• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 58846

User requested account closure
Banned
Jul 28, 2019
It's blasphemous to say, but Breath of the Wild is the most overrated game of all-time. While it does so many things wonderfully well, it lacks the cohesion that makes an excellent game. Now, we are not saying that it is not a great game – it is. On our review scale, an 8 is "great", which is where we would score it if we had reviewed it. But it's not a top-five game of all-time, like IGN's latest "top 100 games" list suggests. It's not even a top-five Legend of Zelda game. If Breath of the Wild weren't a Legend of Zelda game, would it have garnered the same amount of critical acclaim? That is the litmus test for any game, and the answer here is simply, no.

Breath of the Wild set the foundation for an excellent game, even a masterpiece, but simply was not able to follow through. From the lack of story, stale dungeons, grinding shrines in order to attain the Master Sword, and item durability, the game falters on many fronts. As we said earlier though, it is a great game; it simply isn't the masterpiece that the mainstream gaming media makes it out to be. If it were anything other than a Zelda game it would be criticized heavily on these fronts. It is enjoyable, but not elite.

SOURCE

I don't think I agree with any part of this, but they definitely feel strongly about it. A lot of their criticism in this article appears to be based on comparing BOTW with other Zelda games and BOTW coming up short, rather than assessing the game on its own terms (ironically enough).

What do you think, Era?

PurgeVIII

Self-requested ban
Banned
Dec 21, 2017
United States
As soon as I read the argument "If it weren't a Legend of Zelda game" I stopped caring. What's the point in wondering about hypotheticals? It IS a LoZ game. That is a fact. Imagining if it weren't is a waste of time.

Kcannon

Oct 30, 2017
Man, people are really pissed about no dungeons, huh?

All I see are the same often vague arguments from 2017. "It's not a TRUE Zelda!!1!" . Complaints are always rooted on this idea that Zelda must follow a specific formula.

Edit: Wait, they think Skyward Sword is the best Zelda game of all time?

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
Absolutely overrated. It's a neat game don't get me wrong but after a few hours it becomes a boring and empty feeling adventure devoid of any real feeling of accomplishment with mediocre dungeons. Shrines are mostly pretty tame and acceptable, but it really didn't give me that same feeling of excitement and wonder other entries in even the same franchise have given me before.

Music is incredible though.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I think this person will have to hold this grudge for a long time unfortunately for them. It has aged quite well so far.

Yunyo

Oct 25, 2017
It's time for the weekly BOTW thread! But really, is the hyperbole in the article title warranted? I don't think so.

Nov 4, 2017
I may say that it's one of my favorite games I've played, but I also realize I was greatly disappointed with certain aspects like story, and bosses.

Cerulean_skylark

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account.
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Nah I dislike BotW but that title still belongs to Final Fantasy VII.

But ff7 was a generational leap for the genre. While lots of other jrpgs were coming out at the time, most of the major ones i can think of where still using the 3/4 top down look at the floor strategy of the last gen. It can almost be the sole reason why JRPGs flourished in that generation.

BOTW was 5 years late to an open world trend.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Absolutely overrated. It's a neat game don't get me wrong but after a few hours it becomes a boring and empty feeling adventure devoid of any real feeling of accomplishment with mediocre dungeons. Shrines are mostly pretty tame and acceptable, but it really didn't give me that same feeling of excitement and wonder other entries in even the same franchise have given me before.

Music is incredible though.
Summed up my thoughts perfectly. It's a solid game but I personally thought Super Mario Odyssey was the better Nintendo offering that year :X

waiting for someone to bring up how rdr2 is overrated too

Brend

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
Always love reading a "if it wasn't Zelda" argument because BOTW is my favourite game of the generation and I am far from a Zelda fan at all.

Lord Vatek

Avenger
Jan 18, 2018
But ff7 was a generational leap for the genre. While lots of other jrpgs were coming out at the time, most of the major ones i can think of where still using the 3/4 top down look at the floor strategy of the last gen. It can almost be the sole reason why JRPGs flourished in that generation.

BOTW was 5 years late to an open world trend.
Doing something new and revolutionary doesn't translate to quality.

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
Summed up my thoughts perfectly. It's a solid game but I personally thought Super Mario Odyssey was the better Nintendo offering that year :X

waiting for someone to bring up how rdr2 is overrated too
I'd say that Odyssey isn't too far behind in the overratedneed either, though. :^)

OP
OP

Deleted member 58846

Banned
Jul 28, 2019

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
#beldatheory

tumblr_ospnmdx6Ez1rawb5do1_500.gif

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
sorry but we as a community have already decided that the legend of zelda breath of the wild a game by hidemaro fujibayashi for nintendo switch is the greatest game of all time youre sadly too late internet person

GSG

Oct 25, 2017
I completely agree with this article, BOTW is easily my least favourite Zelda game and the only mainline game I haven't yet completed because I have no motivation to. I use the term Zelda here loosely because it's not a real Zelda game IMO.

Pokémon

Oct 27, 2017
"Overrated" is the most stupid buzzword ever as it basically means "everyone who is praising and liking the game is wrong but somehow my opinion is right".
You don't like the game? Fine.
But stop acting as everyone was wrong.

Bulby

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
Berlin
In the literal sense of the word, for me, Metal Gear 4 and too a lesser extent Metal Gear 5.

OP
OP

Deleted member 58846

Banned
Jul 28, 2019
I completely agree with this article, BOTW is easily my least favourite Zelda game and the only mainline game I haven't yet completed because I have no motivation to. I use the term Zelda here loosely because it's not a real Zelda game IMO.
So which is it? Is it getting points because it's a Zelda game, or is it a bad game because it's not a true Zelda game? Both can't be true.

Status
Not open for further replies.