• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What games from 2017 until today get a shot at the title of "Greatest of All Time?

• Hollow Knight

Votes: 191 9.8%
  • TLoZ: Breath of the Wild

Votes: 987 50.8%
  • Red Dead Redemption

Votes: 327 16.8%
  • God of War (2018)

Votes: 387 19.9%
  • The Last of Us 2

Votes: 467 24.0%
  • Other (Put in the comments)

Votes: 161 8.3%
  • None from 2017 until today is good enough to be called GOAT.

Votes: 219 11.3%

• Total voters

Jeremy

Oct 25, 2017
Putting my personal opinion totally to the side, it's hard to argue that Breath of the Wild is definitely the de facto game of the decade / last generation.

Doesn't strike me as a consensus GOAT though.

RingoGaSuki

Apr 22, 2019
Critically? No.

For me personally, BOTW was never even in my top 10. FE3H, PMD: Explorers of Sky and Yakuza 0, among others, are all way above it.

rrost

Banned
Jul 20, 2018
I doubt your average corporate sanitizer would have greenlit 3 starring LGBT characters.
Or
kill off the previous main character. Or have you play as that killer for half the game.

We'll never know for sure, so that can't be a measure.
Is that so? LGBT character has gained much representation in media lately. Netflix has bunch of shows with them, there are lot of great movies coming with them. It's not that new in gaming too! life of strange and various independent games have them. Nowadays LGBT characters are, i won't say properly represented but its safe enough that corporations greenlights them. And this ultimately doesn't refute my point. When I say "sanitized" I mean sanitized in terms of VideoGame tropes, design, style that would pander to the largest audience possible. Which botw decidedly breaks from that's why it'll be a landmark in VideoGame Canon. Tlou2 has LGBT characters, i appreciate them, and they deserve the applaud they got for it. But ultimately they don't affect game design.

For your 2nd statement frankly I don't think that tlou2 would've even crossed tlou. You'll know soon when the game of generation lists roll around. These things are super easy to predict.

Last edited:
OP
OP
SalvaPot

SalvaPot

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Added a poll with the top recommendations and you can vote for all of them, or just vote for none of them. I made it 2017+ so Hollow Knight could qualify.

squidyj

Oct 25, 2017
Putting personal feelings aside. If we are talking about VideoGame Canon like film history, Botw is probably the only definitive "big" game that will have a secure place. Mainly due to its design and acclaim. Apart from it the titles which I see making their marks in future disposition are also design focused independent games like outer wilds or hollow knight. Bloodborne is also there I think.

Corporate sanitized AAA fare like Gow, RDR2 OR Tlou2 won't last.

Corporate and sanitized is a very weird and counterintuitive way to describe TLoU2, a game that managed to upset a lot of people with it's depictions of violence and ugliness. I think this is an instance of you being incapable of looking beyond your biases or your failure to understand the breadth of what goes into being a video game.

Oct 25, 2017
On a personal level, BOTW was nowhere close to being the best game of all time. Solid 7/10 for me.

I liked these more:
ruic98ahdg451.jpg

The Last of Us 2

or

maxresdefault.jpg

Red Dead Redemption 2

on a personal level, I haven't played tlou2as I found tlou dull in gameplay and rdr2 totally not my thing

botw is up there for my personal gotf

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
Wait, "Best of All Time" is an extraordinarily subjective statement, why is the OP acting like BotW wins by default?

Also it's either Super Mario 3D World or A Link Between Worlds.

GeoGonzo

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Madrid, Spain
I don't think there's such a thing as a "best of all time". I really liked BotW, God of War and RDR2, but much smaller games are equally memorable to me, such as The Witness, Disco Elysium, Outer Wilds or Return of the Obra Dinn.

BashNasty

Oct 30, 2017
Breath of the Wild is certainly a better GOAT pick than Red Dead Redemption 2 or The Last of Us 2. Unlike those two games, BotW actually has amazing gameplay.

For me personally though, my GOAT may be Diablo II. That game was in the right place at the right time for me, and my friends and I spent countless hours playing it online and over a lan.

takriel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Out of the games listed, only BotW has a shot imo. Truly innovative and groundbreaking.

PetrCobra

Oct 27, 2017
Other than BotW, can't really think of a game that is quite up there for me. Played TLOU2, God of War, Xenoblade Chronicles 2, and I'm sure plenty other brilliant games I'm forgetting right now. Maybe Mario Odyssey could be one.

Looking at this thread, I really need to check out RDR2, Hollow Knight and Outer Wilds. The latter is a surprise tip for me, don't really know what to expect so I'm excited.

Cudpug

Nov 9, 2017
It was pretty extraordinary. An incredible experience. And yet I haven't felt the need to play it again. Feels like a game I really need to forget in order to want to experience it again. I need to feel awed again and that won't happen while I still remember what's over the next ridge.

Civilstrife

Oct 27, 2017
Outer Wilds is definitely up there. It is utterly unique, deeply affecting and has possibly the best conclusion of any game ever.

But it's still unfortunately such a hard recommendation. It's so easy to get turned off by the spaceship controls and the complete lack of handholding before it begins to unfold and get its hooks into you. I've recommended it to friends only to have them drop it early, and it breaks my heart :(

It's a truly special game. I just wish it was as universally accessible as Breath of the Wild.

rrost

Banned
Jul 20, 2018
Corporate and sanitized is a very weird and counterintuitive way to describe TLoU2, a game that managed to upset a lot of people with it's depictions of violence and ugliness. I think this is an instance of you being incapable of looking beyond your biases or your failure to understand the breadth of what goes into being a video game.
Please do tell me what are my biases?

FeD

Oct 25, 2017
Personally TLoU2 came close. But if there ever was a chance to re-experience a single game as new it would be edged out by BotW. That first playthrough was something else.

