• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Common Knowledge

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I see the detractors are getting more and more desperate as the honeymoon period for this game continues on and on.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It's overrated, but not by that much.

Most overrated games of all time is probably Shadow of Mordor or Skyrim.

OP
OP

Deleted member 58846

User requested account closure
Banned
Jul 28, 2019
The best part is the comments section of this article, where this author is proclaiming that they're the only site that doesn't give free passes to gaming companies, and call it as they see it.

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
It's a phenomenal game, brilliant even, and while I don't think it's overrated overall, some people definitely overrate & overstate its level of innovation in Open World design. Which isn't all that surprising given how many new or occasional open world players it attracted.

Rover

Oct 25, 2017
People's criticisms of BOTW is why it's so hard for videogames to break away from sequels and remakes.

QuantumZebra

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nah I dislike BotW but that title still belongs to Final Fantasy VII.

H9NXnyO.gif

fourfourfun

Oct 27, 2017
England
Obviously cooking recipes you have already discovered should be saved to a list where you can click on it while standing on a pot and given all the ingredients are in your inventory it should make that dish quickly.

This cannot work due to permutations.

I want to make a mixed fruit dish one apple, one banana. I want to make a mixed fruit dish four apples, one banana. Same end result, different heart makeup. That's without having buff variants of each dish. You'd have a huge list of items. But I get what you want, a bit like how Skyrim does alchemy/cooking.

I like the idea of quick-loadouts for armour though. That's a goodie.

Soul Skater

Oct 25, 2017
It feels to me like most of the time when I read about why someone really dislikes this game it comes off as they just couldn't get passed the item durability for some reason and it annoyed them so much they started to rack up complaints from there on out

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
I'd say Mario Odyssey benefitted from generous review scores more than BoTW did personally, not that it makes any difference to anything

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Wrong. Link: https://www.metacritic.com/browse/games/score/metascore/all/all/filtered
I always said the "media" score is overrated, not user score.

1. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (N64)
    99​
    • User: 9.1
    • Nov 23, 1998
  2. Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2 (PS)
    98​
    • User: 7.5
    • Sep 20, 2000
  3. Grand Theft Auto IV (PS3)
    98​
    • User: 7.5
    • Apr 29, 2008
  4. SoulCalibur (DC)
    98​
    • User: 8.6
    • Sep 8, 1999
  5. Grand Theft Auto IV (X360)
    98​
    • User: 7.9
    • Apr 29, 2008
  6. Super Mario Galaxy (WII)
    97​
    • User: 9.0
    • Nov 12, 2007
  7. Super Mario Galaxy 2 (WII)
    97​
    • User: 9.1
    • May 23, 2010
  8. Red Dead Redemption 2 (XONE)
    97​
    • User: 7.6
    • Oct 26, 2018
  9. Grand Theft Auto V (XONE)
    97​
    • User: 7.8
    • Nov 18, 2014
  10. Grand Theft Auto V (PS3)
    97​
    • User: 8.3
    • Sep 17, 2013
  11. Grand Theft Auto V (X360)
    97​
    • User: 8.3
    • Sep 17, 2013
  12. Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2 (DC)
    97​
    • User: 6.1
    • Nov 6, 2000
  13. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Switch)

GTA V appears 3 times just because it was released in various plataforms.
Same for GTA IV, 2 times.

If you remove it, Zelda would be number 10.
I left out the ones that appeared multiple times, picked the ones that had the highest score and moved on.

"They couldn't have rated it any higher, yet the user socre is 8.5"

Of course you used the user score as an arugment to why it's overrated lol. Get lost with your nonsense please.

Barahir_mjh

Feb 18, 2018
I actually like Skyward Sword (or at least parts of it, like the level design in the desert is brilliant) more than most people, but this is just such fluff:
Skyward Sword sets the foundation for the entire Legend of Zelda saga. Its story is the most in-depth in the Zelda series, and it utilizes the Wii's motion plus capabilities, allowing for true motion controls, which was incredibly satisfying and immersive. The game also featured some incredible bosses (especially the final boss) and the dungeons were very well designed. The puzzles took advantage of the motion controls and put a new spin on what a puzzle really was in Zelda, which was a really cool and defining aspect of the game. Combat within itself became a puzzle, which is a first for the Zelda series; it's so immersive. You are Link. You grow on a spiritual journey as Link grows. It's one of the few games where you truly feel immersed in the game as Link in every aspect, which is incredibly powerful. The world isn't connected, but each area is so dense and ripe for exploration. Skyward Sword truly is The Legend of Zelda, and its story is the most intriguing, complex, and immersive story in the series.

"You are LInk. You grow on a spiritual journey as Link grows." Come on. And the story has its good points, but feels like it's trying to be more epic and high-stakes than it actually is.

Sep 21, 2019
BotW, like Mario Odyssey, is definitely overrated. It is a great game, but it isn't a masterpiece. I would give it a 9/10. I had issues with the lack of enemy variety as well as the flimsy story and pretty repetitive dungeon design.

