• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What games from 2017 until today get a shot at the title of "Greatest of All Time?

• Hollow Knight

Votes: 191 9.8%
  • TLoZ: Breath of the Wild

Votes: 987 50.8%
  • Red Dead Redemption

Votes: 327 16.8%
  • God of War (2018)

Votes: 387 19.9%
  • The Last of Us 2

Votes: 467 24.0%
  • Other (Put in the comments)

Votes: 161 8.3%
  • None from 2017 until today is good enough to be called GOAT.

Votes: 219 11.3%

• Total voters

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
I dunno, I liked BotW, but never went back for a second playthrough. On the other hand, I've done multiple playthrougs of several games released since then, like Sekiro, Death Stranding and Doom Eternal.
I would have found it more replayable if they added some visual variety/different music in the shrines, if there was more variation with the formula of reaching the divine beasts, and if there was unique dungeons within them.

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
I would have found it more replayable if they added some visual variety/different music in the shrines, if there was more variation with the formula of reaching the divine beasts, and if there was unique dungeons within them.

Completely agree, and those are my largest complaints with the game too. There's just a huge lack of variety. The enemy variety is lacking and the all divine beast bosses being Ganon was very disappointing. I also thought the slate having all abilities unlocked pretty quickly was bland in terms of progression.

Last edited:

Viale

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Wished I could of loved botw as much as many people seemed to. I don't dislike it, but it's 110% the worst 3d Zelda for me, and I always feel like I missed something considering the positive reception. Ah well.

Personally P5R and LoU2 pretty easily take it in terms of more recent games, but I adore every game on the poll besides botw.

Jimbojim

Jan 10, 2018
As far as personal taste goes, it is the greatest game ever made...but that doesn't mean I think everything is perfect. Some bigger themed dungeons would have been nice.

Last edited:

Clear

Oct 25, 2017
Connecticut
I would put Hollow Knight and Deadcells above the items on the list. Outside of HK I would pick TLOU2. I got bored of botw a few hours in so that knocks it out of my poll and yet to try the others.

Dance Inferno

Oct 29, 2017
RDR2 for me is one of the most fully fleshed out and immersive worlds created in a video game. The amount of time, passion, and careful thought that went into creating that world and all of the incredible stories shows every time you boot up the game. It's a labor of love.

Spacejaws

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
On a personal level, BOTW was nowhere close to being the best game of all time. Solid 7/10 for me.

I liked these more:
ruic98ahdg451.jpg

The Last of Us 2

or

maxresdefault.jpg

Red Dead Redemption 2
This is me. Both of these games really made me feel something whereas Breath of the Wild was a fun but a bit of a grind and pretty hollow for me.

Also Sekiro. Such an amazing and tight experience.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Bloodborne released 6 years ago, so no, none since then.

Well, Into the Breach and Spelunky 2 released in the interim, but I guess it's apples to oranges.

Kakadu18

Banned
Dec 31, 2020
I don't get why people want the metacritic scores to be the same as their opinion. Wouldn't you go on there to find other people's reviews/opinions?
You're right.
I mostly more or less already agree with Metacritic, + or - 5% mostly. Only rarely did I disagree strongly and then it was because I found a game way better.
Front and foremost it's a good place to find alot of reviews, to find out wether you will like a game or not before making a purchase decision.

Mafro

Oct 25, 2017
It's still the GOAT. No idea how the sequel is going to top it. The only game since then that has come close is probably Sekiro.

ghostemoji

Oct 27, 2017
Breath of the Wild wasn't even my favorite game that year. Horizon took that for me.

BotW is good, but I don't have any overwhelming feelings about it like a lot of people do. I found it to be quite a chore when I had to finally engage with the main quest to complete the game. Exploration is that games strength. Combat and the narrative were boring and unengaging.

Consequently, there are quite a few games I've enjoyed more in the interim.

Xevross

Oct 28, 2017
Breath of the Wild is almost perfect and was pretty much a magical gaming experience for me. Its absolutely the GOAT in my mind.

GOW is absolutely incredible and comes close, it very much deserves to be in the conversation. RDR2 is a brilliant masterpiece as well but has a lot more letting it down.

I'm not sure Hades does deserve to be called the best but I think its the other game I've played since 2017 which is on the level of quality of the three I mentioned.

