• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Won

Oct 27, 2017
Well this seems to be a fun game to play, so I'm now definitely curious what kind of score Skyward Sword would get without the Zelda name attached to it.

Leviathan

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
That is an overstatement, but not an egregious one. As merely the skeleton of a great game and only a good game itself, it is definitely among the most overrated, but I hesitate to say it is the most.

I only think it rises to the top spot when people try to suggest that it is the best game of all time, or the game of its year. Otherwise, there are worse examples.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
I have to be honest, I have never actually seen people criticize BotW (I mean this in a good way, because it deserves its plaudits).
You were there in the last 4 threads I saw about BotW and while the majority thinks it's the masterpiece it's lauded as, you must've seen "criticism" because you quoted me and I saw plenty of other dissenters.

How come people could be honest about Mario Odyssey, going as far as to create a "Dissenters only" thread and not BotW? There's clearly a vocal minority of them any thread I read through, including this one and including myself. Also critics like George Weidmann and Jim Sterling (Super Bunnyhop and Jimquisition) Nintendo Voice Chat's opening episode on BotW also took in a handful of hard-hitting complaints about the open world formula and requesting the depth of the old 3D Zelda style (Expansive dungeons, item-progression and other things that BotW streamlined out of existence)

Joffy

Oct 30, 2017
b72e9aaaf9c8313e745ebc25ee27b96d.png

5dc17cc930dea8d1e00dd71f8e7c573c.png

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I feel the need to point out that Zelda doesn't even have a consistent aesthetic and aside from Gorons (who while being similar to traditional dwarves, still have a very distinct look) all the other races have enough visusally and functionally similar parallels in fantasy media that the exact same aesthetic could've been used for a new ip

sora87

Oct 27, 2017
Nah that title belongs to mostly all of rockstar's games. BotW is actually fun to play.

Jonneh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
UK
I do think there's an argument that weapon durability isn't a great mechanic in certain games. It's so minimally implemented into Dark Souls that you just kind of pay the repair fee whenever you're at a blacksmith without ever thinking about it, it's not like you change your weapon all too often.

I guess Breath of the Wild is more similar to an arena shooter. You're eventually going to run out of Battle Rifle bullets and you'll need to pick up whatever else you can, even if all you can find is the Halo 3 Magnum. I personally love that kind of approach to shooters and BotW is essentially the very same thing.

daybreak

Feb 28, 2018
I expect any writers that list Skyward Sword as the "best Zelda game" to have similarly terrible opinions on the rest of the games in the series.

Sleuth

alt account
Banned
Jul 18, 2019
It's not a perfect game. Its quite close though. And what it does well it does so damned well. In many ways its the best open world game ever made. But yeah, the story could've been better, more involving. And some bits were a little grindy. Overall, it is a masterpiece imo.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
I agree that it is one of the most overrated games ever. It's certainly not a bad game, it is a good game due to many of its nice gameplay mechanics, but I found it too flawed and shallow to consider it more than good.

Story is shit, enemy variety is weak, shrines are with few exceptions garbage filler content. There's not that much of true interest to find in the world. There's like 10 hours of quality content spread way too thin in this game. Princess rescuing trope for the millionth time, really?
Yes and I think it's key to acknowledge that being overrated does not make it a bad game.
I feel it is overrated, because clearly there is loads of room for improvement, yet the aggregate score almost doesn't have room for allow for any improvement, which suggestions it is overrated.

OP
OP

Deleted member 58846

User requested account closure
Banned
Jul 28, 2019
You were there in the last 4 threads I saw about BotW and while the majority thinks it's the masterpiece it's lauded as, you must've seen "criticism" because you quoted me and I saw plenty of other dissenters.

How come people could be honest about Mario Odyssey, going as far as to create a "Dissenters only" thread and not BotW? There's clearly a vocal minority of them any thread I read through, including this one and including myself. Also critics like George Weidmann and Jim Sterling (Super Bunnyhop and Jimquisition)
I mean from the industry. Look at the post I was quoting lol

Onikage

Feb 21, 2018
Why does everyone gotta use dumb terminology like "overrated."

I'm not as enamored with BotW as others, but that doesn't mean I have to think it's overated.

It has a 97 metacritic score.
For the media it is basically one of the top 10 best games of all gaming history.
What would be an overrated game if not this? You can't rate this game any higher.

On the other hand the user score is 8.5.

fourfourfun

Oct 27, 2017
England
Why is "item durability" a bad thing?

It is one of the milestones applied for success or reward in gaming. Well done for doing thing, here, you now have a better thing than the thing you have before.

BOTW simply says "that thing you have now, it will break and you will have to use another thing - the other thing may be weaker or not of your preferred type" - which seemingly was a transition of thinking people could not adjust to. One of the frequent comments I see around this has been "at least let me fix my weapon" which is a true "why?" moment. Your weapon is broken, you move onto another one. Use what you have to hand.

Damn Silly

Oct 25, 2017
I kinda agree with the premise of the title, but the Belda argument is a bit daft.

I probably would've liked BOTW slightly more if it didn't have the expectations of previous Zelda games.

