• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

brainchild

Independent Developer
Verified
Nov 25, 2017
Yes, you read that right.

Thanks to a series of very fortunate events, the Stanford professor has agreed (at my request) to answer some questions from resetera users about how we can address the greatest threat that we face as a species.

If you're unfamiliar with Jacobson, here are a few of his credentials:

B.S. Civil Engineering, B.A. Economics, and M.S. Environmental Engineering (1988) Stanford University
M.S. (1991) and Ph.D. (1994) Atmospheric Science, University of California at Los Angeles

Mark Z. Jacobson's career has focused on better understanding air pollution and global warming problems and developing large-scale clean, renewable energy solutions to them. Toward that end, he has developed and applied three-dimensional atmosphere-biosphere-ocean computer models and solvers to simulate air pollution, weather, climate, and renewable energy. He has also developed roadmaps to transition countries, states, cities, and towns to 100% clean, renewable energy for all purposes and computer models to examine grid stability in the presence of high penetrations of renewable energy.

Jacobson developed over 85% of the coding for a 3-D urban air quality model coupled with meteorology, a 3-D global air pollution-climate model, and a unified nested global-through-urban air pollution-climate model, GATOR-GCMOM. He started this endeavor in 1990 and has been working on it ever since. The unified model treats mutual feedback to weather and climate of both air pollution gases and particles and nests from the global through urban scale. The review article of Zhang (Atmos. Chem. Phys. 8, 2895-2932, 2008) calls this model "the first fully-coupled online model in the history that accounts for all major feedbacks among major atmospheric processes based on first principles." Many features in GATOR-GCMOM are now mainstream in other models worldwide.

To date, he has published two textbooks of two editions each and almost 160 peer-reviewed journal articles. He has testified four times for the U.S. Congress. Nearly a thousand researchers have used computer models he has developed. In 2005, he received the American Meteorological Society Henry G. Houghton Award for "significant contributions to modeling aerosol chemistry and to understanding the role of soot and other carbon particles on climate." In 2013, he received an American Geophysical Union Ascent Award for "his dominating role in the development of models to identify the role of black carbon in climate change" and the Global Green Policy Design Award for the "design of analysis and policy framework to envision a future powered by renewable energy." In 2016, he received a Cozzarelli Prize from the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences for "outstanding scientific excellence and originality" in his paper on a solution to the U.S. grid reliability problem with 100% penetration of wind, water, and solar power for all purposes. In 2018, he received the Judi Friedman Lifetime Achievement Award "for a distinguished career dedicated to finding solutions to large-scale air pollution and climate problems." In 2019, he was selected as "one of the world's 100 most influential people in climate policy" by Apolitical. He has also served on the Energy Efficiency and Renewables advisory committee to the U.S. Secretary of Energy and, in 2013, was invited to talk about his world and U.S. clean-energy plans on the Late Show with David Letterman.

You can learn more about Jacobson here:

I specifically requested this interview because Jacobson (out of all of the scientists I have been in contact with recently) has been the most forthcoming and is a leading expert on modeling projections for a world that is powered by 100% renewable energy, and there seems to be a pervasive sentiment in some circles that 100% renewable is not feasible/possible, so I wanted to use this opportunity to increase science literacy on ways to address climate change, whether that does or doesn't involve nuclear energy.

The interview rules are as follows:

1. Users who want to ask Jacobson a climate change-related question should post their questions in this thread, color-coded in green for better visibility.

2. Questions should be simple. No multi-part questions, leading questions, or questions unrelated to climate change.

3. Be respectful, both in the discourse through-out this thread and in the questions being asked to Jacobson.

Other notes about the interview process:

• While Jacobson has indeed agreed to answer questions, that does not mean that he is going to be able to answer every question. Please keep this is mind so that expectations are kept in check.
  • I will procure questions until tomorrow, August 25th, 11:59pm CST. Any questions submitted after the deadline will not be forwarded to Jacobson.
  • Once Jacobson has responded to the questions submitted, a new thread will be made, detailing the interview.
And that's it! You have a little over 24 hours to make sure that your questions are submitted. Fire away!

Hoodbury

Oct 27, 2017
What is the dumbest/funniest but still serious response you have heard from a non climate change believer?

Mr Swine

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Sweden
Here is a question to Jacobson!

With the potential that climate change is making the weather worse. Does that make storms like Tornadoes and Hurricanes stronger and more likely to be created?

Menx64

Oct 30, 2017
Awesome job brainchild !!

Wondering about how effective they think carbon-absorbing technologies will be to reduce Climate Change?

saenima

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is great OP. My questions are all very leading because i'm a negative motherfucker and think we're all dead anyway, so i'll leave the questions to other folks. Will be reading the answer thread for sure though.

