• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

night814

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Pennsylvania
The SNES updates are always going to outshine any NES updates, very excited to finally play a legit version of Star Fox 2 and I'm always done for a run through Kirby Superstar

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
Earthbound, FF4-6, Chrono Trigger, Secret of Mana, etc.............those are pipe dreams, ain't it?

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
Some great games. Breath of Fire II is a great game if you can get pass it janky translation. Which probably due to that translation it got away with some stuff that was disallowed by NoA.
Late 94 the ESRB was in existence, Nintendo started becoming a lot more lenient.

Contra 3 is not happening due to the collections but i would kill for mystical ninja
Mystical Ninja is a secret killer app. Looking forward to more people experiencing that series greatness.

Lowblood

Oct 30, 2017
Ha, Nintendo manages to kill the SNES Mini and the SNK Collection with one update! :P

Seriously though, all six of these are great, outside of the usual caveats about whether you enjoy each genre or whatnot. BOF2's translation is terrible (though still workable) and Starfox 2 seems to be a love-or-hate game (it's one of the best in the series for me), but I think people will find something to like here (both NES titles are lesser known too).

Different selection in Japan

We...get more than JPN? What? What?

(Seriously, it's not like BOF2 isn't available to them and there's no barriers to Punch-Out outside of it not being as popular over there)

Route-16 looks fun though, I'll have to try that out. Interesting to note that it's Sunsoft, as is Silius. We already have other Sunsoft games on NSO but this is just more reason to expect their catalog (Gimmick!).

Getting Crystalis is also amazing. I wouldn't quite say games in collections are on the table (SNK and Konami are very different beasts), but we might see more of SNK's NES output, though...Crystalis is honestly the best one. If we still got regular updates it wouldn't be much of an issue though.

Wolf

Oct 25, 2017
Holy shit Journey to Silius was my JAM on NES. Now all we need is Jackal and I'll be set for NES games I want to play again.

Journey to Silius had an absolutely bangin' soundtrack too

oatmeal

Oct 30, 2017
Glad to see them add more titles, and to add a bunch of stuff you wouldn't normally see like Silius.

Lowblood

Oct 30, 2017
Earthbound, FF4-6, Chrono Trigger, Secret of Mana, etc.............those are pipe dreams, ain't it?

Earthbound will happen eventually, though "eventually" could be anywhere from January to 2023. The others are unlikely but not impossible. Square has not supported the NSO yet but did sign on for the NES and SNES minis.

(Secret of Mana is probably least likely due to the Mana Collection, and Square does have mobile versions of the rest they could port, though obviously the FF games are a bit different than the originals)

Boogiepop

Oct 25, 2017
Heck yeah, though a minor "aww" in that my plot to use my Japanese skills to get around the apparently awful BoF2 translation has seemingly been thwarted by Japan not getting it. Still, getting to finally try out Famicom Wars is cool!

RockyBalboa_

Apr 28, 2018
Excited for Super Punch Out

But the day the original DKC and Super Mario All-Stars is released...... ohhhh boy!!

Also Super International Cricket would be a blast too.

Oct 27, 2017
Peru
Capcom doesn't really give a sh*t about Breath of Fire do they?

Well, at least this means I don't have to pay for a collection. I just wish there was a way for BoF3 and BoF4 to be re-released somehow.

Wilsongt

Oct 25, 2017
I'm surprised at the SNK stuff considering SNK collection is on sale.

Only the first one.

you mean I could have been playing BoF I all this time?! I thought that was BoF II on there.

Well fuck.

You would think with Nintendo's partnership with Koei-Tecmo they would throw us niche title lovers a bone and give us Gemfire/Royal Blood...

Hours Left

Oct 26, 2017
Great update. The West definitely won this time, but having Famicom Wars is cool. (Reminder, it's pretty easy to get the Famicom/Super Famicom apps on a western Switch.)

Now please give us Earthbound Beginnings so it's not stuck on the Wii U.

Dec 2, 2017
Journey to Silius was incredible when it came out. I rented it as a kid and was just blown away by the music and animation Sunsoft got out of the NES. Their 8-bit stuff was legendary, too bad they fell off so hard in the 16-bit era :/

Crystalis was another positive rental surprise. A solid 2nd tier Zelda clone with nice visuals.

I liked Breath of Fire II fine when I played through it on Wii U. It's a solid if generic 16-bit jrpg. It does what it's supposed to and your sidekick is a dog man.

iKhameleon

Oct 27, 2017
I'm all about Crystalis, so underrated! Never played Breath of Fire II, even though I loved the first one. Going to give that one a try for sure. Overall, all great choices. Hopefully Earthbound comes at some point.

