• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
Interestingly enough, Jim Sterling's review for this game, which many people hold on to as "fair" criticism, actually commits the cardinal sin of reviewing it against other reviews for it, rather than assessing it on its own terms.
In a thread where we are openly mocking "Belda" people, I'm going to own my hypocrisy. I genuinely wonder how Jim's review would have been received it were from somebody named Tim Starling. And for the record, I really do enjoy Jim's content and his contributions, but he does have a bit of a cult of personality.

Hugare

Banned
Aug 31, 2018
Don't know about the "most overrated" part, but yeah, I agree with everything

I'm having waay more fun with Link's Awakening. More of a complete package.

Even if you enjoy the game as a whole, it's hard to argue against the cons. They are blatant.

OP
OP

Deleted member 58846

User requested account closure
Banned
Jul 28, 2019
In a thread where we are openly mocking "Belda" people, I'm going to own my hypocrisy. I genuinely wonder how Jim's review would have been received it were from somebody named Tim Starling. And for the record, I really do enjoy Jim's content and his contributions, but he does have a bit of a cult of personality.
I think Jim Sterling's review has such widespread acceptance not because it's by Jim Sterling, but because it's a negative review by a "big" "outlet" which gave a nexus to those who very clearly did not like the game,

It's especially funny because the people who praise Sterling's review often cite problems that are directly at odds with what Sterling says in his piece (e.g., Sterling praised the density of the overworld, and the variety of combat and content, which most criticism of BotW fixates on). People just agree with the score, and nothing else.

deathsaber

Nov 2, 2017
Breath of the Wild is funny because in one aspect, it does completely lacks the magic of prior Zelda entries (just the perfect symmetry of how the puzzles come together, from doing what you got to do in overworld to reach a dungeon and then the dungeon itself, and systematically working through this perfectly constructed puzzle that IS the game).

Then BOTW throws it ALL out the window in the interest of being COMPLETELY open ended. All essential abilities and means of traversal are handed out at the beginning. All dungeons (of which there are far fewer and they are much shorter in duration) can be reached and done in any order. They don't involve obtaining specific items that allow you to proceed, or give any special abilities needed for the boss, or allow new traversal options. They have open layouts and just involve some puzzles that can be tackled in any order. Bosses can be fought & damaged with literally any weapon at your disposal, you don't even HAVE to get the master sword if you don't want to.

So literally, everything that appealed in the old games is lost, but then BOTW just goes and creates its own brilliance, by giving you pretty much infinite possibilities with its pure sandbox where everything is organic and physics based instead of but then it lacks that carefully assembled perfect "structure" of the previous games. As such, I do totally get why some people might really NOT like BOTW.

I for one enjoyed BOTW for what it was, but I sure hope the old mechanics don't go away - I'd love something with BOTW's huge overworld, but find a way to bring back the big complex dungeons of old, going from room to room, finding hidden keys, and locating the big chest with items and weapons that allow for further exploration/combat options that open the map more, and eventually unlocking that boss room door that required you to utilize that new weapon/skill you obtained.

Ponchito

Oct 28, 2017
Mexico City
Why is "item durability" a bad thing?

It just sucks. The weapon durability feature made me dislike combat so much in this game. I like feeling attached to a weapon or set of weapons. Like Dark Souls.

Anyways, I absolutely agree with the article, it's a great game but it has many faults, specially when it comes to it being a LoZ game.

OP
OP

Deleted member 58846

Banned
Jul 28, 2019
It just sucks. The weapon durability feature made me dislike combat so much in this game. I like feeling attached to a weapon or set of weapons. Like Dark Souls.

Anyways, I absolutely agree with the article, it's a great game but it has many faults, specially when it comes to it being a LoZ game.
I mean that sounds more like a problem with your mindset than the game.

Angst

Oct 27, 2017
This displays the level of misrepresentation people often go to to criticize the game.
Its not misrepresentation. The game is full of flaws. The world is empty, the sidequests give meaningless rewards, the shrines are repetive in both artistic and sound designs,the dungeons are bad. It's honestly the weakest 3d zelda bar none

saiko

Nov 4, 2017
SOURCE

I don't think I agree with any part of this, but they definitely feel strongly about it. A lot of their criticism in this article appears to be based on comparing BOTW with other Zelda games and BOTW coming up short, rather than assessing the game on its own terms (ironically enough).

What do you think, Era?

What's wrong with assessing the game with the rest of the series? Isn't that what we do with any game, especially in a long-running franchise like Zelda?

