• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

EloquentM

Oct 25, 2017
There is nothing calculating about this, it seems like a panic move, especially if he had been drinking. You are supposed to stop if you hit anything, he's fucked regardless, but driving home and then calling it in as a deer means no one is going to immediately show up at the scene and show up to detain him. If he called it in as hitting a person, then he's going to be brought in immediately.

It makes sense as a panic move if he had been drinking, but no it's not some well thought out plan.
No one in good faith even argued it was some mastermind plan but Fugu seems to think otherwise of us.

Fugu

Oct 26, 2017
What's he going to do with a car with front-end damage that probably has DNA or fibers hidden in every nook and cranny and which probably left paint on the victim?

Is he going to sell it? Junk it? Call some friend of a friend to do the work on the down-low? All of those are super risky moves and if found out speaks to Mens Rea much more than the story he's concocted.
I disagree that trying to get rid of a car after an accident goes to the MR of a hit-and-run (it's likely equivocal at best, especially if he's as shrewd about it as we're pretending he just naturally is for the purpose of this hypothetical), but even leaving that aside you're assuming he's going to get caught. This is much harder to do if the police aren't told where to look. And of course even if he does get caught he's only roughly in the position he's in now of having everyone already believe that he's guilty.

Deleted member 11413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No one in good faith even argued it was some mastermind plan but Fugu
Ik, which is why I quoted them to push back on that. The only way it makes sense is if he was drunk and panicked about the added charges for driving while intoxicated. There is 0 reason for him to leave the scene otherwise, because as AG he should know that he HAS to check what he actually hit.

Nappuccino

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It doesn't increase his guilt when the police are going to find his car regardless. That's literally the simplest explanation for him calling after the fact, instead of right during the incident when he was coming home from a bar. How was he going to cover up the fact that there's human DNA all over his car unless he says he never stopped, didn't know it was human, and takes the car home?
I mean, it would probably be easy to leave a car in a garage for a long time, take it through a car wash, etc. Unless his car had some rare paint or his license plate ripped off, I don't really know see why we'd expect the police to match his car to this accident.

edit: anyway, I'm not sure what we're disagreeing about really. The guy's an idiot to deserves to be in jail for a hit and run. That his hit-and-run was traced back to him because he was overtly trying to cover up the crime doesn't really change that fact, but add to his rap-sheet.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I disagree that trying to get rid of a car after an accident goes to the MR of a hit-and-run (it's likely equivocal at best, especially if he's as shrewd about it as we're pretending he just naturally is for the purpose of this hypothetical), but even leaving that aside you're assuming he's going to get caught. This is much harder to do if the police aren't told where to look. And of course even if he does get caught he's only roughly in the position he's in now of having everyone already believe that he's guilty.
There's no other reason for him to have hit a person and just kept driving like it was nothing, the only thing that makes sense is that he saw he hit someone and panicked. Him just hitting a massive living thing and continuing his drive without any kind of stop or even looking at what he hit is absurd.

Fugu

Oct 26, 2017
There is nothing calculating about this, it seems like a panic move, especially if he had been drinking. You are supposed to stop if you hit anything, he's fucked regardless, but driving home and then calling it in as a deer means no one is going to immediately show up at the scene and show up to detain him. If he called it in as hitting a person, then he's going to be brought in immediately.

It makes sense as a panic move if he had been drinking, but no it's not some well thought out plan.
Sure, but this is agnostic to whether he knew he hit a person or not. A guy driving drunk worried about being caught driving drunk is just as likely to do this after hitting a deer that they thought was a deer as they are to do it after hitting a person that they thought was a deer.

Edit: Just for emphasis, the post you quoted here is me responding to people asserting that he lied about his knowledge that he hit a person as some sort of way of establishing plausible deniability, which is completely distinct from asserting that he might have called it in because he was drunk and panicked.

Nappuccino

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
There's no other reason for him to have hit a person and just kept driving like it was nothing, the only thing that makes sense is that he saw he hit someone and panicked. Him just hitting a massive living thing and continuing his drive without any kind of stop or even looking at what he hit is absurd.
I guess if he was incredibly drunk he might not have known he hit anything until he woke up in the morning and saw his car. But . . . that doesn't help his case.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sure, but this is agnostic to whether he knew he hit a person or not. A guy driving drunk worried about being caught driving drunk is just as likely to do this after hitting a deer that they thought was a deer as they are to do it after hitting a person that they thought was a deer.
No one just hits a deer and continues driving full speed like it's nothing. In order for this to be the case, he had to hit the guy, not stop at all or even look at what he hit, and just keep going. I've never heard of that happening, at least not in a civilian vehicle