Deleted member 12833

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sure, any of those game can be considered GOAT. I personally enjoyed RDR2 and TLOU2 much more than BOTW. GOW is about on par and I'll never understand the Hollow Knight hype

mikhailguy

Banned
Jun 20, 2019
TLOU2 is a great "focused" experience.

Doom Eternal had more moments of sublime "fun."

I still think BotW achieves more than either of them in terms of its systems. Almost everything about it feels well thought out and the chemistry/physics stuff makes intuitive sense without being overly complicated.

The fact that any weapon that an enemy wields can be picked up by Link more than makes up for the lame complaints about them breaking early (in my mind).

Last edited:

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
How can a game be the best of all time?

And why are the majority if not all of the picks games that were released in the last 5-6 years?

Its kind of a weird discussion to me. I am not a fan of rankings or lists. I feel it would be very strange to say that any movie was the best of all time.

TGB86

Jan 27, 2021
In terms of a widespread critical consensus, nothing since BOTW is close to it. This could already be seen with the way it dominated game of the decade lists last year. The idea of something like GOW actually topping a GOAT list from a publication or site of any significance is impossible to imagine. BOTW is the only game of the current era that would be in serious discussion for that, due in part to its greatness and novelty, but also to the lineage of its franchise.

Kongo B

Sep 8, 2019
Europe
Botw is great but not all time great, not even best Zelda bud

I love how for me, "BOTW is not even the best Zelda" is a true statement and still, BOTW easily sits in my personal Top 5 single player games of all time. Like, at least 3 games in that list (that only exists in my head) are Zelda games.
Does the Zelda series even deserve to be this fucking good?
That's the real question.

TheFatOne

Oct 27, 2017
TLOU2 is a great "focused" experience.

Doom Eternal had more moments of sublime "fun."

I still think BOTW achieves more than either of them in terms of its systems. Almost everything about it feels well thought out and the chemistry/physics stuff makes intuitive sense without being overly complicated.

The fact that any weapon that an enemy wields can be picked up by Link more than makes up for the lame complaints about them breaking early (in my mind).
Hell no. You are constantly micro managing your weapons. It's truly awful. Easily top three worst mechanics in any Zelda game. I kill a mob, and great it drops a trash tier weapon. It becomes a game of do I want to waste my good weapons on this mob or avoid it. For the vast majority of the game I'm skipping encounters for that reason alone. I don't want to constantly farm my good stuff, and then be in a position where I don't use it for fear of the items breaking. BOTW is a superb game with one of the most idiotic design decisions of all time.

Edit: It's not nearly as bad late game, but still incredibly annoying.

mikhailguy

Banned
Jun 20, 2019
Hell no. You are constantly micro managing your weapons. It's truly awful. Easily top three worst mechanics in any Zelda game. I kill a mob, and great it drops a trash tier weapon. It becomes a game of do I want to waste my good weapons on this mob or avoid it. For the vast majority of the game I'm skipping encounters for that reason alone. I don't want to constantly farm my good stuff, and then be in a position where I don't use it for fear of the items breaking. BOTW is a superb game with one of the most idiotic design decisions of all time.

I prefer BotW's weapon systems to something like the Last of Us games where you can't pick up enemies' guns for no reason.

I can see why a lot of people with a bit of a hoarder mentality would feel bad, but I got over that quickly.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019

Edit: It's not nearly as bad late game, but still incredibly annoying.
If you engage in combat you'll end up swimming is so many weapons that the only waste you'll be doing is deciding whether to throw your durability + fire sword into the canyon or your electric spear into the canyon because you just found an ice sword and you really want to make space for it. I never once asked myself "do I have to waste this weapon" but instead found myself laughing at how absurd it is that a weapon tier I once cherished is now on the chopping block because everything else I've found since then has surpassed it.

The game is designed so that the more combat you engage in, the more weapons you find. Those weapons become stronger & stronger. And if you absolutely, positively cannot live without a specific weapon in your arsenal, the game allows you to drop pins on the map for where specific weapons spawn every blood moon which happens, coincidentally, when you kill more enemies.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
If you engage in combat you'll end up swimming is so many weapons that the only waste you'll be doing is deciding whether to throw your durability + fire sword into the canyon or your electric spear into the canyon because you just found an ice sword and you really want to make space for it. I never once asked myself "do I have to waste this weapon" but instead found myself laughing at how absurd it is that a weapon tier I once cherished is now on the chopping block because everything else I've found since then has surpassed it.

