• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

-Hyperion-

Alt-Account
Banned
Aug 14, 2021
$1000 fine.

South Dakota AG gets fines, no jail time in pedestrian death

A judge on Thursday ordered no jail time for South Dakota Attorney General Jason Ravnsborg in a crash that killed a pedestrian last year, instead fining him $500 on each of two misdemeanor counts.

The judge also ordered Ravnsborg to "do a significant public service event" each year over the next five years near the date of Boever's death, but he put that on hold after Ravnsborg's attorney objected that it was not allowed by statute.

www.nbcnews.com

South Dakota AG gets fines, no jail time in pedestrian death

A judge ordered Jason Ravnsborg to pay assorted court costs after the Republican entered no-contest pleas in the crash that killed Joseph Boever last September.

Don't really see how doing some attention-seeking campaign event under the guise of penance every anniversary to rub it in the victim's familys' faces was going to help anyone, but the judge couldn't even get that to stick.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
That is beyond insulting. There are people probably in SD prisons just because someone smelling something they think is weed

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017
That's gotta be the cheapest penalty I've ever seen for commiting murder/manslaughter. No exaggeration, in any country. Well done America, you get to be in first place again.

$1000? That's it? That's the cost of human life? I can't imagine what the victims family are going through.

SilentPanda

Nov 6, 2017
Earth
That is beyond insulting. There are people probably in SD prisons just because someone smelling something they think is weed

He also didn't show up at the sentence

South Dakota AG No-Shows Sentencing Hearing Where He Got No Jail Time After Killing a Man in Car Crash. The Victim's Family Called Him 'Cowardly.'

Jason-Ravnsborg-via-Fox-News.jpg

South Dakota Attorney General Jason Ravnsborg (R) on Thursday pleaded no contest two of the three misdemeanor charges related to a deadly nighttime crash which killed a man east of Highmore, S.D., on September 12, 2020. Ravnsborg's ultimate punishment is a series of two $500 fines and about $3,700 in court costs. He will serve no jail time despite the underlying statute authorizing a potential of 30 days in jail for each two of the two offenses.
After the family of Joseph Boever, the 55-year-old man who died in the crash, slammed Ravnsborg as a "coward," Ravnsborg's defense attorney Timothy Rensch called them out for treating this like a homicide case when no such charge has been brought.

"Accidents happen," Rensch said at one point during his arguments for as light a punishment as the law could possibly afford for Ravnsborg. "People die. It happens."

lawandcrime.com

South Dakota AG No-Shows Sentencing Hearing Where He Got No Jail Time After Killing a Man in Car Crash. The Victim’s Family Called Him 'Cowardly.'

South Dakota Attorney General Jason Ravnsborg (R) on Thursday pleaded no contest two of the three misdemeanor charges related to a deadly nighttime crash which killed a man east of Highmore, S.D., on September 12, 2020. Ravnsborg's ultimate punishment is a series of two $500 fines and about...

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017

South Dakota AG No-Shows Sentencing Hearing Where He Got No Jail Time After Killing a Man in Car Crash. The Victim's Family Called Him 'Cowardly.'

lawandcrime.com

South Dakota AG No-Shows Sentencing Hearing Where He Got No Jail Time After Killing a Man in Car Crash. The Victim’s Family Called Him 'Cowardly.'

South Dakota Attorney General Jason Ravnsborg (R) on Thursday pleaded no contest two of the three misdemeanor charges related to a deadly nighttime crash which killed a man east of Highmore, S.D., on September 12, 2020. Ravnsborg's ultimate punishment is a series of two $500 fines and about...
Goddamn that might be peak white privilege

squeakywheel

Oct 29, 2017
I'm just gagging from disgust right now. What a miscarriage of justice. I hope the dude he killed haunts him for the rest of his waking life.

Naijaboy

The Fallen
Mar 13, 2018

lawandcrime.com

This is infuriating. His contempt is off the charts. Completely in character for some who gives no cares for killing people.

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, ON

lawandcrime.com

Damn...my blood is boiling with this shit.