It's definitely a great game, but it in no way is even a top 10 game of all time, imo.

Sorel

Oct 27, 2017
Absolutely overrated. It's a neat game don't get me wrong but after a few hours it becomes a boring and empty feeling adventure devoid of any real feeling of accomplishment with mediocre dungeons. Shrines are mostly pretty tame and acceptable, but it really didn't give me that same feeling of excitement and wonder other entries in even the same franchise have given me before.

Music is incredible though.
Yeah I kinda feel the same. If I were to describe BotW for me I would say "meaningless', everything is so fucking meaningless. The worst is that I played it right after Nier Automata so the quality between the two works felt so immense. BotW is just a toy and I need more than that.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever™
Sep 24, 2019
It's a phenomenal game, brilliant even, and while I don't think it's overrated overall, some people definitely overrate & overstate its level of innovation in Open World design. Which isn't all that surprising given how many new or occasional open world players it attracted.
They successfully created an enormous open world where every square inch teases the player's curiosity with nothing more than its layout of hills, cliffs, valleys, rivers, mountains, towers, camps, and lakes. The only waypoints that exist are the ones you place yourself. The game is brilliantly designed so that if reach a vantage point, you will see something curious in every single direction you look. It's a triumph in open-world design. It's an open-world that makes you actually want to explore it, rather than follow a pinpoint.

Deleted member 426

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's one of the greatest games ever made, so I don't think it's overrated. But as with all Zelda games the people who praise it are also generally toxically defensive about the game.

Bushido

Senior Game Designer
Verified
Feb 6, 2018
It is my favorite game of all time as no other game in the past 2 decades has provided me with a similar sense of wonder, exploration and discovery, plus it managed to evoke similar feelings like experiencing and devouring Ocarina of Time over christmas 1998.

So...I disagree, but I also learned to not care about all these daily BotW hot-takes anymore.

Last edited:

K Samedi

Oct 27, 2017
I hate it when people say that because it's Zelda, it's rated so high. I don't think that's true at all and its a legitimate masterpiece in game design. You might not like the style or story or whatever, but the game is good nonetheless. I don't mind people or reviewers not liking it (like for example Jim Sterling) but I do think acting as an authority on the subject and saying fans hyped it up is silly.

Kemono

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
I strongly believe we'll see this kind of statement more and more over the next years. Especially after Breath of the WIld 2 launches and fixes many of the first ones problems.

I played Breath of the Wild for over 200 hours and i started a new playthrough last month. I really like the game but i see it as more of a proof of concept. A big test with some lovely ideas.

Not a good Zelda game but a promising look into the future of the franchise.

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I'd say Mario Odyssey benefitted from generous review scores more than BoTW did personally, not that it makes any difference to anything
Odyssey was one of my biggest gaming disappointments in years. I could co-sign this. I didn't care for what BotW did but I still think it's high quality, while I also didn't care for what Odyssey was doing and I think it missed the execution on even that for the most part.

Deleted member 2791

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Belda? Never heard of that term.

It was when Zelda BOTW's review embargo lift up in the old site. Someone came up, after seeing that everyone gave 9 and 10/10s, that it's only getting those scores because of the brand name and if it was called The Legend of Belda it wouldn't get nearly as much.

IamFlying

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 6, 2019
Its just a dumb clickbaity article.

Are people really fall for that still?

And yes, BotW is the greatest game of all time, obviously.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It's not even the most overrated game of 2017, let alone all time

LumberPanda

Feb 3, 2019
Nah. It's got the best dungeons, best combat, best story, and best bosses out of any of the Zelda games before or since
That's exactly what I mean, it's the best Zelda game (from OoT to SS) but it completely lacks the magic and sense of adventure that the original NES game captured in order to be that.

It's like if Maroon 5 was called the greatest Pop band of the year. Could be true but then you look back at Songs About Jane and think about what could've been if they didn't sell out.

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
The legend of belda fallacy persists. People need to stop with that nonsense. You can dislike the game, obviously, but slapping a different label on it won't change the quality.

OP
OP

Deleted member 58846

Banned
Jul 28, 2019
I strongly believe we'll see this kind of statement more and more over the next years. Especially after Breath of the WIld 2 launches and fixes many of the first ones problems.

I played Breath of the Wild for over 200 hours and i started a new playthrough last month. I really like the game but i see it as more of a proof of concept. A big test with some lovely ideas.

People have been saying this for 2.5 years. Meanwhile, the game won the Game of the Year convincingly months after its release, placed on multiple greatest of all time games list, and is now topping game of the decade lists as well (which is what seems to have prompted this piece as a retaliation).

This mythical "end of the honeymoon" for BotW people keep claiming will happen, won't. We're long past that. It may be time to accept most people do in fact love the game and think it's among the greatest of all time.

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017

Most of the things that get brought up as "problems" in Breath of the Wild are intentional game design decisions, made to adapt Zelda to an open world. Item durability, lack of dungeons, lack of story, lack of dungeon items, lack of enemy variety--these all were there on purpose and contribute to what makes BotW "tick."

