• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
Ugh those glass wearing deers in South Dakota

Oct 25, 2017
yes, he might have been blitzed out of his mind...

edit: this is to say he's lying, or was driving so drunk he couldn't recognize a human and blacked out
There is currently no evidence or eyewitness accounts that he so much as drank at the event he was driving home from, let alone that he was "blitzed out of his mind." There is evidence that he was using his phone.

That might be true. But not in this case. They fucking found the victims glasses inside the car. He went outside looked at the corpse and escaped asap.
If escaping ASAP means calling and waiting for your local friendly sheriff. I hope the investigators grilled that sheriff damned hard.

The windscreen evidence doesn't make it certain he knew he hit someone rather than a deer. At speed it would have been so fast it's plausible he didn't realise.

The real crux is the massive skidmark. There's no way you brake that hard that long, clearly having seen something, and not know it's a man rather than a deer, ESPCIALLY as he was carrying a flashlight. I mean, how many deers are equipped with flashlights out there?

The sheriff needs to be hauled up as well. This is disgusting.
At 70mph, 200ft skidmarks represent about 2 seconds and add in reaction time, yeah, he definitely saw something.

Deleted member 37151

Account closed at user request
Banned
Jan 1, 2018

Un-fucking-believable.

Ok. Look obviously what this man is a murderer.

But am I the only one who thinks it's INSANE that these videos are allowed to be released before a trial has happened?!

In what other country in the world would they do this?

How can a fair trial possibly happen with all this stuff over social media etc?

Zonar

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Arizona, USA
Thanks for the ride, attorney general.

THANKS FOR THE RIDE.
Cold-blooded
nGMrD.gif

SilentPanda

Nov 6, 2017
Earth
Judge Orders Officials to Remove Evidence from the Internet Involving State Attorney General Accused of Striking, Killing South Dakota Man

A South Dakota judge on Friday ordered state officials, including Gov. Kristi Noem, to stop releasing evidence which may influence a criminal case against the state's own attorney general.

As Law&Crime previously reported, South Dakota Attorney General Jason Ravnsborg is accused of careless driving, operating a motor vehicle while using a mobile electronic device, and a lane-changing violation. Each charge is a "Class 2" misdemeanor which carries a maximum penalty of 30 days in jail and/or a $500 fine.

Ravnsborg said he thought he had hit a deer last September while returning home from a political event. He really hit and killed Joseph Boever, 55.
Ravnsborg is a Republican. Gov. Noem, who called on Ravnsborg to resign, is also a Republican. Both houses of the state's bicameral legislature are controlled by Republicans. A legislative resolution to impeach Ravnsborg is bipartisan. Ravnsborg has said he will not step down.

lawandcrime.com

Judge Orders State Officials to Remove Evidence from the Internet Involving State Attorney General Accused of Striking, Killing South Dakota Man

A South Dakota judge on Friday ordered state officials, including Gov. Kristi Noem, to stop releasing evidence which may influence a criminal case against the state's own attorney general.

ryan13ts

Oct 28, 2017
Judge Orders Officials to Remove Evidence from the Internet Involving State Attorney General Accused of Striking, Killing South Dakota Man

lawandcrime.com

Judge Orders State Officials to Remove Evidence from the Internet Involving State Attorney General Accused of Striking, Killing South Dakota Man

This would be all fine and reasonable if there was actually going to be any trial (Even clearly guilty people like him deserve a fair trial after all) and there would be any semblance of having him face justice, but since that's clearly doesn't look like that's going to happen, it just boils down to "Stop making this murderer look like a murderer".

Truly the American way.

ElectricBlanketFire

What year is this?
Oct 25, 2017

lawandcrime.com

Oh yeah. Removing things from the internet always works out.

Jeremy

Oct 25, 2017
Do people who live in rural places routinely browse the net on their phones while driving?!