I'm still excited for BOTW2 though because, as the article also says, I do think that BOTW is a good foundation for a potential GOAT.

Serif

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
If it were anything other than a Zelda game...

I find it interesting the author brings this up when this could apply so easily to Skyward Sword (which they claim is the best Zelda), I don't know to what extent people would have been willing to deal with a game entirely focused on motion controls if it weren't a mainline Zelda installment, and those who enjoyed the game liked it in spite of its poor pacing and hand-holding because of elements like the dungeons and story which are intertwined with the Zelda series. And I loved Skyward Sword.

I don't even agree with the 'Belda' argument but bringing it up without examining one's own bias is just lacking in introspection.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
For the media it is basically together with the top 10 games of all gaming history.
WHat would be an overrated game if not this? You cant reate this game any higher.

metacritic user scores for console exclusives are hot garbage that are pretty much always dragged down by console warriors who didn't even play the game

Apr 25, 2018
There was so much I didn't like about it and I've totally gone off open world games, so I can't disagree with the article. I think I might have liked it more if wasn't called Zelda because I wouldn't have gone in with certain expectations (around dungeons, unlocking new exploration items throughout the game etc.) - is that a reverse Belda argument? :)

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
"Breath of the Wild is the most overrated game of all time" is this generation's "Final Fantasy VII is the most overrated game of all time"
I think every game that gets overwhelming critical acclaim is the most overrated game of all time on the internet.

People seem to have forgotten how to write or what pespective is.

Last of Us 2 strong contender to take Zelda and Red Dead's most overrated of all time crown.

Deleted member 51789

Banned
Jan 9, 2019
An article that uses the Belda argument in a direct response to other websites saying that it's one of their greatest games of time is one not worth clicking on.

People can dislike the game fine, but going the whole 'overrated' route is disappointing and pure clickbait, as if other people are wrong about how much they enjoyed the game

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
I mean from the industry. Look at the post I was quoting lol
Maybe not from the more "official" sites but you've got your individual groups like Super Bunnyhop and Jimquisition as I mentioned. I also think the bigger sites have a tendency to kowtow to how they expect fans will want to hear about a thing. Halo 4 is a mediocre game yet Ryan McCafferey opens his review by saying "What if Halo 4 is THE BEST. HALO. EVER?" Sites feed on hype and fan expectations because that keeps the flow going.

Delphine

Fen'Harel Enansal
Administrator
Mar 30, 2018
France
That's hardly fair, not every game has the misfortune to come out the same year as two other GOATs, Hollow Knight and Nier: Automata.

True, as well as the misfortune of coming out the same year as the GOATEST of them GOATS, aka: Horizon: Zero Dawn.
2017 was honestly such a great gaming year in retrospect, we got blessed!

Timppis

Banned
Apr 27, 2018
I completely agree with this article, BOTW is easily my least favourite Zelda game and the only mainline game I haven't yet completed because I have no motivation to. I use the term Zelda here loosely because it's not a real Zelda game IMO.
How on earth is it not real Zelda game?

MaitreWakou

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 15, 2018
Toulouse, France
"Godammit Nintendo why can't I keep my bullets?!? I've given them all names and everything!!?!?eleven!!"
Yeah, for some reasons, people who dislike the item durability don't want to see it as bullets. But it is what is. You have type of weapons (sword, long sword, axe, etc...) which can be seen as guns, and the weapons you actually get can be seen as ammos. I got the iron sword, it means you have 50 bullets for your sword.
If EPD decides to get rid of the item durability in BOTW 2, I really hope they make the sword play more interesting.
The combat tactic is interesting because of it. Your weapons are finite. You have to manage them. How to do so ? Experiment. Use your tools. Use the bombs to make this tree fall on the ennemies, burn the grass, etc etc.
If you mod the game so that you're just able to just hit all the ennemies until they die, the combat wouldn't be as interesting. It would be boring. Hit that dude, he's dead, hit that dude, he's dead.
It's fun to hit an ennemy, shit my weapon just broke, well then I steal that goblin's weapon, ahah now what you're going to do fucker ?
You hit, weapon break, you run, you get that weapon, you hit. It's fun. It's the same combat scenario as in Doom 2016, who is also really really fun for that reason.
You had BOTW's chemistry and physic system and you have a hell of a good combat system.

Dec 21, 2017
I think its ambition caused it to have certain aspects be a little undercooked. So it's a great first attempt I would say, that the sequel has the potential to greatly improve upon.

BotW has always made me think of a hamburger where the meat is undercooked and the cheese isn't great, but the lettuce, tomato, sauces and bun are superb.

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
For the media it is basically together with the top 10 games of all gaming history.
What would be an overrated game if not this? You can't rate this game any higher.

A game where the publisher paid off reviewers can be overrated.

A game that reviewers just loved and so gave high scores to is appropriately rated.

Other people are allowed to like things more than you, that doesn't make them wrong.

Deleted member 49438

Banned
Nov 7, 2018
An article with this kind of take begs for more than 5 paragraphs, and for more than 2 of them to contain criticism. But I guess the outlet is getting the clicks they were looking for.