Taurus

Banned
Jun 15, 2018
Presumably it's the 3rd where you're located? It's still March 2nd in the States. In any case that's also a Happy 4 years to the Nintendo Switch. Such a monumental title and platform and I couldn't be any happier with the direction Nintendo has taken since.
Agreed. After Wii U misstep Nintendo has had an amazing turnaround and their software output is unmatched in the industry.

To OP, yes, BotW is simply the best game released so far and overcomes OoT as an evergreen title that will be remembered for decades to come as a game that made Zelda great again but also made bold moves to upgrade the series to a new level.

None of the listed games come even close.

silva1991

Oct 26, 2017
Personal opinions aside, the answer is no. It's undeniable that BOTW is on the same caliber as RE4, Ocarina of time, Dark souls, TLOU1 etc. It will always be high in GOAT lists and I don't think any game ever since it's release comes close to that.

Irene

Feb 22, 2021
Breath of the Wild is an incredible achievement, commercially, critically, you name it. I've had casual friends saying how much fun they had exploring the world and getting caught up with the game's chemistry engine shenanigans, as well as game design students screaming as they put the game under their looking glasses to get a closer look at the scope and brilliance of what Nintendo achieved after five years of toil and hardship.

It's my favorite game ever made, I cherish it so much and consider the memories that I have with it some of my dearest. I think it ticks so hard, and so much, in the way that it aims for so many aspects of fundamental game design elements and rules of play and rings them all home. It nails so, so much - the sense of freedom, player agency, scale and scope, tactile feedback and intensity, all with that signature Nintendo polish and attention to detail and sheer, peerless perfectionism at display.

I won't say that it runs in circles around games like RDR2 and The Last of Us Part 2, because those are fantastic games in their own right. But you can easily proclaim Breath of the Wild the GOAT and walk away from the conversation in good faith.

(Poll is missing Nier: Automata, though)

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
A lot of games for me. Really not a fan of Zelda tbh.

Nier Automata, FFXIV Shadowbringers, God of War, Sekiro ... these goat discussions are always weird to me *shrug*

melloon

Jan 17, 2021
Half-Life: Alyx was a far more staggering achievement to me, tbh. If only more people could okay it.

Deleted member 20471

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I love FF7R, Prey (2017), Hollow Knight and Tlou2, but nothing comes close to Botw. This gen we had only one game that it's even better than it, and it's Bloodborne.

Fennec

Jan 22, 2019
Hades, Celeste, Factorio, TLOU II, God Of War, Ori and the WW....many were released after TBOW that were as sophisticated and ambitious, if not more...

LazyLain

Jan 17, 2019
There's plenty of games I'd put in the same general leauge as BOTW... BOTW does some fantastic and special things, but it's not in a league of its own. It has shortcomings too, and there's no shortage of other games out there doing great things of their own.

Hell, 2017 alone had plenty of marvelous games to choose from... Mario Odyssey, Nier Automata, Cuphead, Yakuza 0, and Persona 5, just to name a few.

Bubukill

Oct 25, 2017
Panama
BOTW is nowhere close to be the best Zelda game for me, not even to consider putting it into my all time favorite games list, lol; It is a 7/10 game, which is solid game though. It really nails some aspects but some others are directly awful (awful weapon degradation, sub-par, short & easy dungeons, awful bosses, lame story and side quests).

I had a more engaging experience with God Of War, Outer Wilds, Hollow Knight, Disco Elysium; So excuse me, but I think those games I mentioned blow BOTW out of the water.

golguin

Oct 29, 2017
I think Last of Us 2, Witcher 3 and God of War surpassed it in the number of awards it got.

So those three.

We are talking about the best game and not a collection of good stories. Too many people confuse games with good stories as "best games." The Witcher 3 is notorious for being annoying to play, but the world and story are top tier.

Oct 12, 2020
From the games i played:

Hollow Knight is a great game. The atmosphere, mechanics and the feel of the game a great. But it just doesn't feel influential, since it draws many aspect of games like Metroid and Dark Souls in a very obvious way. A "Greatest of All Time" game should start a new era and Hollow Knight is "just" an extremely great game.

The Last of Us 2 is fine. I feel, people look at the story and production value more, then to the actual gameplay. Here the Last of Us 2 is just very basic. The level-design is extremely drawn out, the mission- and encounter-design doesn't have much variation and as a semi-stealth game it misses all the fun tools. It lives from it scale and ambition, but less in actual substance.

TLoZ: Breath of the Wild is clearly a "Greatest of All Time" game in my opinion. People still talk about it, have opinions and four years later it still sells greatly. It has the whole package of great gameplay, an unique interactive world and a small sympathetic story with many charming characters. Breath of the Wild is also one of those games, which looks very simple and obvious on the outside. But if you do something well, people will not notice all the work, you actually put into something.

NuclearCake

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
TLOU2 is a fantastic game and the best one on the PS4.

BOTW saved the Zelda series and is one of the best games of all time.

golguin

Oct 29, 2017
True, but TLOU2 has top notch gameplay. So does GoW.

The Last of Us 2 is the same gameplay as the first game and it got tiring during the first game.

I did every challenge in GoW and beat all the Valkyries, but it's combat system isn't even the best in its genre when you have the Devil May Cry series and Bayonetta.

I don't think anyone has ever claimed in good will that the Witcher 3 has great gameplay. It's serviceable, but people are mostly there for the world, story, and characters.

I would talk about BoTW and Hollow Knight in the same breath because they are defined by their gameplay, but they are enhanced by things like world/level design, lore, characters, music, etc.

Kakadu18

Banned
Dec 31, 2020
For me personally no game comeseven remotely close to Breath of the Wild.
Super Mario Odyssey comes the closest since BotW released.