SilentPanda

Nov 6, 2017
Earth
South Dakota Attorney General Pleads Not Guilty to Three Misdemeanors After Striking, Killing Man on Highway

Investigators confronted Ravnsborg, a Republican, with evidence he was reading websites containing conspiracy theories about President Joe Biden on his phone right before the impact. When authorities made that information public, the judge in the case, John Brown, ordered that state officials remove it from state-controlled internet sites. The judge's order ultimately gave South Dakota Republicans an excuse to shut down Ravnsborg's impeachment proceedings; they dubiously said they were afraid to violate the Attorney General's due process rights. Ravnsborg was pleased with that move.
The judge said he was retired and didn't have control over the staff and the calendar.

"I think the best way to deal with this is just by email as to dates that will work for you. My dates are pretty open. So, I'll be working with your schedules, primarily, to see what's available. If, upon your return home, if you would look at your calendars and see what's available in the middle part of May, we can schedule that for a status at that time."
Ravnsborg was traveling approximately 70 miles per hour when he collided with Boever, the Argus Leader reported. He reported the incident; the local sheriff personally showed up to investigate. The sheriff issued Ravnsborg a "deer tag" to account for damage to his vehicle and loaned the attorney general a personal car to continue on his way. Ravnsborg said he didn't see Boever's body until the next day when he was returning the car to the sheriff. The sheriff apparently didn't see Boever's body, either.
lawandcrime.com

South Dakota Attorney General Pleads Not Guilty to Three Misdemeanors After Striking, Killing Man on Highway

Embattled South Dakota Attorney General Jason Ravnsborg on Friday pleaded not guilty to three misdemeanors related to a deadly car crash in Sept. 2020. Ravnsborg struck and killed Joseph Boever, 55, but claimed he thought he hit a deer. Boever's body wasn't discovered until the next day.

Oct 25, 2017
"Oh no, there's evidence he committed an impeachable offense, better shut down the impeachment process!"

Fucking disgusting.

zashga

Losing is fun
Oct 28, 2017
Ravnsborg signed papers to indicate he understood his statutory and constitutional rights. He is charged with (1) operating a motor vehicle while using a mobile electronic device; (2) improper lane driving; and (3) careless driving.

Each charge is a Class 2 Misdemeanor carrying a possible penalty of 30 days in a county jail and a fine of $500.

Handling this case with the softest of kids' gloves. A $500 fine and 30 days in jail for hit and run negligent homicide? Stay classy Dakota.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
white privilege is putting on a masterclass with this

nihilence

nøthing but silence
Oct 25, 2017
From 'quake area to big OH.
If I was a defense attorney, I would document all of these cases and just use them for precedent.

"Oh, you want to charge my client for this? "
"Here's precedent that it's okay. Case dismissed"

Like, he has to get something like gross negligent man slaughter. The evidence is there.

demosthenes

Oct 25, 2017
This reminds me of a case where I live. Pretty sure it was a doctor who hit and killed a girl skateboarding in his Mercedes. His defense attorney argued that the engineering was so good that he didn't hear her get hit. She was thrown 30 feet from the impact. He got off.

Here you go:
www.timesunion.com

Doctor cleared in skateboarder's hit-and-run death

BUFFALO — A doctor charged with manslaughter after he hit a skateboarder with his car...

darkwing

Oct 25, 2017
This reminds me of a case where I live. Pretty sure it was a doctor who hit and killed a girl skateboarding in his Mercedes. His defense attorney argued that the engineering was so good that he didn't hear her get hit. She was thrown 30 feet from the impact. He got off.

Here you go:
www.timesunion.com

BUFFALO — A doctor charged with manslaughter after he hit a skateboarder with his car...

damn it

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017

Here you go:
www.timesunion.com

I forgot all about this. I still can't believe that guy got away.

Carnby

Oct 25, 2017

Here you go:
www.timesunion.com

This case and result infuriates me. "My car is so nice I didn't notice I hit a kid."

Gaius Cassius

Oct 28, 2017
Oregon
Saw an update that the AG in question in this case that killed the guy with his car is an army reservist and they just promoted him to Colonel, AFTER the fact he did this crime.

TAJ

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Or you know, but you go home and report it hoping to sober up by the time police come knocking.

Yeah, the guy who ran into me at highway speed while I was waiting for a red light at the top of an offramp abandoned his truck and ran off into the brush. He eventually turned himself in, but long after he would have sobered up.

