• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

OgTheEnigma

Oct 27, 2017
Liverpool
How does Dreams create reflections like seen here? https://youtu.be/sZPORSwWgFM?t=36
That doesn't seem to be screen space.
That's done buy creating a duplicate mirrored model under the surface. Cloning items is very low cost in Dreams; this method would have no cost for the graphics thermometer, and the gameplay thermometer cost would only be an issue if the individual sculpture / object number approaches the thousands.

Real reflections are not supported by Dreams' engine currently.

Dec 12, 2019
The truth is this stuff from BadRobo82 looks unreal in small twitter video, but in reality can be quite dissapointing due to specific of Dreams engine. I mean if looks ultra stunning graphic with high quality textures etc. you can easily find better games then Dreams itself.

Still "Taken by the Rust" part 1 and 2 from this creator is superb in terms of esthetically and artistic touch. BadRobo82 is just know what to do and seems like he have good known of limitation of Dreams. I really cant wait for part 3 of his game.

panda-zebra

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
I feel exactly the same. The motion blur is WAY too strong too. And I think you can disable it, no idea why people keep it.
As Lord Error said, it's a high FoV such as in this video that creates what some find to be an uneasy bending effect.

Motion blur is configurable, it's not binary on or off, there's a scale from 0-100. The default is set pretty high and apparently not many people lower it.

Modest_Modsoul

Living the Dreams
Oct 29, 2017
Why do these Dreams clips get posted in shitty low-res Twitter links all the time?
My question as well.
I could say the same for game trailers. Youtube links or bust.
#MadeInDreams more/less up-to-date exposure to their creations.

Advisedly, if anyone want to promote their Dreams work, is there too, besides they could also via YouTube.

shoemasta

The Wise Ones
Oct 28, 2017
I can't even properly shape a tree much less do entire scenes like these. Pretty insane

Spring-Loaded

Oct 27, 2017
Are these publicly available to play? Last I checked, this person only had a few basic things online and I want to see these first hand

Afrikan

Oct 28, 2017
The truth is this stuff from BadRobo82 looks unreal in small twitter video, but in reality can be quite dissapointing due to specific of Dreams engine. I mean if looks ultra stunning graphic with high quality textures etc. you can easily find better games then Dreams itself.

Still "Taken by the Rust" part 1 and 2 from this creator is superb in terms of esthetically and artistic touch. BadRobo82 is just know what to do and seems like he have good known of limitation of Dreams. I really cant wait for part 3 of his game.

I know this is an older post.....but the creator, I believe, only has a regular PS4....and you can only record in 720p. Hence why all his Dream clips are 720p. Someone volunteered to help him get higher quality version up....so we'll see.

Not saying these videos will all the sudden have ultra textures obviously....but they would look much better.

goodretina

Dec 30, 2018
After messing around with the game for a few days and watching tutorials on YouTube from experts, I have an idea of how most of the stuff in each scene is made. That doesn't mean I can come close to creating something similar, but it's a cool game with a steep learning curve and lots of possibilities. I played a ton of Little Big Planet and barely touched the level design function, and I have no desire to make a level in Mario Maker. However, something about Dreams really clicked with me.

I wish it was more popular, but I'm happy that it exists.

ShutterMunster

Art Manager
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
So Media Molecule is definitely hiring this guy, right? Beyond the fact that he's clearly talented, he's also proven to be a pretty consistent creator. Guy's got great work ethic!

Modest_Modsoul

Living the Dreams
Oct 29, 2017
You could create less detailed trees in Dreams and might get lawsuit from Tequila Works again for being 'stolen assets' or 'plagiarized'.

/j