• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Oct 30, 2017
anyone over the age of 14 using the word "overrated" needs to check themselves.

it is not for you to tell me how i rated a game. disagree with substance.

and of course this thread goes to 8 pages based on a ridiculous title.

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
When Breath of the Wild does start winning Game of the Decade/Generation awards, we are gonna see some serious shit.

OP
OP

Deleted member 58846

User requested account closure
Banned
Jul 28, 2019
So, why are you reporting an article from a random website? Should we report every website/community that are against the common opinion? I ask because I have seen many other websites that have much more followers on various social media saying that Botw is not a masterpiece.
It's the top article on N4G (or was this morning)

Oct 27, 2017
When someone says something is overrated, do they mean that people are wrong for liking something or that they pretend to like it? I never understand the angle of these takes.
I think it's more of the talk and hype around something makes it take a life of its own and people live in the moment. I compare it to recently everybody started fawning over the Demon slayer anime. I love the anime/manga but people are living in the moment and overrating it because it's in your face now

Jorgie

Mar 28, 2018
Philadelphia
I wouldn't say it's the most overrated game of all time but it's definitely top 3. The points made in the article are pretty spot on regardless of it comparing it to other Zelda's or judging as a standalone game.

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
I think it's more of the talk and hype around something makes it take a life of its own and people live in the moment. I compare it to recently everybody started fawning over the Demon slayer anime. I love the anime/manga but people are living in the moment and overrating it because it's in your face now

Breath of the Wild is almost three years old and people still talk about it like its a couple months old.

Linde

Banned
Sep 2, 2018
how can you say that the lack of challenge is not debatable? the game for me was easy as fuck and i heard that critic a lot of times here or in other places.
the combat for me was unrewarding, you only break your weapons with little to no rewards from enemies if not other (maybe worst) breakable weapon, again another flaw that you hear a lot, people just straight up avoid combat in this game.
ok maybe not the worst, but some of the worst tower, they are simple and uninteresting and the "puzzle" are a joke, just drink a stamina potion in the menu or a health potion for poisoned towers.
for people like me who like to find useful things or unique things the exploration was really urewarding, like i said, life, stamina, seeds, some breakable weapons and some armour that you don't switch anymore after 20 hours because food gave the same effect with less work in the menus.
ok some good vistas or funny things like the dragon or the rock bowling, but it's not nearly enough for today standards.
the game is pretty hard though. brutal at times
and definitely harder than any other Zelda game before it

Angst

Oct 27, 2017
To be honest, this sounds like you put more stock into specific parts of the Zelda series that just so happened to take a back seat in this game. What the game set out to do it did extremely well.

Sure. Which is why I don't like it. I think its the worst 3d Zeldagame because my favorite parts of Zelda aren't in this game/or are worsein this game.

Taker34

QA Tester
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
building stone people
I'm more of a PlayStation guy but Breath of the Wild was probably one of the most memorable open world game I've ever played. Overrated? No. There's no such thing, except if you're narcissistic enough to believe your opinion is more valuable than the one of others.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
BotW is absolutely extremely overrated, but the most overrated game of all time? That's a pretty loaded statement to make, even for me.

Nah, it's Goldeneye.

Ha. I kind of agree with this even though I loved the hell out of Goldeneye when it was still relevant. Going back and playing it nowadays, though...wow. A lot of seminal early 3D games are still playable now, but Goldeneye...no. Just no.

Serif

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Man, it never stops being funny, no matter how many times or how many different ways people say it

Don't you get it? Games are just collections of sounds, mechanics, and 3D meshes with interchangeable coats of paint slapped on at the last second. The legacy of a series, the expectations it creates, and the history of its developers have absolutely nothing to do with the final product.

/s

Breath of the Wild is almost three years old and people still talk about it like its a couple months old.

The sequel to the game was pretty recently announced, so people of course are going to discuss their opinions on it as they discuss what they want the sequel to improve on.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
When Breath of the Wild does start winning Game of the Decade/Generation awards, we are gonna see some serious shit.
we've already seen it in the IGN and Paste lists. people can't get over botw being a beloved game after nearly 3 years.

Overrated? No. There's no such thing, except if you're narcissistic enough to believe your opinion is more valuable than the one of others.
well said.

CrabDust

Nov 16, 2017
I agree that its not a great Zelda adventure, but an impressive open world experiment.