The game is designed so that the more combat you engage in, the more weapons you find. Those weapons become stronger & stronger. And if you absolutely, positively cannot live without a specific weapon in your arsenal, the game allows you to drop pins on the map for where specific weapons spawn every blood moon which happens, coincidentally, when you kill more enemies.
You're not really making it sound better.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
I prefer BotW's weapon systems to something like the Last of Us games where you can't pick up enemies' guns for no reason.

You get the ammo from their weapons instead which makes sense in a game where you already have a set of weapons you're upgrading.
Melee weapons though? You could steal them from enemies mid fight which had unique animations.

CJohn

Oct 30, 2017
Never played BOTW. GoW and RDR2 are tremendous but from the last few years the only game I can consider GOAT worthy is The Last of Us Part II.

mikhailguy

Banned
Jun 20, 2019
You get the ammo from their weapons instead which makes sense in a game where you already have a set of weapons you're upgrading.
Melee weapons though? You could steal them from enemies mid fight which had unique animations.

Same complaint about the ammo. It just feels like the game is constantly making calculations about how many bullets you should have.

Guy who has been shooting at you for five minutes straight conveniently used his last bullet right before you killed him.

skeptem

Oct 25, 2017
Red Dead being boring is a pretty common complaint I hear. Not saying it's right, but people shouldn't act surprised. Still haven't tried Last of us 2, but I just beat the first game and man...what an amazing time.
So I actually played Outer Wilds before BOTW and I have to say they might be both up there for me. The only difference being that while Outer Wilds had my mind going for days even when I wasn't playing it, I did they with BOTW but enjoyed playing BOTW more.

It's hard, but like if BOTW is a 100 in my bring Outer WIlds is a 99.

Added bonus, my kid liked playing BOTW a lot more with me than Outer Wilds.

ascagnel

Mar 29, 2018
Breath of the Wild was great, but it wasn't even my favorite game of 2017 -- I liked Prey & Tetris Effect a whole lot more (especially the VR mode for Tetris Effect).

Horohorohoro

Jan 28, 2019
BotW wasn't my favorite game of that year, that went to Mario Odyssey and Persona 5 for me, but I do think it did do a lot for the gaming landscape and was a very good game. Since then I've probably played other games I like more too, but I won't discount what BotW did.

Ocean

Oct 25, 2017
Hollow Knight is the greatest game ever made in my opinion, and I think it came out after BOTW? So that's my pick.

DiceyRobot

Oct 26, 2017
Hollow Knight would be the only candidate for me, personally. I appreciate the others for their quality, but I just found them boring to play after awhile. HK had me hooked all the way through.

How can a game be the best of all time?

And why are the majority if not all of the picks games that were released in the last 5-6 years?

Its kind of a weird discussion to me. I am not a fan of rankings or lists. I feel it would be very strange to say that any movie was the best of all time.
People like ranking and listing things, it's a pretty common thing. I think it's only weird when it's taken too seriously, like believing there actually exists a definitive list.

Deleted member 8752

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I think BOTW is the only contender for GOAT since its release for me. But I still think it is unable to match the perfection of Chrono Trigger.

It nails the open world thing better than anything I've played and I really enjoyed all of the emergent gameplay scenarios. It's certainly the best game I've played in a few generations. Maybe Mario Galaxy comes close. But not much else for me, personally.

Hollow Knight is also fantastic, and feels like one of the best metroidvania games around. But it's not a GOAT contender for me due to the absurd difficulty ceiling for some of the DLC.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
You're not really making it sound better.
People falsely claim that the game is designed to avoid combat because it wastes good weapons when the literal opposite is true. See ya later lightning spear! I'll find a stronger version of you in 15 minutes. For now, it's time for some ice great sword mayhem that I just found sitting on the floor.

TheFatOne

Oct 27, 2017

Say you are like me and don't use two handed weapons at all. They feel bad for me to use, and I don't use them for that reason alone. Now the pool of weapons I can use is cut dramatically. I can't just go and do every encounter. I can only really do encounters for one handed weapons or spears. So the entire design of the game breaks. I'm now forced to use weapons types I don't enjoy using at all, or I can farm for those weapon types I do like.

Farming for weapon types I do like is problematic because I'm going to be forced to use two handed weapons to save the durability of the other one handed weapons or spears I have. It's a major problem early and mid game. It's alleviated somewhat end game, but it's still a problem. The worst part is that the combat in BOTW is really great. Just a shame they added this layer of micromanagement.