• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Are you still in love with Breath of the Wild after all this time?

• Yes and it deserved the praise it got.

Votes: 2,277 74.9%
  • No, the love has slowly faded away.

Votes: 127 4.2%
  • No, never liked the game in the first place.

Votes: 276 9.1%
  • The game was pretty good but I was never hyped for it.

Votes: 359 11.8%

• Total voters

Deleted member 2145

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I keep being told this game is/was a fresh take on open world but when I played it I didn't see what it did new or fresh

generally when people say that it's about the level of freedom you're given and the level of respect the game shows the player in a lot of aspects in terms of just leaving you to your own devices and trusting that by doing you'll figure things out and have constant discoveries. things like having towers only show the topography of the map rather than revealing all the points of interest, the go anywhere do anything progression, the level design and world geometry combined with the different mechanics like climbing and gliding making a more engaging and engrossing play experience, and the physics and chemistry engine leading to exploration and discovery with the gameplay systems along with the exploration and discovery in terms of traversing the map. there's a lot of things in the game that have a sort of first souls-like effect on the player where preconceived notions and habits get challenged and there's a re-acclimation period with what the game is, what you can do, and how you can approach all the different scenarios.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
It's a fun game. I had a lot of fun with it. It is a very well-crafted game.

But the way it was treated as the pinnacle of gaming, as if every game ever made has led us to this masterpiece, as if this is the game to define video games, it really makes me roll my eyes.

It makes me feel bad honestly, I don't enjoy crapping on someone else's fun, and I can't reiterate enough that it IS a good, fun game. But it is far from the pinnacle. It's really just a Nintendo version of a Ubisoft game if you ask me.

It's the first time I really had to agree that there is a MASSIVE Nintendo bias. Replace the Zelda characters and art style, the Nintendo name, and pass it off as a new IP, and it wouldn't get anywhere near the same amount of praise.
I disagree. I think in BOTW's case, the Zelda name is one of the things that worked against it, given what Nintendo/series fans' expectations were of the series in terms of tools, how dungeons work, etc. The fact that Nintendo basically threw almost everything out and went back to the series' roots *and* it was still heralded as a masterpiece by the majority of critics and players alike? That's remarkable to me.

karmitt

Oct 27, 2017
The negative vocal minority really makes you think this game has a mixed reception.

But then, you take a look at the poll :)

• Yes and it deserved the praise it got.
    Votes: 1,175 76.0%
  • No, the love has slowly faded away.
    Votes: 67 4.3%
  • No, never liked the game in the first place.
    Votes: 138 8.9%
  • The game was pretty good but I was never hyped for it.
    Votes: 166 10,7%

I personally hate when folks attribute the success and acclaim to Nintendo / Zelda franchise bias. It's really condescending, as though the countless critics and gamers that love this game as much as they do aren't capable of forming a valid opinion of the game relative to the whole of the industry.

Barn

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles
It's still a masterpiece for many reasons, though I think it's the ambiance and environment that keeps me coming back to toy around every few months, more than anything -- it's the type of game that if someone mentions it, I have to play it again, even if just for a bit. There's something meditative about it; it's as though the creators finally fully achieved the "garden in your drawer" concept that the very first Zelda aspired to.

And when I do pop in for a bit, the staples of the game's design still shine. I put in over 200 hours and did a full walking tour of Hyrule before taking on Ganon (my map is covered in the Hero's Path), but I'm still treated to a new Korok or a new vista or a new small experience every time I play -- there are still two shrines out there waiting for me that I bet I'll stumble upon some day, years after the fact.

Detail

Dec 30, 2018
I think it's an incredible game and deserves all the praise it got.

It isn't perfect, no game is but it's definitely the best open world game I have ever played quite frankly.

Speedlynx

Nov 22, 2017
It's the first time I really had to agree that there is a MASSIVE Nintendo bias. Replace the Zelda characters and art style, the Nintendo name, and pass it off as a new IP, and it wouldn't get anywhere near the same amount of praise.
A lot of people don't like the belda argument, but I get the feeling it's at least somewhat true.

Etrian Oddity

Oct 26, 2017
A masterpiece physics suite. I haven't seen another game with the cohesiveness BotW has.