Nov 17, 2017
Alternatively, it not being a Zelda means there's less things to directly compare with previous entries. How much would people bring up dungeons and item durability if this were a new IP in an unrelated series? It would also not have to stand up to the scrutiny of being compared with critically acclaimed entries like Ocarina of Time.
Exactly. So much of the criticism BotW gets is from what people are used to in Zelda games. The fact that it bucks the trend so much and people still love it says a lot about the quality of the game. You don't see nearly as many people going to bat for Phantom Hourglass for example.

I do think there's an argument that weapon durability isn't a great mechanic in certain games. It's so minimally implemented into Dark Souls that you just kind of pay the repair fee whenever you're at a blacksmith without ever thinking about it, it's not like you change your weapon all too often.

I guess Breath of the Wild is more similar to an arena shooter. You're eventually going to run out of Battle Rifle bullets and you'll need to pick up whatever else you can, even if all you can find is the Halo 3 Magnum. I personally love that kind of approach to shooters and BotW is essentially the very same thing.
Yeah, seeing the weapons as ammo in BotW is the best way to do it. I'd say a majority of the problems people have with the weapon durability comes from their own attachment to things. The game teaches you from the beginning that weapons are fleeting but bountiful but people still horde weapons, not wanting to break them until that special encounter comes along. It never does, of course and it ironically makes the game less fun because they limit themselves.

Like, I could horde my awesome fire rod and just fight with regular swords the whole game. Or I could start a bunch of fires like a mad man for a bit. Which sounds more fun?

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
What a shit article. Thats unremarkable tho.

While i believe its the best game yet concieved by humankind, i do believe in the belda hypothesis. Had it been belda, it would have been awhile before we caught on to how good it was. It would ba an 85 on 'meta' (ugh) and still be the best game made.

ffvorax

Oct 27, 2017
From the lack of story, stale dungeons, grinding shrines in order to attain the Master Sword, and item durability, the game falters on many fronts.

Partially agree with these arguments, but absolutely it is not the most overrated game of all time. It's still a really great game even with some of these problems.

HL2 is the overrated one. :P

OP
OP

Deleted member 58846

Banned
Jul 28, 2019
Maybe not from the more "official" sites but you've got your individual groups like Super Bunnyhop and Jimquisition as I mentioned. I also think the bigger sites have a tendency to kowtow to how they expect fans will want to hear about a thing. Halo 4 is a mediocre game yet Ryan McCafferey opens his review by saying "What if Halo 4 is THE BEST. HALO. EVER?" Sites feed on hype and fan expectations because that keeps the flow going.
Even in terms of longform criticism, those two are probably among a very small handful of notable critics for the game you can find. The general reception for the game is overwhelming praise (which in fact is what leads to articles such as the one in the OP).

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017
I had a teacher say that The Beatles are overrated but they are still the best band of all time. That might apply here.

Halfstar

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
grinding shrines in order to attain the Master Sword
How is it "grinding" if all the shrines are different, fun and also completely optional? That isn't grinding, that is called playing the game. You could complain about every game that you have to "grind" all the levels and bosses to complete it.
Especially weird because in BotW almost everything is optional. Besides the tutorial, you don't have to beat any shrine or any enemy besides Ganon.
Is it because they expected the Master Sword because of previous Zelda games? They can't say it is only popular because it's Zelda, and then only complain about it not being a proper Zelda.

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
What this is really about – and it fuels every other 'Overrated' thread that has ever existed – is that some people simply can't abide something getting praise that they don't personally enjoy.

BOTW and RDR2 are the most often sniped games because they are the two best-reviewed titles of the generation and for certain people that didn't enjoy these games, that really pisses them off. It's the same reason we've had two years of people trying to prove The Last Jedi is a terrible movie despite financial success and widespread critical laudation.

There's an almost myopic delusion at the very notion of something being overrated because by way of simple logic, that is literally an impossibility. We are talking about personal critiques and if the game in question gets universal praise, how can you claim – outside of your own narrow viewpoint – that those accolades are underserving when the metrics are almost entirely subjective?

And to be fair, I'm guilty of this fallacious reasoning in the past myself and in retrospect I should have just shut the fuck up and let people enjoy the games I didn't care for.

But again, this is ego-driven blather. It's one thing to hold a divergent view, it's another thing to be so up your own asshole as to believe everyone else is wrong.

It's okay to dislike BOTW, RDR2 and The Last Jedi.

What's not okay is to tell everyone who does they are effectively wrong and blinded by fandom, poor taste, ignorance, etc.

Some people really need to get the fuck over themselves.

Moltres006

Banned
Jan 5, 2019
To me its seems like a game that generates tons of salt.

But seriously, this forum its starting to become like 4chan, everyday there's a botw thread.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Even in terms of longform criticism, those two are probably among a very small handful of notable critics for the game you can find. The general reception for the game is overwhelming praise (which in fact is what leads to articles such as the one in the OP).
I'd also argue that Superbunnyhop actively pushed himself to play in a way that wasn't natural and that the game wasn't designed to be played in and that's a big part of why his experience turned poor during his playtime

Status
Not open for further replies.