• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What games from 2017 until today get a shot at the title of "Greatest of All Time?

• Hollow Knight

Votes: 191 9.8%
  • TLoZ: Breath of the Wild

Votes: 987 50.8%
  • Red Dead Redemption

Votes: 327 16.8%
  • God of War (2018)

Votes: 387 19.9%
  • The Last of Us 2

Votes: 467 24.0%
  • Other (Put in the comments)

Votes: 161 8.3%
  • None from 2017 until today is good enough to be called GOAT.

Votes: 219 11.3%

• Total voters

poptire

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Hollow Knight is the only thing on the list that spoke to me on an emotional level, so I voted for that. Glad to see BotW killing it though

Aether

Jan 6, 2018
It's often like that, 'reply' invites contrasting opinions, compared to the polls.
Shure, it just seems that the gap is wider then i expected.

I mean every game mentioned in the pol has a valid shot at it.
While i voted for Zelda and Hollow knight im suprized that hollow knight is so close to RDR

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017

While i voted for Zelda and Hollow knight im suprized that hollow knight is so close to RDR
I love RDR 2 but I feel you have to package that with the first game, then it's like 11/10.

Butch

Oct 27, 2017
Death Stranding and Sekiro should be default choices too, if we are putting RDR and LOU there. IMO none of these games are close to BOTW anyway.

DCBA

Dec 12, 2018

OP makes a thread about how great Zelda is without even mentioning the other games in his text. Only listing one Nintendo franchise further increased the gap. Not the best setup for a poll.

Dunfish

Oct 29, 2017
Few like the weapon durability, lack of dungeons and the sense of boredom after the opening hours. There seems to be little objectivity in the argument for it being the greatest game.

Like what you want to like but to put a derivative and undercooked Zelda game on top of a list that includes Outer Wilds, God of War, Mario odyssey, last of us 2 let alone all games in history is completely farcical.

Aether

Jan 6, 2018
I love RDR 2 but I feel you have to package that with the first game, then it's like 11/10.
Hm...makes sense, but if you cont packages then there are a lot of games that could argue that way...
OP makes a thread about how great Zelda is without even mentioning the other games in his text. Only listing one Nintendo franchise further increased the gap. Not the best setup for a poll.
Oh, obviouly, how could i miss that point. Its a preselected biased sample size by making the thread unatractive to fans of those other series.
Then its clear why ^^"
Which also filters for nintendo gamers, and HK was the biggest on switch, which would also explain why its here and so high.

Deleted member 9584

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Breath of the Wild still to this day four years later is the most innovative open world and freshest game from a gameplay perspective I have experienced. It has aged like a fine wine in my opinion.

J-Skee

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
God of War surpassed every expectation I had, so I'm rolling with that. I personally still can't get myself to finish BOTW.

dstarMDA

Dec 22, 2017
The presumption that people could only possibly list Breath of the Wild as better than games like God of War or TLOU II if they game only inside Nintendo's ecosystem is just narrow minded and ignorant.
That's not what the user you're quoting said. They're responding to OP's question.

- is there other games that have had a shot blablabla?
- yes, GoW, TLOU2, RDR2 (+ unnecessary nintendo jab)

Not seeing any hierarchy in this post.

OT - I don't care about rankings, but I guess BOTW and TLOU2 are the two most incredible achievements I've played the past five years. RDR2 has more obvious, grating flaws but is artistically monumental as well.

I'd add What Remains of Edith Finch to the list, but it's a bit less bombastically impressive than the others.

jaymzi

Jul 22, 2019
Wonder how far back we have to go prior to 2017 to get another GOAT level game that would dominate a poll like this?

degauss

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Playing Battle Royal FPS games with friends has mostly replaced all other gaming for me in the last few years, so it's hard to objectively measure these things any more. Sad as this sounds, COD Warzone is probably my favourite game of all time at this point. But yeah, for single player experiences, Breath of the Wild is up there, masterpiece.

Mar 29, 2018
Shit, you made me change my vote to include an Other for Outer Wilds.

