• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

awake4ages

Neo•Geo Saver
Oct 27, 2017
OK, so sorry for the double post, apparently - get this - another game has been announced. (Flashing light warning for this link - be careful.)

138df0a9df9cebdcb9c8ed886d753fc0.png

Hoo boy. The balls on Fonzie.

zasx

Oct 27, 2017
Oh my!!

I completely forgot about this!
Apparently I'm also getting the manga.

Laserbeam

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Checked my spam folder this morning (missed this thread yesterday) and was shocked that it was finally happening. I had completely forgotten about it and my pre-order.

I actually don't have a real Genesis at the moment, but this is still great.

Deleted member 3010

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Lol at this price it better run on the Mega Sg.

The Mega Sg should run any game that runs on a Genesis anyway...

killuglypop

Jan 9, 2020
Cannot wait to see some gameplay vids. Between this and the Cyberpunk debacle, what a year for gaming. It would suck so bad to get 2020 customs charges on a 2015 game

Shaneus

Oct 27, 2017

Found this, but I'm sure there's more. Spoilers given it's a full playthrough, I guess.

Doesn't look to be working on the SG, either:

Pretty sure that's some kind of copy protection Easter egg.

Smaug18

Dec 15, 2017
I do hope there is going to be an update for MegaSG for Paprium. Bummer it's not running as of now.

Shaneus

Oct 27, 2017
I still don't know about the added extra sound chip or whatever, either. Couldn't hear anything especially great in that video, so maybe it's just a regular cart.

Host Samurai

Oct 27, 2017
As a massive beat em up fan, I've been following this game on and off for the past few years. It's absolutely insane that this game is actually real and is in the hands of some consumers. Most surprisingly, it still looks really damn good given all the drama that went on with its shady development.

Kraid

Oct 25, 2017
Cuck Zone
Looks like my LE copy should show up on Monday. I hope it's working on Mega SG by next month when I can finally play it.

Dealer A

Jan 13, 2018
It's been so long since I pre-ordered this that I have since sold my Sega Genesis. Not sure how I am going to play this thing.

Kainazzo

Dec 13, 2017
Huh, looks I forgot to convert my GEMS into a preorder when I first placed it... 8 years ago. Whoops, maybe I'll get it sometime next year!

Last edited:

lazygecko

Oct 25, 2017
I still don't know about the added extra sound chip or whatever, either. Couldn't hear anything especially great in that video, so maybe it's just a regular cart.

It's there, but as you said it's hardly noticeable since the tech is barely even being leveraged much. There are a couple of PCM-based leads and chords used in some tracks. And in one instance I heard an ambient PCM loop from a TV prop with full stereo panning (not possible on native Genesis PCM) as the screen scrolls by it.

I think it's mostly underwhelming because there is hardly any noteworthy sound design to speak of and they could have done so much more with the tech, apart from the rare instance like mentioned above. The overall soundscape is really sparse even compared to baseline Genesis games like Streets of Rage, and the hit impact and enemy sounds are really muffled and don't even sound as good as satisfying as it does in those games.

I'm not sure if they even had a dedicated sound designer on the project.

KDash

Oct 25, 2017
Florida
Been watching someone stream this for a while. He's currently testing it on a bunch of different Genesis and clone consoles.

LabRat

Mar 16, 2018
crazy because i was checking the sega-16 forums like once a year to see if there are any new developments with this game so i was browsing there a couple weeks ago or so and saw the parpium thread was closed so i thought the game is completly dead now and boom, it releases out of nowhere.

so did the game turn out good? are there any reviews out or impressions? i still think police should investigate fonzie and the fact that his e-mail sort of implies he's planning on crowdfunding another game is HILARIOUS.

Shaneus

Oct 27, 2017
It's there, but as you said it's hardly noticeable since the tech is barely even being leveraged much. There are a couple of PCM-based leads and chords used in some tracks. And in one instance I heard an ambient PCM loop from a TV prop with full stereo panning (not possible on native Genesis PCM) as the screen scrolls by it.

I think it's mostly underwhelming because there is hardly any noteworthy sound design to speak of and they could have done so much more with the tech, apart from the rare instance like mentioned above. The overall soundscape is really sparse even compared to baseline Genesis games like Streets of Rage, and the hit impact and enemy sounds are really muffled and don't even sound as good as satisfying as it does in those games.

I'm not sure if they even had a dedicated sound designer on the project.
Thanks for summarising, I figured there'd be a few token effects but it does sound really sparse and vastly under-utilised compared to other games without extra hardware.

Shame, it'd be interesting to see what could've been done if it was exploited.