Honestly can't think of another game where going, "I wonder if this will work...." and it will actually work.

SwitchedOff

Oct 28, 2017
Overall it's still fantastic. I love the open world nature of it and the feeling of immersion in the huge world (which is enhanced by the LACK of music when exploring). The physics are great, the interactivity and ability to experiment is awesome.

Criticisms? The Shrines are pretty dull and repetitive, as are the Divine Beasts. The final fight with Calamity Ganon is too simple. The story is lacking. The English voice acting is poor to acceptable.

To be honest I'd have been perfectly happy if there were no shrines, no divine beasts and no Ganon - the exploration and immersion is the most important and well executed part of the game for me. The game has a real 'sense of place'.

dock

Game Designer
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
I put over 150 hours into the game and picked it up again a few months ago to play the expert mode. It's such an amazing game. It may we'll be my favourite game of all time, usurping Ico.

I don't love the shrines and the end boss is bad, but the world and gameplay is so amazing. It's the only Zelda game I've played through and loved every hour.

Oct 28, 2017
Still love it. It's an absolutely beautiful game that fills me with wonder and delight. As a 35 yo, i never really thought that feeling would happen again.

Hawk269

Oct 26, 2017
The options in the OP poll could of used a few more option...but I will say I did really enjoy the game and one of the few games I put in about 70+ hours. With that said, the enemy variety was an issue. The lack of variety in the poorly dungeons was another issue I had. It was a fun game

denpanosekai

Oct 28, 2017
Not sure what to vote. A mix of the last two options. I was incredibly hyped, bought it on Wii U release date, played about 20 hours and put it aside for something else (I want to say a Yakuza game)

I guess the breakable weapons did it for me. And perhaps the map was actually too large for its own good. I forget if I enjoyed or not fast travel (it couldn't be worse than RDR2 that's for sure). I guess I can't really put my finger on why it didn't click with me. The graphics were absolutely great and I did get a kick out of exploration to some extent.

I really do mean to get back to it. I just have to pull the WiiU out of storage and connect it to my TV and .... uhhhh.... kinda have a huge PS4 backlog too. Not sure when or if I'll actually get back to it.

karmitt

Oct 27, 2017
I put over 150 hours into the game and picked it up again a few months ago to play the expert mode. It's such an amazing game. It may we'll be my favourite game of all time, usurping Ico.

I don't love the shrines and the end boss is bad, but the world and gameplay is so amazing. It's the only Zelda game I've played through and loved every hour.

I'm with you on the end boss (as well as the divine beast bosses for the most part), but did you not love the shrines at all? Or just things like fact that there were so many and eventually too samey?

LostLink

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I still play it from time to time. The landscapes and walking in hyrule is just a mystical feeling.

Waffle

Oct 28, 2017
The best open world game I've played.

I think it's ok not to like the game, but some people really like to find reasons like "Nintendo bias" when others like it more than them and it's pretty tiring.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
I thought it was a solid 4/5. I'm usually not a big open world guy, but they definitely made one that was fun to navigate and run around in with a lot of options. I liked that combat was risky and not just swinging your sword until you win, but the same-y enemies meant you were rarely surprised. Shrines were fun but the lack of visual variety got old after a while, and I liked what they were doing with the Divine Beasts but I wish the dungeons were more expansive overall. Story wasn't particularly interesting, that would be my biggest complaint.

I put ~50 hours into it and after freeing the Divine Beasts and beating Ganon I found myself uninterested in playing the DLC or exploring more of the world. Maybe someday, but I don't see myself replaying this as much as some other Zeldas. Considering how inconsistent the 3D Zeldas became after the N64, though, I definitely understand that they needed a fresh start and just do something totally new.

There's definitely a lot of potential in a sequel that uses this as a foundation. Hopefully with more variety in Shrines/enemies and more elaborate dungeons.

Last edited:

SneakyBadger

Oct 26, 2017
I haven't played a ton of open-world games, but to me BOTW is sort of the opposite of other AAA open-world games in that the reward system is weak but the exploration system is strong. Traversing the landscape is the fun part, whereas that's usually a mundane aspect of other games. The shrines were decent but felt samey.