Cow Mengde

Oct 26, 2017
I've been reading about various Chinese re-greening projects like the Loess Plateau, do you think these kinds of projects can (if adapted world wide) help slow/reverse the affects of climate change?

fauxtrot

Oct 25, 2017
What current Democratic presidential candidate has the best proposed platform to combat climate change?

ironichaos

Oct 31, 2017
What one thing can I do before bed each night to help combat climate change (so I can sleep better at night)?

Oct 27, 2017
What is your opinion on the role carbon capture and solar geoengineering, as well as the benefits or drawbacks of each, can serve in saving our planet?

TissueBox

Oct 25, 2017
Urinated States of America
Do you believe California is on the right track to achieving its goals of 60% clean energy by 2030 and 100% by 2045 and what strides are they taking to do so if so; which ones should they be if not?

Squarehard

Oct 27, 2017
Are we allowed to ask him about the 2017 lawsuit, and subsequent lessons he may or may not have learned in how to better or best engage/address in criticism related to climate change? This may include those who are staunch skeptics in opposition.

Oct 27, 2017
What can policymakers do about beef consumption? Cattle ranching is one of the most significant contributors to deforestation, but you can't just make a law that says "no one can eat beef". Perhaps taxes on beef or policies directly impacting ranching could work, but no one who wants to be (re)elected is going to campaign on that one...

TheHunter

Bold Bur3n Wrangler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is there a possibility for air scrubbers or sea scrubbers to remove an excess C02 from the air/water?

What are the realistic scenario's you thin we'll be hitting in the near future (next 10-20 years)

Sabot

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 31, 2017
If 1,000,000 people in America just suddenly decided to switch to a zero emission lifestyle, would that even put a noticeable dent into climate change?

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
As people, governments included, tend to be more inclined towards taking action as opposed to changing or ceasing behavior, could large scale public works help to stall further damage or even reverse some of the damage we've already done while we work towards developing the necessary changes in lifestyle? And if so, what kind of projects would it take?

EDIT: Modified my question to better indicate the nature of its intent.

Last edited:

Seductivpancakes

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn
How boned are coastal cities and islands like Hawaii and Japan?

Second question, if you're willing to indulge me. How many generations away from now, are humans going to suffer badly due to climate change?

Cow Mengde

Oct 26, 2017
I apologize if this isn't directly related, but I think it's worth asking.

How can we encourage more scientists to run for positions in government?

Takuhi

Oct 27, 2017
Over the last several decades, recycling has been the focus of the general public's limited interest in environmental issues. In retrospect, do you think that has been productive?

Bumrush

Oct 25, 2017
Assuming what we have already done is not irreparable, what ONE thing could we do to turn things around with the greatest benefit?

Phrozenflame500

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
How do we promote decarbonization in large, developing nations such as China and India while allowing them to maintain their high rates of economic growth?

Ubik

Nov 13, 2018
Canada
What form of renewable green energy do you see the most potential in from a mass adoption standpoint?

sphagnum

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Do you believe it is possible to mitigate climate change so long as the industries that primarily drive it (meat, energy, transportation etc.) are privately held and run according to a profit motive?

CallMeShaft

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Is the theory that California and Florida will inevitably be devoured by their respective oceans true? And if so, when is a good guess for when each state goes under?

Deleted member 8561

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
We actually have someone who is well known in this field and ya'll are fucking shit posting. smh

PNSA published a very in-depth rebuke of your recent 100% Renewable study, it included multiple authors from well respected institutions including Standard (your own academic institution for those who don't know)

Without getting too bogged into the details, how can you argue that 100% renewable is so easily within reach as you have been describing and promoting, while storage solutions on mass scale that are needed to gain 100% renewable are theoretical at best?

As well as key supporting data in your landmark study that has (in the peer review/critique) very fundamental flaws regarding hydro-renewable generation that has a major impact on the ability to achieve 100% renewable generation?

The most glaring of which is the assumption that U.S. hydroelectric dams could add turbines and transformers to produce 1,300 gigawatts of electricity instantaneously — equivalent to over 16 times the current U.S. hydroelectric capacity of 80 gigawatts. A previous study by the U.S. Department of Energy found the maximum capacity that could be added is just 12 gigawatts — leaving a 1,288 gigawatt deficit, or the equivalent of about 1000 large nuclear or coal power plants running at full power.

louisacommie

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
Even if we stave off the worst scenarios it is unfortunate we most likely won't deal with this fast enouph that some parts of the earth will be unliveable for the people there leading to major migrant crisis like the world has never seen and will likely lead to an even bigger rise in fascism then we are seeing even today
If we are to prevent this we obviously can't rely on incrementalism and based on past precedent we likely won't have a president and Congress and senate combination in 2021 that will take an uncompromising approach to climate change.
Meaning if we really want to protect evreyone in the world from climate change we need in addition to electoralism mass organistation with real leverage to force the biggest source of polluters that the United States has control over, it's corporations and the military, to end there damage
the million dollar question is how do we achieve this organisation and then actual produce results from it?

