• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jakisthe

Oct 25, 2017
You're not wrong. The combat, story and shrines aren't compelling. The world is wonderfully crafted but the interesting places just gives you seeds. It's a boring game once the novelty wears off.
This. The game peaks when you get the glider like an hour in. After that, nothing really changes or advances.

Symphony

Oct 27, 2017
Nah. Receipts please. Disagreeing with somene isn't being hostile by the way.
I mean, did you look at just two of the posts I quoted here? Call the OP out for their crap tone, refute false statements, debate their opinion, posting "Says more about you than the game." or "I'm sorry you have bad taste, OP" is just being plain hostile.

1000% H

Oct 25, 2017
When you see so many people enjoying it, you want to get in on the fun as well.
I remember really not liking Killzone when I first tried it, but then I went back a couple years later and ended up enjoying it.
I don't really see that as valid, just like I don't see your critique of shrine variety and other aspects of the game's "notable content" as valid because you've played for 10 hours but restarted 3 times. You don't need to repeatedly replay the intro of a game before you get in on the fun. This applies to any piece of media. If you watch the first 20 minutes of Toy Story 4 a couple of times and then hit us with "there wasn't really any notable character development" I'm throwing that in the trash as well.

Glass Arrows

Jan 10, 2019
I mean considering all the replies that just instantly dismiss him for not liking this I think it's fair to start off on the defensive, especially on here where if you don't like it you're wrong lmao
This isn't the first time I've seen someone imply that BotW is some kind of sacred cow on ERA, and it's kind of baffling to me how people think that's the case when it clearly isn't. Nearly every thread discussing BotW has multiple people saying they didn't like it, complaining about the enemy variety, lack of traditional dungeons, breakable weapons, and many other things. It's not a game beyond criticism, if anything ERA makes the reception to the game seem far more divisive than it actually is.

The reason people got "defensive" is because the OP framed his experience in a rather poor way. Not liking the game is one thing but saying that everyone who loved the game is subject to "stockholm syndrome" is pretty condescending, and not only that but it just kinda seems like OP doesn't understand the idea that something being widely loved doesn't mean it's going to be to your taste. Nothing is going to be for everyone. There's plenty of games, movies, tv shows etc that I either don't like or have no interest in, it doesn't necessarily mean that everyone else is wrong or that I'm right, it's just my opinion. Not liking a game isn't a big deal.

Bramblebutt

Banned
Jan 11, 2018
I respect your opinion OP, but frankly I'm not sure what makes you think it deserves its own thread. You haven't exactly demonstrated any novel insight on this extraordinarily tired topic.

Big G

Oct 27, 2017
For me, it's easily the most rewarding experience I've ever had with an open-world game. Or maybe to be more specific, I found exploring and traversing the world itself to be rewarding in a way that I feel open-world games generally fail miserably at. The only stretch of the game where I found BOTW to be remotely boring was in the early going, on the Plateau, where I tried to do every single thing and explore every single inch of the map before moving on to the rest of the world...I had to let go of my tendencies from years & years of playing other AAA open-world games, and just go off and explore and go wherever the game takes me. Once I managed that, I found the majority of my experience to be sublime and packed full of unique, magical moments.

Askherserenity

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
It's just not for you, no big deal. There's a lot of games I don't enjoy that everyone else does.

Probably could have worded the OP better. But you didn't so I'll reply in fashion.

Not everyone has good tastes, so it's totally ok to not enjoy BotW, op.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
See, you're disproving your own point. You're being entirely too condescending to someone fairly criticising the game.

You wanted receipts? There you are.
There is a shitton of criticism you can level at this game that would be valid. Poor enemy variety, no meaty enough dungeons, story entirely told in flashbacks, combat that can be improved on, draw distance being poor, lategame and bosses being imbalanced, the last boss being a total shitshow. I could go on.

What on earth is fair about saying AC Odyssey is more polished than BotW? I can also say Knack is the best game ever made, why would anybody take me seriously? How is a game that game-devs have gone in detail to showcase how great and thought out the mechanics are archaic? Why would I take a post like that seriously?