It is that good

Playing Battle Royal FPS games with friends has mostly replaced all other gaming for me in the last few years, so it's hard to objectively measure these things any more. Sad as this sounds, COD Warzone is probably my favourite game of all time at this point. But yeah, for single player experiences, Breath of the Wild is up there, masterpiece.
It should absolutely be included and absolutely deserves a shot at the spot. Incredible game. I say that as a 90% singleplayer person.

KayonXaikyre

Oct 27, 2017
Well I think overall consensus will be BoTW. Despite the hate or love it gets it's just more of what most people think and it usually wins every game of the decade list every single time and is even winning this poll here right now easily (as of when I wrote this lol). It doesn't mean these other games aren't awesome because they are, it's just more that in terms of mindshare of what people think is the best game in years, BoTW comes out on top almost every time. I think it would take something like a new GTA, or something totally new because stuff like God of War, while good, was a huge departure from what it once was so it will no longer be as ground breaking or surprising. They will have to iterate on whats good again and its first venture out didn't take anything away from BotW so it's unlikely the second one will either unless it's that much better. Even BotW 2 is going to struggle vs itself unless they really shake it up. I think a totally new game or a big shift on an existing game would be what I think would take the helm away.

Fromsoft games are too hard for a lot of people so they tend to rank as high universally even though Sekiro was my personal GoTY when it was out. Cyberpunk was kind of the game that was supposed to shut down everything, but it turned out to be a buggy shitshow that was easily forgotten by anyone who didn't have a PC. Remakes have it rough like RE2, FF7R, and Demons Souls even if they are awesome just because they aren't technically completely new. Last of Us II was also awesome, but by many not even considered better than the first one and has a lower meta as well then the first. Maybe this current gen of new consoles will finally produce some amazing things with the new tech, but that's what I think it will take or just a really great game that nails all the things its set out to do.

This is mostly about mindshare and what people think and will say years from now so I don't think it'll change unless its that impactful but it definitely can. Nothing so far, even when they are awesome games, has made people rank BotW any less or have lose any steam. It even sells better than alot of new games and for full price still even though its 4 years old and single player too. Whatever it is though I'll give it a try if it shows up and looks fun!

Raiden

Nov 6, 2017
Red Dead 2 is probably the most impressive and immersive one I have played, one of the best stories and characters as well.

But goddamn Breath was just something else to play and explore, it felt out of this world.

1. Breath
2. RDR 2
.. Everything else.

MadraptorMan

Oct 27, 2017
Niigata, Japan
No other game quite reaches the magic and sense of wonder that BotW had. It's very telling that 4 years later other developers are just now starting to emulate the formula successfully. I really hope Nintendo shakes things up with the sequel.

otretas

Nov 1, 2017
I would say from this generation, the most standout and that could possibly be goty would be Disco Elysium. BOTW has a big flaw in the story department and bosses, but the rest is top tier. While TLOU2 has the most awards, its just an okay game, with gameplay straight out of a ps2 game. It has an insane production level, and best animation in the whole industry and while that is in itself a feat, it was built in an idea of a movie with gameplay tacked on between parts. Games should be built with interactivity in mind, give the player freedom to express themselves. Disco Elysium has that with an amazing story and a rarely seen approach to rpg gameplay.

GovernWort

Prophet of Truth
Feb 20, 2020
BotW isn't even the best Zelda game.

Majora's Mask is the GOAT. It's better than every Sony and Microsoft game ever released.

EDIT: As for games released since BotW. It's Hades.

FGLS1992

Banned
Apr 8, 2020
Hollow Knight is the only thing on the list that spoke to me on an emotional level, so I voted for that. Glad to see BotW killing it though

I agree with both things you said.

BOTW and Hollow Knight are a step beyond of all those games, maybe, except RDR II

God of War, TLOU, besides a compelling story and production levels (that most publishers would only dream of) are not moving the industry forward.

FGLS1992

Banned
Apr 8, 2020
I would say from this generation, the most standout and that could possibly be goty would be Disco Elysium. BOTW has a big flaw in the story department and bosses, but the rest is top tier. While TLOU2 has the most awards, its just an okay game, with gameplay straight out of a ps2 game. It has an insane production level, and best animation in the whole industry and while that is in itself a feat, it was built in an idea of a movie with gameplay tacked on between parts. Games should be built with interactivity in mind, give the player freedom to express themselves. Disco Elysium has that with an amazing story and a rarely seen approach to rpg gameplay.
Thank God for people with criteria.