Expy

Oct 26, 2017
One of the most overrated games definitely. The game is good, it's not a masterpiece in any sense of the word though.

jerk

Nov 6, 2017
I can't believe this game took most of the game of the year awards and Horizon Zero Dawn got snubbed. Really hoping the sequel improves on a ton of the issues. Which reminds me, now that I beat it, I can go watch that reveal trailer!
traversal just had not been done at its scale like BOTW before it came out. Moving around in such a limited way in horizon feels like being chained down with how little there is to interact with.

(I like horizon too, but BOTW was way more revolutionary. )

Lobster Roll

Sep 24, 2019

So go kill some baddies or walk into a cave. The game is designed to have your weapon profits exceed your weapon expenses.

OP
OP

Deleted member 58846

Banned
Jul 28, 2019
Its not misrepresentation. The game is full of flaws. The world is empty, the sidequests give meaningless rewards, the shrines are repetive in both artistic and sound designs,the dungeons are bad. It's honestly the weakest 3d zelda bar none
Calling them Ubisoft towers is misrepresentation.

Everything else in this post is opinions.

What's wrong with assessing the game with the rest of the series? Isn't that what we do with any game, especially in a long-running franchise like Zelda?
Because you cannot say "no one would praise this game so much if it wasn't called Zelda", and then ding it for not being Zelda. You literally undermined your own thesis.

Hugare

Banned
Aug 31, 2018
What are these cons I cannot argue against?
Lackluster dungeons, way too many shrines (quantity over quality), simple story (comparing to past Zeldas only), way too many Korok Seeds (nine hundred !!), lackluster enemy variety ... A lot of things that people have already exposed here

And the towers are just another unlocking the map mechanic introduced by Ubisoft in 2007

I'm not going to mention other stuff such as the weapon system because that would be debatable.

People keep saying "games will be influenced by BotW for decades", but all I see are open worlds influenced by The Witcher 3 instead

OP
OP

Deleted member 58846

Banned
Jul 28, 2019
Lackluster dungeons, way too many shrines (quantity over quality), simple story (comparing to past Zeldas only), way too many Korok Seeds (nine hundred !!), lackluster enemy variety ... A lot of things that people have already exposed here

And the towers are just another unlocking the map mechanic introduced by Ubisoft in 2007

I'm not going to mention other stuff such as the weapon system because that would be debatable.

People keep saying "games will be influenced by BotW for decades", but all I see are open worlds influenced by The Witcher 3
The towers are nothing like Ubisoft towers, lol
Korok seeds are there for duplication.
I have zero issue with the number of shrines.
Enemy variety is the one flaw you named, and something I was able to overlook in this game, much like I was in a game like God of War (where, what with it being an action game, it was more central).

Hurting Bomb

Oct 28, 2017
User Warned: Console wars
Isn't this true of most Nintendo games?

I thought BOTW was very good but every generation the dish out the same games with some different gimmicks......something the Xbox gets a lot of stick for.

Xeontech

Oct 28, 2017
Still chaps my ass that there is weapon durability. And I don't even play any more.

Loved the game tho.

jerk

Nov 6, 2017
So go kill some baddies or walk into a cave. The game is designed to have your weapon profits exceed your weapon expenses.
That's great but having the weapons feel like short rentals and not something you discover/craft and keep is a big flaw with the durability thing. You can say it's an issue of having the wrong mindset but that's not going to change how people feel about it.

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I never said they did. But it's a common complaint of their game design.
But why? The towers serve a function of revealing the area, functionally the same as buying a map from Tingle in Majora's Mask. And it (along with the mountains) gives you a vantage point to get the lay of the land and search for landmarks. The Ubisoft criticism typically comes from the game outlining the objective to the player, making the game more linear, but BotW puts it on the player to decide what is important, and gives nothing away other than the map and a view. So the comparison doesn't really work or feel like a negative.

Xevross

Oct 28, 2017
Ah shit, guess I'm an idiot for thinking its the best game I've ever played. Thanks for letting me know VG Culture!

TurdFerguson

Oct 28, 2017
Norway
BotW is definitely not perfect, but the game is pure genius in so many ways. Especially when it comes to open world exploration and emergent gameplay. I'm actually replaying it right now and I have realized that I don't actually miss the traditional dungeons, which I originally thought I did. I love the bite sized challenges of the shrines and the fact that you often can experiment with different solutions. The thing that soured me the most about the shrines is the lack of visual variety. Why not provide similar challenges in more natural environments? I also think the shrines would benefit from more varied rewards so that the game feels less formulaic. This is something I hope they improve for the sequal.

Other than that, just ditch the whole destructable weapon idea and rather provide less loot. I'm not talking old Zelda loot levels with three swords in the entire game, but make it feel like an event when you find a special new weapon like the elemental ones.