Any idea what the supposed extra chip was and what we should've expected other than that basic panning?

Stencil

Oct 30, 2017
USA
Oh this game looks pretty cool. $130? Hm. I wonder if theyll release it for other consoles. I'm assuming if they bothered to build it for Megadrive/Genesis that's probably a tall order? Idk how those things work.

ascii42

Oct 25, 2017
Oh this game looks pretty cool. $130? Hm. I wonder if theyll release it for other consoles. I'm assuming if they bothered to build it for Megadrive/Genesis that's probably a tall order? Idk how those things work.
Their previous game, Pier Solar, did get ported to other platforms after a few years.

awake4ages

Neo•Geo Saver
Oct 27, 2017
Their previous game, Pier Solar, did get ported to other platforms after a few years.

While this is true, keep in mind it was only after a successful Kickstarter. Also, Watermelon was in a much more... stable place. With Fonzie alone at the head these days I wouldn't hold my breath for any ports. It's honestly a miracle Paprium shipped at all.

ascii42

Oct 25, 2017
While this is true, keep in mind it was only after a successful Kickstarter. Also, Watermelon was in a much more... stable place. With Fonzie alone at the head these days I wouldn't hold my breath for any ports. It's honestly a miracle Paprium shipped at all.
Oh yeah, that's fair. Also, if it does managed to get ported, watch it just be to the Dreamcast or something.

Oct 25, 2017
Got my copy today. For reference, I'm in the US in the Midwest.

I have one of the early investor copies, and I did a quick unboxing (middle of the work day, so video isn't the best). I'll get it loaded in a bit.

HaL64

Nov 3, 2017
It has specialized hardware in the cartridge according to Fonzie. So I'm guessing Analog will not have a patch. Especially since its pirating?

Edit: I meant MegaSG not Analog.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
The patch would be to get it working...that wouldn't be pirating. Because of the specialized hardware this thing would be a massive undertaking to try to pirate. (Apparently the extra hardware is an Altera FPGA and an STM32 microcontroller...someone removed some of the goop on their copy...I'm not brave enough to do that on mine.)

HaL64

Nov 3, 2017
The patch would be to get it working...that wouldn't be pirating. Because of the specialized hardware this thing would be a massive undertaking to try to pirate. (Apparently the extra hardware is an Altera FPGA and an STM32 microcontroller...someone removed some of the goop on their copy...I'm not brave enough to do that on mine.)

Yeah I meant MegaSG, not Analog. oops.

Leynos

Oct 27, 2017
Holy shit, folks. I actually received a copy of Paprium. I had written the game off long ago, and gave up on it. I'm sure that it is decent at best, but I am very curious about the Megawire update feature. Has anything been said about that?

redrohX

Nov 26, 2017
The Netherlands
My copy should arrive today. I've read some tweets from people where the game didn't work with their Mega Drive models. I just hope it works on my Mega Drive, which is a modded PAL model 1. Also My Life In Gaming tweeted their copy seems to be broken, since it doesn't even load the mock game on the Mega SG.

Edit:
The game arrived! They went all out on the packaging and this is just the regular edition. The included letter by Fonzie is an interesting read. Everyone was at fault, he did nothing wrong. I'm sure the process was hard and stressful, but the guy lacks any introspection. The letter also contains a section on how to best play the game. Written in a half jokingly, half gatekeeping kind of way...

As I somewhat suspected, the game didn't work on my region modded PAL Mega Drive model 1. But it 's not because it's modded, it has the model number (1601-05) they mention in the FAQ about compatibility issues. It only loads the copyright screen and doesn't do anything else.
Luckily I have an older model 1 (1600-20), which I had to hook up. To my shock, the first time it loaded the mock game, which is supposed to load only on incompatible systems. But after turning it off and on again it did load the full game. I managed to play through the first two levels, before I had to turn it off, since my girlfriend is working in the same room.

First impression of the game is positive. It plays like Streets Of Rage and kind of looks like it. It felt nice to play and I really want to get back to it, so that's positive. It feels solid and professional. I'm not sure about the music, since they are using this custom made chip for it. I did hear some voice samples in the songs, but as far as compositions go, obviously it's not Yuzo Koshiro quality (and I guess I wouldn't expect that). Still, the song in the second stage did sound pretty good.

Last edited:

crtfreak

Sep 22, 2020
Got my copy today. For reference, I'm in the US in the Midwest.

I have one of the early investor copies, and I did a quick unboxing (middle of the work day, so video isn't the best). I'll get it loaded in a bit.

Did you get a tracking number when it was shipped? Mine has been only showing shipping since 12/15 Las Vegas