Fugu

Oct 26, 2017
No one just hits a deer and continues driving full speed like it's nothing. In order for this to be the case, he had to hit the guy, not stop at all or even look at what he hit, and just keep going. I've never heard of that happening, at least not in a civilian vehicle
The question of whether it's plausible in the circumstances that a person would confuse a person for a deer is a factual question that neither of us have the answer to. Country roads can be pretty damn dark, and besides it's in line with your own proposal that this was a drunken panic option that he would be less than thorough in his investigation.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The question of whether it's plausible in the circumstances that a person would confuse a person for a deer is a factual question that neither of us have the answer to. Country roads can be pretty damn dark, and besides it's in line with your own proposal that this was a drunken panic option that he would be less than thorough in his investigation.
Well yeah no one has the answer to any of these questions, only person who was there is the AG. It seems very unlikely that he hit a human being with no knowledge that it was a human being, and then checked to see what he hit (which he is legally obligated to do), still confused the person for a deer, and then drove off. Either way he is fucked but this is not a convincing explanation

Fugu

Oct 26, 2017
Well yeah no one has the answer to any of these questions, only person who was there is the AG. It seems very unlikely that he hit a human being with no knowledge that it was a human being, and then checked to see what he hit (which he is legally obligated to do), still confused the person for a deer, and then drove off. Either way he is fucked but this is not a convincing explanation
That's not an explanation I'm advancing though. I'm saying foremost that the theory that calling it in was a calculated move to stay ahead of the police is bogus and implausible, and that the panic move theory is about equally plausible whether he actually knew he hit a person or not. The factual circumstances surely influence how likely it is that he could not have known he hit a person, but that is irrelevant to the question of whether the calling in tells us anything about the likelihood that he knew he hit a person.

Deleted member 17092

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

I'd guess there are folks out there who might if they were driving a half ton pick up with bull bars in the front but in a 2011 ford taurus? Nope. He's also the AG and should know that he's supposed to stop and check out the scene.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That's not an explanation I'm advancing though. I'm saying foremost that the theory that calling it in was a calculated move to stay ahead of the police is bogus and implausible, and that the panic move theory is about equally plausible whether he actually knew he hit a person or not. The factual circumstances surely influence how likely it is that he could not have known he hit a person, but that is irrelevant to the question of whether the calling in tells us anything about the likelihood that he knew he hit a person.
I don't think anyone was suggesting it was a calculated move tbh.
I'd guess there are folks out there who might if they were driving a half ton pick up with bull bars in the front but in a 2011 ford taurus? Nope. He's also the AG and should know that he's supposed to stop and check out the scene.
Right

Oct 25, 2017
Where are we getting that Ravnsborg waited a long time before calling the crash in? The NYT article says he called it in at 10:24p, and he was coming from an event a little over an hour away that was scheduled to end at 8:30p. If he stayed to the end and it didn't run long, he got to the crash site around 9:30p (Google would put it around 9:40p, but I think it's safe to assume he was speeding,) so that's less than an hour between crash and call.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
He's gonna get probation and no time served. Should lose his legal license too.

I doubt he sees jail time.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Much of the first page of this thread is people arguing that he called it in despite knowing he hit a person to establish some kind of plausible deniability. It starts at the third post.
That doesn't make it calculating, the only suggestion is that he says he hit a deer instead of a person despite knowing he hit a person.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Where are we getting that Ravnsborg waited a long time before calling the crash in? The NYT article says he called it in at 10:24p, and he was coming from an event a little over an hour away that was scheduled to end at 8:30p. If he stayed to the end and it didn't run long, he got to the crash site around 9:30p (Google would put it around 9:40p, but I think it's safe to assume he was speeding,) so that's less than an hour between crash and call.
No one suggested that, the article says he made the call when he got home m.

Oct 25, 2017
He was at a bar before the accident. More here:

The event ended at 8:30. The accident was around 10:30. Was he still at the bar until he left to drive home?
The site of the event and the site of the crash are over an hour away from each other and it's not uncommon for events to run long or for locals to corner a state official after the event to bend their ear over some minor local spat.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So he... Called it in to accidentally create plausible deniability? How is that at all an honest interpretation of that argument?
No, he calls in something that doesn't require a police presence or anyone to go to the scene of the accident because he does not want anyone to go to the scene or the accident or detain him at that time.
My bad, I though I saw some people saying he waited for the alcohol to leave his system before calling it in.
No, but calling it in as hitting a deer also means the alcohol will leave his system before anyone finds the body, cops don't respond to a deer carcass on the side of the road.

Oct 27, 2017
Can anyone explain what this quote means?

"Ravnsborg "placed the call to 911 right after the accident, my understanding is that he called from the location of his vehicle," Bormann wrote."

Like, he was home and called from the car, or is he saying he stopped to survey the damage and called from the scene?

TAJ

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Or you know, but you go home and report it hoping to sober up by the time police come knocking.

