• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cornbread78

Oct 25, 2017
Northeast USA
User banned (3 days): Console warring, trolling, history of similar behavior.
saying BOTW is the greatest game ever is like an Era staple, man.

Your not doing it right if your not shilling for Ninty and BOTW.

Aaron D.

Oct 25, 2017
"Overrated" is legit one of my least favorite words in entertainment circles and beyond.

The term is self-important and narcissistic. An elitist mentality that presumes one knows better than the dirty masses.

Not for you? No problem.

Not for you and you need to crap on others who enjoy? Get over yourself.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
And yet they're called "critics". Anyone can do something and say "I liked it. Nuff said. 10/10" and that's really what I'm complaining about here. If fans of enough series attachment and love can say "I didn't like this and that," and "I liked that part but the last game did X thing better" then the "critics" that blurt out a mindless 10/10 because they had an impulse in their brain that goes like "Woof! I like game, 10/10, like a happy dog! Woof!" is not good criticism.
I don't think you get how criticism works. There is no such thing as objective criticism, and a good review is not some weird checklist of good things and bad things with no context as to how such things affected your own personal experience. A review score that doesn't actually reflect the experience the reviewer actually had with the game is absolutely worthless.

Nov 1, 2017
FL, United States
I replayed it right before BOTW came out and i just ended up hating the game even more than i did in my initial playthrough.

tenor.gif

Not a big fan of the art design and the motion controls don't hold up as well as I remember.

Puffy

Banned
Dec 15, 2017
"Overrated" is legit one of my least favorite words in entertainment circles and beyond.

The term is self-important and narcissistic. An elitist mentality that presumes one knows better than the dirty masses.

Not for you? No problem.

Not for you and you need to crap on others who enjoy? Get over yourself.
My thoughts exactly

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I've always thought this to an extent. It's one of the most meh Zelda games anyways. Only saving grace is its amazing physics and the fact that it revitalized and reinvented some core mechanics for the series. Everything else from world design to "dungeons" feels pretty average. Not to say it wasn't fun for a bit.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
It's going to be topping GotG and GotD lists next year, we've already seen the start of it.

meanwhile belda and "honeymoon phase will end any day now!" will keep persisting somehow lol

ZiZ

Oct 27, 2017
BotW is my favorite game of all time. It made me feel like a kid again. So I guess I disagree.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
I don't think you get how criticism works. There is no such thing as objective criticism, and a good review is not some weird checklist of good things and bad things with no context as to how such things affected your own personal experience
That being said I do think paid "critics" are not being critical at all, and I'm not asking for objectivity, I'm asking for criticism as opposed to inflated emotions. There's always been critics capable of being more impartial thinking and considering all the ifs and buts. The biggest contribution a reviewer can have is to consider how other people may find their experience rather than gushing about what they felt gazing on their own navel. A critic's entire job is to inform an audience about what they can expect from an experience based on their verdict of it, so they can't just be like "OMG, BEST GAME EVER, HYPE!" which I think many IGN, GameSpot, Kotaku etc. critics were, and generally are.

Omeganex9999

Oct 25, 2017
London
I mentioned it in another thread recently, but I didn't play HL2 until the Orange Box and by then FPS had long surpassed anything HL2 was doing. When I think back to my playthrough of HL2, the only two things I can recall are "fugging hell the pacing is horrible in this game" and "fugging hell the way this game does cutscenes is immensely worse than a traditional cutscene."

Oh, and I also remember thinking a lot about how I thought the gravity gun in Elebits on Wii was better than the gravity gun in Half-Life 2 lol

Well, yeah, some games simply don't age well. HL2 t was fantastic when it came out, there was nothing like it. I tried to play it again a few years ago and yep, you can definitely feel how dated its mechanics are.

The first Half Life is much worse and I remember having a lot of fun when it came out. Still, those games did affect gaming as a whole. That's why we don't (normally) re-review games that came out several generations ago.

Oct 26, 2017
Appalachia
You can tell how far we have left to go in media discourse when people are like "well I didn't really like it so I agree". Everything is still a function of "I liked it/didn't like it" to most of y'all and that's depressing.
It's like if Maroon 5 was called the greatest Pop band of the year. Could be true but then you look back at Songs About Jane and think about what could've been if they didn't sell out.
This is totally off topic, but I had read somewhere that Maroon 5 themselves claimed they were determined from early on to be the "best disco band" of the era. Which I think males your point lol

Deleted member 51789

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 9, 2019
And yet they're called "critics". Anyone can do something and say "I liked it. Nuff said. 10/10" and that's really what I'm complaining about here. If fans of enough series attachment and love can say "I didn't like this and that," and "I liked that part but the last game did X thing better" then the "critics" that blurt out a mindless 10/10 because they had an impulse in their brain that goes like "Woof! I like game, 10/10, like a happy dog! Woof!" is not good criticism.
Yeah, that would be bad criticism but I highly doubt the most well-regarded outlets (or even the less well regarded ones) did that.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
That being said I do think paid "critics" are not being critical at all, and I'm not asking for objectivity, I'm asking for criticism as opposed to inflated emotions. There's always been critics capable of being more impartial thinking and considering all the ifs and buts. The biggest contribution a reviewer can have is to consider how other people may find their experience rather than gushing about what they felt gazing on their own navel.
Trying to guess how other people might react as part of your ultimate conclusion is pointless and stupid because everyone reacts differently to different things and even for people I know well on a personal level it's not like I can know with absolute certainty that they'll like or dislike something, or exactly how certain things will affect their experiences. A good review should point out the flaws and things that might bother other people, and most BotW reviews did. Plenty of the reviews brought up the framerate, even if they ultimately didn't dock the score because of it. I'm guessing you didn't actually read the reviews and are just judging based on scores, the least valuable part of the reviews though

GymWolf86

Banned
Nov 10, 2018
BotW is a game where the journey is fun, but the destination (shrine, battle hut, divine beast, korok seed, final boss) is almost always a letdown given how repetitive they are. And once coming to that realization, the journeying lost its magic.

(My favorite is also Skyward Sword)
I can get behind this way of thinking.

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
I played Breath of the Wild for over 200 hours and i started a new playthrough last month. I really like the game but i see it as more of a proof of concept. A big test with some lovely ideas.
Simply this. I really think the game will aged poorly because of that.
I always said the shrines are the proof the game isn't coherent. They made an awesome map design and allow you a lot of interaction with the world. But they failed to mixed to two together, so they created virtual space to put their puzzle in.

I just finished Outer Wilds and, o boi, that is an open world with everything design in it.

So, if they managed to keep map design and put all puzzle in it, it will be full packaged.

sleepnaught

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Can't disagree more. BotW kickstarted my love for gaming after many years of declining interest in the hobby. Over 300 hours and counting. I think calling any game "overrated" is extremely silly. I don't understand the praise for a lot of 1st party Sony titles, but I'm not about to call any of them overrated just because they're not for me.

OP
OP

Deleted member 58846

Banned
Jul 28, 2019
Sorry. I couldn't make if off the plateau in BOTW before I moved on to Xenoblade Chronicles 2. It was the best game transition I can remember for me, lol.
I totally get that, lol. Xenoblade 2 is amazing, by the way, though the character designs did their best to turn me off of it.

That said, I don't think people who like BOTW just do so because of some loyalty to Nintendo.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
Trying to guess how other people might react as part of your ultimate conclusion is pointless and stupid. A good review should point out the flaws and things that might bother other people, and most BotW reviews did. Plenty of the reviews brought up the framerate, even if they ultimately didn't dock the score because of it. I'm guessing you didn't actually read the reviews and are just judging based on scores, the least valuable part of the reviews though
Granted, it's probably not anyone's hobby to read 75 written articles in their entirety but I digress.

I just watched some of GameSpot and IGN's coverage and found my own experience to ask a lot of questions they didn't even seem to have registered, and yeah, that's probably on me, but I feel whenever you see people scrutinize BotW they come of a similar mindset and a lot of people, who came to expect something more substantial from it, were slightly misled by a lot of inflated praise of the things the game does do well. But they disregard things besides the obvious (technical issues) that might be flaws - because it's way more monumental to post a review that calls this game "The best game maybe in the coming decade!" than it is to admit that the game is a solid foundation that can be perfected with time, and that currently it's great but not the best thing since sliced bread.

And yeah, opinions opinions, but I'm making a plea for people to play while expecting something maybe more ambitious than just wandering aimlessly around a game-world. I know that's all some people want, and simplicity is a good thing", Stupid!". Why? Because previous Zeldas could do it. The biggest substance you can find in BotW happens in your head, and that will vary greatly from person to person.

But I digress.