If you think you got a gotcha there I have to disappoint you.

Belthazar90

Banned
Jun 3, 2019
I remember hating dragon age inquisition and being flabbergasted that it won so many GoTY awards... I also didn't like botw, but I can at least acknowledge that it's a great game that deserves the praise it gets... just not for me

To be fair, DA: Inquisition won so many GOTY awards because there simply wasn't anything actually good competing against it. That year was a drought for quality mainstream titles.

OP
OP
Twingsy

Twingsy

Oct 27, 2017
Moon
I don't really see that as valid, just like I don't see your critique of shrine variety and other aspects of the game's "notable content" as valid because you've played for 10 hours but restarted 3 times. You don't need to repeatedly replay the intro of a game before you get in on the fun. This applies to any piece of media. If you watch the first 20 minutes of Toy Story 4 a couple of times and then hit us with "there wasn't really any notable character development" I'm throwing that in the trash as well.

10 hours in a single save, not 10 hours over 3 saves.

I meant I put the game on multiple occasions since release because I didn't enjoy it and picked it up later again, trying to get into it.

Ciao

Jun 14, 2018
Best open world game since Morrowind. No other game nailed the sense of exploration andd discovery like these two. Zero handholding, juste trying stuff, and thinking outside the box.

Abdiel

Oct 28, 2017
Your opening post was fairly aggressive in tone, but I agree with the context, in a sense.

I don't play games to build my own adventure. I don't care about roaming around and feeling a sense of whimsy. I play to experience a crafted story, to basically play books. Them removing the primary format of the Zelda series with the story, narrative and puzzles that were more tightly driven made BotW incredibly boring to me. I just don't give a shit and the breakable weapons are an eyesore.

I'll probably pass on even trying the sequel if it is anything like the first game, because that's not the kind of experience I'm looking for.

Give me more majora, link's awakening, etc.

Last edited:

Deleted member 2085

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, did you look at just two of the posts I quoted here? Call the OP out for their crap tone, refute false statements, debate their opinion, posting "Says more about you than the game." or "I'm sorry you have bad taste, OP" is just being plain hostile.
I'm sorry, but was it just me and a handful of others who read the sentence where OP INSULTED people for liking the game and then doubled down on it?

OP reaped what he sowed.

Kolya

Jan 26, 2018
There is a shitton of criticism you can level at this game that would be valid. Poor enemy variety, no meaty enough dungeons, story entirely told in flashbacks, combat that can be improved on, draw distance being poor, lategame and bosses being imbalanced, the last boss being a total shitshow. I could go on.

What on earth is fair about saying AC Odyssey is more polished than BotW? I can also say Knack is the best game ever made, why would anybody take me seriously? How is a game that game-devs have gone in detail to showcase how great and thought out the mechanics are archaic? Why would I take a post like that seriously?

If you think you got a gotcha there I have to disappoint you.

I don't think you know how opinions work... You're free to ignore it but it's their opinion and a dismissal of it on that very fact is what you say doesn't happen.

And you just did it.

Coricus

Oct 25, 2017
1. Since when did Era like this game LOL

2. BotW has strong points and weak points. I spend every game that has something with even a passing resemblance to an explorable world attempting to clip over rocks, climb onto rooftops, and just generally get into anything and everything, so for me a game that actively encourages and provides mechanics for that behavior was a frickin' godsend.

3. Admittedly the dearth of enemy variety is one of those weak points BotW has, although also one that's been both talked to death and is somewhat mitigated IMO by just how complex the enemy behaviors are compared to most games. Fish in a small pond kind of thing from what I've heard coding snobs mention in passing, but when you're used to enemies having two attack patterns and being stopped by ankle high rocks it's somewhat refreshing nonetheless. If you're looking for a game where the combat keeps you on your toes, maybe ask Nintendo to make a Kid Icarus: Uprising sequel for the Switch. Or hell, if multiplayer experiences are up your alley just buy Splatoon 2.