Reminds me of the guy who hit me going 70+mph while I waited at a red light. He tried to get away but his truck was too messed up. Then he fled into the brush. He turned himself in later. He was probably drunk as shit that night, but no one will ever know for sure.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

"Ravnsborg "placed the call to 911 right after the accident, my understanding is that he called from the location of his vehicle," Bormann wrote."

Like, he was home and called from the car, or is he saying he stopped to survey the damage and called from the scene?
The timeline posted above says he called an hour after the accident, but this seems to suggest he called...at the accident site? Which makes it even more implausible that he thought the man he just hit was a deer, if you are waiting around at the crash site to make a call to police there is no way you can't see it's a person you just hit.

Fugu

Oct 26, 2017
Not really, not in the way you were suggesting as part of some larger plan to obfuscate the hit and run and hide evidence.
I didn't suggest that it was part of some larger plan, I suggested that asserting that he would cover his bases so well in one context and then not at all in another is absurd and makes for a highly implausible theory. And again, as I said to you, if the assertion is that he made a rash, drunk decision then sure, that's plausible, but it's equally plausible whether he knew he hit a person or not so that theory cannot at all be connected to the posters saying "he did it to cover up a hit and run" since the logic is equally applicable if he actually just hit a deer.

Oct 25, 2017

It's about 45 minutes from the site of the accident to his home town (probably less considering his traffic record,) but some clarity would be helpful.

Deleted member 2533

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just imagine if an autopsy finds that the victim bled out overnight and may have lived if they were rushed to hospital.

Oct 27, 2017
The timeline posted above says he called an hour after the accident, but this seems to suggest he called...at the accident site? Which makes it even more implausible that he thought the man he just hit was a deer, if you are waiting around at the crash site to make a call to police there is no way you can't see it's a person you just hit.

That's how I interpreted the statement coming from the AG's Chief of Staff. But it's written with just enough wiggle room to make an argument that he called from his house, which technically would be where his car was at that moment.

I'm just reaching here, because ultimately they could locate where the call was made from phone records

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I didn't suggest that it was part of some larger plan, I suggested that asserting that he would cover his bases so well in one context and then not at all in another is absurd and makes for a highly implausible theory. And again, as I said to you, if the assertion is that he made a rash, drunk decision then sure, that's plausible, but it's equally plausible whether he knew he hit a person or not so that theory cannot at all be connected to the posters saying "he did it to cover up a hit and run" since the logic is equally applicable if he actually just hit a deer.
The idea of him hitting a human being, thinking it was a definitively a deer, then checking the scene and confirming it was deer (despite it being a human being) and then driving away is incredibly implausible to the point of absurdity, especially if he called from the crash site (this is still unclear).

Fugu

Oct 26, 2017
The idea of him hitting a human being, thinking it was a definitively a deer, then checking the scene and confirming it was deer (despite it being a human being) and then driving away is incredibly implausible to the point of absurdity, especially if he called from the crash site (this is still unclear).
Okay, agreed. I'm not advancing that theory, though; I'm arguing that there's a categorical lack of critical thinking about the meaning of events in this thread.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Okay, agreed. I'm not advancing that theory, though; I'm arguing that there's a categorical lack of critical thinking about the meaning of events in this thread.
Well we know he called the police so if what I just laid out is incredibly implausible then there aren't many alternative explanations for why he called the police and said he hit a deer.

Oct 27, 2017
You would need to be going extremely fast to propel a deer or human far enough from your car to not see what you've just hit once you've stopped, or have continued driving a good distance to "reasonably" not see anything

Subpar Scrub

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone on ERA with legal expertise care to weigh in on this?

I don't know the laws of the state where this occurred and I don't care to check right now, but the amount of users posting entire multi-paragraph essays on what happened exactly, including the intent of the AT and mental steps taken in covering up the incident, gives me the impression that actually weighing in won't be useful. People have a narrative already set in their heads, no point in really talking about it until it develops further.

You would need to be going extremely fast to propel a deer or human far enough from your car to not see what you've just hit once you've stopped, or have continued driving a good distance to "reasonably" not see anything

Not true at all, depends entirely on the environment in which the accident occurs.

Nov 14, 2017
Do you drive? If so, are you a total idiot? Would you ever crash into something the size of a deer and not pull over immediately in any situation? Also, have you ever actually hit a deer? I have (technically, it ran into me). I would never confuse it with a person.

LifeLine

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Probably saw someone get away with a similar defense as a judge, and decided to do the same shit.

Fugu

Oct 26, 2017
You already agreed that him thinking he hit a deer is extremely implausible though.
No I didn't. I can think of many ways that it would be plausible. Maybe he didn't check. Maybe he did check, but it was dark. Maybe he did check, but it was the type of accident where it's unclear what you hit. Maybe he did check, but in a (possibly intentionally) insufficient way. There are so many possibilities here.