• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Merc_

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
I can't think of a single popular and high selling game that hasn't been called 'overrated'.

It's pretty much a worthless criticism these days.

JangleLuke

Oct 4, 2018
It saddens me how (from what I've gathered here, I'm not giving them clicks) the mention of Skyward Sword is reduced to an awful and thoughtless bait, its praise here seems pretty insincere.

I sure do love when a game that I genuinely enjoyed is reduced to a punching bag

Oct 26, 2017
It might be my favorite game of all time. I thought I had become an old man and would never find a game I really liked again, but BotW proved me wrong. So I don't think it's overrated.

mgrimble2

Aug 21, 2019
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Well this is some perfect timing. I literally just wrapped up this game on the weekend and I have to agree with quite a bit in this article.

I knew about the durability system before I even started it as my friend told me how it worked. I just wasn't expecting it to be that bad. Especially in the early parts of the game weapons are breaking every 2 enemies. The most annoying part is how it breaks up the flow of the combat. Every large enemy or boss battle you are whacking away at an enemy, only to have your weapon break multiple times. Instead of one cohesive combat encounter, you are pausing the game using the quick select menu multiple times which slows everything down.

The story, coming from someone who hasn't played all or even most of the Zelda games, was pretty lackluster. As the article says, everything happened 100 years ago, I have no connection to these characters now. I'm not a fan of the silent protagonist and that just made it even worse. When you see the flashbacks those characters (voiced!) were awesome and fun, but that was once little cutscene before and after each divine beast.

The bosses themselves were pretty status quo and quite easy. Each one has phase 1, then in phase 2 you use a power like the bombs or magnesis, then phase 3 is just back to whacking away at them pausing every 5 seconds to change weapons.

The shrines I thought were not bad. I enjoyed most of them..... except for those stupid motion control ones! Got damn those were annoying. I'm laying in bed flipping my Switch upside down and all around.

I can't believe this game took most of the game of the year awards and Horizon Zero Dawn got snubbed. Really hoping the sequel improves on a ton of the issues. Which reminds me, now that I beat it, I can go watch that reveal trailer!

Oct 26, 2017
Appalachia
Yeah but in the past Zelda was exactly unique in how its format was rarely aped or attempted by other games. I can think of DarkSiders and Arkham City. Those games attempt a structure that has an open hub with contraption-filled dungeons and a boss inside them. Nintendo have been very blue-ocean right down to their hardware strategy. BotW is the most Zelda has taken inspiration from other games and not just intellectual ideas within the Zelda style. I did catch a few Monster Hunter esque features in SS though, with the way the Bazaar felt and the fact that you use monster parts to upgrade gear in there. I imagine Final Fantasy also had its influence on A Link to the Past and their aspiration to also make it a franchise with an epic medieval story. But compared to Ocarina of Time I consider BotW to be so much less on its own feet in what it accomplishes, because it directly applies the idea of the Ubisoft towers and the Far Cry 2 simulations and then spins it in a Nintendo way instead of simply doing it by the book.
Not sure what this has to do with what we were discussing. However this knowledge makes you feel is your opinion and you're entitled to it but it doesn't invalidate others' feelings and I honestly couldn't care less about it because that's not how I analyze media.

datbapple

Banned
Nov 19, 2017
I agree. Among my friends, those who do not care for Zelda games loved it. Those that love Zelda games did not care for it. I found it to be more tedious than fun. Controls were alright, combat was alright, item durability was bad, music was fantastic.

Nov 23, 2017
The people retorting with Final Fantasy VII are making me laugh. Please.

I do think BOTW is a great game though. I'd pick GTA IV as the most overrated game, myself.

Legacy

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I also think it's overrated (but still very good), glad I'm not the only one. It's a 8.5-9/10 game for me

Wind Waker is still my favourite Zelda and the best imo.

mentallyinept

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I can't tell you how much I loathe the term "overrated".

It implies an incredible level of arrogance that somehow an entire industry was hoodwinked or brainwashed and you alone are somehow above it all.

Unless you can point to actual systemic bias, an outright lie portrayed by those in favor of the title, or a *literal conspiracy* nothing is really "overrated".

You just don't care for something that the vast majority of people do.

Nax

Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 10, 2018
It is not overrated. It got the scores it deserved based on many different people's opinions. Whether that was 7/10 or 10/10. It sounds like this publication just doesn't like that many people liked it more than they did.

Charamiwa

Oct 25, 2017
When someone says something is overrated, do they mean that people are wrong for liking something or that they pretend to like it? I never understand the angle of these takes.

Nax

Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 10, 2018
I can't tell you how much I loathe the term "overrated".

It implies an incredible level of arrogance that somehow an entire industry was hoodwinked or brainwashed and you alone are somehow above it all.

Unless you can point to actual systemic bias, an outright lie portrayed by those in favor of the title, or a *literal conspiracy* nothing is really "overrated".

You just don't care for something that the vast majority of people do.
You said it better than I did. But yeah. The term overrated means nothing.

NabiscoFelt

One Winged Slayer
Aug 15, 2019
Hey, one of those people who always angrily comment on "best of the decade" threads about BoTW made an article. That's nice

Eppcetera

Mar 3, 2018
I think I'm ready for the next Zelda game to come out so that people shift their frustrations elsewhere. I found two sentiments quoted from this article ridiculous:

1) "it lacks the cohesion that makes an excellent game"

Breath of the Wild is one of the most cohesive games I've played. I'm impressed by how dedicated the game is to giving the player freedom at all times and how this freedom seeps into most aspects of its design. If someone plays the game and finds it lacks cohesion, I think that says something more about the player's approach to the game and the game's design.

2) "If it were anything other than a Zelda game it would be criticized heavily on these fronts"

Actually, I think the game is criticized more because it is a Zelda game and people have higher standards for the series than they do for most other games. That's why it's so impressive that Breath of the Wild not only met many gamers' high standards but surpassed them.

Related to this notion is the idea in the article that the game only received so much acclaim because it's a Zelda title. Well, sure, it did. Zelda games are high profile releases and receive more coverage (and with that, more reviews) than most series; hence, Breath of the Wild received more acclaim since more people played it (at the same time, it's received more hate because more people have played it). I remember Skyward Sword receiving almost as much praise as Breath of the Wild, but the latter game's positive reception feels more genuine to me since people are far more positive about it two years after release than they were at the same point after Skyward Sword's release.

nextJin

Mar 17, 2018
Georgia
I'm a Sony fanboy in the sense that I really only ever play all Naughty Dog games day 1 and buy most first party offerings (God of War, Spider Man, Horizon, DriveClub, Blood Bourne, Killzone, The Order 1886., even Knack) after release at some point. I don't buy too many third party titles.

That said, I did buy a switch for my kids and got them BotW. I ended up playing it one day and now label BotW as the game of the generation pending TLoU2.

I can't put my finger on it but I've put over 600 hours into it. It needs actual dungeons, a deeper story, more enemy variety and counts, etc.

It's graphics are hard to get around but not terrible, I've played on the PC using emulation and the thought of what BotW2 would look like on PS4 is insane.

I see a lot of clones coming out in the next few years now that it's been out for a few years.

NabiscoFelt

One Winged Slayer
Aug 15, 2019
2) "If it were anything other than a Zelda game it would be criticized heavily on these fronts"

Actually, I think the game is criticized more because it is a Zelda game and people have higher standards for the series than they do for most other games. That's why it's so impressive that Breath of the Wild not only met many gamers' high standards but surpassed them.

Yeah, a lot of the criticism of BoTW comes from it not being "Zelda enough".

If it was it's own game, there's no reason for said criticism to even exist

adumb

Banned
Aug 17, 2019
...hold on

Why are we even arguing about a rubbish piece on a nothing website? This is sub Gaming Bolt garbage.