Johnny Cicala

Dec 8, 2017
Another vote for Outer Wilds. So much more than the sum of its parts, one of the few games that give you an experience that can't be replicated by any other medium.

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
I really hope Nintendo shakes things up with the sequel.

As do I, hopefully they have more for those of us who fell in the love with the series for the formula introduced with LTTP. I couldn't care less about TLOZ, so "returning to it's roots" did little for me, and largely felt like a step back.

It makes me sad that it's my favorite series of all time, but there isn't really anything out there to replace it if BOTW is the formula going forward. We're already seeing games heavily influenced by BOTW, but weirdly enough Nintendo was really the only one doing what LTTP, OOT, MM, WW, TP, etc... did (at least reliably).

TLOU2 has 93 on Metacritic. Just saying.

Good for it!

BOTW has a 70 in my brain. Just saying.

EloKa

GSP
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I'm pretty sure something like Pong or Tetris is viewed as "the greatest game of all time".

Estizzle

Jan 14, 2019
Few like the weapon durability, lack of dungeons and the sense of boredom after the opening hours. There seems to be little objectivity in the argument for it being the greatest game.

Like what you want to like but to put a derivative and undercooked Zelda game on top of a list that includes Outer Wilds, God of War, Mario odyssey, last of us 2 let alone all games in history is completely farcical.
I don't see there being much "objectivity" in saying that it's not the greatest game either. Evaluating a game as being the "greatest" is obviously going to be a subjective matter. Which is probably why this "derivative and undercooked Zelda game" is currently topping the poll above the kinds of games you listed.

For me, yeah, it's easily my favorite game since its release and at minimum in my top 3 of all time. Not everyone's going to think it's a top 3 game (heck, not everyone's going to agree it's a good game), but to try to bring objectivity into an inherently subjective matter is... an odd choice, at the very least.

Deleted member 68874

Account closed at user request
Banned
May 10, 2020
RDR2 is so clearly above anything else in this industry.

R* are still the best in the business by a mile.

TheDave545

Nov 4, 2017
Weapon Degradation
Lack Of Dungeons
Lack of Story
Barren World
Lack of exploration rewards.

This game doesn't even come close to my top 100 and is easily one of my most disliked Zelda games, doesn't come close to OoT or LttP.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
I remember that during the BOTW review/launch week, the "best game of all time" conversation was really prominent on reviews/news/forums..., which I don't remember for any of the other listed games. Maybe RDR II got some too, but not on the same level (and the criticisms about the poor/rigid gunplay or movement were everywhere from the start, which I think makes sense).

I would say from this generation, the most standout and that could possibly be goty would be Disco Elysium.
I still think that BotW is the best game from al time, but Disco Elysium is so unique, well-written and immersive that it deserves any praise it has received and some more.

Daddy JeanPi

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
As a metroidvania lover, i tried so hard to like Hallow Knight but i just can't. Pains me to see it on the list. One of the few games i'd call overrated along TLOU1.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017

BOTW is defintely not derivative. I hope they can find a balance with the old and new zelda, proper dungeons and deeper more, linear storytelling.

Daddy JeanPi

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Weapon Degradation
Lack Of Dungeons
Lack of Story
Barren World
Lack of exploration rewards.

This game doesn't even come close to my top 100 and is easily one of my most disliked Zelda games, doesn't come close to OoT or LttP.
I'm sorry to hear your experience was so bad. My favorite is Alttp and i loved Botw. I still llay it to this day. Wish i could erase my memory so that i can experience it for the first time again.

alexwise

Nov 3, 2017
I think calling breath of the wild "best of all times" is bit of a stretch. It's a good game but nowhere near the best game ever

Dever

Dec 25, 2019
I dunno, I liked BotW, but never went back for a second playthrough. On the other hand, I've done multiple playthrougs of several games released since then, like Sekiro, Death Stranding and Doom Eternal.