• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dali

Oct 27, 2017
How is calling 911 after hitting a deer or a person a red flag? That's exactly what my wife did after a deer ran in to the side of her car.
After hitting a person you definitely need to call 911. A deer isn't a person. If the only problem is your car then why would you call a life or death emergency number after hitting a deer? If you feel obligated to report the road kill then call the non-emergency number.

Baji Boxer

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Vehicular homicide is just misdemeanor now days huh...
Pretty much a done deal when the sheriff is intentionally providing cover. Sheriff basically guaranteed that more serious charges would probably fail. Sheriff should lose his job and be investigated/charged, but we all know how that goes.

Jay1V

Oct 28, 2017
After hitting a person you definitely need to call 911. A deer isn't a person. If the only problem is your car then why would you call a life or death emergency number after hitting a deer? If you feel obligated to report the road kill then call the non-emergency number.
You call 911 so they can get an officer out there to help move the deer out of the way, put it down if it's still alive and suffering, or write a police report for insurance

Dali

Oct 27, 2017
You call 911 so they can get an officer out there to help move the deer out of the way, put it down if it's still alive and suffering, or write a police report for insurance
You call the non-emergency number for that. Do you call 911 for fender benders where no one is hurt?

breander

Oct 27, 2017
You call the non-emergency number for that. Do you call 911 for fender benders where no one is hurt?

Like I don't even know what the non emergency number is, If I need police, Fire, Medical for any reason I call 911 and they forward me as necessary. Nobody has ever told me any different or chastised me for using 911.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
As the age old saying goes. If you want to get away with murder just run somebody over also be white.

Jarsonot

Oct 27, 2017
Like someone said, 200 feet of skid marks means he saw something and hit the brakes.

Pretty safe assumption he was looking forward at that point, and pretty safe assumption the guy he hit (and stared at for at least 200 feet) looks nothing like a deer.

Going 70mph that's about 2 seconds. Look at something for 2 seconds. That's not a quick glance and glance away.

And he was driving on the shoulder? And he just left a bar? And he borrowed his friend's, the sheriff's, car? And they couldn't find the body? Sounds about white indeed.

Nacho

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
You know everyone can have an accident with lethal consequences, we're not machines so we can unfortunately make stupid mistakes driving, but a decent human being would stop and at least try to help or call the ambulance. If you don't do that, you should be charged as harshly as possible.
100%. There is literally 0 legit reason to not stop after hitting an unidentified thing with your car.

Oct 25, 2017
It wasn't just the "road kill," it was the disabled car too. Again, my wife called 911 and her car was perfectly drivable.

Like seriously, earlier in the thread it was a red flag because people thought he had just driven home without calling anyone, now it's a red flag because he called someone. I don't know whether to call this "damned if you do, damned if you don't" or conspiracy theorist-y. The guy was almost certainly speeding, driving recklessly on the shoulder, and likely distracted/impaired (by his phone or worse.) We don't need to dig in to the choice of number he chose to call to find out whether he's a fucking asshole or not.

Also:
LOL, so not to keep throwing my wife's driving under the bus, but last week she hit a patch of ice in a parking lot and slid in to the back of another car. No damage to either car and no one was hurt, but the other driver still called 911.

Wraith

Jun 28, 2018
Victim That South Dakota AG 'Didn't See' Came Through His Windshield, Investigators Say

During an interrogation on Sept. 30, investigators noted Boever's glasses were found inside Ravnsborg's 2011 Ford Taurus.

"That means his face came through your windshield," said a North Dakota Bureau of Investigation agent, one of two who questioned Ravnsborg for more than three hours in a pair of sessions.

"His face is in your windshield," the agent said as Ravnsborg groans. "Think about it."

Ravnsborg said he didn't see the glasses, either, even when he later went through the front seat looking for an insurance card to show to Hyde County Sheriff Mike Volek, who lives near the crash site and responded to the 911 call.

The agent said the broken glasses found inside Ravnsborg's car belonged to Boever, who was walking into Highmore when he was struck and killed.

