• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

sox

Oct 27, 2017
I picked up FF8 on iOS with an Xmas gift card and I was hoping to finally break the game completely for my run through.

I know you gotta not level up and try to turn everything into cards but I was hoping you guys could point me at the simplest guide (preferably a video) that explains how these systems work. Also any little tidbits you feel like chucking in would be appreciated too.

SirKai

Dec 28, 2017
Washington
You don't have to try very hard. I just made sure I had Squall (or whoever the lead character was) junctioned with stupid attack power while another character was junctioned to use items and have at least decent HP to just throw elixers and megalixers (modded from the Angelo and Bahamut cards respectively IIRC) after each time Squall used his limit break.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
I'm sure there are some comprehensive Steam guides for card game fuckery, but in this situation I am lighting up with Wazzy Signal.

Chainshada

Oct 25, 2017
It's been a while, but I think the easiest way to break the game early is to learn Card Mod with Quetzacotl, get Diablos' magic refine, fight some T-Rexaurs in the training grounds for cards. Then convert them all to quakes.

ceej

Mar 9, 2021
Reno, Nv.
I picked up FF8 on iOS with an Xmas gift card and I was hoping to finally break the game completely for my run through.

I know you gotta not level up and try to turn everything into cards but I was hoping you guys could point me at the simplest guide (preferably a video) that explains how these systems work. Also any little tidbits you feel like chucking in would be appreciated too.
I broke the game in middle school one christmas eve because I couldn't fall asleep. Went outside balamb gardens towards the beginning of the gameand leveled up all the GF abilities by attacking those fish on the beach for like three hours. Drew their magic till 99 and did Card games. I was so overpowered like 5 hours in that I never had to worry about any bosses basically ever. IIRC the fishes have a ton of AP, so they help you get the GF abilities quick.

GF abilities/Card Game against Balamb students staff/Convert cards to Magic and items. Game broken very early.

The main goal is to get the ability to attach magic to your stats. Once you get STrength and Quake magic, you attach to whomever and they're so overpowered its unbelievable.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
You can nerf the game's difficulty, simply by drawing/stocking super spells on bosses. I don't even bother with the advanced tactics.

Wazzy

Oct 25, 2017
If you want to avoid the booster options which allow you to turn off all random encounters then the quickest way to break the game is:

1. Learn Card and Card Mod from Quetzalcoatl. The beach has fish enemies that give a decent amount of AP.

2. Draw Siren from the boss in Dollet Communication Tower and learn L Mag - Refine. You can then convert Tents and Cottages into Curaga spells which heavily raises the HP stat for whoever equips it.

3. Play Triple Triad and convert the cards(using Card Mod) you won into items to refine. You can refine items by learning the refine ability each summon offers.

4. You'll be able to turn off random encounters without boosters early on once you fight a certain summon. When you learn the no encounter ability you're set on that front. Before this just run unless the encounter is scripted but all boss fights give 0 experience so you'll stay a low level.

Then on disc 3 you can get the best magic in the game with zero effort and break everything even more. Any character/summon card you refine can be won back at the end of the game if it bothers you but you do have to play against annoying rules so keep that in mind.

I'm sure there are some comprehensive Steam guides for card game fuckery, but in this situation I am lighting up with Wazzy Signal.
Thank you <3

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
Honestly the best way to 'break' FF8 is to get into and really enjoy Triple Triad

In fact I did a playthrough a while ago where in the re-release I turned off random encounters and just powered my characters through the card game. It gave me a lot of appreciation for how flexible the system is and now I think it's the best one out of the PS1 era games (from a mechanics perspective)

EVA UNIT 01

Oct 27, 2017
CA
Breaking the game is as simple as getting Lionheart on disc 1.

destroying it involves doing everything listed by Wazzy and more.
Good times

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly the easiest thing you can do fairly early on is buy tents (in timber first chance I think) and use Life Magic RF to turn them into Curagas. They aren't too expensive and provided you have a decent salary should be able to get 300 of them pretty easy. Gives characters I want to say ~5k of HP at that stage when normally you would have ~1k

Junction to HP and have far more HP than you need for the majority of the rest of the game. Beyond that, I would just keep turning enemies into cards (so you a) get more cards and b) don't get exp) and playing cards. Check all the Refine skills on the new cards, often you can get magic at a more powerful level than drawing (and you shouldn't be grinding draws anyway)

Lionheart disc one is cool but pretty annoying, iirc.