4. The map isn't really that empty, most of the places to go poking around are hidden behind slight geographical features and so on. Even in the seemingly wide open plains, entire ruins and other locations of note are hidden behind things as deceptively simple as low rolling hills. Kind of like real life! Or alternatively I could just set you in front of a copy of White Knight Chronicles and tell you to do circles around the desert until you gain an appreciation for BotW's map design, LOL

5. I feel like it says a lot about the discourse surrounding this game that I'm not even fazed by the amount of hyperbole going on here.

erikNORML

Oct 30, 2017
1oq3ej.jpg

I dont really get the point of these threads. People like different things

Oct 25, 2017
I, for one, am sorry you didn't enjoy this.

It's perfectly understandable when a particular aesthetic of a game wears off for some.

xolsec

Feb 18, 2018
It took around 20 hours for me to start liking the game. The overall world and content is nothing short of amazing, but he combat was mediocre though.

It's good.

EloKa

GSP
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
But I have about 10 hours logged in the game, on my 3rd attempt to play this, and so far, all the game has been nothing but walking around grassy fields or a desert, and wacking the same goblins over and over. Each of these shrines I found are all just variations of the same 3 puzzles.
I'm kinda in the same camp. Started 3 different playthroughs in the last 2 years and stopped each after ~5-8 hours or so because of pure boredom. Guess I will never finish the game because the gameplay always feels wide as an ocean but only deep as a puddle. But calling it the most boring game is a huge stretch and hyperbole.

Flon

Is Here to Kill Chaos
Oct 27, 2017
I found the game to be designed in such a way that it was a wonderful experience to explore. Lots of verticality and intriguing world design with very clever sign posting.

It captures what was so enticing about 2D Zelda. Just like Link's Awakening, its overworld was all about exploring, scaling the world with verticality as progression until you naturally find the path forward. It clicked almost immediately, despite me not expecting to like it much.

It's to a point that I want Zelda to continue in this direction moving forward. 3D Zelda just never worked for me until this one.

Also, we both can explain our likes and dislikes about the game without needing to resort to such a tone in your original post.

Last edited:

1000% H

Oct 25, 2017
10 hours in a single save, not 10 hours over 3 saves.

I meant I put the game on multiple occasions since release because I didn't enjoy it and picked it up later again, trying to get into it.
That's why I went for 20 of minutes of TS4, because I guesstimated that was roughly proportionate to what an average BotW playthrough works out to.

Rouk'

Jan 10, 2018
I respect your opinion OP, but frankly I'm not sure what makes you think it deserves its own thread. You haven't exactly demonstrated any novel insight on this extraordinarily tired topic.
This. Honestly, if this thread isn't a troll thread, then what is it ? Why was it made ? There was basically the exact same thread yesterday, with the last post dating from 3 hours ago

Nov 1, 2017
For me BotW sits right near the bottom of my "best ever Zelda games" list, above only the original NES Zelda game which it has to be said has aged horribly. I think i dislike it more than i possibly normally would do because i am a massive fan of the Zelda template firmly established in LttP. I'm all for changing things up but it's so drastic that I would have preferred BotW had been a new IP so those of us that enjoy things like well crafted dungeons and varied equipment/items in a well paced and structured game can continue having Zelda games with those things in them.

There are things the game does that are interesting. But to me, interesting doesn't always mean fun. Is it cool that you can freeze time a rock, smack it a bunch then jump on and be catapulted across the world? Sure, I just don't find it all that fun. Is it cool that you can climb anything? Yeah, except for when it starts raining and you literally have to put the controller down and go do something else until it stops (seriously, fire whoever came up with that stupid fucking mechanic). Is it cool that you can go fight Ganon at any time after the tutorial bit? I guess, but as a result you can easily walk into that fight so ridiculously overpowered that it makes the entire end sequence flaccid and lackluster, not exactly the best way to end a game. They put all this effort into creating this massive open world and just filled it with repetitive shrines and seemingly endless Korok seeds. As a result the pacing is all over the place and coupled with that dreaded breakable weapons just meant i had zero incentive to even go poking around that massive world. In the early game the difficulty is either "super easy" or "you die in one hit if an enemy so much as sneezes in your general direction" and the less said about how the cooking system breaks the challenge the better. Being able to pause the game whenever you are somewhat at risk of dying and casually go into a menu to select from a vast inventory of healing supplies is not a good way to do game difficulty.