Mugman

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Very excited for Kirby Superstar; I've had the itch to play it for about the 1,000th time with my partner after we finished Dream Land 3 on Switch earlier this year, so this is great timing

Super Punch-Out is also def getting added to the rotation

Apr 21, 2018
I'm pretty damn excited to finally play Super Punch Out.

Missing the DKC 25th anniversary seems a bit odd. Maybe we'll get the 1-3 combo someday.

Seafoam Gaming

One Winged Slayer
Nov 3, 2017
Big meh on the SNES stuff, since those are games done to death already and they aren't that interesting (though Super Star was the one game I felt was sorely lacking from SNES NSO at launch), but the NES lineup is ace! Eager to play Silius and while Crystalis is on SNK 40th, it's still a good game others should check out and enjoy. Hoping for more obscure gems like those to be in the next quarterly batch of games. Give us stuff like Axelay, Lufia, Cybernator, and Super Valis IV for SNES NSO! No need to rely on the boring stuff forever, surprise people with something new to play. (Especially since Nintendo now has pretty much zero available first party games to release on SNES NSO that don't require another party in play, and they mostly ran out of NES stuff)

By the way, Japan is getting a slightly different set of games, they're getting 4 instead of 6, two for Super Famicom and two for Famicom. They're not getting Breath of Fire II nor Super Punch-Out, Famicom is getting Famicom Wars and Route-16 Turbo.

Yikes. If I was in Japan I'd be pretty darn upset at that lineup. Famicom Wars is decent but dated, and Route 16 feels like a huge joke when the superior Arcade Archives port is available and when the US gets one of Sunsoft's better gems. This at least means Gimmick is almost assured though. Was hoping they'd put out FE Gaiden over there and maybe Earth Bound Beginnings.

Zetta

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
All I want from Nintendo right now is Super Mario RPG LoTSS. Give me that and I'll be a happy camper.

Seafoam Gaming

One Winged Slayer
Nov 3, 2017
I'm pretty damn excited to finally play Super Punch Out.

Missing the DKC 25th anniversary seems a bit odd. Maybe we'll get the 1-3 combo someday.

Nintendo NEVER, and I mean NEVER does VC releases based on game anniversaries. The only games that launched based on their anniversaries have been stuff like Pokemon and Earthbound Beginnings that were made by other companies who wanted to time it with the anniversary. Everything else has just come out whenever because that's how they do things. They didn't launch ALTTP on Wii U when ALBW was out. They didn't launch Zero Mission when it was the 10th anniversary of it. They didn't launch PMD Rescue Team when it was the series' 10th anniversary either, they did so the next year. Nintendo just rereleases their own classics whenever they feel like it, and it's always been that way.

Though for those who think SNK's just being the one that's lenient on the collection aspect, keep in mind RAF WORLD is coming to a Sunsoft Switch compilation set for Japan next year so that one is also part of a compilation, yet is on NSO. I think Konami's stuff will still come out, just later

Hoa

Jun 6, 2018
Very strong month, all of those are great.

Hope we don't have to wait 3 months for another drop.

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Actually a great update, wow. Good to know they aren't keeping Star Fox 2 locked to the SNES Mini. There's hope for Earthbound Beginnings yet.
Earthbound Beginnings was on the Wii U VC. There's always been hope for that game. The shocker will be if it doesn't come over.

Games like Crystalis and Journey to Silius were never released on any Virtual Console service. This is better than VC ever was for both NES and SNES software.

AtomicShroom

Tools & Automation
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Neat! I may give Star Fox 2 a try.

For you and anyone else planning to play this game, for the love of god please don't stop playing after you breeze through normal mode and wonder "wait, that was it??". The harder modes don't just increase the difficulty of the game, they offer much more content! More planets, bigger interiors, different enemies and bosses, more situations on the map, etc! That's where the real meat and fun of the game lies!!

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
Earthbound Beginnings was on the Wii U VC. There's always been hope for that game.

Games like Crystalis and Journey to Silius were never released on any Virtual Console service. This is better than VC ever was for both NES and SNES software.
I know, I was just concerned that Beginnings (and SF2) was just a one off release locked to it's respective platform for the foreseeable future (Beginnings never showing up on 3DS VC was always a little weird to me)

But yeah, as far as first party stuff is concerned, this is easily their best offering since the Wii VC days. Shame about the staggered updates, though.

Sadnarav

Nov 6, 2019
Still waiting for Earthbound and not giving up hopes for FF6

I have no hopes for Chrono Trigger but one can dream

monstar

Oct 25, 2017
That's really solid! Most of those are games I've been curious about but never found the time to check out.