SneakyBadger

Oct 26, 2017
What is a promising but lesser known solution/approach to climate change that more people should be aware of?

OP
OP

brainchild

Independent Developer
Verified
Nov 25, 2017
Are we allowed to ask him about the 2017 lawsuit, and subsequent lessons he may or may not have learned in how to better or best engage/address in criticism related to climate change? This may include those who are staunch skeptics in opposition.

No, but he has addressed it elsewhere.

And to be clear, we will not be discussing the lawsuit in this thread.

Copper

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
Jacobson has been widely criticized for his absurdly handwaving projections that basically underestimated the factor of hydro needed to run full renewables by a factor of 2 or 3. In fact, he had to retract on several of his initial statements over the feasibility of his 100% renewables Plan. A group of climate and Energy scientists had to write a collective letter to him about this, to which he firstly responded by calling them shills of the Fossil industry.

There have been much more realistic 100% plans then the Jacobson One (i don't remember names now, but in short double overgen, 20% baseload and a day of storage is what you need in most scenarios, Jacobson was nowhere close to it). In fact, i'd be wary of anything this man put out After the precedents.

hanmik

Editor/Writer at Popaco.dk
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
what does it take for us to get on the right course again? How do we "save" humanity?

Cow Mengde

Oct 26, 2017
Jacobson has been widely criticized for his absurdly handwaving projections that basically underestimated the factor of hydro needed to run full renewables by a factor of 2 or 3. In fact, he had to retract on several of his initial statements over the feasibility of his 100% renewables Plan. A group of climate and Energy scientists had to write a collective letter to him about this, to which he firstly responded by calling them shills of the Fossil industry.

There have been much more realistic 100% plans then the Jacobson One (i don't remember names now, but in short double overgen, 20% baseload and a day of storage is what you need in most scenarios, Jacobson was nowhere close to it). In fact, i'd be wary of anything this man put out After the precedents.

Even if we don't agree with everything he says, we should at least try and use this opportunity to learn what we can.

For example, nobody takes Jack Horner's scavenger T.rex seriously. In fact, most of us don't take anything Horner says about T.rex seriously, but that doesn't mean he's not a great paleontologists or that we should ignore everything else Horner says about dinosaurs.

djplaeskool

Oct 26, 2017
With such a large percentage of the population living in coastal cities and areas, has there been any tangible advancement in engineering or design for controlling potential sea level rise, like sea walls, dams, or dikes? Are any major governments ready or preparing to handle the influx of climate refugees?

RoninZ

Oct 27, 2017
With the recent news of the Amazon fires in Brazil, hypothetically let's say 25% to 50% is wiped out much damage does this do to the atmosphere and is it reversible?

Deleted member 8561

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Another question just for wide ranging topics.

In terms of climate policy and emission reduction, aiming for 100% renewable with current technological constraints regarding storage seems a massive misstep in terms of overall cost and feasibility for short term and medium term emission reductions.

In short, why support a 100% renewable energy model for emissions reduction that requires breakthroughs in storage technologies that are not currently developed as well as major supply side limitations in pure raw materials?

Why not support a primarily renewable infrastructure to it's current limits that don't require currently hypothetical major breakthroughs in storage scaling, using currently existing technology to increase and modernize our nuclear portfolio while modernizing our energy grid?

What mix of renewable/nuclear can be achieved with currently existing technology and storage solutions? 30% non-hydro? 40%?

RedNalgene

Oct 25, 2017
If there was one thing an individual could do to help reverse climate change (besides calling our Congressional Reps) what would that be?

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
I shall come come up with a query tomorrow (pressure). I shall reserve my spot here.

And thank you OP for doing this.

Edit: So, Holy shit! The more I learn about climate prediction models the I learn I know very little about actual nuts and bolts of methodologies used. I ought to started studying a while back. I am looking into RCP and OMFG....

Still going through this: https://www.carbonbrief.org/explainer-the-high-emissions-rcp8-5-global-warming-scenario

Thankfully there is also a supporting video:

So, within the context of said article, my queries:

1. How do you teach a 'feelings over facts' base comprising of millions about climate modelling system in an approachable fashion that energize said folks to become environmentally conscientious without pushing them into climate despair (esp. in the face of big fossil fuel industry and governmental corruption) or apathy?

2. As governments around the world grow more insular, how will it affect the on-going study of climate and/or modifications or improvements to existing model/s (presumably no brand new climate models are in the pipeline given RCP replaced SRES not so long ago)?

Last edited: