• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Andrea_23

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Yeah, sure.

After all, it is only the _first_ game (I mean... in the videogames history) that has brought together in one package:

- emergent gameplay,
- sandboxed level design,
- physics simulation (and ... 'chemistry'),
- complex artificial intelligences,
- totally dynamic mission design and storytelling.

What a mess : (.

Cornbread78

Oct 25, 2017
Northeast USA
I totally get that, lol. Xenoblade 2 is amazing, by the way, though the character designs did their best to turn me off of it.

That said, I don't think people who like BOTW just do so because of some loyalty to Nintendo.

I think I still have PTSD from Y1 of Switch launch and every other post was about how 10/10 didn't do BOW any justice about how amazing it was and ever post sounded like a corner Ninty evangelist wrote it. Thankfully, I think some of that early Switch stigma has finally died down, but I'm still a little "gaming traumatized" (I say it that way because people have serious trauma issues from real problems out there) from it all. I like my Switch like everyone else, but my word did early Switch and BOTW overthrow Mother Theresa in creating miracles around the world..... my opinion of course, but the game didn't grab me.

Just love what you love man and game on.

giphy.gif

Vampirolol

Dec 13, 2017
I totally get that, lol. Xenoblade 2 is amazing, by the way, though the character designs did their best to turn me off of it.

That said, I don't think people who like BOTW just do so because of some loyalty to Nintendo.
Anyone with a basic understanding of how games, level design and gameplay work can understand how great BOTW is. Then, of course, tastes differ. I got bored by games like Witcher III and Uncharted II but can see what's so great about them... I would never call them "overrated".

Yossarian

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Hello everyone.

'Overrated' basically means 'other people like this thing too much'. Given liking something is entirely subjective and how much one likes something isn't measurable, it's less than useless in telling anyone anything, which is - for my money - the whole point of criticism.

In summary, 'overrated' as the jumping off point or, indeed, focus of criticism is, well, it's pretty fucking stupid.

Thank you for your time.

scabobbs

Oct 28, 2017
People don't agree the game makes any critical missteps.
Every game review I've ever read would consider a bad story (or no story in this games case), poor performance, bad dungeons, a ... controversial weapon system, bad boss fights as negative points. For some reason in this game... we just ignore all that and give it a 10 and call it the GOTY. Makes no sense to me. But what do I know? Clearly I'm wrong on this, I just don't understand why.

Vertpin

Oct 27, 2017
I hate to say it but I agree. BOTW is a decent game, but there's a lot that holds it back. Weapon durability, the boring shrines and non standard temples, as well as a world that is just too big and boring. Please don't hate me lol.

Oct 25, 2017
It has a 97 metacritic score.
For the media it is basically one of the top 10 best games of all gaming history.
What would be an overrated game if not this? You can't rate this game any higher.

On the other hand the user score is 8.5.

If somebody is going to posit a game is "overrated," they better have more concrete evidence then just a user score on one website.

Evidence of poor word of mouth, poor sales, poor long lasting reception, poor or negligible impact on hardware sales etc.

Unfortunately, no one can provide that with BotW because it sold a shit ton of copies, continues to sell well, continues to be loved, and single handedly defined Switch's launch.

Thus, I posit:

The game is rated just fine. Maybe folks just need to better word their criticism. If you don't like it, just say you don't like. And if you don't like it as much as other people, just say that?

I didn't like BotW as much as other people, and would rate it 8/10. Done. It's not hard. I didn't have to use the word overrated because I know opinions differ and I'm not so pretentious as to think my opinion is the main character of a Shonen magazine worthy of all adoration.

Oh that's right, can't get clicks that way.

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I loved BOTW. It was the open ended Zelda I wanted many years earlier (and got heavily criticized for even suggesting). That said, it's a frustrating game to discuss because so many people will freak out if you don't like aspects of it. Sorry, the weapon breaking frequency is horrible.

Thinking it's overrated is perfectly valid but I don't agree with complaints about the lack of story in this article. I never needed or cared to have more than a basic story in the series.

Oct 25, 2017
I do think that it's badly overrated and many of the gushing reviews read like they're from people who have never played an open-world game before BotW, but I don't agree that it's not even a top-five LoZ game.

It is a solid 8.5/10, though, and it's definitely one of the better releases this generation.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Every game review I've ever read would consider a bad story (or no story in this games case), poor performance, bad dungeons, a ... controversial weapon system, bad boss fights as negative points. For some reason in this game... we just ignore all that and give it a 10 and call it the GOTY. Makes no sense to me. But what do I know? Clearly I'm wrong on this, I just don't understand why.
Because having flaws doesn't disqualify a game from getting a 10, because every game ever has flaws. What matters is that for the reviewers in question those flaws had little to no negative impact on their overall experience compared to the games highs. And honestly, I'd much rather play a game with tremendous highs and a few small lows than a game that never does anything particularly poorly, but never does anything particularly great either

o Tesseract

Oct 28, 2017
Imagine thinking BOTW reinvented open world games by copying what Ubisoft doing for years.
Lol why don't trolls like this get banned instantly? Even IF that was an actual argument and not a troll, literally the only thing that it "copies" from Ubi is the towers revealing the map, and even then, they don't function the same and aren't communicated in the same way at all.

But, try again, troll.

OP
OP

Deleted member 58846

User requested account closure
Banned
Jul 28, 2019
Poor performance has never been anything that has affected a game's critical reception (The witcher 3, Dark Souls, Skyrim, Bloodborne)
Bad dungeons would be an issue if they were the emphasis of the content; as it stands, they represent maybe 2-4% of the total content in a gigantic open world, where the point is the open world, and said open world is remarkably well designed.
The weapon system is clearly not controversial, given that most people in fact like it.
Boss fights are meh, no arguments there, but again, clearly not the reason the game is praised to begin with.

You ignore player agency, non-linearity, emergent gameplay, and the extremely well executed sense of exploration, discovery, and adventure in one of the best designed game maps of all time, all of which are reasons for why the game is praised.

That's what you don't understand.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
Criticism inherently involves emotions. People on this website misuse the word criticism; critique does indeed involve the writer examining their feelings for the thing they're critiquing. It is not an impartial thing. And every writer is a different person with different tastes and will come to different conclusions, and therefore while I agree that they should be mindful of the fact many will not see eye-to-eye and it is helpful to be clear on one's tastes, I do not believe this will in practice change how reviews are written on the whole. You're supposed to find reviewers whose tastes align with yours.
I think you are right on some level, and again, not asking for "objectivity" becuase I know that would only be a fallacy waiting to fall apart. And yes, it's silly to try and mask the fact that your messaging about what you experienced is biased by well... your own experience with it, but I can still request more criticality. Some flaws are always highlighted post-mortem and sure those aren't objectively true either, but they sometimes make more and more people go "Yeeeeah, actually now that you mention it." I would simply rather people had the honesty to admit or be wary of such things in their honeymoon than to let themselves ride the wave of "hype!" and give an inflated impression.

I could see BotW end up on the GotD but that will feel more to me as the "Game that got an award because people remember how excited they were about it" rather than "The game that still survived scrutiny on subsequent returns a decade later." Of course, other arguments exists including how BotW ends up impacting what other developers do with their Open World games... because we have an industry where 90% of the content is inspired by its neighbour... Which I don't mind... at all...

SolidChamp

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The OP is not wrong in any of the points he's making. They're all very solid arguments against the game being hailed a "masterpiece".

In roughly 120 hours with game, my thoughts and feelings on BOTW bounce back and forth between complete adoration and total bafflement.

At it's very best, BOTW is exhilarating in how open and freeing the world is. There is no open world game which encourages exploration as much as BOTW. For this reason alone, BOTW succeeds in many respects. It is pure adventure, and it's glorious. The game rewards experimentation; wander in any direction with no purpose and you might find something cool, eventually.

This is why, when it comes to the portions of the game that funnel you into linear, "story-driven" events, things get bogged down in tedium. There's no emotional thrust to the narrative, no sense of urgency to the unfolding plot points due to the anachronistic template they chose upon which to lay the story. Characterizations are thin and rely wholly on exposition. Therefore, there's no one point in time during the story-driven events where I should be compelled to care, and so the linear bits of gameplay become a chore to slog through so that I can get back to the freedom of the open world adventuring. The Divine Beasts are, essentially, just slightly bigger iterations of the myriad of puzzle rooms you're already tackling. The only game mechanic they offer that helps to delineate them from their smaller counterparts is the ability to change the orientation of the room. Yay?

That's not to say the Divine Beasts don't provide moments of "ohhh, so THAT'S how that works!"

The tedium of the Divine Beasts is punctuated by the atrocious boss battles that have zero nuance and have been bested by my basically knocking down xblight Ganon and slashing the fuck out of him. It's really disappointing, especially considering none of these bosses incorporate more than one game mechanic as a strategic means to win.

These sections are wholly unremarkable and hamper the overall presentation of a game that's supposed to be endlessly epic in scope and mythology.

I need not say more about the story or characters, because the centerpieces of the narrative are tied to the beasts, and so I feel I've managed to cover why I feel the elements of the story that are present don't really lend themselves to the world or mythology. It works, to a degree, but it's not a complete success and feels more like an afterthought.

What's really worth talking about when discussing BOTW is obvious: the world. That's what it's all about. And for all of the dynamic and wondrous aspects that are present in this world, there are some major grievances that hold it back from feeling "complete".

Take the posts we see about the "post apocalypse" trope in gaming, and how BOTW offers a vibrant and refreshing take on this. I agree. To an extent.

This version of Hyrule, making its slow recovery from total devastation, is massive, sprawling and beautiful. Terrain is varied. Traversal is fun, relaxing, and oftentimes rewarding.

However, this sprawling expanse comes with a tradeoff; for long, long stretches you can wander without ever finding anything truly remarkable. Yes, the way you interact with the environment has an effect; but to what extent? To what extent is the player influencing the game environment? I blew open a hidden cave buried in rubble. I chopped down some trees for some firewood. I ignited a bomb barrel at an enemy camp by shooting down a flaming lantern.

When I'm not walking through large patches of flat grass, or climbing a mountain to see what might be at the top (50% of the time it's nothing, the other 50% is a Korok seed), what am I actually DOING? Attacking the 125th moblin camp? Finding a shrine?

My biggest hurdle in finding my way to the "GOAT" status that many people bestow upon this game is, what are some truly deep and intricate ways in which the game mechanics affect the world, and vice versa?

Enemy types are extremely limited; almost embarrassingly so (consider Horizon, as the inverse of this). Weather is dynamic and changes frequently, yes, but how much does it really affect the player apart from making climbing pretty much impossible when it rains, or avoiding lightning strikes that are attracted by metal weapons? Does weather force the player to seek shelter? Not really. Are there massive snow storms that cause visibility to be severely limited? Nope. Do the rain storms affect the waters when you're on the open ocean? Probably want to play ACIV for something like that.

This is just one area in which the game is dynamic...on a surface level. It's dynamic...until it isn't.

So the world tells its own little mysterious stories? Bits of the landscape have remnants of a devastated world. Okay. The post-apocalypse has never been more beautiful...or more bereft of detail.

The game world is not detailed (to say nothing of the actual in-game textures being used on the ruins). It's not lined by ruins that have meaningful visual details or hints of lore. They pretty much all look the same, varying only by size.

Last night I found the "Forgotten Temple". I was tracking a shrine which lead me to it. I actually landed on top of the temple. This was probably the most boring bit of walking I've ever done. I had to walk the length of the roof, all the way to the front of the temple where there's a drop off down to the entrance. Every. Single. Bit of that geometry was a prime example of "cut and paste".

What did I find once I was inside the "forgotten temple"? A bunch of Guardians shooting at me which I had to cut down. The shrine was a blessing shrine. And so I was rewarded for surviving the guardians. What else did I find in the temple? Nothing. It's massive. It's empty. There's a single chest containing yet another, rupee, opal, sapphire, amber, etc

The length of the canyon that leads to this temple (and it is one long-ass canyon) plays host to nothing but a few packs of wolves, 6 or so hidden Korok seeds...and that's it.

For nearly ten minutes l walked through this canyon, and when I finally got back to my original path all I could think of was "that's it?"

I had fun exploring, to be sure, but there's not a whole lot more here that makes it anymore dynamic or interactive than the next world, aside from the "go anywhere, anytime" angle.

Your exploration, however, is hindered by the stamina system. In concept, the stamina system lends itself to the survivalist urgency the gameplay boasts. It's great. But it's not doing anything remarkable. It's actually a shame they didn't try to do more with the food/stamina system.

Take MGS3, for example. The hunting and foraging in that game is how I would define "dynamic" or "nuanced". The implementation of this system in MGS3 deserves to be lauded, more so than any one thing BOTW is doing.

In MGS3, the stamina gauge is crucial to Snake's ability to function. Not only does he need to eat in order to keep the stamina gauge up (the very basic execution of the idea found in BOTW), but if his stamina gauge runs low, Snake's abilities take a hit. His stomach growls, and enemies who are close to him will be alerted to his presence. Aiming weapons becomes difficult because he gets "hunger shakes". Soon, his health gauge slowly begins to deplete. Wounds don't heal as fast if he's running on an empty stomach.

THIS is something that, back when Snake Eater was first released, had me feeling like the developers were thinking 2, 3, 4 layers deep.

I've not encountered anything even close to that in my 120 hours with BOTW.

The food and stamina system don't coalesce in any meaningful way.

I've got all of this food...why doesn't Link get hungry?! Lol

It would be sweet if Link had hunger tied to stamina, and so eating occasionally helps to maintain the necessity for food. I could see something really cool where, if you go hungry long enough, Link passes out from exhaustion and when he wakes up he's surrounded by moblins and has to fight (or try to flee) in a weakened state. That kind of shit would really make the food/cooking system meaningful.

This isn't to say that hunting and cooking aren't fun, because they totally fucking are. Very fun.

But to say that any of these mechanics come together in a deep and meaningful way that goes beyond surface-level implementations is hyperbolic. Or maybe I'm just blind.

The game is also held back by baffling technical inconsistencies. I consider the "approach the combat in a number of ways" to be a farce, since the abysmal draw distance doesn't allow me to use the Sheikah Scope to see enemies at their camp until I'm close enough to be spotted by them. This isn't MGS5, to be sure. I can't plan an approach or know the threat a camp is housing because I can't see the fucking moblins due to the draw distance.

I won't go into the button-mashing combat, countless fetch quests (shrine quests are awesome, though), the sparse population of the game world with travelers who pop in and out while only a few feet away as you trot along the road, the godawful disguised Yiga clan members who are fucking EVERYWHERE and get tiresome after your first two dozen (awesome the first few times, now it's just a fucking ridiculous chore)....I have a long list of gripes. The basic enemies are cheap and some of them can take down your hard-earned hearts (a row and a half of them) in just two hits...

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild is still a fantastic game and is best when taken as a straight open-world exploration game, and nothing more. This is the definition of a jack-of-all-trades, master of none. It's still one of my ten best games of the generation, but falls somewhere in the bottom half of that list.

It's still pretty crazy to me that this gets chosen as "the greatest video game of all-time".

The short of it: it's not a masterpiece.

Deleted member 1120

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I love Breath of the Wild, it has things that it doesn't do particularly well that I hope the sequel addresses.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I do think that it's badly overrated and many of the gushing reviews read like they're from people who have never played an open-world game before BotW, but I don't agree that it's not even a top-five LoZ game.

It is a solid 8.5/10, though, and it's definitely one of the better releases this generation.
I really doubt more than 1 or 2 (and even this is questionable) of the professionl game reviewers who gave the game a 10 on metacritic had never played even a single open world game before BotW.

Palehorse

Oct 25, 2017
Victoria
I spent 80 hours on BOTW. Played through 80 shrines, the 4 beasts, etc. Finished it, was happy. Very happy while playing, it was a joy every time I turned it on, and I realized that after 30 years of playing games it was a rare feeling nowadays.

I put it aside for 2 years, now my kids are playing it (instead of just fluffing around when they were younger) and I've restarted it on master mode, and doing the DLC. I'm enjoying it all over again. Nothing overrated for me.

scabobbs

Oct 28, 2017
Poor performance has never been anything that has affected a game's critical reception (The witcher 3, Dark Souls, Skyrim, Bloodborne)
Bad dungeons would be an issue if they were the emphasis of the content; as it stands, they represent maybe 2-4% of the total content in a gigantic open world, where the point is the open world, and said open world is remarkably well designed.
The weapon system is clearly not controversial, given that most people in fact like it.
Boss fights are meh, no arguments there, but again, clearly not the reason the game is praised to begin with.

You ignore player agency, non-linearity, emergent gameplay, and the extremely well executed sense of exploration, discovery, and adventure in one of the best designed game maps of all time, all of which are reasons for why the game is praised.

That's what you don't understand.
Counter-point: the open world, while large and fun to traverse, is empty outside of shrines and hidden acorns. Neato. Also I see way more people that dislike the weapon degradation system than those that like it, not sure what you're on there.

Pancracio17

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Breath of the Wild is still the best open world game ive ever played, entirely due to its world design. I think the most genius part of it was the emphasis on making sure every player is withing arms reach of 3 or more points of interest each catered to different types of players (agressive players go towards camps, explorers towards towers and shrines, social players to towns), and playtesting the hell out of it. The games design is incredibly refined due to it, theres so many things literred throughout the path they know players will take (due to extensive playtesting) and littered them with distractions at every turn and at every hill, just going to point A to point B without veering off the path is impossible.

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
That's like complaining Minecraft is overrated because it has a bad story and bad dungeons. That's just not focus of the game, everything in BotW was designed around player freedom which is the area where it overwhelmingly succeeds and why it's such a masterpiece.

The one point there that's not about that is performance, and that's one aspect which is obviously and objective ding against at the game. However I think it is worth remembering that reviewers were also experiencing this as their first console-size experience on a handheld console at the time, so it's somewhat understandable that "there's some drops" was canceled out by "I can't believe I can play this on an airplane." Those aspects of the review definitely won't age as well though.

tobes231

Prophet of Truth
Jul 10, 2019
Australia
The author also said in the comments: "I abhor identity politics. It's a cancer that's destroying the world. Seriously", so I'm taking his dumb unfounded criticisms with even greater grains of salt than I would've.

OP
OP

Deleted member 58846

Banned
Jul 28, 2019
Counter-point: the open world, while large and fun to traverse, is empty outside of shrines and hidden acorns. Neato. Also I see way more people that dislike the weapon degradation system than those that like it, not sure what you're on there.
You see more people who dislike the weapon system because the ones who do don't point it out.

I didn't have to use the word overrated because I know opinions differ and I'm not so pretentious as to think my opinion is the main character of a Shonen magazine worthy of all adoration.
I think I fractured a rib, lol

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I think you are right on some level, and again, not asking for "objectivity" becuase I know that would only be a fallacy waiting to fall apart. And yes, it's silly to try and mask the fact that your messaging about what you experienced is biased by well... your own experience with it, but I can still request more criticality. Some flaws are always highlighted post-mortem and sure those aren't objectively true either, but they sometimes make more and more people go "Yeeeeah, actually now that you mention it." I would simply rather people had the honesty to admit or be wary of such things in their honeymoon than to let themselves ride the wave of "hype!" and give an inflated impression.

I could see BotW end up on the GotD but that will feel more to me as the "Game that got an award because people remember how excited they were about it" rather than "The game that still survived scrutiny on subsequent returns a decade later." Of course, other arguments exists including how BotW ends up impacting what other developers do with their Open World games... because we have an industry where 90% of the content is inspired by its neighbour... Which I don't mind... at all...
If a flaw is never apparent during your actual time playing the game and only stands out when its explicitly pointed out to you or when you actively look for it, than that flaw clearly doesn't matter much.

Like, anything is going to look worse if you actively spend time looking for flaws and reasons to dislike it

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I hate to say it but I agree. BOTW is a decent game, but there's a lot that holds it back. Weapon durability, the boring shrines and non standard temples, as well as a world that is just too big and boring. Please don't hate me lol.
True. Most boring Zelda I've ever played.

NuclearCake

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Some like the dungeons and would take these alongside the shrines over eight typical drawn out dungeons. Some like the fact that there is not huge focus on story, since it doesn't suit Zelda and it just suffocated many previous 3D entries by getting in the way of gameplay and destroying the pacing. Some might not hate the weapon breaking system. It's not something a reviewer would necessarily consider a negative because it's not a objectively bad system if the game is designed with it in mind.

The performance complaint has been mentioned in several reviews but it's just not enough to significantly decrease the score.

How is this stuff hard to understand?

Abominuz

Oct 29, 2017
Netherlands
For me the game was really boring and i did not understand the hype and praise. Maybe it is because i dislike open world games with a lot of filler. Give me a semi open world like the last games.

Oct 25, 2017
I really doubt more than 1 or 2 (and even this is questionable) of the professionl game reviewers who gave the game a 10 on metacritic had never played even a single open world game before BotW.

I definitely didn't claim that they didn't; I just said that their reviews read as such. They were breathless (no pun intended) about how innovative the openness of the world was when honestly, BotW is a very good iteration on a lot of open-world games that came before it. The way that it tackled physics was definitely interesting and fresh compared to other open-world games - probably, it was the freshest-feeling open-world game in that regard since Red Faction: Guerilla and the "break everything" hammer.

But a lot of what BotW did was done elsewhere, and many of those reviews didn't do a great job of placing the game in context of what open-world games had come before it, IMO.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
I mean from a publication that still thinks that Skyward Sword is the best Zelda game it makes sense.
If we're gonna define a game being overrated by the delta between critical consensus and user reviews, I'm pretty sure there's a lot of games out there with a bigger difference than 9.7 to 8.5.
It also sold a shitton and is still selling really well.
At the end of the day it's gonna end up selling double what any other Zelda game sold, word of mouth is THAT good.
I'd say the public absolutely adore the game.
I don't give a shit about GTA VI but I'm not gonna claim it's somehow the most overrated game of all time because I don't give a shit about it either.

Oct 27, 2017
OKC
I'm not a huge fan of BOTW but I'd still nominate maybe Skyrim or Ocarina of Time over it as the most overrated games of all time.

OP
OP

Deleted member 58846

Banned
Jul 28, 2019
I mean how can you prove this? I can just say from what I've read in reviews and fan reaction, I see a lot more folks that speak about hating that system than I read compliments on it.
Because if most people hated the central gameplay loop of the game, then the game wouldn't have the overwhelmingly positive reception it does...

Annoying Old Party Man

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Wait, this person says Skyward Sword is the best Zelda game ever? Arlighty...

Super Mario Odyssey was that year's overrated Nintendo game, imo. BoTW is a trailblazer for the industry and the series.

But ff7 was a generational leap for the genre. While lots of other jrpgs were coming out at the time, most of the major ones i can think of where still using the 3/4 top down look at the floor strategy of the last gen. It can almost be the sole reason why JRPGs flourished in that generation.

BOTW was 5 years late to an open world trend.

Generational leaps don't happen any more - that's why it's so difficult for something like BoTW to appear. The game breaks the Zelda convention so comfortably and with such grace while delivering an open world design class to pretty much every open world game out there. Compare this to the clumsiness of the latest FF game and you can understand what makes it so special.

En-ou

Oct 27, 2017
Feeling a game evokes will dispel all of that. Some ppl are immune to the organic feeling some games have and so they don't see it.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I mean how can you prove this? I can just say from what I've read in reviews and fan reaction, I see a lot more folks that speak about hating that system than I read compliments on it.
It's a hard thing to gauge in general because people who feel strongly about things are more likely to bring them up period. If most players didn't mind the weapons breaking but didn't absolutely love it either, they'd obviously not be compelled to bring it up on the internet. I think what can be said with certainty is that most people who played the game don't think it's a big enough issue that it actively stopped the game from being fun or a masterpiece in their eyes

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
If a flaw is never apparent during your actual time playing the game and only stands out when its explicitly pointed out to you or when you actively look for it, than that flaw clearly doesn't matter much.
Unless someone points it out and you realize you agree with it. Just saying. I have so many games I were enjoying and finding to be amazing. All it takes to burst the bubble is one realization about the larger structure, like becoming self-aware and losing interest in toys as a teenager. And on some level you can zoom out on any video game and find how ultimately pointless it is, but a lot of really good games have so many layers that it takes the biggest cynic to ever fully dismiss the whole experience over it. I think BotW is great, but as that "97/100" game I find it actually flabbergasting that we have such an inflated view of its achievements. I would hope I'm missing something but I feel like I realized all the same positives about the game as most of those reviewers did but then also coming out of it with a question of: "...And then what?" It feels like there is a catch but most people are oblivious and just enjoyed it.

And I'm sure y'all had that experience with something. I simply expected more from BotW than what it ultimately had in it.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
You can probably just run a poll and watch that opinion gets destroyed as quickly as a tree branch being slammed against a steel shield. It's one of those things that the extremely small, but extremely loud vocal minority loves to shout about despite not understanding how BOTW's weapon cycling works.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Unless someone points it out and you realize you agree with it. Just saying. I have so many games I were enjoying and finding to be amazing. All it takes to burst the bubble is one realization about the larger structure, like becoming self-aware and losing interest in toys as a teenager. And on some level you can zoom out on any video game and find how ultimately pointless it is, but a lot of really good games have so many layers that it takes the biggest cynic to ever fully dismiss the whole experience over it. I think BotW is great, but as that "97/100" game I find it actually flabbergasting that we have such an inflated view of its achievements. I would hope I'm missing something but I feel like I realized all the same positives about the game as most of those reviewers did but then also coming out of it with a question of: "...And then what?" It feels like there is a catch but most people are oblivious and just enjoyed it.

And I'm sure y'all had that experience with something. I simply expected more from BotW than what it ultimately had in it.
I can agree with a flaw that was pointed out later and still argue that it didn't have a major effect on my experience while playing the game. I'll readily admit to many of BotW's flaws, I just don't think they ultimately mattered much because it's strengths were so overwhelming that I barely ever paid them mind

Status
Not open for further replies.