Jobbs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's not the most overrated game of all time, but it's in my opinion quite overrated. I spent 90 hours on it and did most of its meaningful content and had my ups and downs with it -- ultimately I think it deserves a 7 or an 8 out of 10. I love the overall intention of it, but it just falls too short in too many areas. I only finished it because of the hype and pedigree and moment of history we were in, if it wasn't zelda and it wasn't being given 10/10s by many publications I wouldn't have have played more than about 20 hours

Leviathan

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Tearing down BOTW has become the industry's new favorite way to pump up future games that steal its formula and improve upon it. I've seen this movie before.

When the game came out, people couldn't put it down, and even non-gamers couldn't put it down. It's a classic, a masterpiece, and moved the bar. It isn't for everyone, and has its flaws. Can we please move on?
I mean, as long as people continue to put it on Best of All Time and GotY lists, it's going to get discussed, positive or negative. You make it sound like no one's talking about it until it gets criticized, but even (especially) on Era, it gets praised and brought up non-stop. Even you just made an extremely subjective series of claims about it and we can respond to that.

The conversation is ongoing and criticism can be as well.

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
If this was an indie game, it would never get a 10/10. It is because it's a LoZ game. 🤷🏾‍♀️
If BotW were an indie game it would be one of the most impressive creative feats of all time.

Even ignoring quality, that's a truly absurd amount of game to be put out by an indie team. Then looking at how polished and open it is, that game would be like all the praise Hollow Knight gets x1000. It wouldn't get a 10/10, it would get like a 17/10.

alr1ght

Oct 25, 2017
They tried to make a "Nintendo" open world game but leaned way hard into the "open world" part, and not enough "Nintendo." It was terribly boring to me in the ~10 hours I've played of it.

Altairre

Oct 25, 2017
It really is such a stupid fucking word.
Discussions that are initiated by the notion of something being "overrated" seldom turn out to be productive or interesting ones. If you have something new or insightful to add to the discussion of a game then do it by centering your argument around the issues or aspects you want to address instead of starting out by sneering at everyone who enjoyed a game more than you did or rated it more highly than you feel it deserved. But hey, nuance on the internet is difficult I guess...

SweetVermouth

Banned
Mar 5, 2018
I was disappointed by BotW too, not initially but when trying to replay it. Replayability is very, very important to me and replaying BotW feels like a chore. I also dislike other parts of it. It is still a better game than Skyward Sword though.
All this Skyward Sword hatred hurts. It's probably the best Zelda game around and nobody appreciates it for some reason. Seriously, go back and replay it and you'll realise how good it actually is.
I did before BotW came out and it's the first Zelda game I had to quit because it sucks so bad. I can't explain how someone can play this game and not be constantly bothered to death by it.

scabobbs

Oct 28, 2017
This is how I feel about the game as well. I simply don't understand why it gets a free pass for so many critical missteps. I mean the freaking boss fights are all the same damn thing with 1 more mechanic added, and the final "final" boss is one of the biggest jokes I've ever seen. Is it a good game? Yes. It it a great game? No.

Oct 26, 2017
Appalachia
That being said I do think paid "critics" are not being critical at all, and I'm not asking for objectivity, I'm asking for criticism as opposed to inflated emotions. There's always been critics capable of being more impartial thinking and considering all the ifs and buts. The biggest contribution a reviewer can have is to consider how other people may find their experience rather than gushing about what they felt gazing on their own navel. A critic's entire job is to inform an audience about what they can expect from an experience based on their verdict of it, so they can't just be like "OMG, BEST GAME EVER, HYPE!" which I think many IGN, GameSpot, Kotaku etc. critics were, and generally are.
Criticism inherently involves emotions. People on this website misuse the word criticism; critique does indeed involve the writer examining their feelings for the thing they're critiquing. It is a purely impartial thing. And every writer is a different person with different tastes and will come to different conclusions, and therefore while I agree that they should be mindful of the fact many will not see eye-to-eye and it is helpful to be clear on one's tastes, I do not believe this will in practice change how reviews are written on the whole. You're supposed to find reviewers whose tastes align with yours.

OP
OP

Deleted member 58846

Banned
Jul 28, 2019
This is how I feel about the game as well. I simply don't understand why it gets a free pass for so many critical missteps. I mean the freaking boss fights are all the same damn thing with 1 more mechanic added, and the final "final" boss is one of the biggest jokes I've ever seen. Is it a good game? Yes. It it a great game? No.
People don't agree the game makes any critical missteps.

Unkindled

Nov 27, 2018
Link to the Past is the best Zelda game but BotW isn't overrated. It's just not the best Zelda game.

Status
Not open for further replies.