• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
As an attorney with criminal defense experience, let me say:

Chicago PD fucked something up. Forfeiture of 10k bail isn't shit, it's literally nothing, this isn't a case of buying your way out. I've had clients not show up to court and forfeit waaaay more than that and their case never went away, they still faced charges every time.

After the massive PR campaign they were doing, for them to then suddenly drop all charges without any plea deal tells me something fishy is going on for sure. Will be interested to see if Jussie turns around and sues the department in civil proceedings. If not, then there's something really weird here.

If PD fucked up Jussie turning around and suing them despite very clearly having done this would be delicious. This is a "let them fight" scenario.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
If Robert Craft can get charges dropped for his case, then I am fine with Jossie Smollett having the same.

How is faking a hate crime to boost your own profile -- which is the accusation here -- on the same level as being caught with a prostitute?

Jussie used an actual real issue that minorities face on a daily basis -- hate crimes -- for his own personal gain. In turn, this makes it less likely that someone would come forward when they're a real victim.

His career is over, that alone is punishment enough.
What job can he get now?

Might want to scroll up to the Empire writer's tweet.

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017
None. He fucked up, they know he fucked up, no one wants to pursue this shit. He already did some community service and this would've lead to more. They ain't messing him up. High profile case.

Nothing ever happens to team of people with money and influence.
Its funny some yall still pretending like you know whats going down.

DigitalOp

Nov 16, 2017
It's possible to think all situations where a guilty person gets off is fucked up. This is only so high profile because there's a celebrity involved.

High profile or not, people don't have the same energy when it involves cases of people posing their lives. That's my point.

This is ignorant beyond all belief.

The precedence this set is going to make it much harder for someone to come forward who actually was a victim of a hate crime, as they will be discredited and mocked and this will forever be used as an argument against them.

Nah, what's ignorant is you thinking people didn't do this from the beginning in the first place? You act like assholes and anyone who wants to cast doubt would need evidence to do it in the first place.

Where have you been? Are you an alien?

Nah it's easier to ascribe all the doubt and spite to one guy for his fucked up actions. Because apparently people of color shouldn't be looked at as individuals, and obviously the opinions of people, who's first reaction to hate crimes and rape accusations is to cast doubt, matters the most in those discussions.

Think about your frame of mind before you start calling people ignorant.

DevilMayGuy

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Faked a hate crime
Sent fake anthrax in the mail
Had two people he knows rough him up
Ready to send two innocent people to jail for a hate crime until he see's who the cops brought in are his buddies.

And that's what you focus on? You wouldn't be furious at that if you were in charge of your department?
Jeez it sure sounds bad when you say it like that

Oh wait, you're telling me that false accusations can lead to innocent people going to jail, and that we should demonize those who make them regardless of race/sexual orientation? Miss me with that reasonable horseshit

OtherWorldly

Banned
Dec 3, 2018
First trump gets off
Then avenatti gets to jail
Now Smollett gets off
His lawyer potentially gong to jail for conspiracy
a dc movie gets amazing reviews
Next month: avengers end game turns out to be a bad movie ?

Barrel Cannon

It's Pronounced "Aerith"
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
None. He fucked up, they know he fucked up, no one wants to pursue this shit. He already did some community service and this would've lead to more. They ain't messing him up. High profile case.

Nothing ever happens to team of people with money and influence.
oooh, so he still actually lied? This shit is too damn confusing.

Kayla

Oct 28, 2017
Good. This guy needs help, and not the kind that the prison system can give him.

Deleted member 9317

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
New York
oooh, so he still actually lied? This shit is too damn confusing.
Man, I'm not going to comment on my personal feelings about this case anymore, but there's far too much evidence against him than for him. Whatever, if he's innocent then I'm glad this is behind him. But we have seen far more guilty people in Hollywood walk out scoff free.

I guess Chicago PD has far more REAL crimes and hate crimes to deal with, including within their own force.

Squarehard

Oct 27, 2017
gln6bwoamx121.jpg

Fart Master

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
A dumpster
The count is like 5 million Vs. 2 at the moment

But now we wanna talk about acceptability...

Nobody saying he ain't liable or possibly guilty

Where's this energy for John Crawford's caller who got him killed?
For the white people using police as a bully force over nothing?

Y'all so damn selective that it just makes me laugh at it all
I agree

Deleted member 3058

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
Seems to me like the police fabricated a bunch of the evidence behind this case.

Jussie was planning on training with the two brothers and sent them texts about that and the police spun that up into an elaborate story about him negotiating an attack on himself when they had no evidence to point to that. And people were dying-- DYING to find a way to pin this all on him.

TMZ and a bunch of lame ass armchair comedians decided to run with that narrative.

EightBitNate

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
And to all the "ruined career is good enough" people, you seem to forget how forgiving Hollywood is. There are literal rapists and pedophiles that people stand up for.

Doran

Jun 9, 2018
Sounds like he hired the right lawyer. Good thing the job got done for him before his lawyer gets put away. Strange world.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
And to all the "ruined career is good enough" people, you seem to forget how forgiving Hollywood. There are literal rapists and pedophiles that people Stan for.

Post-Empire, I think he could end up on like, a show on Freeform or a SyFy original picture or something, on the strength of his notoriety alone. Frankly he was never going to be a big star anyway. He had been on Empire for what, 4-5 years and never really parlayed that into greater fame. Prior to this case most people had no idea who he was. Which is probably why he came up with this scheme in the first place.

Mr.Awesome

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
Seems to me like the police fabricated a bunch of the evidence behind this case.

Jussie was planning on training with the two brothers and sent them texts about that and the police spun that up into an elaborate story about him negotiating an attack on himself when they had no evidence to point to that. And people were dying-- DYING to find a way to pin this all on him.

TMZ and a bunch of lame ass armchair comedians decided to run with that narrative.
I think you need to review the case as you clearly have the situation wrong. The brothers implicated Jussie himself.

Deleted member 4353

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Any proof of this?

This whole thing is just insane. lol. I wonder if he'll come back to Empire.

studyguy

Oct 26, 2017
And to all the "ruined career is good enough" people, you seem to forget how forgiving Hollywood is. There are literal rapists and pedophiles that people stand up for.
FOX dropped him, still own the rights to his old music which I assume are all fucked up now.
He went independent last year and flopped hard. So I mean he's basically painted himself into some irrelevance corner after this. I suppose in some wild twist he could come back, but considering Empire was literally it, I doubt it.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
It sounds to me like the ONLY evidence they have that Smollet was in on it is the testimony from the brothers... so is "he said she said".

Who's to say they didn't set him up on their own, and use the MAGA disguise in an attempt to throw investigators off of their own scent? Then when they got caught they claimed he was in on it.

As crazy as that sounds, the whole story is bananas, so...

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
To wipe the record completely clean and drop all charges, someone on the police end had to have seriously fucked something up. Like the entire case against him has to be inadmissable for something like this. Likely either falsified or mishandled evidence.

NoName999

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
So the most likely scenario is that the cops did cop things that they always do because they really wanted to catch OJ Simpson again.

So even if Smollet faked the attack, the cops couldn't help it with their cop asses and did something asinine as cops usually do. Only this time, the cops got caught with their hands in the cop jar.

Status
Not open for further replies.