• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Overture

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
Bad news for everyone. EA must have paid a pretty penny for the license and hasn't done much with it, canceling projects and leaving money on the table... oof. Battlefront wasn't as successful as they'd like too... those 10 years will come knocking eventually and their output has been bad (with a new gen coming I don't see the development of other projects getting any faster). Shit deal.

adj_noun

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
That's ok, I'll just play the Star Wars games in my head.

Oooh! There's KOTOR 3!

And a new TIE Fighter!

And a new Empire at War!

And a Battlefront game not mired in controversy!

It's a wonderland! :D

TheRatedD

Apr 15, 2018
We'll get a Star Wars game that isn't Battlefront any day now... yep... anyyyyy day now...

Waiting-Skeleton.jpg
And I can't even enjoy Battlefront that much as it feels too much like an inferior Battlefield game with a new skin. I'm glad I only spent like $7 on Battlefront 2015. I feel sorry for anyone that paid full price on that and/or its sequel.

Baron Von Beans

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I don't really care care for Star Wars, but fuck EA. Every single license they seem to have they bungle it so hard...either releasing a terrible copy and paste formula or just cancel anything and everything outright.

It was a glorious day whenever they lost the rights to Porsche. Hopefully next up is Star Wars. And maybe one day, the professional sports leagues that are so tightly wrapped around EAs pinky that gets shoved not into bungholes to make any deal *that* much sweeter.

ArmGunar

PlayStatistician
Oct 30, 2017
And people keep arguing Disney was happy with EA because Battlefront made shit tons of money...

It's not all about money but especially about brand's aura/goodwill
Something like Spider-Man which restored brightness to Marvel AAA games and hype for sequels and future Marvel games

Something EA can't do for Star Wars licence

Kingpin Rogers

HILF
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Glad I'm not a Star Wars fan. I'd be seriously pissed off at this point if I was. The fans deserve better than this.

Symphony

Oct 27, 2017
I have to wonder if there is a clause in the contract that Disney can make use of at this point to pull the deal with EA, they were likely expecting big annual releases from EA and have instead seen 2 titles in 6 years - one which put them and the brand in the spotlight for all the wrong reasons - and a bunch of cancellations. They've got 4 years left on the deal, what more can realistically be squeezed into that timeframe? Maybe 1 big project, a couple more Battlefronts and some cheap phone games.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
You're telling me they realised that they pivoted the wrong way?

What a joke.

Benji

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
We don't know the expiration date of the contract, right? Terms of that deal have never been revealed AFAIK.

Yeah I'm not familiar with how long the contract runs or what protections there are for EA / Disney to exit it

But considering how EA has failed to deliver on their end I'd be shocked if Disney doesn't exit the deal as soon as possible

There were after all rumors floating around after BF2 that Disney already were very upset

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
Literally couldn't produce one half decent singleplayer Star Wars game after all this time. How hard can it be for a company with the resources of EA?

GenTask

Nov 15, 2017
'Okay-ish' movies and no games. So far I'm not having too much fun with this "Nu"-Star Wars era. I've enjoyed some the comics, books are a shrug.

RavFiveFour

Banned
Dec 3, 2018
You could easily put out a Star Wars game because gaming has so many opportunities that allow you to make a game third person, open word etc.

JMY86

Oct 27, 2017
United States
Yeesh they better get their shit together down there. Star Wars basically prints money and we have yet to see much from EA. What a fucking train wreck...

Sax

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Wooooow, they couldn't have handled this license worse if they tried, what a shitshow.

Meg Cherry

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
Considering Disney/whoever is heading Star Wars was against about including wild cosmetics in Battlefront 2, I have to imagine there is a lot of bullshit to go through for the sake of canon.
Kotaku previously ran a big article on Visceral's dead Star Wars game that seemed to confirm this. Absolutely every detail needed direct approval from Lucasfilm, who were often unreachable and slow to reply. As a result, teams would just work on assets hoping they'd be approved - and tossing the work when it wasn't.

EA absolutely deserves the lion's share of the blame for this disaster of a deal. But it really doesn't seem like Lucasfilm has been a partner worth working with.

metalslimer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Deleted member 5864

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"It has become clear that to deliver an experience that players will want to come back to and enjoy for a long time to come, we needed to pivot the design again and just give it to someone else, because we just lack a fucking clue."

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
My assumption is that even if Disney did manage to cancel the deal, they'd just end up killing Star Wars games altogether, since they've shown no appetite for making the games themselves.