The game sadly doesn't even overcompensate in other areas, for instance the plot, as much as it is might as well not even exist. A bunch of flashbacks and some scary evil force that is happily contained forever and presents zero urgency. Man, i remember that giddy feeling when you beat Agahnim and emerge at the top of the pyramid in the Dark World and realise the game had only just begun. Or that moment when you emerge from the Temple of Time only to see just how much Ganondorf had well and truly fucked up Hyrule. Exploring a forgotten Hyrule buried beneath the sea, eerily frozen in time. The Zelda series is filled with iconic, unforgettable moments and for me personally BotW has nothing that gets even close to approaching the greatness of past games in the series and that's a real bummer.

But hey, you can cook shit and dick about in its open world and apparently that's enough for the vast majority of people to get all moist about it, so that's nice for them. BotW is one of those games where i feel this massive cognitive dissonance from what would seem to be the general consensus on this game. And because it's been such a massive success i can kiss goodbye to any notion of Zelda games reverting back to the kind of style of game that I love and cherish.

Kolya

Jan 26, 2018
For me BotW sits right near the bottom of my "best ever Zelda games" list, above only the original NES Zelda game which it has to be said has aged horribly. I think i dislike it more than i possibly normally would do because i am a massive fan of the Zelda template firmly established in LttP. I'm all for changing things up but it's so drastic that I would have preferred BotW had been a new IP so those of us that enjoy things like well crafted dungeons and varied equipment/items in a well paced and structured game can continue having Zelda games with those things in them.

There are things the game does that are interesting. But to me, interesting doesn't always mean fun. Is it cool that you can freeze time a rock, smack it a bunch then jump on and be catapulted across the world? Sure, I just don't find it all that fun. Is it cool that you can climb anything? Yeah, except for when it starts raining and you literally have to put the controller down and go do something else until it stops (seriously, fire whoever came up with that stupid fucking mechanic). Is it cool that you can go fight Ganon at any time after the tutorial bit? I guess, but as a result you can easily walk into that fight so ridiculously overpowered that it makes the entire end sequence flaccid and lackluster, not exactly the best way to end a game. They put all this effort into creating this massive open world and just filled it with repetitive shrines and seemingly endless Korok seeds. As a result the pacing is all over the place and coupled with that dreaded breakable weapons just meant i had zero incentive to even go poking around that massive world. In the early game the difficulty is either "super easy" or "you die in one hit if an enemy so much as sneezes in your general direction" and the less said about how the cooking system breaks the challenge the better. Being able to pause the game whenever you are somewhat at risk of dying and casually go into a menu to select from a vast inventory of healing supplies is not a good way to do game difficulty.

The game sadly doesn't even overcompensate in other areas, for instance the plot, as much as it is might as well not even exist. A bunch of flashbacks and some scary evil force that is happily contained forever and presents zero urgency. Man, i remember that giddy feeling when you beat Agahnim and emerge at the top of the pyramid in the Dark World and realise the game had only just begun. Or that moment when you emerge from the Temple of Time only to see just how much Ganondorf had well and truly fucked up Hyrule. Exploring a forgotten Hyrule buried beneath the sea, eerily frozen in time. The Zelda series is filled with iconic, unforgettable moments and for me personally BotW has nothing that gets even close to approaching the greatness of past games in the series and that's a real bummer.

But hey, you can cook shit and dick about in its open world and apparently that's enough for the vast majority of people to get all moist about it, so that's nice for them. BotW is one of those games where i feel this massive cognitive dissonance from what would seem to be the general consensus on this game. And because it's been such a massive success i can kiss goodbye to any notion of Zelda games reverting back to the kind of style of game that I love and cherish.

Replace the OP with this. Fully agree.

hammurabi

Oct 27, 2017
Surprised this thread hasn't been locked to be honest. OP is clearly trying to start a fight with the condescending language and overly defensive attitude.

There have also already been a bunch of threads here from member who have not enjoyed the game. The vast majority of the comments were something along the lines of 'that's okay! Maybe it's not for you'.