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Note: I do love the game and also understand that it's not for everyone. Having said that, this is how it feels when people try to argue it's actually just a bad, overrated game:

download-7-53.jpg

Oct 25, 2017
"I don't like it" = It must be overrated!

There's all kinds of games I can't get into and don't understand the praise for. But I'm not about to come in with "overrated" as if my opinion of it is objective and the vast majority of other reviews are wrong.

You can dislike BotW, and there's arguments to be made why you think it's flawed - I dislike a ton of games that have gotten praise. I think I'm just tired of "overrated" in the discourse, I don't think it makes your opinion or argument any more convincing.

petethepanda

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
chicago
The whole "it's not structured or cohesive" argument pretty much boils down to "it's different than other Zelda games," and I totally get why some people are disappointed that it didn't have the stuff they traditionally expect from the series. Like, it's maybe the best game ever made, but I get it.

Oct 27, 2017
It's a Zelda game. Comparing to other Zelda games is totally fair.

And I agree, it's not a very good Zelda game. It's too different and if people like it that's fine but it's not what I wanted out of a Zelda game. It could have still been good. Theopen world was great. The problem was that the open world was basically the entire game. No real dungeons, just a bunch of tiny puzzle rooms spread all over the place. No real metroidvania aspect, as every critical power is given to you in the intro. A very disconnected story. All those things can still totally work within the open world layout but they didn't do that so I just didn't like it.

Voke

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
AGREED

still top 10 games of the gen though, but people commonly referring it as their favorite game of all time?? nah, definitely not. maybe if it came out earlier in the decade, its gameplay formula/loop has been done several times before.

OP
OP

Deleted member 58846

User requested account closure
Banned
Jul 28, 2019
AGREED

still top 10 games of the gen though, but people commonly referring it as their favorite game of all time?? nah, definitely not. maybe if it came out earlier in the decade, its gameplay formula/loop has been done several times before.
So I am wrong if I am referring to Breath of the Wild as my favorite game of all time?

Abdiel

Oct 28, 2017
I actively disliked twilight princess. It felt boring and trite, and I felt like I had to force myself to finish it. Story was a crapshoot.

Botw? I felt nothing. I don't play games to wander around aimlessly. I didn't want a playground, it's not why I enjoy the Zelda series. I realized within several hours what I was in four and I set it down. I don't understand the effusive praise, but I'm not who the game is for. The sole criticism I can level clearly is that the story felt like a skeleton and I wasn't invested in any of the characters shown at all.

Snowybreak

Oct 25, 2017
Just because you don't like something doesn't mean your experience invalidates other people's own experiences. Jesus fucking Christ.

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
How bout the rain/climbing system.
The climbing is what makes the game as open as it is, it's probably the most important key to the game's success. And rain is a piece of adversity you're meant to work around like any other obstacle. It's something you either find a way around, wait out, or improvise a solution with the tools available to you.

Eidan

Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
Any time someone calls something "overrated" I kind of roll my eyes and stop paying attention to them.

Have the confidence to actually critique whatever it is you dislike and not make it about how popular or well received whatever it is you dislike is.

Cloud-Strife

Alt-Account
Banned
Sep 27, 2019
if BOTW 2 doesn't fix all this problems I believe critics will be forced to admit that the game has many flaws and is not the best Zelda game of all times.

OP
OP

Deleted member 58846

User requested account closure
Banned
Jul 28, 2019
if BOTW 2 doesn't fix all this problems I believe critics will be forced to admit that the game has many flaws and is not the best Zelda game of all times.
What problems?

Any time someone calls something "overrated" I kind of roll my eyes and stop paying attention to them.

Have the confidence to actually critique whatever it is you dislike and not make it about how popular or well received whatever it is you dislike is.
Interestingly enough, Jim Sterling's review for this game, which many people hold on to as "fair" criticism, actually commits the cardinal sin of reviewing it against other reviews for it, rather than assessing it on its own terms.

GreenMamba

Oct 25, 2017
Calling a game or movie or whatever "overrated" is criticizing the people who liked it, not the piece itself. One of the worst ways you can go about engaging with anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.