David Addison

Oct 28, 2017
So this jagoff's new story is that when struck and killed a guy with his car, he was actually doing him a favor:

SIOUX FALLS, South Dakota—South Dakota Attorney General Jason Ravnsborg is claiming the man he ran over and killed—allegedly while scrolling through his phone on highway at night—wanted to die.

In court documents filed Friday, the state's top lawman claimed victim Joe Boever was depressed and suicidal and may have thrown himself in front of his car as he drove home from a Republican function on Sept. 12.

Ravnsborg's lawyer, Timothy J. Rensch, is seeking a court order that would force health-care providers to release Boever's psychiatric or psychological records "for exculpatory information concerning his suicidal ideation."

The filing quotes Boever's cousin Barnabas Nemec as saying Boever "was an admitted alcoholic with a brooding depressive streak unparalleled by anyone else I have ever known."

Nemec said that in December 2019, Boever told him if he did kill himself, he would do so by being struck by a vehicle.

"I believe with a very high degree of confidence Joe committed suicide by throwing himself into the path of a speeding car," Nemec is quoted as saying.

Nemec's brothers Nick and Victor dispute that. They told The Daily Beast that while Boever had suffered low periods before, he did not seem depressed at the time of his death.

Nick Nemec, a former state legislator who has personally investigated the case and served as a family spokesman, is convinced Boever was not suicidal.

"Joe was on the shoulder of the road," he said. "So, that I would think would indicate he wasn't out trying to jump in front of the car."
Trial starts August 26th, dude is looking at a maximum of 90 days in jail.

LifeLine

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
90 days for involuntary manslaughter. Disgusting. Hopefully the family keeps the case going till it leaves local jurisdiction.

Deleted member 17092

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

sprsk

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
After hitting a person you definitely need to call 911. A deer isn't a person. If the only problem is your car then why would you call a life or death emergency number after hitting a deer? If you feel obligated to report the road kill then call the non-emergency number.

I mean, white people call 911 for basically everything.

McDonalds forgot a nugget? 911
Someone forgot to say merry christmas? 911

danm999

Oct 29, 2017
Sydney
reading his wikipedia, would it shock anyone he is extremely "tough on crime" when he is not the defendant in question?

Foffy

Oct 25, 2017
So we've gone from hitting a deer, finding a human body, finding the person's glasses in the car, to "oh he wanted to die?" And he's getting baby bitch time for this, if he's convicted?

danm999

Oct 29, 2017
Sydney
Some insight:

www.dglobe.com

Without an 'in-between' law in South Dakota, state's AG faces small penalty in deadly crash

One month ago, county prosecutors charging South Dakota Attorney General Jason Ravnsborg noted the state lacked a "negligent homicide" statute that might've been brought against the AG for his fatal pedestrian-car crash. As the case proceeds, a look at laws across the region finds South Dakota sets…

Is there no obstruction of justice charge they can hit him with? He clearly lied through his teeth the entire way through the police investigation as Foffy sort of breaks down

So we've gone from hitting a deer, finding a human body, finding the person's glasses in the car, to "oh he wanted to die?" And he's getting baby bitch time for this, if he's convicted?

Rran

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

Here you go:
www.timesunion.com

So this jagoff's new story is that when struck and killed a guy with his car, he was actually doing him a favor:

Trial starts August 26th, dude is looking at a maximum of 90 days in jail.
good lord... how does this shit happen? Like, I'm aware of society's overall more favorable treatment to rich white guys, but still... is this simply the result of what a good lawyer can get you? I mean, the law's still the law, and I cannot imagine any prosecuting attorney phoning in a case like this o_0

(fwiw, I did just read about South Dakota's lack of "negligent homicide" statutes, but I refuse to believe this AG case is some never-seen-before incident in the state's history... like, are there just a bunch of people in S. Dakota who've been directly responsible for a another person's death... just out and about, living their lives w/ only a slap on the wrist for their actions? surely, at some point in time, state lawmakers toyed w/ the idea of "punishment should fit the crime" or something, right?)