Ravnsborg also was asked why he didn't see a flashlight Boever was carrying when the crash occurred at 10:24 p.m. When the agents arrived from North Dakota, it was still on, shining "like a beacon," they said.

The agents also told Ravnsborg they knew he was on the shoulder of the road when the crash occurred. He did not have an explanation for why he was there.

The investigators also noted he had made calls and looked at websites while he was driving from the Republican Party event in Redfield back to Pierre, the state capital. Ravnsborg had clicked on a Real Clear Politics story on Joe Biden and China just before the crash. He told investigators he had set the phone down before the impact.

"I believe I did not do anything wrong," Ravnsborg said. "I did not see him or anything. I did not know it was a man until the next day."
"His face is in your windshield. Think about it."

GameChanger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Prison for life. Nothing less. These guys are not above the law.

Why the fuck are a lot of you so negative and assuming he's gonna get away with this. The dude probably has criminal charges come his way. These things take time. Specially when you are white and have a powerful position. But this dude ain't getting away with this.

Last edited:

IamError

Aug 22, 2020
After these revelations I don't see how the Sheriff's version of the story can be even remotely true. I hope they both go down together.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How is this dude not in any serious trouble when the evidence seems stacked agaisnt him. I know the answer but holy shit this is some ridiculous bullshit.

Deleted member 2533

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
201103-jason_ravnsborg-mc-1558_e2d8c8b6eb139976912df730a3884b60.fit-560w.JPG

Yeesh, you'd think from the description that the driver ciipped someone, but clearly they hit the person full-on.

pj-

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
201103-jason_ravnsborg-mc-1558_e2d8c8b6eb139976912df730a3884b60.fit-560w.JPG

Yeesh, you'd think from the description that the driver ciipped someone, but clearly they hit the person full-on.

Unless that's a right hand drive car, the "his face was in your windshield" thing is kind of hyperbole. If the driver wasn't paying attention (drunk, drugged, sleepy, inattentive, whatever), and he clearly was not paying attention, it seems possible to me that he didn't identify the thing he hit as a human being for the 1/3 of a second or whatever he was in contact with the car.

"his face was in your windshield" paints a mental image that the driver was making eye contact with the victim through the glass..

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Unless that's a right hand drive car, the "his face was in your windshield" thing is kind of hyperbole. If the driver wasn't paying attention (drunk, drugged, sleepy, inattentive, whatever), and he clearly was not paying attention, it seems possible to me that he didn't identify the thing he hit as a human being for the 1/3 of a second or whatever he was in contact with the car.

"his face was in your windshield" paints a mental image that the driver was making eye contact with the victim through the glass..

Considering how half of the windshield is smashed in I don't think that's all that much of an exaggeration to say" his face was in your windshield".

pj-

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Considering how half of the windshield is smashed in I don't think that's all that much of an exaggeration to say" his face was in your windshield".

I mean, any exaggeration is bad when the logical conclusion from the statement as written is that the driver is a murderer. "his face was in your windshield" essentially means "you knew you hit a person", and that basically makes him a murderer since he didn't stop to try to help. Maybe other people read it differently but that's what it meant to me.

Of course he COULD have seen that it was a person, but I don't think it's as certain as that attention grabbing headline implies

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, any exaggeration is bad when the logical conclusion from the statement as written is that the driver is a murderer. "his face was in your windshield" essentially means "you knew you hit a person", and that basically makes him a murderer since he didn't stop to try to help. Maybe other people read it differently but that's what it meant to me.

Of course he COULD have seen that it was a person, but I don't think it's as certain as that attention grabbing headline implies

Well it's more than just that line or the windshield itself. There was the flashlight that was easily seen from afar and was still on at the scene, the guys glasses inside the actual car, the really long skid marks and so on.

pj-

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well it's more than just that line or the windshield itself. There was the flashlight that was easily seen from afar and was still on at the scene, the guys glasses inside the actual car, the really long skid marks and so on.

