizon Zero Dawn, RDR2, Days Gone, and AC: Odyssey on my list of games with breathtaking vistas.

Horizon:
67a978e6f3144804d6a9f924ace3f645.png

bl3mar5g9y411.jpg

Mar 29, 2018
VR basically ruins any of these moments for me now. Nothing on a screen is satisfying or that breathtaking to look at for me. Therefore I'd go with just about all the big vistas in Asgard's Wrath.

I've also seen lots of ported stuff over in VRChat. Breakpoint from Halo Reach, Twilight Town from Kingdom Hearts 3, and all kinds of awesome Xenoblade 2 maps.

Metro Exodus in VR was also the most surreal photorealism moment I've had; everything looks as real as anything a game has done to date. I played it on a screen and was actually underwhelmed by it's graphical prowess; everything is muddy and unclear, whereas things were easy to see in VR.
Shit, how's performance for Metrodus on VR?

Incredible game and I had no idea it had a VR feature

DarthBuzzard

Banned
Jul 17, 2018
Shit, how's performance for Metrodus on VR?

Incredible game and I had no idea it had a VR feature
I should probably have said it wasn't actual gameplay, it was Nvidia Ansel 360 VR screenshots. You can take them at any time during gameplay and view them in true stereoscopic 3D VR. The desert area in particular is insane, as are the mutants. It gives you a real taste of what VR graphics will look like in the next few years.

TheGreatLugia

Oct 25, 2017
Yep basically all the Xenoblade games.
The main team that made XCX was working on Breath of the Wild while a smaller team made Xenoblade 2. It really shows.
The thing you're referring to keeps getting kinda misconstrued. It's not a situation where there's a Xenoblade X team that went to Breath of the Wild and another team that made Xenoblade 2.

Pretty much the entirety of Monolith Tokyo at the time made Xenoblade X. After Xenoblade X was finished, about half of the Xenoblade X staff moved to Breath of the Wild, and about the other half moved to Xenoblade 2. Going by the credits, most of the key staff in Xenoblade X worked on Xenoblade 2. In addition, a decent number of staff worked on both Breath of the Wild and Xenoblade 2 to varying capacities (some of these staff had larger roles in Breath of the Wild and some had larger roles in Xenoblade 2).

What you're calling the Xenoblade X team might not exist anymore as a single production division.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
I'm guessing that's a spoiler... fuuuuuuuck my fault for entering this thread, I should have known... I though I might glance at a God of War pic then run off before I could make out the whole pic.

But this one. I had no chance. Fuck me I deserve it.

lol, its not. Its an easter egg that has no real meaning. Can't even tell if these are serious responses any more.

Deleted member 60582

Banned
Oct 12, 2019
I'm guessing that's a spoiler... fuuuuuuuck my fault for entering this thread, I should have known... I thought I might glance at a God of War pic then run off before I could make out the whole pic.

But this one. I had no chance. Fuck me I deserve it.

It's not at all, it's just a hologram Easter egg someone can attach to a structure they've built. There's an Aloy one too.

xerzewatt

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I managed to overlook the Liberty Prime in Fallout 3 which is a massive robot mostly because the plot was breathtakingly stupid.

Pau

Self-Appointed Godmother of Bruce Wayne's Children
Oct 25, 2017
Nothing will beat RDR2 until next-gen in my opinion.
I love the landscapes, but I could not stand the story of the first Red Dead Redemption. How much of the story do I have to play to unlock all the areas and just go hunting and riding my horse?

Nov 17, 2017
Yep basically all the Xenoblade games.

The thing you're referring to keeps getting kinda misconstrued. It's not a situation where there's a Xenoblade X team that went to Breath of the Wild and another team that made Xenoblade 2.

Pretty much the entirety of Monolith Tokyo at the time made Xenoblade X. After Xenoblade X was finished, about half of the Xenoblade X staff moved to Breath of the Wild, and about the other half moved to Xenoblade 2. Going by the credits, most of the key staff in Xenoblade X worked on Xenoblade 2. In addition, a decent number of staff worked on both Breath of the Wild and Xenoblade 2 to varying capacities (some of these staff had larger roles in Breath of the Wild and some had larger roles in Xenoblade 2).

What you're calling the Xenoblade X team might not exist anymore as a single production division.
Though the people who went to work on Zelda did a lot of work on the level design and exploration right? My main point is that a lot of the level and world design of Xenoblade X is just missing from 2 due to that. Even if it's not a A Team/B Team type thing, they still split in half and looking at X, BotW and 2, it looks like it had an effect to me.

Jan 11, 2018
God of War Ascension, pretty much the whole game. But in particular Hechatoncheires, and nearly the entire second half of the game with the statue of Apollo.