Replaying LTTP and LA recently has solidified that opinion.

Angst

Oct 27, 2017
My favorite thing about these threads is that the people who dislike the game can't seem to accept that a lot of people like the game.

And vice versa.

I've noticed the same posters getting really defensive over any criticism levied towards BOTW.

At the end of the day, the opinions around the game are just that, subjective opinions.

Personally I think it does get far more praise than it deserves. But also

different strokes for different folks.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My favorite thing about these threads is that the people who dislike the game can't seem to accept that a lot of people like the game.

And vice versa.

I've noticed the same posters getting really defensive over any criticism levied towards BOTW.

At the end of the day, the opinions around the game are just that, subjective opinions.

Personally I think it does get far more praise than it deserves. But also

different strokes for different folks.
disliking the game is one thing, but being baffled at people liking a game that's universally praised as one of the goats is a bit weird.

NabiscoFelt

One Winged Slayer
Aug 15, 2019
Here's a funny thing: as someone who considers Breath of the Wild their favorite game of all time, I don't actually disagree with many of the criticisms (except weapon durability, that was great. Only time I've seen that weapon durability was implemented well as a mechanic rather than a mild annoyance. Also shrines were fun, dammit), they just never really bothered me. It's not a flawless game imo by any means, but it's still an absolutely amazing one.

takriel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What a bunch of jokers. It's clearly RDR 2.

DevilMayGuy

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
I hate terms like overrated due to them framing everyone else's opinion as wrong rather than framing the discussion more around how one's opinion doesn't align with the majority. It puts the burden of "wrongness" on everyone else rather than acknowledging that everything is subjective and sometimes things are a miss for some while they work for the vast majority of others.
I would never say that BotW is overrated. I would say that it is the most consistently highly rated and recommended game that does absolutely nothing for me, but even within that, I recognize what it is that people love about the game. There is nothing mystifying about why people are so enamored with it, and seeing people question why others enjoy it is always an exercise in marvelling at how some people seem to lack the ability to understand opposing viewpoints.

ckareset

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Feb 2, 2018
I do think the game is a tad overrated. There is a lot of filler and open world monotony. The story/narrative didnt come together well. Lack of dungeons (lack of items as well)

I suspect BOTW 2 will fix all these things.

That being said, the legend of belda stuff is nonsense. If it was a random game by a random developer it would be much more accepted as perfect.

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
It's a game with incredibly high highs surrounded by a lot of odd design choices. A potential sequel might stand the test of time far better.

However, the title of most overrated game of all time will forever belong to Grand Theft Auto IV.

Angst

Oct 27, 2017
disliking the game is one thing, but being baffled at people liking a game that's universally praised as one of the goats is a bit weird.
Its also extremely weird how people that like the game respond to literally every criticism of the game dismissing that users opinion as not valid.

Like I said, people are completely unable to accept alternate opinions. Both those that like it and those who don't

NiallGGlynn

Apr 16, 2019
"Overrated" is a useless term. Like something or don't, don't attempt to state that you're infallibly correct.

Iggelich

Aug 31, 2019
Every BOTW thread should come with a Belda counter

It seems a lot of people don't share the same definition of "overrated" lol
Probably because the term doesn't make sense.
Either you're calling someone else's rating wrong or disingenuous, but are too chicken to communicate clear what you mean, or you say nothing more than 'I like it less than you', which doesn't generate as much attention.

OP
OP

Deleted member 58846

Banned
Jul 28, 2019
I'm requesting this to be locked, since we're going around in circles, and the writer/site seem to have some questionable tendencies.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
Na, that's RDR2.
Breath of the Wild is fantastic. But yeah I can see why you might feel that it's overrated because some people act like Nintendo made the first good open-world game ever. Broken down into its parts is just another empty open world with collectaton mechanics and tower climbing. But the traversal and sense of exploration is great and the game oozes charm.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
I'm more of a PlayStation guy but Breath of the Wild was probably one of the most memorable open world game I've ever played. Overrated? No. There's no such thing, except if you're narcissistic enough to believe your opinion is more valuable than the one of others.
That's mostly it yeah. I mean, I disagree but the praise some games receive (the most recent example is RDR2) and we can discuss it here, but the "overrated" argument feels so lazy and empty.

carlosrox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver BC
Halo is much worse.