RustyNails

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
That's gotta be the cheapest penalty I've ever seen for commiting murder/manslaughter. No exaggeration, in any country. Well done America, you get to be in first place again.

$1000? That's it? That's the cost of human life? I can't imagine what the victims family are going through.
Yeah wtf. This is literally getting away with murder. Who is this judge?

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
I don't understand, why couldn't the prosecutors charge him with manslaughter? It makes no sense to have him plea guilty to misdemeanors after he killed someone.

Yamajian

Oct 30, 2017
I just can't even with stories like this. Pay a few grand and that's it for killing another human? Just have to say it was an animal? The dudes glasses were in his freaking CAR?! How could you hit someone from the front of your car, and the glasses end up inside of it without you knowing?

Justice was not served here, and it's disgusting.

Thordinson

Banned
Aug 1, 2018
Absolutely awful.

I don't understand, why couldn't the prosecutors charge him with manslaughter? It makes no sense to have him plea guilty to misdemeanors after he killed someone.

Because of the laws in South Dakota and because he's white. They likely didn't think they could prove recklessness and there isn't a negligent homicide law in South Dakota so they went with things they could get him on.

How do you no show and still get off that easy.

Fuck.

In South Dakota, you are allowed to no show for some reason.

BlueTsunami

Oct 29, 2017
Can the federal government investigate this? Seems like a man got away with manslaughter at the very least because of his political position

$1000 is how much you'd be fined for littering

JJDubz

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Years ago, I had a warrant and a visit from a sheriff in SD after a minor consumption of alcohol no show (the cop did not give me a copy of the ticket) and was hauled off for a few hours in the county jail to await the hearing.

I had to pay about $1000 for classes and fines, had 2 weeks (80 hours) of community service, had my license suspended, and had a year of probation. I was removed from honors society and had to miss a couple basketball games. But, hey, nice to know I could have killed somebody and gotten less, even though I likely consumed less alcohol than this ghoul of a person

Dennis8K

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"Accidents happen," Rensch said at one point during his arguments for as light a punishment as the law could possibly afford for Ravnsborg. "People die. It happens."
If I was the family of the deceased I would probably end up in jail after hearing this line.

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
Don't really see how doing some attention-seeking campaign event under the guise of penance every anniversary to rub it in the victim's familys' faces was going to help anyone, but the judge couldn't even get that to stick.

Bruh, the insult to injury. Showing up like OJ Simpson on some 'Damn, it was an unfortunate accident, if only there was a way this would have been stopped'.

If I was the family of the deceased I would probably end up in jail after hearing this line.

Id park outside his house and every time he went to get the newspaper floor it, and plead 'accident'. I had the 'he's a good guy though, served his time' shit, when the crime is so much more than an accident. The coverup, tampering of evidence, the loss of faith in the system all around, etc.

Cops need to get investigated too

Aske

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Canadia
I've always said that's the excuse Peter should have used in Hereditary. "What?! No, it was this deer in the backseat, and I was taking her to hospital! I said this deer!"

C.Mongler

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Washington, DC
So he has an existing shit driving record, he fucking kills a guy while fucking with his phone, flees the scene, lies about it, doesn't show up to his sentencing, and then only gets hit with a fine to the equivalent tune of littering in some jurisdictions??

I can't even fucking fathom what the family of the victim feel right now, holy fuck. What a complete sham.

sensui-tomo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I know defense attorneys have a shit job defending literally the worst people possible, but fuck this one inparticular he did not need to go that far with this case aka calling the family out/etc

pikachief

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Watched American Psycho for the first time recently and its true. Rich white men really can just kill people with no consequences.

Dead Guy

Oct 25, 2017
Saskatchewan, Canada
You know it's situations like this that make a real good case for vigilante justice. Fucker killed someone, lied about it and it'll cost him less than 2 weeks worth of pay. Absolutely broken system

linkboy

Oct 26, 2017
Reno
Fuck this state and everything that comes along with it.

I do can't wait to get out of this ass-backwards hell hole.

Orayn

Oct 25, 2017
The ruling class, everyone. They can just do whatever they want, including homicide.