I would be surprised if many of these are changed significantly for BotW2, and I expect it'll do worse in reviews/word of mouth because everyone expects these to be "fixed."

balgajo

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Agree about botw though I see a lot of potential in some of the news things it brought. At the same it threw away a lot of things that made Zelda unique and stepped in the generic game design field.

About Skyward Sword the game does a lot of wrong things. But controls(worked well with me) are my favorite in the series. Controlling sword felt really good.

Spacejaws

"This guy are sick" of the One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
My thoughts are that it's an amazing game, definitely not bad, definitely not mediocre, however the praise it gets as this universal game of the generation or best game ever made, is something that I have a hard time really seeing.
  • The sidequests are extremely forgettable.
  • It lacked some of the core dungeon exploration of previous Zelda games.
  • There is a serious lack of weapon/reward variety. Getting a new weapon rarely feels rewarding when you know it's going to break shortly after.
  • Monster camps and enemy models are rehashed or at least feel rehashed many times throughout the world.
  • Link can sometimes control badly by climbing onto things you don't want him to.
  • Some people consider the no-icon map design revolutionary despite being done by Morrowind beforehand.
A fantastic game, but with these flaws, I just don't see why people find it as this magnum opus, even over past Zelda games.
Pretty much share these sentiments but I'll add that for me the Shrines being one of the key elements to encourage you to explore, I never really had fun with them. Some fairly forgettable physics puzzles. God forbid I find a motion control one please delete this mentality from BotW2.

I enjoyed it and don't find any of the quotes in the OP strange. I started off being amazed and thinking I could understood why people lauded this game as a top game of all time but a few hours after leaving the Plateau nothing really perked me back up to those levels and instead I found my interest waning and struggling to find reason to explore and flat out avoid all combat when I could. I enjoyed the sequences leading up to the Divine Beasts but the beasts themselves felt a bit like Shrine 2.0.

I agree the game is overrated. I'd still say I enjoyed it but I don't have any desire to play it again and I don't think I'll jump into the sequel from the get go either.

Sasaud

Oct 28, 2017
The game was great.

I think the important thing that this little game did was to grow the franchise to new levels never seen before in both scope and fanbase, i believe the sequel is gonna be better in every way possible.

Jahranimo

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
It was when Zelda BOTW's review embargo lift up in the old site. Someone came up, after seeing that everyone gave 9 and 10/10s, that it's only getting those scores because of the brand name and if it was called The Legend of Belda it wouldn't get nearly as much.
Ah I remember this now. Man, some people really get riled up about certain Nintendo things.

The game has flaws but is mostly fantastic. Using that argument is just....man do better with your criticisms lol.

Deleted member 42102

Banned
Apr 13, 2018
BotW was my first Zelda game and I found it extremely boring before giving it away to a friend. However, Rockstar is still out here making video games so I can't say BotW is the MOST overrated. Can't think of a Rockstar story mode I've finished since San Andreas & Bully. And as others have said FF7 is pretty overrated in it's own right and let's not even get started on Pokemon.

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
I struggle with this one. I largely agree with a lot of the points being made. I personally agree that it is overrated game. However, I still think it is an 8/10. So, I still think it is a damn fine game. I think Skyrim and Metal Gear Solid 4, on the other hand, are legitimately pretty bad. Those games are heavily praised, too. So, I sorta feel like they are both MUCH better candidates.

The rhetoric around BotW is calming down. I think people are already far more reasonable about it. So that also takes some gas out of the engine for me.

Also, this reads like something I would write here. It is a quasi-rant. I think journalists should hold themselves to a higher standard than that. Editorials can be spicy, sure; but this isn't super productive, is it?

Onikage

Feb 21, 2018
I left out the ones that appeared multiple times, picked the ones that had the highest score and moved on.

"They couldn't have rated it any higher, yet the user socre is 8.5"

Of course you used the user score as an arugment to why it's overrated lol. Get lost with your nonsense please.

I really don't understand you.

All I am saying is that the media went overboard on Zelda BoTW as it did many times with other games at launch.
Then I showed you that for the media, Zelda is the 10th best game in the world.

In this list you can also see that Soul Calibur is the 4th best game in history. Really? Soul Calibur?
What about GTA 4? Tony Hawk's?

Usually the media hype a game, gets it overrated, and with time the user score gives us a much more accurate feeling of the general public about the game.

The top games of all time make much more sense based on user score than metascore: https://www.metacritic.com/browse/games/score/userscore/all/all/filtered?sort=desc

Yes, most games on your list are overrated. The user scores you posted are much more accurate than the hyped numbers of the media.

Now, if you agree that Soul Calibur, GTA 4 and Tony Hawk's are not overrated and are the most brilliant games in all gaming history, that is on you.

Nov 18, 2017
Thats a funny way of spelling RDR2?

If you already dislike RDR2 then please swap it with whatever would annoy you more in any replies, pls & thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.