Games changed because of it, and not for the better, and it stole credit from far more deserving games.

I was falling for the hype of the first game til I realized how horribly repetitive it was that it was almost broken. Several levels rinse repeat the same 3 rooms over and over again. I'll never forget that Library level with all the Flood. I literally became convinced I was going in circles there.

BOTW isn't perfect, but it isn't as overrated as Halo, or HL2 for that matter.

Deleted member 59109

Banned
Aug 8, 2019
It is pretty overrated. The world is easily the best in Zelda, but it has the most bland dungeons in the entire series, and there's a ton of quantity>quality stuff like the majority of the "content" to find being shrines, korok seeds, stables, and enemy camps that all look the same. This lack of variety extends to the dungeons also. The exploring is fun at first, but when the "reward" for it is finding this stuff which wasn't really exciting from the beginning let alone 100 times later, it's seriously disappointing and underwhelming.

But it isn't the most overrated game of all time. Just instead of being 10/10 and one of the best games ever, or the best Zelda game ever, it's like an 8.5 and maybe a B tier Zelda game. Most overrated would be like, Mario 64, Mario Odyssey, Witcher 3, Last of Us or something.

Dynheart

Self-requested ban
Oct 31, 2017
I've never understood the whole overrated argument. If you do not like the game, then it's not for you. Take me for example, the gaming world swears by The Witcher 3. I happen to buy it digitally a couple of years ago, on sale, with all the trimmings. I just do not like the game. I gave it 4 tries (one more past my 3 strikes method), and still, it's a no go. I've also played enough games in the 36 years I have been gaming to recognize quality, though. So I sure as shit am not going to call the game overrated, just not for me. What sucks now is I cannot trade it in, I'm stuck with it for life.

Not every game is going to be for everyone, even the critically acclaimed (I know to avoid all critically acclaimed FPS games, no matter how high they rate, as I know I dislike FPS games..Destiny being the exception), I wish more people would realize that before slapping the overrated label on everything.

EDIT: Typos galore!

Le Dude

May 16, 2018
USA
The sentiment that "If ______ wasn't a ______ game, it would have been considered average" should be banned.

There's absolutely no evidence that Breath of the Wild scored well just because it is a Zelda game. There are people that don't play Zelda who considered it an absolutely incredible game and some of its most staunch critics are Zelda fans. Other games with the Zelda name have been criticized, implying the name doesn't faruntee the high scores these people think it does. The whole thing is an utterly worthless idea with no merit whatsoever.

ckareset

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Feb 2, 2018
It is pretty overrated. The world is easily the best in Zelda, but it has the most bland dungeons in the entire series, and there's a ton of quantity>quality stuff like the majority of the "content" to find being shrines, korok seeds, stables, and enemy camps that all look the same. This lack of variety extends to the dungeons also. The exploring is fun at first, but when the "reward" for it is finding this stuff which wasn't really exciting from the beginning let alone 100 times later, it's seriously disappointing and underwhelming.

But it isn't the most overrated game of all time. Just instead of being 10/10 and one of the best games ever, or the best Zelda game ever, it's like an 8.5 and maybe a B tier Zelda game. Most overrated would be like, Mario 64, Mario Odyssey, Witcher 3, Last of Us or something.
Why is Mario 64 in that list

Akainu

Unshakable Resolve
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Everywhere and nowhere
I'm inclined to agree. People say rdr2 or gta but i don't remember stories of people being so insprised by how great those games are that they finally came out to their family or stood up to their boss and quit their jobs.

Leo-Tyrant

Jan 14, 2019
San Jose, Costa Rica
Personally, I think that that Hyrule Castle is the best part of the game and the only point I'm 100% sure to say: Ok, this takes Zelda dungeons to a new height. It's not that I want all dungeons to be like this as I love dungeons with a central mechanic(Lakebed temple for example) but it adds a great new possibility.Though at the same time it also suffer from the philosophy of the game. You could just use Revali's gale and skip all of the great gameplay segments.

Yes, the castle was good. Did it early in the game (minus the boss fight), when I found it and got the Hylian shield. There is nothing like it during the rest of the game though.

I WANT real Dungeons on top of this open world stuff. I want them to go all out on with big villages and cities and actual fun sub-quests.

Status
Not open for further replies.