So the game was fun but had a sorta "empty" feeling to it. I'm more excited for the sequel. Now that they've got the core mechanics in place, I'm hoping they can add more depth and variety.

callamp

Oct 27, 2017
I enjoyed the divine beasts but I cannot say I enjoyed much else though. Played 10 hours, stopped playing for six months, played 15 hours, haven't touched it in 9 months.

The game just feels like such a chore to play. I tried exploring but there was little interesting to see. Combat was ordinary and weapon degradation was such a pain. Story was uninteresting and sidequests were among the worst in the genre.

It wasn't long before I found myself running in a straight line, avoiding combat, in search of the only interesting content: the divine beasts. Eventually I just moved on to more rewarding games.

It is probably the furthest my personal opinion has ever veered from popular opinion.

Yunyo

Oct 25, 2017
A true masterpiece and I can't wait for the followup from Ninty.

It's pretty obvious the final boss is just a sendoff on your great journey and is not meant to be a true challenge. The true final battle is the fight before that.

The number of people that do not get this annoys me greatly.

truly101

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
For me it had the best open word to explore since Skyrim in terms of atmosphere. My main gripes are I hated and will always hate the weapon breaking mechanic. I also felt the 4 main dungeons were really lackluster. Its a good blueprint to improve upon in a sequel .

Fanta

May 27, 2018
The Belda argument falls flat when a lot of the complaints (atleast from what I see) is that it isn't "Zelda" enough.

jariw

Oct 27, 2017
It's probably the game where I have the most clear memories of the unique experiences I had in the game. Going against the basic designed route was so rewarding a lot of the times. Even if that meant I missed some things, like the meeting with Hestu, for a loong time...

Nov 4, 2017
It's weird because I feel like even though I'm aware of it's problems I still want to call it perfect. Personally I would have liked it if the game had a bit more of a story pay off and was maybe a little more difficult by the end. But I love that game so much.

Davey Cakes

Oct 27, 2017
Massachusetts
I was never in love with it and didn't make a lot of progress. My mission is to learn to love it and play it more because, as a Zelda fan, I feel like I'm missing something and it's KILLING me.

Potterson

Oct 28, 2017
It's still the best open-world game for me because of how the world and activities are designed and presented.

mattiewheels

Oct 27, 2017
I feel like this game is missing too much to be considered an all time great. What it does is better than most games ever could manage, but it's also surprisingly skeletal when you look past the attention to the open world, at least as far as this series is concerned.

My prediction is that they're working on a follow up that gives you the traditional dungeons and narrative as well as the unmatched open world, and THAT will be the goat candidate.

Oct 25, 2017
canada
The various gameplay systems were bad.

Combat was bad

Item management, awful

Exploration was good only for the sake of exploration. Rewards for exploration were awful as they were to be utilized in the awful combat.

Shrines were mostly bad with a handful of good ones.

Dungeons were bad.

Boss fights, bad.

Story, awful.

Music, great

Art direction, great

Open world, good but very barren on the left side compared to the right.

Enemies, good AI but with only such a small amount on top of the bad combat made the achievement in their AI moot.

English VA, awful

Physics, in the open world quite cool and fun, but given combat and the majority of dungeons were bad they were not utilized well enough.

Towns, fantastic. loved them.

Traversal, good but horses were redundant. More mounts would have been nice.

All in all, everything together the game is a lot like skyward sword. Some really good ideas and poor execution.

7/10

chrisypoo

Oct 27, 2017
I think it's up there with the best games of all time, and even though the writing and voice acting is absolutely awful, and it would have been much better if it went for text only instead of voice acting, I still think it's in the top three Zelda's ever made for certain. Not sure if I'd say it beats Wind Waker or not, but depending on my mood I might say Breath of the Wild is a little more fun than Wind Waker, though not quite as engaging as Majora's Mask.

KingdomKey

Oct 27, 2017
Tried to get pulled into it multiple times, even bought a switch for it.

But I just can't seem to enjoy myself playing it. The game is beautiful and plays well but the endless wandering is killing me, I suppose it never was for me.