I think it's very likely that he was distracted and saw the guy too late, killed him, panicked and kept driving.

Far from certain though. The glasses thing is bad, but I kind of believe that he didn't see them because why wouldn't he try to dispose of them before the cops showed up? Maybe the flashlight wasn't pointed in the direction of his car. Was there oncoming traffic that obscured his vision? The skidmark and phone usage records are more incriminating than anything else IMO

Oct 25, 2017
It was already kind of suspect that the sheriff didn't find the victim when he was just a couple of feet off the road in 8" of grass and pools of blood on the roadway, that the guy's flashlight was still shining when the out of state investigators got to scene makes a cover up much more plausible.

I still have to say though, if you're speeding down the highway late at night, tired, playing around with your phone, swerving on the shoulder, then it's possible he took his eyes off the road long enough to not have seen the victim. Which, to be clear, should still merit a vehicular manslaughter charge.

Hope regardless that the fucker gets impeached.

linkboy

Oct 26, 2017
Reno
How is this dude not in any serious trouble when the evidence seems stacked agaisnt him. I know the answer but holy shit this is some ridiculous bullshit.

It's South Dakota. I live in Rapid City and the state government here is one of the most corrupt I've ever seen.

This state, led by Kristi Noem, is an excellent example of what would happen if the Republican Party has full control to do whatever they want.

The state government here doesn't care one bit about what the people think. They're doing a similar thing with the recently passed marijuana bill.

I'm not surprised he got off, in fact I fully expected it.

Oct 25, 2017
Is there anyone left who still thinks it's plausible that he thought he'd just hit a deer?
I don't know about plausible, but I do still think it's possible. I think he may have been looking down at his phone or otherwise distracted/impaired and not watching the road. That would explain why he had swerved on to the shoulder of the road. This is a pretty rural area, there's not a lot of people out walking around.

MoosGoMoo

Banned
Jan 27, 2021
A walker was found dead by the side of the road one evening and by the next morning the police had tracked the suspected car.

When officers got to the house the damaged car was in the driveway and the driver had booked it in at a local garage.

They thought they hit a sheep, which would have been very possible on the road in question.

The driver was physically sick and distraught when they were told it was a person.

Ultimately I don't think they were prosecuted due to the rural location and the fact the person walking had no lights and no hi-vis clothing.

Not saying this person is innocent, but it can and does happen.

16bits

Apr 26, 2019
A walker was found dead by the side of the road one evening and by the next morning the police had tracked the suspected car.

When officers got to the house the damaged car was in the driveway and the driver had booked it in at a local garage.

They thought they hit a sheep, which would have been very possible on the road in question.

The driver was physically sick and distraught when they were told it was a person.

Ultimately I don't think they were prosecuted due to the rural location and the fact the person walking had no lights and no hi-vis clothing.

and did their glasses end up in their car?

kami_sama

Oct 26, 2017

That might be true. But not in this case. They fucking found the victims glasses inside the car. He went outside looked at the corpse and escaped asap.

Oct 30, 2017
The windscreen evidence doesn't make it certain he knew he hit someone rather than a deer. At speed it would have been so fast it's plausible he didn't realise.

The real crux is the massive skidmark. There's no way you brake that hard that long, clearly having seen something, and not know it's a man rather than a deer, ESPCIALLY as he was carrying a flashlight. I mean, how many deers are equipped with flashlights out there?

The sheriff needs to be hauled up as well. This is disgusting.

Culex

Banned
Oct 29, 2017

Looking at the picture of the car with a hole in the windshield and the fact that the victims glasses were found inside his car seat....I'm gonna take a gander that then sheriff helped pull the body out of the windshield and they forgot to check inside then car.

MoosGoMoo

Banned
Jan 27, 2021
Looking at the picture of the car with a hole in the windshield and the fact that the victims glasses were found inside his car seat....I'm gonna take a gander that then sheriff helped pull the body out of the windshield and they forgot to check inside then car.
Yeah I missed the glasses thing.