Deleted member 46948

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
I remember hating dragon age inquisition and being flabbergasted that it won so many GoTY awards... I also didn't like botw, but I can at least acknowledge that it's a great game that deserves the praise it gets... just not for me

To be fair, Dragon Age Inquisition is a solid RPG with tedious and clunky combat and on open world filled with too many fetch quests. It was my game of the year when it came out, but people loved it for very different reasons than BotW.

I don't see the appeal of BotW either, and OP is not wrong in some of his points, but whatever, there's many other games to play if something isn't for you.

Deleted member 54073

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 22, 2019
Not a fan of the game at all either, pretty sure if it wasn't a Zelda game then it certainly wouldn't have got the reviews it did.

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
I played about 25 hours before I gave up. Realized there's really very little feeling of actual progression and was becoming bored by the puzzles and aggravated by the weapon durability and stamina.

o Tesseract

Oct 28, 2017
This. Honestly, if this thread isn't a troll thread, then what is it ? Why was it made ? There was basically the exact same thread yesterday, with the last post dating from 3 hours ago
Yeah I really just don't get it. It's almost like OP knows that this topic is divisive and just wanted to crapshoot the subject. Isn't there an OT for the game still? I feel like if all you're going to say is "omg I know you can't hate a well-reviewed game teehehe but I really don't get why people like this" then just post that in the OT. Or another existing topic about the game.

And then people wonder where the bad look Era has comes from. Imagine an outsider coming in and seeing multiple threads being like "BOTW is so crap lol".

Miles Davis

Alt account
Banned
Jun 22, 2019
I'm honestly waiting on Cemu. I have no idea how people play open worlds in 30FPS. I can't do it. Kills my eyes. Hell, I could barely take Uncharted 4 in 30FPS. But I still got issues trying to run this at 60FPS.

I'd say it's pretty overrated all told, but it does have some cool things about it. Definitely not even close to a 10/10 game. If it had an amazing story and better graphics with better tuned combat well it might be up there then.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I don't think you know how opinions work... You're free to ignore it but it's their opinion and a dismissal of it on that very fact is what you say doesn't happen.

And you just did it.
That's like saying red is blue. There is no opinion to be had here. If they hate the weapon system, I would disagree but that's their opinion. If they think the gameplay loop gives them nothing to go on, that's their opinion. If they think the shrine's puzzles suck, that's their opinion.

If they think AC Odyssey is more polished then BotW, they are flat out wrong. If they think the mechanics of traversal, the elements and how they interact on a constant basis are archaic, they are flat out wrong. There is no opinion that I could dismiss there.

It's like arguing for climate change deniers or flat earthers "just having an opinion" and dismissing it when you say they are wrong. I don't think you know what an opinion even is.

Toriko

Banned
Dec 29, 2017
Having more enemy variety would not have helped considering the encounter design and combat are awful.

Hucast

alt account
Banned
Mar 25, 2019
Game is still selling gangbusters becoming the best selling zelda if it isn't already. Positive word of mouth doing its thing

Oct 25, 2017
this is the most boring thread I've ever seen in my entire life

has this conversation not happened millions of times already?

Virtua King

Dec 29, 2017

Agreed on all points, and that last sentence there is why I hate BotW the most. Zelda went from one of my top 5 favorite series to one that I couldn't care less about if more of this is the future.

Jakisthe

Oct 25, 2017
That's like saying red is blue. There is no opinion to be had here. If they hate the weapon system, I would disagree but that's their opinion. If they think the gameplay loop gives them nothing to go on, that's their opinion. If they think the shrine's puzzles suck, that's their opinion.

If they think AC Odyssey is more polished then BotW, they are flat out wrong. If they think the mechanics of traversal, the elements and how they interact on a constant basis are archaic, they are flat out wrong. There is no opinion that I could dismiss there.

It's like arguing for climate change deniers or flat earthers "just having an opinion" and dismissing it when you say they are wrong. I don't think you know what an opinion even is.
What about "AC is more polished than BotW" is objectively incorrect and not an opinion?

Status
Not open for further replies.