Lobster Roll

Sep 24, 2019
That's great but having the weapons feel like short rentals and not something you discover/craft and keep is a big flaw with the durability thing. You can say it's an issue of having the wrong mindset but that's not going to change how people feel about it.
Why are you keeping low tier weapons anyways? As you continue through the game you'll fight higher-tier enemies that require more damage, so it's not like you'll be using that farmer's pitchfork in hour 80 of the game. BOTW is even gracious enough to allow you to mount your favorite weapons on the walls of your house. A beautiful, digital display for your digital ice sword to collect digital dust, never to be used again but to be looked upon from time to time lovingly.

Trace

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Don't know if I agree with "most overrated of all time" but "extremely overrated and wouldn't have anywhere near the same amount of acclaim without the Zelda name attached"? Definitely.

GymWolf86

Banned
Nov 10, 2018
What are these cons I cannot argue against?
low enemy variety
basic melee combat
not exactly the most functional ui and button mapping for not nintendo user?
lack of challenge (arguable of course but if you are even a little skilled with action rpg the game is a cakewalk except for the first couple of fights against the lynels)
basic and stupid enemy ia if not for some funny gimmick?
unrewarding combat
not enough rewards for exploration? (breakable weapon, life, stamina, korok seeds, etc.)
very generous food system that trivialize climbing, some puzzle and change of outfits? (arguable for some, not for me, the game is really unbalanced and easy to break)
mediocre dungeons compared with best in the business or older zelda games?
less than mediocre boss fights
samey shrines
shitty story and pg
shitty sidequest
mediocre VA
one of the worst and less interesting iteration of videogame towers
a lot of empty space (arguable, i kinda like that sometimes)

some are arguable like difficulty or rewarding exploration, but some are very real.

balgajo

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Because you cannot say "no one would praise this game so much if it wasn't called Zelda", and then ding it for not being Zelda. You literally undermined your own thesis.
I agree. My feeling is exactly the opposite. I think that the game would be less criticized if it wasn't a Zelda game. Most of critics I see around(mine included) comes from the game ditching things that people consider integral to Zelda series and brought a lot of systems used in modern AAA games that I was glad Zelda avoided before.

very generous food system that trivialize climbing, some puzzle and change of outfits? (arguable for some, not for me, the game is really unbalanced and easy to break)
A curiosity about this item: I didn't die fighting ganon for the first time I faced him because I had 50+ apples and other raw stuff. I didn't even cooked that much but I explored a lot and had a lot of ingredients. Eating in menu is really bad choice imo. Even in twilight princess, an easy Zelda, you used red potions during the fight.

Last edited:

Deleted member 46948

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
I dislike BotW, but there are other games that were lauded and were genuinely shit, unlike BotW (like Heavy Rain).

OP
OP

Deleted member 58846

Banned
Jul 28, 2019
low enemy variety
basic melee combat
lack of challenge (arguable of course but if you are even a little skilled with action rpg the game is a cakewalk except for the first couple of fights against the lynels)
unrewarding combat
not enough rewards for exploration? (breakable weapon, life, stamina, korok seeds, etc.)
samey shrine
shitty story and pg
shitty sidequest
mediocre VA

some are arguable like difficulty or rewarding exploration, but some are very real.
Most of those are arguable, some are flat out wrong.

I do think the voice acting and enemy variety ones are valid criticisms.

I also don't think they are at all affecting my experience with the game even a little bit.

Deleted member 29939

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
low enemy variety
basic melee combat
unrewarding combat
samey shrines
shitty story and pg
shitty sidequest
mediocre VA

... most of this is debatable lol

OP
OP

Deleted member 58846

Banned
Jul 28, 2019
People keep saying "games will be influenced by BotW for decades", but all I see are open worlds influenced by The Witcher 3 instead
BotW came out in 2017. Any game influenced by it won't be out for a while (though we have already started to see its influence in smaller ways in individual mechanics implemented across the board).

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
It says something when so much energy is still put into debating this game's merits. I'll take that as a positive, even if said debate is to argue how it's overrated.

jerk

Nov 6, 2017
Why are you keeping low tier weapons anyways? As you continue through the game you'll fight higher-tier enemies that require more damage, so it's not like you'll be using that farmer's pitchfork in hour 80 of the game. BOTW is even gracious enough to allow you to mount your favorite weapons on the walls of your house. A beautiful, digital display for your digital ice sword to collect digital dust, never to be used again but to be looked upon from time to time lovingly.
I'm not keeping low tier weapons.
or any weapons for that matter-- they keep breaking!

Status
Not open for further replies.